“Some people think football is a matter of life and death"

chile_paul

untitled.png

Football Focus Special Edition - Scottish Football update

In this new special annual edition of Football Focus, the BBC is going to take a special detailed look at the state of the game in countries around the world, starting with a review of the game just North of the border in Scotland to look at how the game is being rebuilt following the financial crisis of 2012 which almost resulted in Rangers football club, one of the most historic clubs in the world ceasing to exist.

Of course, there are very few people who will have forgotten the drama of that 2011/12 season when Ranger's went into administration following the failed reign of Craig Whyte and were docked 10 points, apperently handing the title on a plate to Celtic........ only for Celtic to bottle it in the last few weeks of the season, only picking up 1 point from their last 3 games and allowing Rangers to steal the title out of knowhere by a single point. The shocks kept on coming, when it emerged that there were no successfuly bidders to buy the club and on the day before they ceased to exist maligned director Craig Whyte one a legal challenge allowing him to agree a CVA with the clubs creditors, retain ownership of the club and avoid the proposed fines and transfer embargo from the Scottish FA.

Now nothing that has followed since has been able to match the drama of that season, but let's have a look at some of the highlights:

* Unsurprisingly the league title has been doinated by both Rangers and Celtic, but it has been a truly competitive contest between the 2 of them with the title changing hands each season following the 2011/12 win by Rangers

* Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist both remain the managers of these two footballing giants, having built strong followings with the supporters, although Lennon came very close to losing the crowd in the 2013/14 season when they only kept 2nd spot by a meagre 4 points from 3rd placed Hearts with Rangers storming away to a 14 point lead which had seen them tie up the league title by March

* In Europe, there is widespread recognition from Scottish fans that the hey-day when Rangers and Celtic were capable of challenging the big boys of Europe are long since gone, having said that a slight resurgence in form in the last few years has resulted in Scotland jumping up the UEFA co-efficient ranking tables giving current league champions Rangers direct entry into the Champions League group stages.

* Despite having a strong showing in the league, Rangers have drawn a complete blank in the running for either the Scottish cup or the League cup and in fact the Scottish cup has proven to be a surprisingly open contest with Celtic only lifting the title once and Dundee Utd, Dunfermiline, Aberdeen and St. Mirren amongst the other teams to lift the famous trophy. Celtic have had a better showing in the League cup with 3 titles and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd lifting the title once.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cafchampionsleague.png

So with no opportunity to prepare my new team or bed them in with league fixtures not starting until August, we're straight into the deep-end of Champions League group stages with two tough fixtures away to TP Mazembe and then a home tie versus Orlando Pirates. Whilst I don't really expect to get anything out of this group, I'd like to think that I have an outside chance of snatching 3rd place from TP Mazembe, but in order to do this I realisitically need at least a point from my first game and then hopefully park a bus in front of my goal when Orlando Pirates come to visit and get some sort of result.

The first game didn't set a good precedent for what was to come however as TP Mazembe outplayed us from the start and rapidly had a series of opportunities to score. I had set out with a very defensive formation however and managed to prevent them from taking the lead and as time progressed we became more comfortable. By half time I was gaining confidence that we might still be in with a chance of a point and as the minutes ticked by and their players started to fatigue, not having had as detailed a pre-season campaign as my team I began to think we might even be able to steal all 3 points. As a result I relaxed the formation slightly and started to focus play down the right flank, where their left midfielder was really starting to flag, we even started to press for an overlap and the chances were beginning to fall my way. That was until the 82nd minute when they punished us for my over-confidence and snatched the lead. After that we had to press on for an equaliser but that left even more gaps at the back and they quickly picked up a second. I was gutted, it was all my fault that we had thrown away a very valuable point and as far I was concerned blown any remote chances that we had in this group away. :mad:.

