[FM13] Travelling to Wembley in a Coach & Horses

chile_paul

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like who is bottom.

Haha, whilst things improve slightly for them - their manager (Scott Dann) expressing interest in the Valencia job was only going to go one way and he was out of the door a couple of weeks later.

As you'll see in my next updates they're still struggling...

IFEBqbi.png

Our winning run came to an end in a tough game against Man City, but at least a Jaisa Salcedo goal just after half time earnt us a point that kept us comfortably up at the top of the table. Our strikers quickly made amends to the impact that the single goals against Chelsea and Man City had made on our goals scored total as they hammered 13 goals in during our next 3 games to no reply, including 2 very decent results against both of the North London clubs.

BsLObSB.png

Liverpool are at the top of the table but we continue to have games in hand in addition to a dominant goal difference!

HlkP9Xi.png

A good win thanks to Ted Parmenter in the League Cup saw us avenge our defeat over last seasons winners as we set up a quarter final tie against the struggling Manchester United.

CjnRB9w.png

After 2 draws in the Champions League it was critical that we got a victory against the whipping boys of the group when we played Sturm Graz. We got the win that we wanted, although given the red hot form our strikers are in I'd hoped for a few more goals to help our goal difference which may turn out to be critical in a group as tight as this.

yFvZiVQ.png

Y8HM9GH.png

Some great news for the club - nobody in the Premier League has training facilities better than ours now

TQY0buX.png

I immediately asked the board to improve the training facilities even further, when they refused I told them that I wasn't sure I'd be able to continue in my role at the club if they turned the improvements down (completely by accident I should add). Luckily they complied with my ultimatum!

APJdATb.png

Our stadium expansion was also completed taking us up to circa 44,500 seats - I'd just like one more expansion before I leave......

iiPioXQ.png

IFEBqbi.png

We continued to show some stellar form in November all over the pitch as we scored goals for fun and developed a fantastic record at the back as well - that was until we went and got sloppy, throwing away a comfortable 1-0 half time lead against West Ham, conceeding 2 goals in the last 14 minutes to lose the game.

uQWiRir.png

Liverpool are continuing to do a very impressive job of keeping up pace with us and they continue to sit at the top of the table, albeit we still have games in hand. They surely can't continue to keep going like this though can they?

mFCV6eu.png

In a busy month we played the remaining 3 games in the Champions League - after completing the necessary in Austria against Sturm Graz we bought our form to the Champions League as we devastated Inter Milan and then with qualification already secured picked up a really impressive win in Dortmund to secure the top spot in a very tough group - oh, guess who we're playing in the First Knockout round, that's right, Barcelona again!

c9dRxn6.png

OJVdjJR.png

Solid start there :applause: Great to see you destroying everyone in the Champions league :lol:

Thanks, I was worried after those first two games, but a great improvement towards the end - let's just hope we can keep that form up against Barcelona

IFEBqbi.png

An incredibly busy month as we played 7 games in the League as well as the League Cup quarter final and the first round of the FA Cup. We started the month with a brilliant 5-0 demolition of Southampton before heading into a 3-0 lead against title rivals Liverpool and then having to resist a strong fight back as they pulled back to 3-2 but were unable to find an equaliser in the second half.

After that late drama we were disappointing against mid table West Brom and despite taking the lead in the 17 minute we failed to capitalise and instead allowed them to find an equaliser.

We quickly put that disappointment to bed though and re-found our goal scoring boots as we hammered Bolton 6-0 (the dismal draws or defeats we used to face when up against their tactic of parking a bus in front of their goal appear to be long gone :)) comfortably beat relegation threatened Aston Villa, put 4 past Wigan before getting our revenge against West Brom.

