The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lager:

This is turning into our John Barnes season. Hopefully we won't leave it as long as Celtic did before we recognise what needs to be done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the odd thing is if you look at his results in hindsight they weren't too bad at first. the bad results tie in with when larsson broke his leg.

he still was a disaster.

who would you guys want to take over?

i'd imagine there's a good chance it'll be someone from within the spl.

wonder what the odds are on jim duffy...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Could possibly be Levein as he's on a rolling contract iirc, and won't cost much in the way of compensation. (assuming Big Eck is getting the bullet) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sincerely hope not...

But we are not in a position to turn down anyone right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Not convinced by Levein myself, a few people swear by him though :/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His record is OK. He's managed to get Hearts to a decent standard and seems to cope well with other aspects of the job.

However, I feel we need a man with experience, IF we can afford/attract such a guy...

• SI Staff

Just look at McLeish's European record since he's taken over

Rangers 1-1 Feyenoord

Feyenoord 3-2 Rangers

Zizkov 2-0 Rangers

Rangers 3-1 Zizkov (Oot on away goals)

Rangers 1-1 FC Copenhagen

FC Copenhagen 1-2 Rangers

Rangers 2-1 Stuttgart

Panathinaikos 1-1 Rangers

Rangers 0-1 Man Utd

Man Utd 3-0 Rangers

Stuttgart 1-0 Rangers

Rangers 1-3 Panathinaikos

CSKA Moscow 2-1 Rangers

Rangers 1-1 CSKA Moscow

Maritimo 1-0 Rangers

We've only won 3 of those matches and barring the Man Utd games we really should be beating those teams, most of them easily.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Just look at McLeish's European record since he's taken over

Rangers 1-1 Feyenoord

Feyenoord 3-2 Rangers

Zizkov 2-0 Rangers

Rangers 3-1 Zizkov (Oot on away goals)

Rangers 1-1 FC Copenhagen

FC Copenhagen 1-2 Rangers

Rangers 2-1 Stuttgart

Panathinaikos 1-1 Rangers

Rangers 0-1 Man Utd

Man Utd 3-0 Rangers

Stuttgart 1-0 Rangers

Rangers 1-3 Panathinaikos

CSKA Moscow 2-1 Rangers

Rangers 1-1 CSKA Moscow

Maritimo 1-0 Rangers

We've only won 3 of those matches and barring the Man Utd games we really should be beating those teams, most of them easily. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said above that I couldn't remember the last time we had kept a clean sheet in Europe. No wonder. That is an awful record. Never mind win/lose or draw we haven't even kept a clean sheet in Europe with McLeish in charge.

The only question left in my mind is are we going to have to sack him or is he going to go 'by mutual consent'.

Tbf, only Juve in recent years have picked up a win at Maritimo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't about one game Eleanor....

His overall record is not good enough and he can't stay in the job for me...

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lager:

I said above that I couldn't remember the last time we had kept a clean sheet in Europe. No wonder. That is an awful record. Never mind win/lose or draw we haven't even kept a clean sheet in Europe with McLeish in charge. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't bode well for the second leg then... unless he's gone by then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

he won't go, he thinks hes up to the job mate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haw Vidmar...you not interested in coming through to the meet-up.

I could do with another bear to drown my sorrows with... icon_wink.gif

I had normally don’t want anyone to get the sack, football managers wise but I have to emit that because there was no consideration for bringing in a quality midfielder or two and the fact the or RB is playing in midfield, we have no quality attacking wingers and we have forwards playing everywhere. icon_rolleyes.gif

I only play CM, but I’d be disgraced to put out such a team on the pitch, and when problems are so obvious I’d sort them out.

Sorry to say I don’t think Eck has a clue and has ridden his luck far enough. icon_mad.gif

He simply is not tactically aware, able to motivate or instruct his team icon_frown.gif

I’d rather have George Graham, and that’s saying something.

icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

he really did'nt like it, it was chopped after 3 seconds icon_wink.gif

Not nice to get peoples hopes up like that tho icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's amazing what crap he allows on there, but chops light-hearted stuff...

Doesn't answer when you ask him either and this is a guy on the RST representing the likes of us...

i decided against joining the rst tbh, as most of the time i don't agree with the majority of them and its a majority rule type thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They actually seem to be losing their way somewhat...