It was a very different story against Orlando Pirates and my team really surprised me with how well they played. Franck Kanga scored the opener after 57 minutes and we were looking comfortable. After 67 minutes I started to make the changes to the team to tighten the game up and secure the win, but only a minute after Atangana came on for Manuel Cabit on the left flank he dived into a scything tackle and was promptly sent off - an absolute nightmare, had he blown our chances! We changed to a rigid 4-4-1 formation and forced them to try to break through our 2 blocks of 4, whilst threatening on the counter-attack, and it was on one of these counter attacks where Kanga was fouled in the box allowing Duplex Kamga to step up and MISS!! How many chances did we want to give away to win this game! In the closing minutes they piled forward and had opportunity after opportunity, but only once managed to find the target, which hero of the day Tchapda just managed to tip above the cross bar - giving us a very pleasing but unexpected 3 points!

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures1.png

Standings after 2 matches:

1. Al-Ahly 6 points

2. TP Mazembe 3 points

3. Bamboutos 3 points

4. Orlando Pirates 0 points

Congrats on beating the Pirates!!

They are not doing to well, eh?

They were beaten 3-0 at home by Al-Ahly, who are the group favourites, but 0 points out of 6 doesn't give them much chance of progressing through the group.

Ahhhhhh! This was one of those games that just absolutely makes me love Football Manager!!

Against a team who absolutely outclassed us on paper, the game started on exactly those lines with several chances to Al-Ahly as they dominated play and when they eventually took the lead on 27 minutes I was trying to work out what I needed to do to limit the damage and prevent this turning into a cricket score. As the first half went on Al-Ahly continued to dominate but they couldn't grab the second goal that their play deserved.

So with half time fast approaching, I was putting the finishing touches to my rousing half time speech along the lines of, we're not going to win this, but let's keep it respectable, when we had our first real attack of the game up the right hand flank, crossed in from the by-line and they managed to put it in to their own goal.

Both I and the Al-Ahly manager had to tear up our half time team talks and as we emerged for the second half it was clear that my team were the most energised - our second main attack of the game and Wamfor passed through the Egyptian defence, but Kanga's first touch was poor, straight at their goalie......but wait, their goalie's fumbled it and Kanga walks it into the back of the net - we're in the lead and Al-Ahly are completely rattled!!

3 minutes later and we've made it a 3-1 lead and we're in ecstasy with Maffon's first goal for the club!

Despite going down to 10 men in the 64th minute after an injury after they'd already made all 3 substitutes, Al-Ahly rallied and started to throw everything at us, moving to a 4-1-4 formation and in the 80th minute they snatched one back - could we hold on for the last 10 minutes?

Hold on we did, but it was a real backs to the wall job and Tchapda made 2 outstanding fingertip saves in the last minutes to give us all 3 points and put us joint top of the group!

Al-AhlyvBamboutosInformation_Overview.png

Elsewhere, Orlando Pirates beat TP Mazembe so the table looked as follows:

1. Al-Ahly 6 points

2. Bamboutos 6 points

3. TP Mazembe 3 points

4. Orlandop Pirates 3 points

If we manage to beat TP Mazembe at home in our next game then we'll have a great chance of making it through to the semi finals!

cafchampionsleague.png

In the next match, we really had the opportunity to cement our place in the top 2 and start to dream of the semi-finals. A victory at home against TP Mazembe would be challenging, but not impossible - and if I picked up 3 points and presuming that Al-Ahly beat Orlando Pirates I would be 6 points clear with 2 games to play.

Unfortunately that wasn't to be, whether it was the pressure of playing in front of a home crowd against a team where the fans expected us to get a result I don't know, but once again TP Mazembe got the better of us and it was the Congolese team who had a flight home to look forward to with 3 points in the bag. They also leap-frogged ahead of us in the table thanks to a better goal difference but also on the basis of the head-to-head status of the two teams - I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us!