HclXULd.png

It's probably worth while pointing out at this point that I'm now officially targeting the top division record of scoring more than 128 goals this season which is held by Aston Villa from the 1930-31 season. Back then they had the advantage of playing 4 more games than we will this time around, but if we want our name in the record books we need to put that inconvenience behind us. We are currently just ahead of the run rate required to hit the target but a couple of 7-0's would help out massively. Unfortunately whenever I'm 3 or 4 up at half time I'm struggling to get the team to keep going into the second half and really push on to a big win.

sPyiYcZ.png

I would normally expect a tough fixture from Manchester United, but had hoped for an easier time given their league woes this season. However with a couple of minutes to go it looked as though they were going to knock me out of the League Cup in the quarter final. Luckily Floris Coolen put in a surging run and smashed an equaliser in the 89th minute before Antonios Kritikos prevented the agony of penalties by picking up the winner with 3 minutes left on the clock

fYDGubM.png

The FA Cup was also full of drama as we really struggled early on against Championship Derby County. They took the lead twice before our youngsters started to find their feet and eventually ran out to a comfortable 5-2 win.

XSpspwr.png

Things still not looking good for Manchester United - clearly shows how far this game is from reality - it takes Newcastle United half a season to score 5 goals, no chance they could score that many in a single game!

2L4aOYz.png

My ex player Owain Stewart is their best player by far, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference - that was a very good £40m in the bank for me!

• 2 weeks later...

IFEBqbi.png

We continued our red hot form into January with Antonis Kritikos finally starting to find his way into the goals after a somewhat sluggish 2028. A cracking win over Man City with an impressive 4 goals scored at the Etihad kept our goals scored rate up high, however I was disappointed to only be able to score 2 against a struggling Wolverhampton Wanderers side, especially given that February is going to involve a very tough run of games in which it's going to be difficult to keep our pace up in the attempt to score more than 128 goals in a season.

TXo6kJw.png

Unfortunately I've managed to lose a couple of screenshots showing the league table for the next couple of updates, although as I'm sure you can imagine given recent results I'm still flying high :)

At half time in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final against Arsenal I thought this was going to be a walk in the park as we were flying high and 2-0 up at the Emirates. Arsenal produced a great fight back however to pull the tie back into the balance at 2-2 by the final whistle. They weren't able to match us back in our own back yard however and 2 great goals from Coolen and Sahin secured a final match up against Chelsea at Wembley in a few weeks time.

1qkh4zB.png

I don't normally do a January transfer update because I prefer to do most of my business in the close season, this season however was busier than normal so I thought I'd keep you up to speed.

lxNvxt0.png

Jaisa Salcedo's contract was due to expire at the end of the year and he wasn't happy to renew and accept my view that he was only fourth choice up front and could only play a squad role in left midfield. When Liverpool offered £15m for him up front with the alternative being a free transfer in the summer I bit their hand off, although in reality this is a good deal for Liverpool if they can find a place for him in their squad. Moshen Tej was only ever a youngster for me trying to get into the squad and whilst he had some great athletic qualities he didn't have the technical skill or the defensive strength's to play in either of my midfield places - he has plenty of potential for other squads though, still when Real Madrid offered £20m I almost fell off my chair and couldn't hit the accept button quickly enough - a great return on the £1.3m I paid for him a couple of years ago!

Incoming are 3 really promising youngsters - more than I'd normally be willing to pay for players so young, but the club is drowning in transfer revenue's at the minute so it won't hurt the bank balance and I fully expect all of them to recoup those transfer fee's in the years to come.

Darko Bilokapic

Maurice Bassouma

Cristiano Magni

IFEBqbi.png

February was always going to be a very tough month against 3 clubs who are consistently up at the top of the table and whilst I had a comfortable margin between myself and the title challengers, I was concerned that my goal scoring rate was going to suffer. So far this season I had been able to score plenty of goals against the top clubs, but this was going to be a challenge in these 3 games and indeed that's exactly what happened with only 3 goals scored in comparison to the 10 that I needed to maintain my challenge for the 128 goal Premier League record.

Whilst the goal scoring was disappointing I can't be too upset with the results, 3 consecutive away games against some of the toughest sides in the league and to come away unbeaten with 5 points - that's a great outcome anyway that you look at it.

