[FM13] Kalamity in Greece

GylfiAsCharged

Kalamata FC

1300567.png

Kalamata F.C. (Greek: Π.Σ. Καλαμάτα) is a professional football club based in Kalamata, Greece, currently competing in Football League 2. It was formed in 1967 in a merger among Apollon Kalamata and other local sides. The team has competed in the Greek first division seven times, in 1972-73, 1974–75, from 1995-96 to 1997-98, and from 1999-00 to 2000-01. Kalamata F.C. achieved its first two promotions to the first division, in 1972 and 1974, under President Lykourgos Gaitanaros. Its first two promotions in the early 1970s are considered the team's first golden era. The team could not stick in the top flight though, and would not have a resurgence until the 1990s.

The club's second golden and greatest era began when international businessman Stavros Papadopoulos bought the team in 1992, while the club was stuck in Gamma Ethniki, the third division. Upon his arrival, Papadopoulos began pouring a substantial amount of money into the club, and by 1995 the team had achieved promotion to the first division. The team dropped back to the second division for one season in 1997, but again achieved promotion to the first division the very next year, and remained in the top flight until Papadopoulos sold the team in 2000. After Papadopoulos' departure Kalamata fell to the second division and has since stayed in the lower divisions ever since.

The Papadopoulos era of Kalamata F.C. was notable for the signing of many international players from the African nation of Ghana, such as Samuel Johnson, Afo Dodoo, Ebenezer Hagan, Peter Ofori-Quaye and Derek Boateng. These players helped Kalamata to achieve great results domestically, and some would go on to very big teams: Johnson transferred from Kalamata to Anderlecht and later played for Fenerbahçe, Hagan transferred to Iraklis and then to PAOK, Ofori-Quaye was sold for a club record USD $3.5 million to Olympiacos, and Derek Boateng left for Panathinaikos. Kalamata F.C. is credited with starting the trend among Greek clubs of signing African talent since the late 1990s. The Papadopoulos era is also notable for uncovering a wealth of young Greek talent, most significantly Greek international player Nikos Liberopoulos, who made his name at Kalamata before moving to Panathinaikos, and from there to AEK and Eintracht Frankfurt.

While the fixation on African talent paid dividends for Kalamata FC, it also caused them to miss some bigger opportunities... it was always rumored, and then later confirmed by media in Brazil, that the famous Brazilian super star Ronaldo was offered to Kalamata FC at the age of 15 for US$50,000, but was rejected by Papadopoulos and the team's technical staff as an inadequate asset. Brazilian 2002 World Cup star Juninho was also offered to Kalamata FC back in 1996 for US$500,000, but once again the club deemed the sum too high a price to pay.

The club would learn its lessons, however, and after being demoted to the second division in 1997, they eventually started to bring in young Brazilian talent, as well as some veterans of the biggest teams in Brazil. The Brazilians helped the team gain promotion to the first division right away in 1998. According to Brazilian media and insiders, Papadopoulos's son Daniil, a former high level amateur athlete in America, was supposedly instrumental in spotting some of the Brazilian talent and sending them to Kalamata FC. Interestingly enough, one of those players, Hilton Assis(Kalamata FC 1999-2000), turned out to be the first cousin of Brazil and Barcelona FC super star Ronaldinho. Hilton was once a promising player in Brazil who starred for Internacional of Porto Alegre, but serious knee operations curtailed his career. When he was healthy he was Kalamata's top goal scorer, but he returned to the Brazilian first division after Papadopoulos sold the team.

Kalamata's long standing rival are Paniliakos (team situated in Pirgos city in western Pelopponesus) and Aigaleo city, a well known industrial and impoverished suburb of Athens. Kalamata FC is also noted for having some of the most passionate and dedicated fans in all of Greece.