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-12.png

Back in the league we were having an acceptable if unremarkable start to the season. We slipped up against Union Douala, allowing them back into the game having taken an early 2-0 lead, and we were very poor in the Mont Cameroun fixture on the back of one of the Champions League fixtures. I had been concerned that this might have been the start of things to come, with tired legs affecting performances on the field, but normal service was returned in the away fixture to Tiko Utd where we once again terrorised their goalkeeper and scored 4 times from 6 shots on target to comfortably win what was otherwise a fairly tight and competitive fixture.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-3-5.png

cafchampionsleague.png

Going into the final 2 games of the Champions League group, the team were on a real low, they knew that their best chance of qualifying had been to beat TP Mazembe and they'd thrown this opportunity away. As a result we now needed 3 points away in South Africa against Orlando Pirates and then beat Al-Ahly or hope that Orlando Pirates beat TP Mazembe - it was looking unlikely.

However, we'd already had a number of shock results so far, nobody had expected us to pick up more than a couple of points and we already had 2 wins under our belts. In South Africa, fortune really favoured us and in what was an incredibly even match (50% possession, 14 shots each, 4 on target for Orlando Priates, 5 on target for us) we emerged the stronger as they're keeper conceeded 3 goals from 5 shots on target.

Therefore going into the final game, we still had a huge amount of hope, despite still being up against it. In the end our 1-0 win against Al-Ahly wasn't important, as Orland Pirates managed to beat TP Mazembe, but it was a very satisfying feeling to make it through to the semi-final on equal points with the 7 times Champions League winners having done the double over them!

We'd made it through to the semi-final where we were drawn against the Tunisian league champions ES Tunis (who beat Coton Sport 9-0 on aggregate in the final 2 seasons ago!!!). We had completely confounded all of our critics in the group stages - just how far could we go?

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-4-5.png

OrangeCAFChampionsLeagueOverview_Stages.png

The cup saw an opportunity for me to rest some tired legs in the first team and give our youth players a run-out. Not that it made much of a difference as we ran out comfortable winners against a poor non-league outfit.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-2-5.png

cafchampionsleague.png

These were 2 really top drawer, edge of your seat games of football that couldn't have gone much better. In a very similar vein to the win in the groups against Al Ahly the first leg away to ES Tunis was a very combative, but open match and importantly we came out on top with plenty of away goals to take back to Stade de la Mbouda. Once again 2 goals either side of half time were fundamental to disrupting ES Tunis' plans and putting them on the back foot - as a result ES Tunis realistically knew that they would have to win by 2 clear goals in order to progress to the final.

ESTunisvBamboutosInformation_Overview.png

In the return leg we got an early goal thanks to a Duplex Kamga penalty to settle the nerves, and despite a resilient fight back by ES Tunis which bought them within a single goal of taking the tie, we picked up that crucial second goal in the final minutes to confirm our place in the final!! In the other semi it was Al-Ahly who emerged victorious and therefore it was going to be a replay of the group games, where I had beaten them twice - surely now I was looking like the favourite to win the trophy!

BamboutosvESTunisInformation_Overview.png

cafchampionsleague.png

So, the big day had arrived (or days, given the final of the Champions League is somewhat unusually played over 2 legs) and surely it was fated that my team, the underdogs from Cameroon were to lift the trophy on the eve of my 200th game in charge? The whole of Cameroon were watching to see whether we could be the first Cameroonian team to lift the trophy since Canon had won twice in 3 years between 1978 and 1980.

PaulScholeyNews_Inbox-17.png

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a no contest as Al-Ahly dominated from the off and we were torn to shreds by ex Wigan and Hull City striker Amr Zaki.

Al-AhlyvBamboutosInformation_Overview.png

I can't say that I was surprised, but it hurt to lose in this way, with so few chances. Maybe just the one away goal might have given us a chance in the return leg, but it wasn't to be and in the end the second leg really was just an opportunity for the Al-Ahly players to relax and enjoy their limelight.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-5-4.png

To have come so far, and fallen at the last hurdle left a very bitter taste in the mouth, but we need to get ourselves back up and move onwards and upwards - we still have a domestic season to focus on!