TSOhvi4.png

A comfortable victory against Championship side Swansea in the FA Cup 5th round set up a far tougher contest against Chelsea in the 6th round in March. A great opportunity to get some of my youngsters some game time and great to see goals from ex Swansea player Marc Parry as well as a first senior goal from last summer's signing Aleksander Sakic.

mXgBMGe.png

The Champions League re-started in February and I was re-united in the first knock-out round with my old foe Barcelona. I was keen to get revenge for my defeat in the same round of the competition last season and I can't complain about the end result in a game which could and perhaps should have knocked me out. Barcelona really were all over us and deserved to win comfortably. They scored 2 goals in 2 minutes in the 17th and 19th minute and already I though the game could be over, a moment of respite when Ibrahim Sahin scored a critical away goal was wiped out within seconds as Karl Alves scored his 3rd of the match within seconds of the restart. When last man Nikola Mejasic hacked Alves in the area in the 55th minute I though the game was all over but World Player of the Year Michael Esseboom couldn't put the ball in the back of the net from the penalty spot and out of nowhere Ibrahim Sahin's second goal in the 72nd minute somehow, and undeservedly, kept us well and truly in the tie.

I4MeRaJ.png

mzNIUxD.png

League Cup Final - Sunday 18th February 2029

Sheffield FC vs. Chelsea

Wembley, London, England

bykGJst.jpg

Route to the Final

Chelsea

An impressive and challenging run to the final for Chelsea, albeit helped out by favourable home tie's against all Premier League opposition. They certainly didn't have an easy ride with every game decided by a single goal and some really tough encounters against Man City and Liverpool in the quarter and semi-finals

JVk2X6V.png

Sheffield FC

In complete contrast to Chelsea we didn't have an opportunity to play in front of our own fan's until the second leg of the semi-final. We had however had the easier run of opponents, especially when you consider Manchester United's poor form when we played them in the quarter finals.

sxEfICl.png

The Line Up's

Chelsea remained consistent in their favoured 5-3-3 formation that they've utilised in the vast majority of games this season, but they pulled a big surprise in their team selection. Despite this their first opportunity to win a trophy in 3 years they fielded a team with a number of youngsters, most notably playing 19 year old Papa Cisse up front by himself with 18 year old English right back William Ababio trying to control one of my top players Kostadinovic. I wasn't doing anything of the sort in my line up and fielded my strongest available squad, determined to pick up this trophy for the first time in 5 years.

qIoMDCt.png

The Match

AqJoFew.png

Given Chelsea's team selection I had hoped that this might be men against boy's and we'd run away comfortable winners of the trophy, especially given the dominant goal scoring form that we'd been on over recent months. However Chelsea put up a strong performance in the opening 20 minutes and really matched us pass for pass and shot for shot. However in the 26th minute Chelsea's team selection showed itself up for what it was and Ababio completely lost Kostadinovic who crossed in for Ibrahim Sahin to put us in front - and it was exactly the same scenario 15 minutes later when a cross from the left wing this time found Kritikos to put us in control at the half time interval. Kritikos's second goal in the 77th minute should have put the game to bed for us, but 2 quick fire replies from Chelsea in the 78th and 85th minute ensure a climactic finale - but Kritikos really showed his class and remained calm to score his hat-trick in the 88th minute ensuring that we were the one's to lift the trophy.

There have been a series of strange results this season - normally this would have been a tussle between two teams towards the top of the table, but with Manchester United struggling in the bottom half of the table 2nd placed Liverpool were strong favourites in this tie.

However this wasn't the result that Niko Kranjcar was hoping for as he tried to keep up with our pace...... hopefully this will really knock their confidence and hand us the title on a plate

nSDUC23.png

IFEBqbi.png

After a tough month in February in which we only picked up 3 goals towards our 128 goal target, we really needed to kick on and hit our straps in March against the (relatively) easy opponents of Huddersfield, Reading and Stoke. Huddersfield were most definitely the toughest of the 3 opponents having maintained a regular challenge on the top 6 in recent seasons, and we achieved an on par 3-1 victory. Both Reading and Stoke were towards the bottom of the table and deserved a spanking to help our goal scoring rate, alas Reading held firm after we went 2-0 up and our frustrations boiled over as we failed to score more and they fought back magnificently to win the tie 3-2. We recovered our form to beat Stoke 2-0, but the goals are not enough to hit our target and 128 is looking like a distant target.

