[FM13] Travelling to Wembley in a Coach & Horses

chile_paul

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great job. Pity to end your time at Sheffield on a defeat but that seems like nothing compared to all that came before. :applause:

Thanks, it was a shame, but to be honest I was already looking to the future by then and I expect the players were distracted as well - both by the forthcoming World Cup but also wondering about who the new manager would be

After being sacked by Newcastle in mid season following a troubled few months, Pep Guardiola moved to Liverpool - his 3rd Premier league club having previously been at Manchester United.

Within months of taking over at Anfield his team lifted the Champions League trophy to leapfrog Jose Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson and secure his place as the most successful football manager of all time. Take that Newcastle United!!

lA5rRM2.png

mjzyQfe.png

Our World Cup warm up wasn't exactly ideal, although it did get better the closer we got to the competition kick off - so maybe I can hope that we're building a bit of momentum.

We played a Wales team ranked an incredible 110th in the world in March and despite dominating the entire game we couldn't find a breakthrough. This was an embarassing result but it could have been worse if my own player Marc Parry hadn't put his chance wide with seconds remaining on the clock. In preparation for our game against Mali in the group stages we'd prepared a final game at home before we departed to Spain against Cameroon but in a game we really should have won we were pegged back twice as a result of defensive errors.

Things improved significantly once we arrived at our pre-World Cup training camp as we held the hosts Spain to a 2-2 draw before a comfortable victory to boost confidence against the minnows of Northern Ireland.

RvUVXDc.png

I'm really not confident heading into the competition - I think we can match the FA's expectations of reaching the 2nd round but anymore beyond that will be a real challenge.....

Getting a result in the first match of the World Cup is always key to build confidence and to avoid the nerves that would immediately set in if we went into the second round of games on the back foot. Turkey were 28th in the world and only had a couple of top class players in their ranks so we were firm favourites but they gave us a really tough game. Phil Kakabouras gave us the lead in the 33rd minute which was a relief because I needed him on form and he had struggled in the warm up games, but just after half time Turkey equalised and started to look more dangerous.

Luckily in the 71st minute central defender Daniel Williams rose highest and headed home from a corner - Williams was an absolute star for us 4 years ago, he can't do it again can he?

QLhL3so.png

Our next opponents Portugal had beaten Mali in their first round game and therefore we were both sitting at the top of the group on 3 points. The winner would therefore have a fantastic chance to top the group overall. Portugal were also a team sitting in the mid 20's in the world rankings and with the exception of Chelsea goalkeeper Wilson Carvalho between the sticks they didn't have many players to worry us.

If Carvalho was their star player he wasn't living up to his potential as he conceeded an own goal in the 8th minute. To be fair there wasn't a huge amount he could do about it. Neville Padilla had lined up a free kick from outside the area and after it thumped the cross bar it cannoned back down and off Carvalho's back and into the net. However despite being second best throughout the match Portugal hit us twice either side of half time and Carvalho then recovered from his early slip up to keep out us for the remainder of the game despite creating chance after chance. With Turkey and Mali drawing in the other game, we need to ensure we get a result against Mali to secure our progression into the second round.

t2cXitd.png

I was conscious that getting off to a good start in this game would be key, the longer the game went on the more the nerves might set in as the possibility of going out in the group stages became more real. Luckily Neville Padilla and Anthony Gavin didn't keep me waiting long as they revelled in the space that Mali allowed them on the right and left wings. Padilla got the first, firing in as early as the 5th minute. Padilla then crossed for Anthony Gavin to tuck away our second on the 18th minute and when Gavin scored his second on the 36th minute I could relax knowing that the game was secure.

With the other group game going on at the same time I was being kept up to date that Turkey were winning against Portugal and with the prospect of still being able to top the group on goal difference I told the team to push forward - that approach backfired when Mali got one back in the 52nd minute and it wouldn't have made a difference anyway as Portugal managed to find an equaliser.

xkQR08a.png

I am worried about my goalkeeper - in 3 games the opposition have managed 7 shots on target and have scored 4 goals - that's just not good enough at this level. The problem is that I don't have a realistic alternative to playing Jordan Lopez in goal.

France and Netherlands are the shock departures from the competition in the Group Stage. France only managed 1 point against Uruguay, Japan and Bosnia & Herzegovna - you can't imagine that manager Mathieu Debuchy will be able to survive that inquisition when he gets back home.

