Offside rule.... Have I been cheated?!

Juventus v Chelsea, Champions League Semi Final First Leg.

My Chelsea side and Juve are locked at one all with minutes to go. A Juve player is on the floor in my penalty area, just outside the six yard area (probably pretending to be injured!), we clear the ball but Juve win it back and the ball is played through to an attacking player who runs from an onside position who in turn takes it around Cech and scores. Now I have a feeling some of you are going to tell me the injury stricken cheat on the floor was not interfering with play. Really?! Baring in mind he's right in the middle of the goal about 7 or 8 yards out.

My question is, how does the offside rule work in this situation? We lost 2-1 and while I'm confident my boys will get through thanks to a stunning solo away goal from Victor Moses, I can't help but feel I've been hard done by! :mad:

While people are quick to use the phrase "interfering with play", thinking it covers pretty much everything, the truth is that in order to be considered interfering with play, a player has to be doing one of three very specific things - touching the ball passed or touched by a teammate, obstructing an opponent and preventing from playing the ball or obstructing his view, or taking advantage of his offside offence by playing the ball after the ball rebounds to him. A dead guy lying on the ground doesn't really prevent Cech from seeing the ball so no offence.

While people are quick to use the phrase "interfering with play", thinking it covers pretty much everything, the truth is that in order to be considered interfering with play, a player has to be doing one of three very specific things - touching the ball passed or touched by a teammate, obstructing an opponent and preventing from playing the ball or obstructing his view, or taking advantage of his offside offence by playing the ball after the ball rebounds to him. A dead guy lying on the ground doesn't really prevent Cech from seeing the ball so no offence.

This, though I won't really elaborate on the rules. But, OP/TC just goes to show when you see managers effing and blinding about the offside rule/a decision in reality, this lack of knowledge is the reason why. =p

I'm not sure. If he is lying on the 6 yard line, then whichever way I would have thought that he would be interfering/obstructing Cech in some way. Yes, he is not taking an 'active' part in the build up or the goal, so from that point of view he is not offside. But if a player is running at Cech, and Cech has to go around/over the injured player then he is interfering.

IRL the referee would probably have stopped the game with the player lying on the floor in the 6 yard box to avoid such a circumstance. So, I do feel the OP can feel hard done by in a way.

Archived