JPvdK6Q.png

The title is ours in all but name - it's just a matter of when rather than if now - but my goal target for this season is rapidly fading, we'll easily cross the 100 goal barrier but we need 5 goals a game from now on to beat Aston Villa's record....

66f201j.png

We may have beaten Chelsea in the League Cup, but they were a much harder foe in the FA Cup and they were just too strong for us. Wilson Carvalho had a dire game in goal for Chelsea in the League Cup but this time around he withstood everything we threw at him until Ibrahim Sahin scored what was only a consolation goal in the 75th minute. The chase for the quadruple is over.....

Dr5173y.png

• 2 weeks later...

How's that for a clean sweep of the weekly awards - and before anybody asks it was a full week of normal Premier League fixtures with all teams playing 2 games - first time I've ever managed a clean sweep like this....

nWJSBXG.png

Did you trounce everyone 10-0 and your goalie saved 3 penalties a game or smth?

How's that for a clean sweep of the weekly awards - and before anybody asks it was a full week of normal Premier League fixtures with all teams playing 2 games - first time I've ever managed a clean sweep like this....

nWJSBXG.png

:eek: at the team of the week
Wow! That's some team.

I seriously couldn't believe it, but they were two remarkable wins - update coming shortly

I bet he didn't even pick half of the players.

They were all picked in the starting eleven, but I was surprised by Cristiano Magni. He only played one of the two games and it was his senior debut - but boy it was a debut to remember

IFEBqbi.png

Uh - wow! Those first two results were completely unexpected. Our goalscoring had really dropped off in recent games but we were on a different planet to West Ham as Antonio Kritikos lead us to a remarkable 8-0 win. We were 5-0 up by half time and with a further 3 goals in the first 10 minutes of second half. In a way with another 35 minutes remaining I'm almost disappointed we didn't score more..... a quite remarkable game of football.

Those 8 goals were still not enough to get us back on a path for a record breaking goal tally however and surely there was no way to repeat it. Especially given that a number of my players were struggling with fatigue and due a rest, especially with a Champions League semi-final on the way against Real Madrid. So, on came Cristiano Magni for his first senior debut....... he had no part to play in our first goal in the 1st minute as Ernesto Gomez made a surging run from left back and scored virtually unchallenged. Magni did however get our 2nd in the 5th minute. Norwich fought back well and scored to peg us back and at half time the tie was still poised for a tight finish - but when youngster Marc Parry scored a third in the 56th minute the holes started to appear in the Norwich defence and a series of late goals put us well out of touch with a score that didn't really reflect the challenge that Norwich had posed.

A goal fest against Southampton ensured that we were well back on track to hit the record goal target (now needing an average of just over 3 goals a game) before we beat Newcastle with just enough goals to keep us on track.

U18pjJX.png

The title is ours (we confirmed the Premier League title with our 5-3 win over Southampton). We need 10 goals from the final 3 games against Bolton, Liverpool and Manchester United to wrest the goal scoring title from Aston Villa.

F787Sj4.png

In the Champions League the Antonio Kritikos show at the Coach & Horses Ground was spoilt by an away goal from Adrian, but I was confident that the 2 goal advantage should be sufficient as we travelled to Spain. That confidence quickly evaporated in the second leg as Real Madrid quickly moved into a 2 goal lead to give them the lead on away goals but local boy Ted Parmenter did the business hauling us back to a 2-2 draw to set up a final against Arsenal who had to rely on penalties to overcome PSG after a 0-0 draw after both legs.

yspbtsg.png

Trystan hasn't played for us for a very long time now, but he's remained a loyal member of the squad. He has understandably decided that now is time to call time on his career. The club have offered him a coaching contract for the time being.

