FMO Help Thread - Ask All Your Questions In Here!!!!

Andy H

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sleighty16:

im having problems with my network game

me and a friend have been playing a network game for about a month now

when i recently loaded the game up for some reason i was in control of both clubs and i cant find how to disconnect from the other club

it is doing this every time i load up

can any one help??!?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers fot that

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I have started a network game with a mate but every time he connects onto it he is a new network client and not the existing manager.

The game is mucked up as we cannot kick his last manager from a job so he can take it again.

Any help would be appreciated

Q. "How do I regain control of my team?"

A. "Left click on your name or team and a pop up should appear - resume control of team x."

That the bit? he tried and didn't work.

(find the thread very helpful by the way, only originally got the online workin last week after years of trying)

Guest Steve_S

I have a modified database that I have sent to my friend so we can play a network game using the same version. However he is getting an incompatible version message.... my database appears to be stored in...

C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db

My friend doesn't have this location, (I assume because i'm the host)... where does he need to put his copy of the db... and does he place it as a folder or does he extract the individual files into a location....?

his DB files appear to be in.. C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\data\db\800

Any pointers guys... v much appreciated..

If you click on manager options it's in there.

Anyway if he connects as new client all he should do is click on his name or team name and a pop up appears 'do you wish to resume control of team x'. If it does not do that then I dunno what the problem is as that is how I have always done and have others.

not sure if anyone can help as info a bit vague.

Trying to play over the internet with a colleague. On my side ive a mac dual 867 (powerpc) running 10.5. I have cable internet through an airport router. Ive forwarded my ports and freed them from the firewall.

On my mates side, thats the vague bit. He's computer illiterate. Hes got a sony laptop, running vista. He seems to say his internet runs via usb to a adsl modem with no router.

Does he still need to forward ports if he doesnt have a router?

I got him to turn off his firewalls, he seems to have more than one. A Windows vista one, but separately he has norton 365 and turned off this too which gave him a squeeky bum.

No matter who sets up the game, the other gets could not connect to server.

We are both using unpatched version of the game.

Im failry savvy with macs but know nowt about pcs so dont know what to advise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

If you click on manager options it's in there.

Anyway if he connects as new client all he should do is click on his name or team name and a pop up appears 'do you wish to resume control of team x'. If it does not do that then I dunno what the problem is as that is how I have always done and have others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gave that a try mate with no success, when he clicks on his team nothing comes up.

Makes the game unplayable as every time he comes on he will have to pick a new team because I can't kick him from his old team as it says he isnt online.

I also tried the disconnect thing in the holiday menu and couldnt reconnect to my team.

This problem makes it pointless in starting a network game.

Look forward to hearin any thoughts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lift_me_up:

since me and my friends play online, how to play this game windowed so we can get communicate via msn messenger?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

options/dpref/display&sound/untick full screen.

Me and my housemate have been trying to setup a network game all night to no avail.

We have done everything, port forwarding etc, yet despite being able to initially join each others network games, we are quickly kicked out.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it may be because it would appear as soon as I open FM, my connection to my server(router) stops - I can't re-connect to the internet. Would running FM windowed prevent this?

We have a wireless router (BTHomeHub - 8mb Wireless BT broadband). He is running FM (unpatched) on Vista while I run it (unpatched) on XP. He has Norton and I have AVG as anti virus (not entirely sure how to close Norton!?)

The two laptops can see each other, and they connect - then kick out the game straight away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 130507:

I should add we are both trying to connect to the game in the same room via the same router, if that makes sense?

I.E - we both have wireless connecting to the same router. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure your not sharing the same IP as that can cause problems when on the same network. Also try download the Hamachi software and follow simular steps as to what worked for me above and hopefully that should work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powlay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lift_me_up:

since me and my friends play online, how to play this game windowed so we can get communicate via msn messenger?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

options/dpref/display&sound/untick full screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've follow this instruction but still didn't work.

It says "changing the screen setting failed. Make sure your system supports the settings"

What should i do?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WillCav:

whenever i start a network i get two numbers instead of the usual one but none of these ipps work when friends try to join the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read this thread before posting as you have a router and the opening post links you to a website to help forward your ports.

SP: 2 fully updated

Net connection 2mb

ISP: Virgin Media

Router: none

AV: AVGFree icon_razz.gif (i no im a cheapskate)

Firewall: Windows

Me and a few friends have recently bought the new fm08. we played online games in fm07 fine but when trying to start up a online game in 08 it wont let us. The person hosting the server is fine but the others trying to connect they type in ip then hit ok and it just freezes. The person hosting the server can see it saying where in the game but nothing happens for us. weve tryed with each others ip's but still nothing. None of use a router and all the information is basically the same only difference is 1 of them has vista. I have read some of the comments and this problem happening not to only us. so if theres anyway to fix it then let me know.