Hello and welcome to my career thread for Football Manager 2013. I didn't document my career in last year's game; however I decided that this year I would. Basically, I don't have as much free time as I used to, I'm now taking A2 Levels and preparing to study Journalism at university, which requires a lot of work experience. This takes up a lot of my time; however I still manage to find a good chunk of most days to dedicate to my beloved game of FM. I've yet to attempt Gundo's Challenge, and was interested in taking it up, however my strained schedule means that FM Classic is the best route for me. As my save doesn't totally comply with his regulations, I've decided to document it in an individual thread. As you have hopefully just read, Kalamata have suffered somewhat of a fall from grace in recent years, however after holidaying through the first season I was pleased to find that they had won promotion into the second tier, which is the lowest playable league in Greece. To me, they look like a bit of a sleeping giant. It was here that I took over the reins, and I will now attempt to guide them back to the glory days of the Ghanaians - they seem to have had a pretty calamitous past in terms of rejecting future stars, so hopefully my judgement proves to be better than theirs!

Goals

To win the Football League OPAP

To win the Kupello Hellas OPAP

To win the Superleague OPAP

To have a player top-score in the Superleague OPAP

To have a player win Player of the Season in the Superleague OPAP

To qualify for European football

To reach the group stages of a European competition

To progress to the knockout stages of a European competition

To win the UEFA Europa League

To win the UEFA Champions League

To win the FIFA World Club Cup

To have an academy product become a full Greece international

To have an academy product score a goal for Greece in an international fixture

Upon arrival, the squad featured a few good players, namely Timothee Atouba (formerly of Spurs and Hamburg). I proceeded to bring in a few young Greeks, and more notably, a couple of experienced internationals. Christian Mayrleb is about as experienced as they come – at 41 years of age, his technical ability is still evident, while Cristiano Zanetti will hopefully steady up the middle of the park.

In terms of tactics, I will be looking to use both AMCs and WBs, two positions which I feel are extremely beneficial to use in this year’s game. This will probably mean using 3 centre-backs, however I will aim to play positive football with such a formation. We are predicted to finish 16th out of 20, so a bit of negative football from time to time could be excused, right?

Anyways, I will be updating every month. During FM11 I tried updating at various intervals, and this was the one I preferred. Enjoy the ride! Depending on how quickly we progress, Kalamata may not be the only team I manage during this challenge.

1300567.png

August 2013

813results.png

Current Position: n/a

Four preseason friendlies against pretty lowly opposition. We look dangerous going forward, the two goals we conceded were both long range efforts which the keeper had little chance of saving. Zanetti picked up an injury after scoring a screamer against Miltiadis, and missed the other three matches, however he should be back for the start of the season. Hopefully these victories give us some momentum which we can carry on into the league campaign.

1300567.png

September 2013

913results.png

Current Position: 15th

Not too bad a month, it was important that we got that first win under our belts sooner rather than later, and it came in our second match. The two away games were tough, and we were just edged out by a wonder strike on the first occasion, and a lapse in concentration from our goalkeeper Giannis Takidis, who has otherwise looked fairly reliable. Mayrleb looks pretty prolific too, the main lowlight of the month was Zanetti sustaining another injury on his return from his previous one - and he's out for three months! Three out of our four league games next month are at home, so hopefully we can get some more wins there.

1300567.png

October 2013

1013results.png

Current Position: 11th

Again, mixed results. We are yet to find any real consistency in the league, our two defeats were against stronger sides, and our two wins against weaker ones. Luckily we are actually winning the games we have to win against our relegation rivals, giving us a decent platform to build upon. Our cup defeat was surprising but not too disheartening, we played quite well in every game this month, and particularly in the Ergotelis match we deserved at least a draw. Vangelis Kaounos is now limiting Mayrleb to substitute appearances, with three goals this month. A lot of work still to do, but things are looking okay - plus we've finally kept a clean sheet in a league match!

1300567.png

November 2013

1113results.png

Current Position: 2nd

That's more like it! Now unbeaten in 6, and defending extremely well, things are really looking up. We've climbed the table to 2nd, and sit three points off top. Niki Volou are the team above us, so the draw wasn't too bad a result. The only slightly worrying thing about these results is that none of our strikers have scored at all this month, neither Kaounos nor Mayrleb have managed to net, and we've relied on goals from our midfielders and wing-backs. The 5-2-2-1 tactic is working a treat, however! There are two automatic promotion spots, and although we aren't expected to even finish in the top half, I'd like to consolidate one of them as soon as possible. Our attendances are rising however we aren't making ends meet at the moment, another promotion would be the financial boost we desperately need.