vilMPmr.png

0TghLm9.png

Champions League Final - 19th May 2029

Sheffield FC vs. Arsenal

Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey

I0wjY0f.png

Route to the Final

Arsenal

Arsenal made a real hash of the group stages with only 2 victories and defeats to Dinamo Zagreb and Ajax. They improved to beat Bayern Munich in the 1st knock out round and a good first leg win secured their progression past Real Sociedad in the quarter finals, however they will be worried about not scoring in the last 3 games. IN reality they've had avery easy route to the final and really are the underdogs going into the final

Tab2Put.png

Sheffield FC

We had a slightly awkward start to the group stages with draws against both Inter Milan and Borussia Dortmund but we then kicked on to top the group in impressive form before knocking Barcelona out in a tight tie in the 1st Knockout Round. With Chelsea our opponents in the quarter final and Real Madrid in the semi's we've definitely had the harder route to make it to Turkey

mcNMxaH.png

The Line Up's

As in our last Champions League final 2 years ago we've probably come out better on the injury status. We've been able to pick virtually our first team with the only exception being Charles Diallo who is probably missing from the bench. Ernesto Gomez is only just back from injury at left back and he may be a risk, but a risk worth taking. Arsenal are missing 3 first team players including world class midfielder Georg Jungwirth, they will play in their favoured 4-3-3 formation and the midfield battle will be key to who will emerge as eventual winners.

QYK6Ask.png

The Match

In an incredibly tight game we just about emerged victorious after extra time, thanks in part to the greater quality of our finishing versus the Arsenal forwards who only managed 5 shots on target from 16 attempts. Arsenal took an early lead in the 21st minute, but just after half time Ibrahim Sahin scored an absolute screamer to put us back in the fight. I made all 3 of my substitutions in normal time to try to sway the game and was kicking myself for this in the 99th minute when Ernesto Gomez picked up a repeat of his previous injury and limped off the pitch. Luckily we re-organised and held our own until the 111th minute when Bryan Prado saw red. We pressed heavily and moved into an Attacking mode and our adventurous approach turned off seconds before penalties as Floris Coolen drove into the penalty area and snuck the ball under the despairing grasp of Elias Zeidler

1zM5ykT.png

What a truly fantastic season mate :applause:

Cheers

A cracking season, to win CL trophy like that must have been a great feeling :)

To be honest I thought we'd blown it and it was great to see Coolen tuck that goal away at the death :)

IFEBqbi.png

So, after a stunning season in which we'd lifted the Premier League title with games to spare, had won the League Cup and the Champions League, I just had one more target to achieve - I wanted the all time Premier League record of 128 goals...... A month or so ago I had thought this was well out of my reach but in an incredible week during which we beat West Ham 8-0 and Norwich City 7-1 I was still just in with a chance.

In order to complete this challenge I needed 10 goals in my final 3 games - 9 goals would draw me level with Aston Villa's record with less games played, but Football Manager doesn't care about that and the only way to get the Sheffield name next to that record would be to get that one extra goal..... As a secondary goal I knew that 3 wins out of 3 would give me 100 points in the league - could it be done?

I might have been confident of picking the necessary goals up, it was after all a similar run rate of goals per game as I'd managed all season, but then I re-checked my fixture list and saw that all 3 games were away from home and I face Manchester United, Bolton Wanderers and then 2nd placed Liverpool in the final game of the season. I was therefore desperately hoping I could get a hatful against Bolton so that I'd already reached the target by the time we faced Liverpool.

My minimum target against Manchester United was 3 goals - and that's what we got thanks to Ibrahim Sahin's wonderful hattrick, but after his early 15th minute goal and 2 more just before and after half time, I'm disappointed that we couldn't put more past a dispirited Manchester United team with nothing to play for other than pride. Instead we allowed them to get one back which restored some of their confidence and we couldn't add to our goal tally.

Against Bolton I honestly hoped for 6, but in the end I had to settle for a 4-1 win, but we came very close to blowing our challenge out of the water when we were only 1-1 in the 74th minute. Luckily Bolton conceded a penalty in the 74th minute which Antonios Kritikos put away and that opened the floodgates with 2 more nestling into the Bolton net before the end of the game.