We've really paid the price for failing to top the group and will line up against Brazil in the second round instead of Denmark. In fact in general the 2nd round has thrown up some really challenging fixtures - Italy v Argentina, England v Germany......

ToUs0EY.png

HOkZrI9.png

So we faced a massive task up against Brazil in the second round, but we made an absolutely stunning start. From an early corner the ball broke to anchor man Tyrone Moore on the corner of the Brazil penalty area - Moore swivelled on the spot and with barely any backlift fired the ball past Denis in the Brazilian goal.

We held Brazil off fantastically for the remainder of the first half, they barely mustered an attempt on goal and despite not creating any more chances ourselves we were looking comfortable.

Brazil started better in the second half and were creating more chances - we were still holding them at bay though until in the 83rd minute Elton at last managed to break our defence down to find an equaliser. That made things level and as we headed into extra time it gave me a problem, despite having looked comfortably defensively we hadn't really created a chance since taking the lead in the 8th minute. We needed to push forward more but in doing so that gave Brazil more space at the back and buoyed by his first goal Elton found a second with only minutes to go in the 114th minute. With only 6 minutes left to play we pushed everybody forward but it was too late we were out....

Once again I have to look at my goalkeeper and question his performance - against Brazil we were really expecting plenty of shots on target - in the end our defence had managed to restrict them to 4 shots in 120 minutes of play but they'd scored from 2 of them. I have to take responsibility for not making the change after the group stages, but I'm now really going to have to look at this for the future.

Q1LTMM9.png

Pity to go out to Brazil like that :(

Gutted :(

Harsh, very very harsh but you did rather well, considering the circumstances and lack of a decent goalie. Wasn't Tim Howard available? ;)

To be fair Jordan Lopez has been a really good keeper for us - in previous years he's been the equivalent of Tim Howard and he is the regular first team keeper for Bayern Munich so he is getting plenty of top flight football. However after these recent performances especially given he's 33 now and will be 37 by the time of the next World Cup he is going to be dropped to give some others a chance.

Having knocked us out in the second round, Brazil progressed all the way to the final relying on penalties to knock out Algeria before beating Spain 2-0 in the semi-final. There they faced an England side who had impressively beaten Germany, Portugal and then on penalties Italy to make it to the final.

ICqFcwq.png

A very tight game ended up going to penalties where England remarkably won a second penalty shoot out in a row to lift the World Cup for the second time in 3 attempts.

gOJDIPB.png

Presumably you're continuing with the US for a while, will you have any interest in a new club anytime soon?

I was in two minds about whether to continue with the US or not - the quality of the youngsters coming through isn't great and we've lost some good players over recent years - we also don't have much else to win having previously lifted the World Cup and the Gold Cup. The only competitions I haven't won with the US are the Olympics and the Confederations Cup. I think I'll stay on for now, there's a good reason for me to remain with the US which you'll see shortly - but the situation will remain under review.

News on a new club to follow shortly - I've actually already taken over (before the World Cup started) but it made sense to summarise that before telling you where I've ended up.....

What went on Elsewhere?

English Premier League

2020/21 - 1st Chelsea 2nd Newcastle United 3rd Liverpool 4th Man Utd - Relegated Huddersfield Town, Millwall, Wigan Athletic

2021/22 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Newcastle United 3rd Man City 4th Tottenham - Relegated Blackburn Rovers, Burnley, Ipswich Town

2022/23 - 1st Newcastle United 2nd Man City 3rd Arsenal 4th Man Utd - Relegated Huddersfield Town, Millwall, Fulham

2023/24 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Man City 3rd Arsenal 4th Newcastle United - Relegated Ipswich Town, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley

2024/25 - 1st Newcastle United 2nd Man United 3rd Sheffield FC 4th Arsenal - Relegated Blackburn Rivers, Stoke City, Wigan Athletic

2025/26 - 1st Chelsea 2nd Man United 3rd Arsenal 4th Sheffield FC - Relegated WBA, Millwall, Bolton Wanderers

2026/27 - 1st Sheffield FC 2nd Liverpool 3rd Newcastle United 4th Arsenal - Relegated Southampton, Wigan Athletic, Bristol City

2027/28 - 1st Sheffield FC 2nd Arsenal 3rd Chelsea 4th Man City - Relegated Ipswich Town, Blackburn Rovers, Sunderland

2028/29 - 1st Sheffield FC 2nd Newcastle United 3rd Liverpool 4th Arsenal - Relegated Stoke City, Bolton Wanderers, Wolverhampton Wanderers

