Roy Crouchson - Taking England to Poland & Ukraine 2012

crouchaldinho

Anybody who watched tonight's game must have seen the tactics didn't suit. We looked like the underdogs against an average Sweden team. I'm sorry these rigid defensive tactics cause too much pressure on the defence. Our inability to keep the ball, almost cost us tonight. Roy would be better off managing Italy. They can keep the bloody ball

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody who watched tonight's game must have seen the tactics didn't suit. We looked like the underdogs against an average Sweden team. I'm sorry these rigid defensive tactics cause too much pressure on the defence. Our inability to keep the ball, almost cost us tonight. Roy would be better off managing Italy. They can keep the bloody ball

How did we look like the underdogs? Apart from that rubbish 15 minutes after half-time we were by far the better side. We haven't beaten Sweden in competitive football in decades, haven't scored 3 goals in a tournament game since 2004, and haven't come back from a set-back like that in a game that mattered since Munich 2001. If you can be negative after watching that then when will you ever enjoy watching England?

Does anyone, apart from the English, actually think England has a squad that can match the top sides for quality?

What db said. What we do have, though, is fitness, pace and strength. Added to that we have one or two players of true quality, along with a (usually) very solid defence. With luck that's more than enough to get deep into tournaments. Enough to win? Probably not. But Greece did it.

I don't get it. So many people on this forum (by that I mean SI Games in general) who live outside England seem to think that England fans are arrogant and sure of their superiority compared to the other teams in this tournament. Where does that impression come from? I really want to know.

I've read tons of comments from non-England football fans suggesting that us England fans believe we're one of the best sides in the world and that we have Euro 2012 in the bag. I don't think anything could be further from the truth. The vast majority of England fans are well grounded, believe me, and know that we aren't world beaters by a fair distance!

I want to find the people who are spreading this false information and punch them in the face. :D

If anything, England fans have a massive inferiority complex when it comes to these competitions and playing top sides. We almost always believe we're going to lose. That's my experience anyway. It has always been that way since I've been an England fan.

As for the teams in this competition, maybe you could say that there are three tiers. First, the top sides who are very capable of winning the competition. Next, a second rank of sides who are all of a similar level and who would all be considered outsiders (England are in this tier, in my opinion). In the second tier, there really isn't much between the teams and this would be the biggest tier. Finally, then perhaps a much smaller group of sides who are below this average.

This tournament, more than ever, the expectations surrounding the England team are very low. It's important to note that this is far from a vintage England side. We're missing some players, of course, who would make a difference, but mainly there is a definite transitional period for England at this time. An older generation of players are being phased out and we're looking for a new generation of players to start emerging.

How did we look like the underdogs? Apart from that rubbish 15 minutes after half-time we were by far the better side. We haven't beaten Sweden in competitive football in decades, haven't scored 3 goals in a tournament game since 2004, and haven't come back from a set-back like that in a game that mattered since Munich 2001. If you can be negative after watching that then when will you ever enjoy watching England?

:D

I agree SnakeXe!

I don't know what on earth was going on when we came back on after half-time! Terrible defending and soft goals. As usual, England are their own worst enemy.

We were much the better side and really ought to have tied up the victory much more convincingly but a win is a win and it was very entertaining stuff! Not that I was enjoying myself at 2-1 down though. :mad:

Aside from the defending during that early second-half period of madness, I was most concerned by the play down both flanks. Ashley Young was anonymous down the left. Meanwhile, Milner seemed to be seeing a lot of the ball but his delivery was letting him down in a big way.

Theo's introduction added pace and a real threat in the wide positions. His goal was somewhat fortuitous although I think the way the ball moved in the air perhaps caught out the keeper who was presumably unsighted? The third goal was down to Walcott providing a proper threat down that right and I was delighted with Welbeck opening his account at Euro 2012. I'd love to see him score some more this tournament.

By the way, how about Carroll's header for the first goal? Yeah, he won't get that much time and space against a top quality defence but with that sort of strength and power he has he could always be an asset for England in the box.

Some interesting decisions for Hodgson in the next game. Does Walcott deserve a starting place or will he stick with the more workmanlike Milner who you know will put in a shift? Roy seems to favour playing one out-and-out attacking wide player (e.g. Young) with another more solid wide midfielder on the other side (e.g. Milner). Even more interesting though will be to see who Rooney will come in for? If it was my choice, I'd be sticking with Welbeck and bringing in Rooney to play with him.