6YdH3a8.png

Therefore we needed to score 3 against Liverpool - not an easy job at all, and this challenge was going right down to the wire....

gxJmJm5.png

I can't quite believe we managed this - in a game in which Liverpool dominated, we only managed 3 shots on target all game, all from Ibrahim Sahin and all of them went in!!! We'd broken the record, and frankly I couldn't care less that Phil Kakabouras also got a hattrick when Liverpool pulled us back to 3-3, even though it did prevent us from reaching 100 points.

aMTQNu3.png

uwp8bF8.png

I have spent about a week ctaching up with this page by page and it was worth the read. Great to get up to speed at the point of this quadruple season. A shame the 100 points mark remianed just out of reach but that always gives you something to aim for in the future. :)

Wowzers, insane domination in the league. I am actually most impressed by the goal difference. Looking beastly!

Thanks, I wouldn't have wanted to be a defender up against my lot!

I have spent about a week ctaching up with this page by page and it was worth the read. Great to get up to speed at the point of this quadruple season. A shame the 100 points mark remianed just out of reach but that always gives you something to aim for in the future. :)

Great to have you on board, I was disappointed about just missing out on 100 points, but to be honest I'd never been targeting it and it was more of a surprise than anything when I realised I was that close with a couple of games to go.

I see that you are scoring goals for fun there :)

I'm not sure I'd describe it as fun, it was incredibly stressful in the last few games!

IFEBqbi.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Review - 2028/29 - Sheffield FC

Barclays Premier League

Final League Position: 1st

We won our third Premier League title at a canter and only just missed out on 100 points in the final game of the season when Liverpool came from 3-1 behind to snatch a draw. The season was an absolute goal fest with a goal difference of +100 and an all time Premier League record of 129 goals scored - the 8-0 victory against West Ham being an obvious highlight. Elsewhere in the table Manchester United somehow managed to recover to snatch 7th place and another season of European football having feared that they might get sucked into a relegation battle earlier in the season.

League Cup

Competition Performance: Winners

It was great to get back to winning ways in this competition having not lifted the trophy since 2025 and we had to do it the hard way, knocking out Manchester United and Arsenal before overcoming Chelsea in the final

FA Cup

Competition Performance: Quarter-final

We had an easy run through until we came up against the eventual Champions Chelsea in the quarter final, where our slipshod finishing meant that it took us until the 75th minute to peg back Chelsea's 2 goal advantage and we were then unable to find a second to take the game to a replay.

Champions League

Competition Performance: Winners

A great run in this competition against some world class opposition. We probably should have done better in the final, but when Floris Coolen scored the winner in the final minute of extra time I couldn't have cared less!

Squad

An amazing season for the squad as 7 players finished with average ratings above 7.5, 3 picked up more than 30 goals and 6 finished with more than 10 goals. There isn't much more that I can say in fact and given the heights that we've achieved this summer it is about time that we started to look to rebuild - with that in mind there will be several major moves afoot as I make room for some exciting youngsters to grasp a first team place next season.

Transfers - Finances - Board Review

A very healthy net transfer income as I once again sell some of my older players and re-invest in some youngsters. Expect to see more of this next season.

My Top 3 Players

Ibrahim Sahin - Another amazing season for the German striker, whilst he might not have played in as many league games as in previous seasons because of injury he still managed 40 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions.

Ted Parmenter (YP10a) - Ted has been fighting in the squad for a regular place in the last few season's but really came into his own after I let Jaisa Salcedo leave the club. With a more regular starting position Ted has fired in the goals from left, right and centre and finished with a remarkable 29 goals in 28 Premier League appearances

Fabio Scala - The danger all season when playing such an attacking style of play was that the opposition would exploit our defence and score more than we did. However with Fabio leading our defensive four we remained solid throughout and just didn't give the opposition any opportunity.

Fans Player of the Season - Ted Parmenter (YP10a)

Best Eleven - 2028 / 2029

Best Eleven - All Time

What's Next?

I'd half expected to be leaving the club at the end of this season, but with one more year left on my contract I've decided to stay around and re-shape the club with a new bunch of youngsters pushing through. Expect to see a lot of transfer movement this season with some established names leaving.

Archived