2029/30 - 1st Sheffield FC 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City 4th Arsenal - Relegated Sunderland, West Ham United, Wigan Athletic

FA Cup

2020/21 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Aston Villa

2021/22 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Ipswich Town

2022/23 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Man Utd

2023/24 - Winners Southampton Runners-Up Tottenham Hotspur

2024/25 - Winners Stoke City Runners-Up Man City

2025/26 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Newcastle United

2026/27 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Newcastle United

2027/28 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Man City

2028/29 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Newcastle United

2029/30 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Chelsea

League Cup

2020/21 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Man City

2021/22 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Arsenal

2022/23 - Winners Man Utd Runners-Up Chelsea

2023/24 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Liverpool

2024/25 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Chelsea

2025/26 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Man City

2026/27 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Aston Villa

2027/28 - Winners Norwich Runners-Up Newcastle United

2028/29 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Chelsea

2029/30 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Man City

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Liga BBVA

2020/21 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Valencia 4th Sevilla - Relegated Malaga CF, Tenerife, UD Almeria

2021/22 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Valencia 4th Atletico Madrid - Relegated Recreativo de Huelva, Gimnastic, Granada CF

2022/23 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Sevilla 4th Valencia - Relegated Levante UD, Alaves, Hercules CF

2023/24 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Sevilla 4th Atletico Madrid - Relegated Deportivo La Coruna, Osasuna, Malaga CF

2024/25 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Valencia 4th Sevilla - Relegated Sporting Gijon, Recreativo de Huelva, Getafe

2025/26 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Real Sociedad 4th Real Betis - Relegated Elche CF, Hercules CF, Ponferradina

2026/27 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Sevilla 4th Athletic Club - Relegated Deportivo de la Coruna, Osasuna, Tenerife

2027/28 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Sociedad 3rd Valencia 4th Real Madrid - Relegated Elche CF, Malaga CF, Sporting Gijon

2028/29 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Real Betis 4th Espanyol - Relegated Granada CF, Celta Vigo, Ponferradina

2029/30 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Valencia 4th Real Betis - Relegated Getafe, Malaga CF, FC Cartagena

Copa del Rey

2020/21 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2021/22 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2022/23 - Winners Real Sociedad Runners-Up Atletico Madrid

2023/24 - Winners Valencia Runners-Up Real Madrid

2024/25 - Winners Real Madrid Runners-Up Valencia

2025/26 - Winners Sevilla Runners-Up Hercules CF

2026/27 - Winners Real Madrid Runners-Up Sevilla

2027/28 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2028/29 - Winners Espanyol Runners-Up Barcelona

2029/30 - Winners Real Madrid Runners-Up Real Betis

Serie A TIM

2020/21 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Inter Milan 3rd Napoli 4th Juventus - Relegated Cesena, Pescara, Bologna

2021/22 - 1st Juventus 2nd AC Milan 3rd Fiorentina 4th Sampdoria - Relegated ASG Nocerina, Ascoli, Reggina

2022/23 - 1st Parma 2nd Napoli 3rd Palermo 4th Sampdoria - Relegated Udinese, Catania, Brescia

2023/24 - 1st Napoli 2nd Inter Milan 3rd Lazio 4th Spezia - Relegated Atalanta, Bologna, Fiorentina

2024/25 - 1st Inter Milan 2nd Sampdoria 3rd Napoli 4th AC Milan - Relegated Bari, Pescara, Cagliari

2025/26 - 1st Juventus 2nd Parma 3rd Spezia 4th Treviso - Relegated Cremonese, Atalanta, AS Roma

2026/27 - 1st Parma 2nd Juventus 3rd Spezia 4th Lazio - Relegated Bologna, Bari, Cesena

2027/28 - 1st Inter Milan 2nd Juventus 3rd Napoli 4th Parma - Relegated Atalanta, Pescara, Reggina

2028/29 - 1st Inter Milan 2nd Napoli 3rd Parma 4th AC Milan - Relegated Lazio, Genoa, Cesena

2029/30 - 1st Parma 2nd Inter Milan 3rd Juventus 4th Napoli - Relegated Cagliari, Reggina, Bologna