Hi all , i am playing together with 4 people a Spanish Division game. I am Valencia and we usually play from the same place. When someone else tries to load the game, he automatically gets Valencia assigned and i cannot connect from home. How can the one who creates tha game switch teams so i can take again my team. I cannot host because i have a slow connection when i am at home. I ll appreciate any help Smile

SP: 2 fully updated

Net connection: 2mb

ISP: BT / SKY

Router: Bt home hub & netgear (sky)

AV: Mcafee (both)

Firewall: see above (both)

hi,

opened firewalls - succesfull

port forward - succesfull

same settings - succesfull

IP address - succesfull

Have managed to play FM08 (no update) with great success, ie no lag twice out of 7 nights we have played, however the other 5 still seems to produce the CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER issue. Why does this happen? when seemingly the settings have been correct (2 successfull sessions) Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I have set up a network game with my mates, everyone can connect etc and all is well when we're online.

My computer is the server and the only problem I got is that everytime I load the game my IP adress changes and therefore have to give the new one out evrytime we load up. I'm using a MacBook (laptop).

The other problem with this happening is that it adds my friends as new network client instead of taking back control of their team. Please help anyone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris_483:

Hi, I'm trying to forward ports to my router or something like that. But I need to know the port numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you read the opening post it gives you a link to a website for forwarding your ports and the ports required.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by youngrell:

Hi, I have set up a network game with my mates, everyone can connect etc and all is well when we're online.

My computer is the server and the only problem I got is that everytime I load the game my IP adress changes and therefore have to give the new one out evrytime we load up. I'm using a MacBook (laptop).

The other problem with this happening is that it adds my friends as new network client instead of taking back control of their team. Please help anyone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they click on their team name and a pop up appears asking them to resume control. You don't automatically get put back into the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maomaomaomao:

Hi all , i am playing together with 4 people a Spanish Division game. I am Valencia and we usually play from the same place. When someone else tries to load the game, he automatically gets Valencia assigned and i cannot connect from home. How can the one who creates tha game switch teams so i can take again my team. I cannot host because i have a slow connection when i am at home. I ll appreciate any help Smile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoever is hosting will have to go into all the teams and set holidays for all players then disconnect. Then when you all reconnect you should all be not connected.

Hi,

Im trying to start a new network game with a mate, but whenever he trys to join he gets ***this*** error. I currently have another game running with no problems and he had one going until he suddenly started getting this message whenever he trys to join.

We both use the beta patch and have done on other net games.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seanybb:

Hi,

Im trying to start a new network game with a mate, but whenever he trys to join he gets ***this*** error. I currently have another game running with no problems and he had one going until he suddenly started getting this message whenever he trys to join.

We both use the beta patch and have done on other net games.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are 2 versions of the beta patch released so make sure you both have exactly the same version of the beta patch installed.

ive been playing for a week against a pc using mate.

I have a dual 867 running leopard, 1 gig memory now,, was 512 but upgraded the other day to see if it improved things. He's got a sony pc laptop running vista, not sure what the specs are.

Once we got over how he has to turn off two firewalls (vista one and norton 360 one) in order to play, weve played with his computer as the server. I figure this is best as his machine is faster. My machine is way below the specs but has always ran fm fine as long as i dont select too many leagues.

In the network game it works fine, but it can be really slow. I dont mean generally slower but as in running fine then , whats going on slow. This may be due to my spec but surely his computer is doing all of the work???

When we are both playing our matches on the same day, there seems to be a delay in my match starting as if it gets his up and runnning first then does mine. I used to have mine on full game by mistake and it ran through the game quite zippily, albeit the whole game so took a while. When i changed it to key moments it keeps freezing in the middle of the game and the game can take 10 minutes. Why should it do this? Why should it take considerably longer than me playing a match when im not playing a network game?

Hi me and my friend hare trying to start a network game, we hvae done it in the past before we both got routers (mine is wireless adsl modem router: NETGEAR). Two problems, we are first getting the two ips with the slash and have gone through the process of just using the second one and trying the whatsmyip site. and when this is put in, it comes up with unable to connect to server. ihave got tiscali broadband and a norton 360 antivirus. could u please advice. thanks in advance

I have a router, so I do have 2 IP addresses with / inbetween. But the second one keeps changing between 2 completely different ones. I have a NETGEAR router, but none of the rest should matter.