BTW, how are people enjoying the tournament generally?

Already far more entertaining and better football on show than at World Cup 2010, in my opinion. Certainly some more thrilling games and some better quality on show. I think that damn Jabulani ball spoilt a lot of the World Cup, whereas this ball seems far more reliable and therefore we're seeing better football and better goals in this tournament.

As for England, it's a vast improvement on 2010, isn't it? Boring Roy in charge but we've already scored more goals! ;)

UEFA World Cup Qualifiers, Group 8 - England 0 Ukraine 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

Back to Roy Crouchson's world (although, I have to say quickly that we'd be happy with this result IRL, wouldn't we? ;))!

Another example of a game where we didn't have the attacking quality needed to break down a side at Wembley.

We had plenty of possession but just didn't create enough. Gerrard was particularly guilty of a poor performance.

It's a disappointment but we're still looking fairly comfortable in the group table.

FIFA Confederations Cup 2013, Group B - Japan 1 England 2

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

With Danny Welbeck unavailable for this tournament due to injury, I went with Wilshere in the middle and Gerrard behind Rooney.

This first game saw us playing well below par. We still came away with a result but it was quite fortunate as we struggled to find our rhythm.

We'll take the result but we'll have to get better if we're going to reach our target of a semi-final place.

FIFA Confederations Cup 2013, Group B - England 2 Mexico 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

Once again, a much closer game than I would have liked, despite what the score line suggests.

Essentially, Mexico were wasteful whilst we were lethal in front of goal and took our chances.

This result puts us through into the semi-finals. We've got Uruguay in our last match of the group stages.

FIFA Confederations Cup 2013, Group B - Uruguay 0 England 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

The toughest team we've played so far. A very tight and tense game.

I dropped Wilshere and put Gerrard back into the centre of midfield. Bent came in to partner Rooney in the absence of Danny Welbeck but he was largely disappointing.

A draw was good enough but I was concerned that the performance was far from convincing from certain players. Gerrard and Young disappointed me.

However, we go through to the semi-finals of the competition now, so no complaints there.

FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 Semi Finals - England 3 Brazil 4

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

We finished up on the wrong end of this thriller!

Once again, I restored Wilshere to the midfield and pushed Gerrard up to play behind Rooney.

We scored two goals in the first 33 minutes to find ourselves 2-0 up! However, Brazil pulled back two through Neymar to bring it level.

Steven Gerrard put us back in front from the penalty spot. At this point were were astonishingly 3-2 up versus the Brazilians and looking comfortable.

We couldn't hold on. Dede pulled one back in injury time to force the game into extra-time.

At this point, Roy's England boys were looking tired. If we're being honest, there only looked like one winner. Our best chance was to see the game out the penalties really but we kept pushing.

Unfortunately, Maicon grabbed the winner on 106 minutes. We pushed everything forward but couldn't find an equaliser.

Quite the roller coaster. There were some good signs here for the English too. We matched Brazil for starters and were worth the draw after 90 minutes. Also, the performance of young Jack Wilshere, who might have been man of the match, was a great sign for the future. On the negative side, this was a very poor defensive performance and we have to look at our back four after conceding four goals in this match.

Out of the tournament but not shamed. We played out part in the best game of the tournament and will go into the third-placed play-off game with pride rather than any disappointment! :)

UEFA World Cup Qualifiers, Group 8 - England 4 Poland 1

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

I had an accident with this one, accidentally holidaying past the date of the next match to the next squad selection date. Therefore, this is my assistant, Alan Shearer's, team selection rather than mine.

Normally, I would insist on playing every single match and would never holiday. However, as this was ultimately a meaningless match in terms of the fact that we had already qualified, and more importantly as I had no save to return to, I let this one go and just took the result as it came. Unfortunately, the only save I had to revert to was before the Montenegro match, and I really didn't want to have to replay a game just so that I could take control of this last match.

Anyway, Shearer's team did okay as you can see. We rounded off a fine qualification campaign with a solid win at Wembley.

Congrats on qualification crouchie :thup:

Unfortunate result against Brazil though.