TIM Cup

2020/21 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up Lazio

2021/22 - Winners Fiorentina Runners-Up Parma

2022/23 - Winners Sampdoria Runners-Up Napoli

2023/24 - Winners Parma Runners-Up Cagliari

2024/25 - Winners Lazio Runners-Up Juventus

2025/26 - Winners Parma Runners-Up Napoli

2026/27 - Winners Spezia Runners-Up Bari

2027/28 - Winners Ternana Runners-Up Fiorentina

2028/29 - Winners Parma Runners-Up Lazio

2029/30 - Winners Spezia Runners-Up AC Milan

Bundesliga

2020/21 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Bayer Leverkusen 3rd Borussia Dortmund 4th FC Schalke 04 - Relegated TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, Babelsberg

2021/22 - 1st Borussia Dortmund 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated Hertha Berlin, 1.FC Union Berlin

2022/23 - 1st FC Schalke 04 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd 1.FC Nurnberg 4th Hamburg SV - Relegated Fortuna Dusseldorf, MSV Duisburg

2023/24 - 1st 1.FC Nurnberg 2nd Bayer Leverkusen 3rd Borussia Dortmund 4th Bayern Munich - Relegated Hannover 96, Hamburg SV, 1.FSV Mainz

2024/25 - 1st Bayer Leverkusen 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd Bayern Munich 4th 1.FC Nurnberg - Relegated MSV Duisburg, 1.FC Union Berlin

2025/26 - 1st Borussia Dortmund 2nd 1.FC Nurnberg 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated VfB Stuttgart, VfL Bochum

2026/27 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Mochengladbach 3rd Bayer Leverkusen 4th Borussia Dortmund - Relegated TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, MSV Duisburg

2027/28 - 1st Borussia Dortmund 2nd FC Bayern Munich 3rd Bayer Leverkusen 4th SC Freiburg - Relegated Hamburg SV, Babelsberg

2028/29 - 1st Borussia Dortmund 2nd FC Bayern Munich 3rd 1.FC Nurnberg 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated VfB Stuttgart, SV Werder Bremen

2029/30 - 1st FC Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd 1. FC Nurnberg 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated 1.FC Kaiserslautern, 1.FC Koln, Dynamo Dresden

DFB Pokal

2020/21 - Winners Wolfsburg Runners-Up Hamburg

2021/22 - Winners Bayer Leverkusen Runners-Up Fortuna Dusseldorf

2022/23 - Winners Fortuna Dusseldorf Runners-Up 1.FSV Mainz 05

2023/24 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up 1.FC Koln

2024/25 - Winners Bayer Leverkusen Runners-Up SC Freiburg

2025/26 - Winners FC SChalke 04 Runners-Up MSV Duisburg

2026/27 - Winners TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Runners-Up Wolfsburg

2027/28 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Wolfsburg

2028/29 - Winners 1.FSV Mainz 05 Runners-Up Borussia Mochengladbach

2029/30 - Winners VfL Wolfsburg Runners-Up Hamburg SV

French Ligue 1

2020/21 - 1st Saint-Etienne 2nd Toulouse 3rd Lille 4th Marseille - Relegated Evian TG, Clermont Foot 63, Metz

2021/22 - 1st Lille 2nd PSG 3rd Saint Etienne 4th Lens - Relegated Troyes, Stade Reims, Nancy

2022/23 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd PSG 3rd Saint Etienne 4th Lille - Relegated Auxerre, Istres, Evian TG

2023/24 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd Lille 3rd Montpellier Herault SC 4th AS Monaco - Relegated Guingamp, Metz, Vannes

2024/25 - 1st Lille 2nd PSG 3rd Bordeaux 4th Olympique Marseille - Relegated Nancy, Lorient, Dijon

2025/26 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd Lille 3rd Montpellier Herault SC 4th Saint-Etienne - Relegated Istres, Gazelec FC Ajaccio, Nantes

2026/27 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd PSG 3rd Lyon 4th Lille - Relegated Rennes, FC Sochaux, Auxerre

2027/28 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd Lille 3rd Saint Etienne 4th Lyon - Relegated Caen, Brest, Lorient

2028/29 - 1st Lille 2nd Olympique Marseille 3rd Lyon 4th PSG - Relegated Ajaccio, FC Sochaux, Clermont Foot 63

2029/30 - 1st Olympique Marseille 2nd Lille 3rd Saint Etienne 4th PSG - Relegated Arles-Avignon, Gazelec FC Ajaccio, Rennes