Any reasons why or help to solve, because I cannot host, because when I give the IP it says error.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mikeyC26:

Hi me and my friend hare trying to start a network game, we hvae done it in the past before we both got routers (mine is wireless adsl modem router: NETGEAR). Two problems, we are first getting the two ips with the slash and have gone through the process of just using the second one and trying the whatsmyip site. and when this is put in, it comes up with unable to connect to server. ihave got tiscali broadband and a norton 360 antivirus. could u please advice. thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've not forwarded your ports properly I think.

Operating system? Windows Xp

Service packs installed?not sure

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? Virgin Media

Router involved? Linksys Router

Anti virus software? Nod 32

Firewall software? Sygate

Hey i have opened the ports from the router by typing in 10093 and 10094 with my ip address but my online is still not working i can join by using Hamachi but not without it which is really weird and i just dunno what i can do , can someone please help me out to get me online without Hamachi thanks. icon14.gif

Me and my mates have a big problem with our FM07 network game. After our host had aquired a virus on his pc, he had to reinstall his whole system.

Ever since, nothing is like it was before. The two others of us get kicked out regularly, especially at the start of most matches. It happens often, sometimes at every match sometimes just once a night. At times we get the message, that our versions are incompatible, sometimes we get kicked out by a out of memory error (on my pc? I guess that's what's meant there), sometimes there is no comment as to why fm07 closes down. Sometimes we can easily rejoin, sometimes it's like the server wasn't there and sometimes again re-joining is impossible sue to alleged incompatibility.

What could be the cause for that?

As everything was perfect before, we figured that something on the host's pc must be the problem but we haven't figured it out yet.

The game says that we DO have the same version number. However, the patch files have different names. The host downloaded a file called 474.exe from sigames while the others have a file called fm2007 7_0_2 patch.exe or similar.

The host has opened ports 10093 and 10094 via his firewall software but hasn't found his modem/router on the page you have linked to for port forwarding.

Does one of those sound wrong to you? What would you advise us to do then? Or is there something else we should check?

Thanks in advance.

in need of a bit of help guys

its the good old / in between the two ips when retrieving my ip, ive tried hosting and so has my friend both giving out the 2nd part of the ip but it doesnt seem to work,both have same version etc

any suggestions?

much appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricci:

I had no problem hosting games with fm07. With fm08 when my mate try to join a game I can see him appearing for half a second and then he disappears. He doesnt receive any messages, simply stays in the network page. It looks like there is something blocking him when he joins.

Any advice? Firewalls problem? Even if we tryed with them off as well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having the same problem...

Guest Hiroson

Operating system? XP

Service packs installed? SP2

Net connection? 2MB

ISP? F9

Router involved? Netgear DG834N

Anti virus software?AVG

Firewall software?AVG

The problem i have is, my mates can connect to my server, and if i press continue, and they press continue, it works fine. However if anyone connecting to my machine clicks on new user to select a team - the game freezes for like 1 minute or so and then exits to the main screen.

On FM 2007, never had this problem, have tried everything from re-checking my router settings, to disabling my firewall, turning off anything connected to the net. still nothing. i even got my mate to bring his laptop and connect via lan, but still the same problem. any help much appricated.

ps - we all have installed the new patch - nice work SI icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hodgey78:

When me and a couple of mate play fm 08 online, the 2 non server players matches run extremly slow, by the time I have finished my game to other two are just hitting half time, therfore I sit waiting upto 10 mins a time for there games to finish, we all play our games on the fastest settings, but the clock just ticks along at a incredable slow pace. We never had this problem with any of the other versions of the Fm series.

I know I might not have posted this in the right place but help would be very must apprecaited, this problem is taking a bit of the enjoyment out of what is a very good game.

Many Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have same problem too.

When me and a couple of mate play fm 08 online, the 2 non server players matches run extremly slow, by the time I have finished my game the other two are just hitting half time, therfore I sit waiting upto 10 mins a time for there games to finish, we all play our games on the fastest settings, but the clock just ticks along at a incredable slow pace. We never had this problem with any of the other versions of the Fm series.

Help would be very must apprecaited, this problem is taking a bit of the enjoyment out of what is a very good game.

Many Thanks

Andy H Can you help now I have posted in the right place??

Ok. The PC/Mac problem still has not been resolved. We were promised in the beta patch thread that they would be compatable come the completion of the full patch, since the build would simply be FM 8.0.1, but it isnt. Its quite annoying really, and im very dissapointed.

How can i play my friend, who has FM on a PC, when i am on a Mac?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Ok. The PC/Mac problem still has not been resolved. We were promised in the beta patch thread that they would be compatable come the completion of the full patch, since the build would simply be FM 8.0.1, but it isnt. Its quite annoying really, and im very dissapointed.

How can i play my friend, who has FM on a PC, when i am on a Mac? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived