The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kristian:

Magic game, absolutely gripping. Top marks to both teams for going for it righ to the end. Nacho man does it again and Ricksen outstanding as has become usual this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I realise it should be "Nacho person", I wouldn't like to be sexist, in addition to my obvious racism and sectarianism.

Apologies to all the ladies out there. In fact apologies to everyone ever.

MON - Get it right up ye!

What a result icon_smile.gif, we could have been out of a cup, and out of the league if results had gone the other way this month. We have clawed back 8 points on Celtic.

We have captured that never say die spirit and teams have to be taking notice that this Rangers team are on the roll and nothing is going to stop them without one hell of a fight. icon_cool.gif

Celtic have Hib’s next and that could be another fight, we could be a few points up by Xmas. But even the one will do…..

icon_biggrin.gif

I understand that indeed Rangers are on fire with 'lost son' Fernando Ricksen in top notch form. Will Prso be playing up front on thursday?

This is, probably, how AZ will line up seeing as that's the first eleven our coach Adriaanse has started most games this season:

..............................Henk Timmer.....................

Jan Kromkamp........Barry Opdam........Joris Mathijsen......Tim de Cler

...............Denny Landzaat..........Michael Buskermolen.......

Martijn Meerdink..........................................Kenneth Perez

.............................Barry van Galen...........................

.............................Stein Huysegems............

With Timmer being the keeper, Huysegems the man up front, just in case you didn't know that . Note that we got two left-footed central defenders (Opdam / Mathijsen) which is working out great generally. Mathijsen has been in outstanding form recently yielding him a first Cap against Andorra two weeks ago.

Michael Buskermolen is now officially "Mr. AZ" as, after having played against FC Groningen yesterday, he now played the most official games for AZ (442 games) breaking the record of legendary striker Kees Kist.

Denny Landzaat has replaced PSV-midfielder Mark van Bommel in the Dutch National Squad this year. No minor achievement. Probably the first player to go since i understand many 'Big' clubs are now after him. We bought him from Willem 2 halfway through last season for a mere 800,000 Euro (+/-560,000 GBP ) where he had ended up on the subs bench. Though Denny did not have an impressive start with us (3 yellow cards in his first three games) he soon became AZ main Engine in Central Midfield becoming the Man with the creative ideas for us. The main link between Defence and Attack.

Barry van Galen or 'Barrygoal' is the Fans Favourite and has been for many years. Despite his age (34) he finally made his debut in the Dutch National side against Andorra two weeks ago, together with the aforementioned Mathijsen, rewarding him for his achievements with AZ, especially this past one-and-a-half years which have been a bit of a succes-story for us. If it was ever possible to label a player as 'brilliant' it's with Barry van Galen. Though strictly left-footed, this is the guy to watch when it comes to quick sneaky passes, lobs and superb free kicks. His eye for the game is unsurpassed in Holland. The thing that has always hampered recognition for his talents is the fact he played for a mid-table side and his many, many fouls and subsequent bookings . Barry has always been the Dutch equivalent of Steven Gerrard to give you a bit of an idea about his temperament. In fact, as far as playing style is concerned, that's a pretty accurate comparrison aswell.

Finally, Stein Huysegems the man in the point. Definately not a scoring machine though vital in attack (in my humble opinion). Works his ass off creating space for the upcoming players like Van Galen, Meerdink and Perez. Kenneth Perez, Danish international, is a great player, in my view, ranking just below Van Galen in terms of Footballing ability. He's not that popular with the fans as he is quite arrogant and seems a bit lazy at times. Not a player you'll treasure when your on the back paddle. Still a guy that can both score goals and help create them. The guy who takes the free kicks when a right footer is required. He's not been very lucky with those yet.

Anyway, this is a small intro to the team that, hopefully, will upset you guys a little on thursday.

I won't be bantering away in this thread come thursday as i'm inside the Stadium icon_frown.gif (or icon_biggrin.gif )

Yes, Prso will be playing up front...

Our likely team will be:

____________________________Klos______________________________

Zurab_________Andrews_______________Boumsong____________Vignal

Namouchi______Ricksen_______________Rae____________Lovenkrands

_________________Novo_________________Prso_____________________

We usually play 4-4-2 essentially with Namouchi floating in between the front 2 and the midfield. We often change it though to Namouchi up front with Prso and Novo moving out wide.