Coupe de France

2020/21 - Winners Dijon Runners-Up Metz

2021/22 - Winners Monaco Runners-Up PSG

2022/23 - Winners Bordeaux Runners-Up Auxerre

2023/24 - Winners Olympique Marseille Runners-Up Bordeaux

2024/25 - Winners Monaco Runners-Up Lille

2025/26 - Winners Olympique Marseille Runners-Up Saint-Etienne

2026/27 - Winners Toulouse Runners-Up Monaco

2027/28 - Winners Ajaccio Runners-Up Stade Reims

2028/29 - Winners Toulouse Runners-Up Lille

2029/30 - Winners Lens Runners-Up Sedan

Coupe de la Ligue

2020/21 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Lyon

2021/22 - Winners PSG Runners-Up Nancy

2022/23 - Winners Olympique Marseille Runners-Up Rennes

2023/24 - Winners Rennes Runners-Up Lille

2024/25 - Winners Monaco Runners-Up Ajaccio

2025/26 - Winners Montpellier Herault SC Runners-Up Olympique Marseille

2026/27 - Winners Toulouse Runners-Up Lille

2027/28 - Winners Monaco Runners-Up Valenciennes

2028/29 - Winners Ajaccio Runners-Up Toulouse

2029/30 - Winners Bordeaux Runners-Up AS Monaco

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

2020/21 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Motherwell 4th St. Mirren - Relegated Hibernian

2021/22 - 1st Celtic 2nd Motherwell 3rd Rangers 4th Hearts - Relegated Dundee United

2022/23 - 1st Celtic 2nd Rangers 3rd Hibernian 4th Motherwell - Relegated East Stirlingshire

2023/24 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd St. Mirren 4th Rangers - Relegated Dundee United

2024/25 - 1st St. Mirren 2nd Rangers 3rd Celtic 4th Motherwell - Relegated Ross County

2025/26 - 1st Celtic 2nd Rangers 3rd Motherwell 4th Hibernian - Relegated St Johnstone

2026/27 - 1st Celtic 2nd Rangers 3rd Motherwell 4th St. Mirren - Relegated Kilmarnock

2027/28 - 1st Celtic 2nd Motherwell 3rd St Mirren 4th Rangers - Relegated Airdrie United

2028/29 - 1st Rangers 2nd Celtic 3rd Motherwell 4th St. Mirren - Relegated Dundee

2029/30 - 1st Celtic 2nd Rangers 3rd St. Mirren 4th Motherwell - Relegated St Johnstone

Scottish FA Cup

2020/21 - Winners Hibernian Runners-Up St. Mirren

2021/22 - Winners Motherwell Runners-Up Hearts

2022/23 - Winners Hearts Runners-Up East Stirlingshire

2023/24 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Dundee

2024/25 - Winners Rangers Runners-Up Hearts

2025/26 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Rangers

2026/27 - Winners Rangers Runners-Up Kilmarnock

2027/28 - Winners Partick Thistle Runners-Up Celtic

2028/29 - Winners Hearts Runners-Up Ross County

2029/30 - Winners St. Mirren Runners-Up Motherwell

Scottish League Cup

2020/21 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Motherwell

2022/23 - Winners St. Mirren Runners-Up Hearts

2023/24 - Winners Rangers Runners-Up Motherwell

2024/25 - Winners Kilmarnock Runners-Up Celtic

2025/26 - Winners St. Mirren Runners-Up Falkirk

2026/27 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Falkirk

2027/28 - Winners Motherwell Runners-Up St Mirren

2028/29 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Partick Thistle

2029/30 - Winners Rangers Runners-Up St Johnstone

Champions League

2020/21 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Porto

2021/22 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Barcelona

2022/23 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Man Utd

2023/24 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2024/25 - Winners Real Madrid Runners-Up Newcastle United

2025/26 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Porto

2026/27 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Barcelona

2027/28 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Olympique Marseille

2028/29 - Winners Sheffield FC Runners-Up Arsenal

2029/30 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up FC Barcelona

Europa League

2020/21 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Man City

2021/22 - Winners Man City Runners-Up FC Schalke 04

2022/23 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Ajax

2023/24 - Winners Saint Etienne Runners-Up West Ham

2024/25 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Sheffield FC

2025/26 - Winners 1. FC Nurnberg Runners-Up Real Madrid

2026/27 - Winners Valencia Runners-Up Newcastle United

2027/28 - Winners Manchester United Runners-Up Lille

2027/28 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Norwich City

2029/30 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Sporting Lisbon

World Cup

2014 - Winners Spain Runners-Up France

2018 - Winners Spain Runners-Up Belgium

2022 - Winners England Runners-Up Brazil

2026 - Winners USA Runners-Up Croatia

2030 - Winners England Runners-Up Brazil

European Championship

2016 - Winners Netherlands Runners-Up England

2020 - Winners Italy Runners-Up Spain

2024 - Winners Spain Runners-Up Netherlands

2028 - Winners Germany Runners-Up Croatia

In the days running up to the start of the World Cup a job became available that I couldn't not apply for.........