I just played 2 3-3 draws in my main save at Arsenal and Man City. Thrillers are truly horrible to be a part of but absolutely fantastic when you are neutral :D

International Friendly 2013 - Serbia 0 England 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

No Gerrard, so I went with Wilshere in the middle. Rooney and Welbeck were partnered up front. At the back, Phil Jones came in to play alongside Shawcross.

Not the strongest performance in a pretty tight game. A clean sheet was welcome though. Tom Huddlestone put us under some pressure late on by getting sent off.

International Friendly 2013 - England 2 Australia 1

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

We were well in charge, as you'd expect.

More or less stuck with the strongest XI. Phil Jones impressed at the back whilst Danny Welbeck was poor up front.

Regarding Welbeck's performance, it does bring up the question of whether he is clinical enough in front of goal. There is a temptation, when Gerrard returns, to switch to a 4-4-1-1 and to drop Welbeck. Perhaps that might be my plan A for the World Cup.

England's Preliminary World Cup Squad:

RoyCrouchsonNews_Inbox-1.jpg

The major news was the recall of Frank Lampard, now 34 or 35 (I forget which!)

There was significant criticism from the media on this one but Lampard had just had a great season with Chelsea, who won the Premier League title. I couldn't ignore him. Plus, I figured it was worth experimenting with him in the pre-World Cup friendly matches as a tactical possibility. If I was really going to switch to 4-4-1-1 for the World Cup, it may make more sense to bring in another creative midfielder like Lampard. And, if I'm honest, England don't have great options in midfield. Lampard's technical abilities outweigh a lot of the other midfield players available. It was hard not to see this decision as a massive climbdown from Roy Crouchson, however.

The other major issue for Crouchson to think about was whether or not to include Steven Gerrard, who is suffering with injury that could keep him out of at least two of the World Cup group matches, if not more. It was rumoured, at the time of going to press, that Crouchson would call up his captain, Gerrard, regardless of the injury and hope that a speedy recovery might see him feature later in the competition.

International Friendly 2014 - England 2 Ghana 2

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

A poor performance. We were dominant at times in this match but we still let Ghana score two goals from hardly anything. Worrying signs.

I experimented with the 4-4-1-1 that I talked about previously. I brought Lampard into the middle of the park as an experiment and went with Wilshere behind Rooney.

During the course of the game, I also got the chance to bring Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain off the bench to see if he could play himself into my World Cup squad.

Lampard was really poor in this match and this more or less confirmed in my mind that he was not an option for the final squad.

There were positive signs from Jack Wilshere but otherwise this was not a great show from my players. I was slightly worried with Phil Jones at centre-back and in my mind I started to have doubts about starting him in that position.

Plenty of doubts creeping in after this match. A lot for Crouchson to think about.

Final England Squad for World Cup 2014:

RoyCrouchsonNews_Inbox-4.jpg

No real surprises as I kept faith with the players who had done the business in qualification.

As said above, the main concern was Steven Gerrard, who would be going into the World Cup with an injury and there was a good chance that he wouldn't play much in the group stages.

International Friendly 2014 - England 3 Ivory Coast 1

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

This was a chance for me to decide upon a starting XI for the first match at the World Cup.

In the end though, I rested Rooney and went with a Crouch and Welbeck front line to see what they could do together.

Once again, despite winning the match, I was left with some worries over certain players. Phil Jones didn't look good enough at the back for us, raising questions about his ability in the air and certainly giving me some concerns over starting him alongside Shawcross. Then there was Danny Welbeck, who had once again disappointed up front. Was he clinical enough in front of goal? Would he struggle for goals against good opposition? I was starting to feel that Welbeck didn't have the quality movement and finishing abilities of a true international striker, despite being an all round fairly talented player.

International Friendly 2014 - England 3 Saudi Arabia 1

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

Another very unconvincing display really as Wayne Rooney scored a hat-trick of penalties to win the game.

I brought Lescott in for Jones at the back. Up front, however, I stuck with Welbeck, bringing Rooney back to play alongside him.

In the end, I actually decided to push Jones into a midfield position to see how he would get on there. I also experimented in various other positions giving the likes of Glen Johnson, Cole, Milner, Carrick and Adam Johnson a start.