It means we have quite a flexible team, which is pretty offensive in nature. At the moment, Ricksen and Rae provide the hard work and steel while Andrews and Boumsong compliment each other with their brawn and brains...

Namouchi should play and has done well so far in his first full season at Rangers. Vignal has been injured recently so don't be surprised to see someone else play at left back.

It will be a very, very good game on Thursday.

Hearts did play pretty well yesterday and could well have got a point.

We had a poor first half, but once agai lifted the pace in the second half. Once we scored the 2nd goal, the game looked done, but Hearts scored an equaliser on the break and could easily have scored a 3rd before us.

Another good result though and encouraging team spirit.

Good game yesterday, toughest game we've had at ibrox this year and its a welcome change to see Hearts play football. If John Robertson is given time with that side he could maybe mount a challenge for the title next year, but its unlikley he'll be there if The commie takes over.

Not Surprised to see Ball saved for Thursday and AZ for what will be another tough game, they are comming thick and fast for us just now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Floater 5000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Hughes on for Namouchi <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

famous last words he set up the winner icon_wink.gif

Ter, I'd be delighted with a 0-0 bore draw.

Have heard that Vignal probably won't make it so Ball will be playing.

Also, no no no no to Yakin. I think we got a bit lucky earlier this season when the deal fell through, because McLeish stumled onto the fact that if we play one holding midfielder (Bob/Rae as he is playing presently)and one headless chicken ball-winner (Ricksen) it lets him play the 2 attacking midfielders (Burke/Namouchi and Lovelypants) and allows us to get possession back quicker when they clear, that helps us put them under pressure constantly.

Yakin's a good player, but not sure he fits into our current style of play. If we have £500k then let's spend it on Ball.

It is the most divisive topic amongst us at the moment!

Personally I think once he's fit he's the best left back at the club. He doesn't have Vignal's engine, but then Vignal doesn't have such a sweet left foot. Ball got badly let down last season by Lovenkrands, cause every time he got the ball he saw Pete either right in front of him or running away without looking for the pass. Ball ended up every time playing that aimless ball onto the edge of the penalty area from the half-way line.

This year though he has more movement ahead of him and I think he'd be better for it.

We lost our creative midfield when we sold both Barry and Mikel Arteta and we all miss de Boer on the wing. We need a spark, a talent and creatively sharp mind in the middle of the park. Can we clone Gazza. (god I miss the excitement he brought, you never new what he would do next).

Would you bring Ricksen back to right back lads?

We need a left winger that can play the whole game and is not Lovenkrands any suggestions?

Is Zurab a RB?

I’d like a quality creative midfielder, a left winger and possibly left back.

I think we need a new Rb as Hutton/Zurab/Ross are not good enough.

If Hutton can't get a game ahead of Zurab the way he's playing atm then Eck feels the same way.

Agree with Yakin being a Nono. Not kicked a ball for 2 years since he left Basle.

Also think Michael Ball is absolute guff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ter, I'd be delighted with a 0-0 bore draw. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

with the way the two teams are playing at the moment, I reckon more like a high scoring draw -maybe 2-2 at least icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Agree with Yakin being a Nono. Not kicked a ball for 2 years since he left Basle.

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he was at euro 2004. did well from what i remember <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye but he's hardly played club football in that time

injury and messed up move to psg last season and fell out of favour at stuutgart since sammer came in

the PSG thing was all politics...he moved and they passed him in the medical, but the swiss doctors found a hernia.....

PSG denied knowledge off it and told him not to have operation, but he did anyways.....they cancelled the transfer. Itwent on for ages

dunno about Stuttgart though, not been following it as closely as i usually do :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Fernando Ricksen has said he is determined to stay at Rangers "for a long time" - despite his contract negotiations stalling.

The 28-year-old has been an integral part of the club's return to the top of the SPL.

The midfielder has failed to agree terms with the club, with his current deal set to expire in the summer.

The Dutch international was speaking as he prepared to face his former club AZ Alkmaar in the Uefa Cup.

"My contract is expiring but the club have indicated they are very, very keen to keep me," Ricksen said.

"Do I see myself coming back to AZ? I'll never say never but, for the time being, I can't see myself leaving Rangers.

"Rangers and I will definitely work something out which will make me stay here for a long time.

"Even though AZ are now a big club in Holland, they are not like Rangers.

Rangers and I must work this out and we will work it out."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

from BBC Sport's website

nice boost ahead of Thursday's game icon14.gif

Archived