PtufXrO.png

A couple of factors that were involved in my thinking

• I've never managed in the US before in any version of FM
  • I want to manage on another continent in my next role so I'm not competing against Sheffield FC
  • I'd really like to have a go managing with the madness of the MLS transfer system
  • I'm already considered a god in the US having lifted the World Cup with them 4 years ago
  • I'd have the opportunity to develop some good young US talents to make it through to the US national squad

That just left some negotiations to be completed between myself and the chairman

zgJPMXI.png

VXX65G1.png

RYod28x.png

D.C. United is an American professional soccer club based in Washington, D.C. It is one of the ten charter clubs of MLS, having competed in the league since its inception, in 1996.

The team's home field is the 45,596-seat Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, owned by the District of Columbia and located on the Anacostia River. The team is owned by the consortium D.C. United Holdings.

NdXAEfK.jpg

In the league's early years, D.C. was the most successful of all the teams. In their first year, coach Bruce Arena led the team to the first "double" in modern U.S. soccer history by beating the Los Angeles Galaxy in the first MLS Cup and the Rochester Raging Rhinos of the USL First Division in the 1996 U.S. Open Cup. D.C. repeated its MLS Cup victory in 1997 against the Colorado Rapids, in front of a home crowd at RFK Stadium. However in recent times D.C. have fallen away and have struggled to form a regular challenge on the MLS title, the exception to this being a brief resurgence in 2026 and 2028.

xVWNlty.png

bZ7QbyL.png

Manager Ben Olsen was in charge at DC United for over 15 years but in the midst of a very poor season following DC United's last title the board decided to dispense with his services. Simon Figueroa took over but his spell in charge was less than 6 months as he failed to improve the side's fortune.

XENAZGP.png

As I take over the club are languishing in 9th place in the Eastern conference with only 10 points on the board from 12 games played. The board are expecting me to secure a place in the play-offs by the end of the season which should be achievable, but we'll need to start turning results around soon.

gorjnRD.png

The club's finances are healthy, although not as strong as they have been in recent years - the new deal with Sheffield FC will definitely help to maintain this position.

2kqYMlc.png

cYPHNAb.png

RYod28x.png

At the point of my taking over the squad has some real problems - in places it's ok with some real quality. Andrew Gomez in attacking midfield is probably the stand out player, I know him well as a regular squad player in my USA team. Central defence looks ok with Chris Banks a solid central defender and my only designated player Abubakar Chukwuma a capped Nigerian international.

The clear problem that I'll need to resolve quickly is that we have nobody who can effectively play as a striker to score our goals. 18 year old Alex Evans has some potential for the future but he's clearly struggling to deal with the pressure of leading the line as his sole goal in the league and an average rating of 6.1 proves.

zmYRYiR.png

EdJyVRy.png

Alex Evans - Alex is an exciting talent and a player I expect who could develop into an international player with my support, but he desperately needs some quality experience to help relieve pressure on him up front.

Andrew Gomez - The best quality within the squad, at 25 years old I'll be desperate to hold onto Andrew and build a squad around him

Khaled Arfaoui - A young Tunisian goalkeeper who has been internationally capped, he has real potential for the future. He was bought in by my predecessor for £700k about 6 months ago and has performed well. I'm not convinced that he is the best use of one of my 8 international players and I might look to sell him on for a profit in a year or two and bring in a US player in goal?

Chris Banks - a solid, if unremarkable, central defender who will help to keep us tight at the back.

Seth Burns - another defender who has been in and around my US squad. At 31 years old he's not going to improve any further but he'll also be a strong experienced player who will help us build a squad for the next couple of years.

Walter - an exciting Brazilian flair player who I'll be looking to create goals for me from the right wing. He just needs a player in the box who can stick them away

RYod28x.png

My career in Washington started with a couple of games spread across 2 months as both the fixture list and the squad faced severe disruption from the World Cup. We headed into our first games with several first team players including Andrew Gomez and our star central defender on international duty. As a result 17 year old youngster Brett Whitfield was left deputising in central defence when he normally plays at right or left back.