1300567.png

December 2013

1213results.png

We remain unbeaten in 10, and hang on to second spot in the league. The gap between us and Niki Volou has been reduced to a mere point, however there are a number of teams hot on my heels and we will need to keep achieving good results against the teams around us to consolidate a top two finish. I've held contract talks with most players, and all but one have agreed to stay - Timothee Atouba decided that my first offer of £100p/w less than what he wanted was so sickening that he'd end discussions there and then. Still, he's replaceable and I already have a fairly strong second choice WBL in the Argentinian Ivan Moran. We now have a brief winter break followed by five January fixtures, and our first televised game of the season. I'm targeting 12 points out of a possible 15.

1300567.png

January 2014

114results.png

Current Position: 1st

Easily our best month yet. Our first four games of the month were against tricky opposition, most of whom aren't too far behind me in the league. To take 13 points from those five games, and furthermore, score 13 goals, is a lot better than I expected. We now sit five points clear at the top of the table, however we face some strong sides next month, Ergotelis, Vyzas and Kallithea are all challenging for automatic promotion - the race really is pretty widely contested. We play six league matches in the next month, so the fixture congestion could result in some fatigue - hopefully that doesn't spell the end of our 15 game unbeaten run!

1300567.png

February 2014

214results.png

Not quite as consistent as the last few months, however there were some important wins here. Our unbeaten run finally came to an end after 18 games - Kallithea though are in my opinion the strongest side in our league, so this was understandable. The teams around us all dropped a fair few points too, so we're still sat five points clear. Our biggest issue is a lack of squad depth - we've ended up with only four out of seven players on the bench on occasions this month, with first team players becoming injured pretty frequently. I do have the excess wage budget to bring in backups, however the club's finances aren't all that great and I'd rather not spend more than I really need to. Another six games next month, including crunch ties against promotion battlers Niki Volou and OFI, who currently occupy the two places below us.

1300567.png

March 2014

314results.png

The loss against OFI wasn't too disappointing, as we were victorious in our other five games in March - the Niki Volou match was particularly enjoyable, a real smash and grab victory which dealt a great blow to their promotion credentials - they have since dropped to 8th! We perhaps didn't score as many as I'd have liked, however it was nice to see Kaounos finally rediscover his shooting boots. Five games remain and we hold a comfortable eight point lead over OFI, there is cause for optimism!

1300567.png

April/May 2014

4and514results.png

Final Position: 1st

1314table.png

We've done it! Our first season in the Football League saw us lift the trophy, and we were the best team throughout most of the season. Ironically, Christian Mayrleb scored the last minute winner which handed us the title, having disappointed all season, scoring a mere five goals. OFI and Panaitolikos were also promoted.

There doesn't appear to be any yearly managerial award, however I'm sure I'd have won it! Giannis Alexiou was our player of the season, the centre-back joined on a free transfer at the beginning of the season and was sturdy throughout our campaign. Honourable mentions go to Giannis Tsopelas and Giannis Chrysafis (there's something about the name Giannis...), the former provided a great attacking outlet down the right hand side while performing his defensive duties admirably, while the latter was our main creative spark in the middle of the field. Tsopelas managed 6 goals and 13 assists, while Chrysafis was credited with 8 and 14 - these stats show how pivotal the pair were to our success. Next season will be a tough one, and we'll need to strengthen our squad if we are to avoid relegation. Thankfully the foreign player regulations are eased in the top flight, this should make it easier to field the best players I can possibly bring to the club.

1300567.png

August 2014

814results.png

Current Position: 14th

Our preseason was very short and last minute - I thought the assistant would arrange some fixtures, but he didn't! Still, two clean sheets weren't too bad. Our first game was against one of the nation's top sides, Panathinaikos - the result was a stunning draw away from home. There are 18 teams in the Superleague OPAP, so we sit outside the relegation zone. Two new players brought in on free transfers were Mickael Benoit, and Patrick Kamphuis. Both have a lot of potential, particularly Benoit, who is tipped to be a leading Superleague keeper in the future by my assistant.

1300567.png

September 2014

914results.png

Current Position: 10th

Despite only having a single win under our belt, our league position is actually fairly respectable. We are above our fellow newly-promoted sides, as well as larger clubs such as AEK and Aris. Pasas and Kaounos have put in some great performances so far, and the latter is keeping new recruit Patrick Kamphuis out of the side. Our new French keeper, Mickael Benoit has looked very sturdy thus far, having kept two clean sheets already. I believe we have enough quality to survive in this league, hopefully we do ourselves justice and continue to build over the coming seasons.