It will be interesting how many renewals it gets after another likely season of woe...

Pretty much agree with what has been said by people, he has to go now...

Its just getting beyond a joke now..

But who to bring in.... Would someone like Strachs come anywhere near us? I know Wouters had a bad time at Ajax but i doubt he would be any worse than McLeish at least until we find someone a bit better...

Eck has three weeks to turn things around and some have decided within Ibrox that Change is needed at the top and a good quality manger is need is to be brought in for next season. The main reason being results in Europe this season and the reminder of last season.

For the remainder of the season, if results don’t go Ecks way and he will be replaced due to mounting pressure and I am afraid Craig Brown will be brought in to see out the remainder of the season.

Just remember were you read it icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

not sounding too hot against ict <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then again when in the past few weeks has the gers sounded hot against anyone, only saving grace is klos.

Watched the Hib’s game and Celtic were no better. Even with Cetics first goal being off side I guess Hibs would be well happy.

I have seen Celtic twice this past week and I have to say wee Juninho looks at all sorts I would expect more than 10 minutes of decent play from him. Poor Joos is just terrible right now as well, he will cost Celtic in the CL without Jackie. And the less said about Lennon in the Hibs game the better, I think he thought it was Vollyball with the amount of times he handled it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sav112:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

But then again when in the past few weeks has the gers sounded hot against anyone, only saving grace is klos.

Watched the Hib’s game and Celtic were no better. Even with Cetics first goal being off side I guess Hibs would be well happy.

I have seen Celtic twice this past week and I have to say wee Juninho looks at all sorts I would expect more than 10 minutes of decent play from him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he set up both goals. and was playing better before mon bizarrely took him off.

he was so awful against barca he created 2 chances against the run of play and would have scored if he hadn't been flagged offside.

we're playing crap though and are still way ahead in the league icon_biggrin.gif

you are not kidding, this game is horrendous to listen to on the radio, ffs haven't any of the Rangers players even heard of the words "hold on to the ball?" icon13.gif

3 points in the bag, but if Caley had scored in that 2nd half we wouldnt have been able to complain, I expect most Rangers fans (including myself) were cacking it every time Caley were coming forward icon13.gif maybe away in recent times, but that's a rare case at Ibrox icon_frown.gif

Aberdeen in the Cup in midweek, I can only hope we can score up there, cause if we dont we are gonna probably lose icon13.gif

he was so awful against barca <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

totally agree there icon_biggrin.gif

I had the radio on as well and it sounded poor, happy to get the points and close the gap to 5 all the same.

Liked the fact the Gers clapped ICT off the pitch for all there chances, well deserved, not like some in Blue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sav112:

Eck has three weeks to turn things around and some have decided within Ibrox that Change is needed at the top and a good quality manger is need is to be brought in for next season. The main reason being results in Europe this season and the reminder of last season.

For the remainder of the season, if results don’t go Ecks way and he will be replaced due to mounting pressure and I am afraid Craig Brown will be brought in to see out the remainder of the season.

Just remember were you read it icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said, i'd give eck a few weeks!

Can't believe the game yesterday, Ginger Baws better be out on his arse when the sheep beat us on wednesday, the team and performance were a disgrace yesterday.

As was the stand side linesman who flagged Peter Lovenkrands offside from a THROW IN, yes thats right, according to that guy you can be offside from a throw in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>_"We are really delighted,"_ said McLeish after a 1-0 win at Ibrox.

"Hopefully that is a wee bit of a turning point for us. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha

how many turning points has that been now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

360 degrees. icon_razz.gif

I think you are being somewhat harsh on McLeish.

I don't think anyone would have said his signings at the start of the season were bad. Boumsong, Novo, Prso and Rae were all tried and tested. Mladenovic and Andrews being the only two questionable buys.

You guys were all saying Novo was a "no brainer" signing, but he hasn't done it. Neither has Prso. The players aren't doing it. Now he has 2 central midfielders injured one who is a certain starter. He didn't have the luxury of affording any more players.

The reason he let Moore back in the door was because he needed as many guys in the squad as he could.

Boumsong is the only new signing that I can see who has done anything, even though the others are clearly talented enough to perform well.

A bit like people blaming Hal Sutton for putting Mickelson and Woods together, he can't control them playing mince when they have such amazing talent.[off-topic]

Archived