Given the disruption to the squad and the low morale when I took over these results were perhaps to be expected but they show the scale of the challenge that I have on my hands - I'll need to strengthen this squad quickly to be able to compete.

zsLgnrs.png

The table now looks distinctly worse than it did when I took over, although mainly as a factor of other clubs playing more games than me - a 14 point gap to the play-off positions is a concern.

zAR9o8K.png

Despite all of our woes in the league we put a couple of decent results together in the Lamar Hunt Open Cup - first up we comprehensively beat non-MLS side (but last year's beaten finalists) Tampa Bay Rowdies before pulling off an impressive victory away to the New York Red Bulls to give our fans something to cheer about. Maybe we can use a cup run to reinvigorate our league form

9iFxtC6.png

Good luck navigating your way though the MLS.

Thanks, I think I might need it. If anyone knows of a decent guide to playing in the MLS please let me know. I think somebody wrote one for the forums a couple of years ago but I can't find it now.

I don't believe it - you moved on! :(

Good luck with D.C., although I will miss the Sheffield adventure!

All good things have to come to an end and it was just getting too easy!

As we headed into July it was abundantly clear that we needed to strengthen the squad, but an opportunity was presented to pick up players released by European squads at the end of their contracts and I made sure that I did exactly that, with my main focus on the lack of a main striker.

nEXUIg1.png

Stefan van der Heijden - Stefan is a world class striker with over 50 caps for Holland and experience of playing at leading clubs across Europe including Newcastle United and Borussia Dortmund where he lifted the Bundesliga title twice. He joins and takes up my second designated player slot and I hope will score plenty of goals for us

Rigoberto Montoya - At 19 years of age this young Honduran midfielder will slot straight into the middle of the park next to Andrew Gomez and should give us some real strength there as he develops over the next few years.

Haris Dautovic - Haris was released by Hearts in the Scottish Premier League after 5 years there. He's been capped by Bosnia & Herzegovna on 17 occasions and will really help to strengthen the squad.

Mike Saucedo - At £300k I think I overpaid for Mike from Sporting Kansas City, but first of all I still don't really understand the MLS transfer system and secondly I was just desperate to get bodies in. Only time will tell how Mike will perform for us, I'm not sure he's a long term solution for our problems.

Hope you get a lot of goals out pf van der Heijden while you can. He hasn't got much career left it seems.

Unsurprisingly at his age pace will be the main issue - he should continue to be able to perform well as a target man for a couple of years however - he's signed onto a contract for 18 months so we'll see how he performs over this time.

The new signings look good, might have a good run in the cup if all goes well..

A cup run will be nice, but an improved performance in the league is the priority - of course the vagaries of the MLS transfer system (that I'm still trying to understand) mean that the better I perform in the league, the worse my choices will be in the MLS draft - I think????

RYod28x.png

After a 2 month period with only 2 league games played we were immediately hit by a crazy July period in which we played 7 league and 2 cup games in a 31 day period. Clearly playing a game every 3 days for a month was going to hit us with serious challenges in terms of keeping players fit and as a result I've really happy with the outcome.

The first game of the month was incredibly frustrating as new signing Stefan van Heijden scored twice on debut, but we still ended up on the end of a 3-2 defeat against the team at the top of the MLS Eastern conference. The following week we earned the first league win under my management as we roared into a 3-0 lead within the first half an hour against New England Revolution to secure a 3-1 result after they scored late in the second half.

A defeat to rivals New York Red Bulls set us back next, but we ended the month with 2 wins and 2 draws to mark a distinct turn around in form.

5FcBERt.png

We're up off the base of the Eastern conference, but on goal difference only. The play-off's still look a long way off, albeit we still have games in hand. Stefan van Heijden has performed well, but after his initial 3 goals in 2 games he hasn't scored quite as many as I hoped he would - but maybe my expectations are too high?

XHIff9h.png

Two goals from towering centre back Chris Banks from two set pieces were enough to take us to extra time and then penalties against Los Angeles Galaxy, which we won after tucking away all 5 pens. In the semi-final Stefan van Heijden fired us into an immediate lead in the 3rd minute, but after Houston Dynamo pegged us back and it looked as though we were heading for second consecutive cup tie that would go to extra time, substitute attacking midfielder snuck in to fire in an 84th minute - we're heading to my first cup final in America!

TzDJZxj.png

I think I once read somewhere about the MLS that 2 designated players in a team was a sign of a successful club, 3 was madness - or something to that effect.