1300567.png

October 2014

1014results.png

Current Position: 8th

Well, I didn't expect to go a whole month unbeaten at all this season! The draw against Olympiakos was similar to our opening game of the season against Panathinaikos, a real backs against the wall type performance - call it anti-football if you like, but it certainly worked! The next three games were fairly comfortable wins - I didn't plan on using my first team for cup matches this season, but Panachaiki are our local rivals and I couldn't risk disappointing the fans. The second cup match saw a weakened team fielded, yet we still scraped through. I'm having a real selection crisis between Kamphuis and Kaounos however, the fans seem to love them both, and are unhappy with me about the matter regardless of which one I choose to leave on the bench. I could change to a formation with two strikers, but why would I want to change formation when our current one is working so well? I'm rotating them each game to see if that solves the problem. Anyways, that month will be hard to beat, hopefully we can sustain our form. Maybe I'll even give the cup a real go, who knows?

1300567.png

November 2014

1114results.png

No joke, we're actually in second! PAOK who are a couple of points behind us do have a game in hand, and Olympiakos have a 6 point lead, but that's not important. What matters is that we have a chance of qualifying for the playoff which determines who plays in Europe - 2nd to 5th place take part in this. Kaounos sadly suffered a fairly serious injury halfway through this difficult month, but Kostas Kardaris was shifted from AMC to ST, and scored 4 goals in 4 league games! Do you guys ever have that one team in the same league as you, who aren't your official rivals, however you just personally despise them for little reason? Panaitolikos did the double over us last season in the second tier, and that made victory over them oh so sweet - they sit 6th in the league, so they're also adapting well to top flight life. A little turbulent defensively, but it's a results business, and we're getting great results. Can't say I'm used to this, I usually have a plethora of failings before I achieve any success with a club - I quite like it this way! December is only a short one due to the winter break - stay tuned!

1300567.png

December 2014

1214results.png

Current Position: 3rd

Another very good, albeit short month. The draw against AEK was more than I expected as they are one of the better teams in the division. PAOK now hold a four point lead over me in second, having played a game more. The aim is now to hang onto our position in the top 5, and try to qualify for Europe - the financial benefits are just what we need. We polished off Glyfada in the second leg of our cup tie, I don't think there's a European place at stake for the winner however I'd like to try and win that - we face PAOK in the next round though, so it'll be difficult for us. 7 games approach in January, and we face PAOK three times in the space of four weeks!

1300567.png

January 2015

115results.png

Current Position: 5th

A month of mixed fortunes. We started with two defeats, however they were understandable as they both came at the hands of teams participating in European competition. The following match saw us avenge our defeat to PAOK by tearing them to pieces in the first leg of the cup, meaning only a draw was necessary at home to secure our progression. Not the best month in terms of league results, and we dropped to 5th as a result, but our fixtures were both congested and testing during the course of January. Moran is banging them in from the left wing-back position, compensating for a lack of goals from Kaounos this month. We were rewarded with a tie against Doxo Dramas in the next round, who only just survived relegation from the second tier last season, so I'd expect us to reach the semi-finals.

1300567.png

February 2015

215results.png

Current Position: 5th

Another slightly turbulent month, but overall it wasn't too bad. Defeat was expected at the hands of Olympiakos, the Panserraikos result was disappointing but the rest of the fixtures went moderately well. A win over Kavala would have been ideal as they now sit two points above me, furthermore I would have liked to put more past Doxo Dramas in the home leg. That's the negatives out the way! On the plus side, Kaounos has once again ended a long scoring drought with goals in successive games, while Cristiano Zanetti has agreed to act as my assistant manager as well as a player for the rest of the season. Following that, he will become a full time assistant manager - his stats are pretty impressive!

1300567.png

March 2015

315results.png

Current Position: 4th

A few more draws than I would have liked, but it's an unbeaten month, and one which almost guarantees our position in the European qualification playoff. I'm not sure what form that takes just yet, so it should be interesting. After overcoming the potential banana skin of Doxa Dramas in the cup, we must now face Panathinaikos in the semi-final, the strongest team remaining in the draw. Just going to have to wing it, and try and get a lead in the home leg which comes first - I've drawn and lost against them so far this season, failing to score in the process... Wish me luck!