I'm left with quite a few questions left unanswered as we go into World Cup Brazil 2014.

Wow I've missed a lot!

- Good job at the Confederations Cup, always a shame to go down by the odd goal in 7 but 3rd place is a good result.

- Very good job in qualifying so strongly for the World Cup

- Interesting decision to recall Lampard and then ditch him again!

- Good luck in the World Cup!

I am similarly really enjoying the Euros - for me they're always much more fun and high-quality than the World Cup (with the possible exception of 2000).

Enjoying reading this thread! i for one hope you do England proud at the World Cup

Who took over from Fergie @ Man. Utd?

Thanks!

Louis Van Gaal took the job after Fergie.

I like that group.

Not bad, huh?

Been away from the forums for awhile so decided to catch up asap, you was unlucky against Brazil but to be fair they look strong hopefully the world cup should be better for you.

Now im back will be following from here as much as possible.

Thanks!

Fingers crossed for a good World Cup!

Wow I've missed a lot!

- Good job at the Confederations Cup, always a shame to go down by the odd goal in 7 but 3rd place is a good result.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't disappointed really as I wasn't too bothered about the competition.

- Very good job in qualifying so strongly for the World Cup

Yeah, we did pretty well in the end.

- Interesting decision to recall Lampard and then ditch him again!

I was just looking at my options really. Lampard had a quality season at Chelsea. We're really lacking the quality midfielders that I would like us to have so I really felt that I should take a look at him.

I thought maybe Lampard would have one last hurrah as an option to take to the World Cup. However, he was terrible in that pre-World Cup friendly against Ghana.

- Good luck in the World Cup!

I am similarly really enjoying the Euros - for me they're always much more fun and high-quality than the World Cup (with the possible exception of 2000).

Thanks!

And yes, the Euros have often been better to watch than the World Cup for me too.

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, Group B - Japan 2 England 1

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

Shock and horror.

We lose our opening game of the World Cup to Japan.

Japan shocked us with an early goal before Wayne Rooney pulled us level. From that point onwards, we should have taken control, surely?

However, on 36 minutes Joe Hart makes a calamitous mistake to gift Japan a goal. It was the sort of goalkeeping mistake that leads those who believe that England have some sort of curse at major tournaments hanging over them to strengthen their claims! Whether it's penalties, goalkeeping mistakes or terrible individual errors, England have seemed to be their own worst enemy in many a tournament. Add this one to the record books! Such was the enormity of the mistake that I actually decided to take Hart off at half-time.

We just couldn't get back into the match in the second-half, despite having the better of the play. We've lost our opening game of World Cup 2014. Where do we go from here?

Other match: Russia beat Mali 1-0

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, Group B - England 3 Mali 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

At last, we are up and running at this tournament. A big result for us after the disappointment in the first game.

We were by far the better side and fully deserved the win.

Joe Hart came back in and a clean sheet will have helped his confidence although in truth he only had one effort on target to deal with!

I kept faith with the side that lost against Japan and they repaid my faith with this solid performance and, most importantly, three points.

Other match: Russia beat Japan 2-0

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, Group B - England 0 Russia 0

Match Stats

Formation & Ratings

The pressure was on in this match with us desperately needing a result in order to secure qualification.

We didn't really play that well. It was an even match really in terms of chances but we didn't keep the ball well enough and didn't create enough. Very disappointing.

Luckily for us, Japan lost their last match, which meant that our modest haul of 4 points was enough to see us through to the second round.

Suddenly I'm having major doubts about Danny Welbeck up front. I've often felt that he isn't clinical enough and that his attacking movement could be better. It's three games against opposition where we should be scoring goals and Welbeck has done very little in front of goal. I have a crisis of confidence in my striking options and think about starting Darren Bent alongside Rooney in the second round match.

Could Bent come in and solve our issues in front of goal? He's not an world beater but you can't really fault his ability to sniff out a goal. His movement and finishing ability is better than what we currently have plus he has just had a very good season in the Premier League. In fact, he was top scorer in the Premier League with 24 goals in 35 games for Aston Villa. My mind is almost made up. Could this be a defining moment of the tournament for England?

Other match: Japan lose 5-1 to Mali

Second round opponents for England: the hosts, Brazil, who finished top of group A having recorded three victories in the group stages

Archived