Well, how could I turn down England legend and twice World Cup winner Karl Alves after he was released by Barcelona.......

510mGeW.png

I may well get sacked for driving the club to financial ruin by the morning, I'm now running at £145k over my wage budget (although I'm still within the wage cap as far as the MLS are concerned.)

My one protection is that I've only signed Alves for 6 months, so whilst it will cost us financially, the liability is limited.

OB8tTzQ.png

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Final - Wednesday 14th August 2030

D.C. United vs. Seattle Sounders

RFK Memorial Stadium, Washington DC, USA

nazljUz.jpg

Route to the Final

Seattle Sounders

A comprehensive run to the final for the Sounders with only one goal conceded in the semi-final. They were helped with 3 home ties in the earlier round before having to travel to Philadelphia Union how they beat 3-1 in the semi-final. They will be the favourites going into the tie having more points in the Eastern conference than we do, but the gap is not significant and we'll have the advantage of playing the final at our home ground.

bcO6fi7.png

D.C. United

Two good early victories away from home for us really helped to build confidence, including a win over rivals New York Red Bulls. We then managed to mastermind a win on penalties over LA Galaxy in the quarter final before beating Houston Dynamo in a narrow game in the semi finals.

pHqTrrl.png

The Line Up's

Both teams have been heavily impacted by call up's to national squads - clearly the US football association need to sort out their priorities! We have lost 4 first team players both to international call ups and to injury. However we do have new signing Karl Alves in the game and with Karl on the left wing and Stefan van Heijden up front we now have a front line to leave defences quaking in their boots. I've been toying between a 4-4-2 formation and the 4-2-3-1 formation that I've used to great success with the US national squad in my time with DC United. Whilst I'm tempted to use Alves and van Heijden as two strikers in a 4-4-2 formation in the long term this wasn't an option for this game given the international call up's and as a result Alves plays on the left wing.

ByuwUsC.png

The Match

EfTM96Q.png - Full screenshot to follow

Wow! How easy was that, Seattle Sounders really didn't show up today and my new strike force looked in incredible form as we tore the Sounders backline apart. 3 goals from van Heijden and Alves in the first 21 minutes secured the tie before new central defensive signing Nick Anderson scored a fourth just after half time. I couldn't have dreamt of an easier way to secure my first domestic trophy in the US!

Well done on beating Seattle so comfortably in the final.

Thank you kindly sir!

Bam, told you, the cup is for taking! Signing that legend was a great move, the board won't care as long as you got the cup :>

They haven't sacked me for financial imprudence yet!!

RYod28x.png

A series of great performances from Alex Gomez secured 3 straight wins at the start of August to maintain our strong run of form and give us a realistic prospect of reaching the MLS play-offs. New star signing Karl Alves had picked up an injury which kept him out for most of the month, but that didn't stop us from dominating each game.

We then came up against Montreal Impact, one of the strongest teams in the conference and despite a really strong performance and a 55th minute goal from van Heijden we couldn't quite keep the Impact out and they managed to score a late equaliser to deny us 3 points. Returning to winning ways was key in our next home game against Chicago Fire was crucial, but our confidence had been knocked by the late Montreal Impact goal in the previous tie and we quickly fell 2-0 down. van Heijden's goal in the 82nd minute was too late for us to build on and despite pushing everybody forward we fell to a disappointing defeat.

Gilp8Wo.png

Despite our unbeaten run extending to 8 games before we were finally defeated this month we remain 6 points off the play-off's which is hugely disappointing and shows just how competitive this league is. With only 8 games left to play we may well struggle to qualify for the play-off's despite our massively improved form.

6y6qt6Y.png

• 1 month later...

RYod28x.png

We seem to have hit a real decline in September, post our victory in the Lamar Hunt cup. We seemed to briefly have stemmed our decline with a win at home against Colombus Crew thanks to late goals from Chris Banks and Stefan van der Heijden in the first game of the month but then only one goal in 4 games ensured that we only picked up one point out of 12. This definitely ends any hopes of making it to the play-off's and to be honest, given the amount we're spending on wages I'm not sure it's good enough to keep me in a job for next season unless we turn things around. I just hope that our cup victory will keep the fans from baying for my blood.

aRqhTtM.png

We're well of the pace now for a play off position and with my next game away to the conference leaders Montreal Impact there is a realistic chance that we could finish the season bottom of the conference :(

q14mi7m.png

Archived