1300567.png

April 2015

415results.png

Current Position: 4th

Another month where we struggled to find consistency, however it didn't matter for the most part. Fourth place was made our own, and we qualified for the playoff - a four team league where each team plays eachother twice, the only catch is that PAOK start with a 'bonus' point for finishing second. My draw away at PAOK seems like an excellent result, however I'll need to beat them at home. I guess I can't put off talking about the cup any longer! A fantastic first leg saw us hold a 2-0 lead, an average second leg saw us lose two goals, and a heartbreaking penalty shootout saw us eliminated. A real shame, I thought we could have won the tournament. It just means we'll have to divert our efforts and attention into the play-offs and ensure we get that top spot! Our next game? Another face-off with Panathinaikos...

1300567.png

May 2015

515results.png

Final Position: 4th (League), 1st (Play-Off)

1415table.png

1415playofftable.png

Unbelievable! And all thanks to a man who has scored one goal all season! Last season we were sent up by a goal from our highest paid, and least prolific forward, Christian Mayrleb, and this time around we qualify for Europe thanks to nine goals in six games from Patrick Kamphuis, who had only managed one goal all season beforehand, and whose signing the fans had described as an "aberration"! Honestly the most exhilarating and thrilling dozen games I've ever experienced on any football management simulator, the thrills were heightened by the fact that I had no idea what position we had to finish to qualify for which tournament. We sat on one point from our first two games, and by our fourth game, Panathinaikos and PAOK already had "EC" beside their names in the table. Had I missed out? Mathematically I could still finish top, but was I missing the point? It turns out that every team in the group ended up qualifying for Europe, even Atromitos who only picked up one point! The four games themselves were unbelievable, nails were bitten, bums were squeaking. Kamphuis was only featuring due to a slight injury suffered by Kaounos, yet he really pulled it out of the bag. So from an unplayable league to the Champions League in three seasons - you couldn't make this up! Panathinaikos went on to lift the cup, however I'd taken the most important prize from their grasp with a late surge in form. We're all going on a European tour, a European tour, a European tour!

Season    Team          League                  Nation      Pos   Cup    Europe    Avg.Att   Balance    Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Kalamata      Football League OPAP    Greece      1st   R1     n/a        2,251    -£200k     Promoted
2014/15   Kalamata      Superleague OPAP        Greece      4th   Semi   n/a        4,918     £1.4m     Won playoff, qualified for CL

1300567.png

July 2015

715results.png

Current Position: n/a

The Champions League qualifiers interrupt our preseason, however our home tie against PSV went about as well as I could have expected. They have an extremely strong team at the moment with players such as Strootman, Pieters and Mertens lining up against us. A score-draw in Holland would send us through, however I don't expect to even get that. The experience of Antonio Cassano and Ebi Smolarek will hopefully help them score regularly as we challenge for the European places once again.

1300567.png

August 2015

815results.png

Well, as expected the PSV game didn't throw up any pleasant surprises, and we were relegated to the Europa League playoff, where I would pace Standard de Liege - I fancied our chances against this lot, as they're no better than the Panathinaikos and PAOK sides we defeated last season. A win at home put us in a decent position, however conceding the away goal could have been costly. Thankfully it wasn't, as we scored two away goals in a 3-2 defeat, narrowly sending us into the group stages! We have a chance to avenge our defeat against PSV as they lost to Dortmund in the Champions League playoff and ended up in my Europa League group, alongside Sevilla and CFR Cluj - the latter of whom I will be hoping to defeat. Two solid league wins put us top, miraculously no other team has managed to win both their first games!

1300567.png

September 2015

915results.png

Current Position: 8th

Our worst month in a long while, although all four games were tough on paper. Would have expected at least a draw at home to Giannina, but the Sevilla and Panathinaikos results weren't too surprising. Other than the good news about the new stadium, there's not a lot to cheer about really. Cassano and Smolarek can't hit a barn door between them, and if they continue to misfire then we could soon find ourselves at the wrong end of the table.

Archived