Why do not you support other languages?

If it's a legal issue, as Miles suggests above, then their hands are simply tied - they have to do whatever is legally required of them.

I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason why this would be a legal issue, I can't believe there are laws that force companies throughout the world to use resources putting in place means to stop people from certain countries translating the language used in their product into a local form.

Are all these first time posters the same person?

Not sure if toy chucking is the right way to go on this, maybe a nicely worded email/letter to Sega asking for clarification is a better option.

Are all these first time posters the same person?

Not sure if toy chucking is the right way to go on this, maybe a nicely worded email/letter to Sega asking for clarification is a better option.

Nah, they'll be from an SI community forum just backing up the points that they all feel.

As I eluded to a few posts up the Chinese community have reached an impasse where no further comment can be made by SI on a public forum, the only option remaining it to privately contact Sega (legal or consumer affairs) to ask for a clarification on the issue.

As a translator in several languages, I can tell you that a game with this magnitude would take a long time to translate, code and test. You're looking at some serious money being spent on a translator or a team of translators. It evidently, from a back-seat opinion is not economically viable in any stretch of the imagination.

As a translator in several languages, I can tell you that a game with this magnitude would take a long time to translate, code and test. You're looking at some serious money being spent on a translator or a team of translators. It evidently, from a back-seat opinion is not economically viable in any stretch of the imagination.

Are you deliberately trying to sabotage your chances of work? :D

Translations are a nightmare to QA as well - every language requires a separate QA cycle to make sure it's all working correctly.

The amount of time I've spent playing FM in Dutch, for example, is crazy. Though it was worrying that I was still able to navigate around successfully without actually understanding a word of it :/

I'm a Chinese player too but I'm personally fine with both the English version and older patches so not really a crisis for me... Still some nagging:

- The anti-piracy comment is clearly not the point since a) SEGA/SI have done a good job blocking the pirate efforts in the most recent patches so most players, Chinese or not, have paid for the game, and b) a large number of Chinese players are not able to play the game in English, so blocking fan-made translation work will force them to use potential pirated versions - which effectively supports piracy.

- It's even more ridiculous to conclude that this has anything to do with politics. FM is just a game and should not be worth much political attention from those messy authorities. So long as the games doesn't literally say that it supports Taiwan as a separate country and kill all Chinese, it will not be banned in China.

- It all boils down to financial feasibility. Miles has made it very clear that FM is not earning enough money from China. And I assume if one day China becomes one of the main revenue streams for SEGA/SI then all these translation/politics/piracy arguments will become bull shizzle. A corporation will for sure find its way to clear up all this crap if it stands in the way of profitability. The problem is, for a market that a) is not huge yet but represents substantial growth potential, and b) English version cannot be easily used and accepted, blocking fan-made patches would effectively kill the whole market. In my opinion if SEGA/SI have any strategic planning in mind, they should take the middle-ground approach - neither support translation nor block fan-made work. The market will grow by itself and once it hits the internal threshold, release official translation and further boost local presence.

Wow that's a lot of words... Anyway, China is a huge market that SEGA/SI should not neglect. What they're doing right now is not helping themselves.

Hi guys,

I have been a super fan for FM since cm0304 era. Actually, in China, there is a very famous FM fans site called Ballpump. Every year after new version of FM was released, Ballpump will call for some volunteers who can speak good English to translate the game compeletly for free. People who participate the translation project earns not even a penny. Why do they want to spend all their spare time to do something that gives no economic return? I am saying this not because I hope SI do the same thing (translate the game for free). I know that is not realistic for such a big company. But why not try to contact the leader of the translation group? Why not try to cooperate? The group has been working on FM translation since 2001. They are super experienced in dealing with the translation, every year's Chinese version FM was well translated. The translation is compelete, accurate and funny (what? funny? trust me, it is :) ). Anyway, all I mean is that it will not cost SI much to do the official translaltion if they can cooperate with Ballpump, since works like coding, translating and debugging has all been done by Ballpump. I'm sure Ballpump will more than happy to do the official translation for SI if SI agrees to make Chinese the 13th officially supported language.

Thanks.

The problem is that if you localize a game unofficially, you have to hack it first, which in a way totally violated the ToU. I suggest SI try to localize the game into zh-TW and release the version in Hong Kong which is a good way to avoid the censorship in China. Or if SI would like to do a zh-CN version, send me a message, i have some resources to do it.

SI are a company that have morals. I'd rather have my favourite game made by a company that has morals and a lower revenue stream to the extent that I'd pay more for it, than to have it made by a company that ditches its morals for a bit of filthy lucre.

But remember it is the CCP banning the game not SI refusing to sell there.

- The anti-piracy comment is clearly not the point since a) SEGA/SI have done a good job blocking the pirate efforts in the most recent patches so most players, Chinese or not, have paid for the game, and b) a large number of Chinese players are not able to play the game in English, so blocking fan-made translation work will force them to use potential pirated versions - which effectively supports piracy.

- It all boils down to financial feasibility. Miles has made it very clear that FM is not earning enough money from China. And I assume if one day China becomes one of the main revenue streams for SEGA/SI then all these translation/politics/piracy arguments will become bull shizzle. A corporation will for sure find its way to clear up all this crap if it stands in the way of profitability. The problem is, for a market that a) is not huge yet but represents substantial growth potential, and b) English version cannot be easily used and accepted, blocking fan-made patches would effectively kill the whole market. In my opinion if SEGA/SI have any strategic planning in mind, they should take the middle-ground approach - neither support translation nor block fan-made work. The market will grow by itself and once it hits the internal threshold, release official translation and further boost local presence.

These are proberbly the two reasons why they don't make chinese translations and the legal side will be attributed to piracy. This is why games companies can't get round piracy because someone out there will always look to do so no matter the situation. Translations, use of steam, origin etc. Best thing to do is roll with the punches and hope the markets speak for themselves and purchase the game legally. Don't understand though why game companies don't put virus code in games that if pirated would break the game simple solution all round.

Archived