In the league, after that initial minor blip, we were well on our way to establishing our title credentials for a 3rd season in a row with another good unbeaten run. 2 small hiccups along the way with an away draw to relegation threatened Aigle Royal who had parked the bus in front of their goal and caught us on the break to take the lead, before we equalised. Then a no score draw against 3rd placed Esparance Guider.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-2-7.png

EliteOneOverview_Stages-2-4.png

Tough beat in the Champions League, but Al-Ahly is a difficult team. Great to get to the finals!

I know, it was just so gutting that we'd already beaten them twice in the group! They went on to reach the final of the FIFA World Club Cup where there were only narrowly beaten 2-0 by Barcelona, so they clearly are a class act

I didn't manage it :(- the second leg was 1-1. Update in the same post as the 1st leg

Yeah I saw it. I was merely commenting that it was always going to be tough. I should probably have stated that :D.

The income from the Champions League continues to be re-invested as we announce an upgrade to our youth facilities - no matter what I do however, I don't seem to be able to convince the board to increase our training facilities?

PaulScholeyNews_Inbox-3-3.png

In the league we continue to dominate against all opponents who come up against us - we might not be as tight at the back as we have been in the past, but we are terrifying defences with the power of of our decimating attacks and both Franck Kanga and Charles Shikanda are scoring goals for fun.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-3-7.png

The game against Esperance Guider was out 11th straight win in the league (18 in all competitions) and we've been scoring at an average of about 3.5 goals per game over that period. It is perhaps unsurprising then, that with only 5 games left in the relatively short Cameroon season, we were confirmed as Champions for the 3rd season in a row!

PaulScholeyNews_Inbox-18.png

PaulScholeyNews_Inbox-2-5.png

EliteOneOverview_Stages-8.png

In the Cup we also continue to sweep past our opponents and score goals for fun - we've already broken our own goal scoring record even before we reach the final as we trounce Esperance Guider in the semi-finals. With the prospect of playing regional league side Roumde Adija in the final we have the opportunity to set down a record for goals scored in this competition which may stand for many, many years.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-14.png

Finally my significantly increased investment in our youth coaching pays off and I have an extremely exciting prospect coming through my youth sise, who will walk directly into my first team!

Joseph Njock (YP16) definitely looks good enough to be a future Cameroonian international player and I wonder if he will be good enough to eventually end up playing in one of the top sides in Europe - what do you think? For the time being I've tied him up to a long term 5 year contract and when it is the right time for him to move on I'll be looking for a 50% sell on clause!!!

BamboutosFCdeMboudaYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-3.png

cafchampionsleague.png

It's only been a couple of months since the disappointment of our final defeat against Al-Ahly, but already the new season of the CAF Champions League is upon us - luckily this means that I'm able to submit a new team sheet and register some of the players who had joined the club just a few days too late for the group and knock out stages last time around. As a result I'll be able to put the skills of Haj-Omar and Shikanda into use in the Champions League for the first time, just maybe that might be enough to go one stage further this time around?

The first round was the obligatory easy and straight forward win against one of the minnows from Africa - this time against Ocean View from Zanzibar, where we managed to run out some of my youth players and take a healthy, but moderate 4-0 aggregate win.

The second round saw much tougher opponents in the form of Nigerian league champions Heartland. Despite being the underdogs going into the match according to the media, I was fairly comfortable that on paper my team were the strongest and would emerge victorious - and in the home leg we did win, but only by a one goal margin. Luckily they didn't pick up an away goal, but whilst I had the advantage going into the second leg, the game was still finely balanced and there was much less in it than anticipated.....

Into the second leg away in Nigeria and the game was once again tighter than I had hoped for and Heartland put up a decent fight. The 15 minutes before half time turned out to be decisive, firstly in the 34th minute we took the lead via an own goal from a wicked Manuel Canit cross which the defender turned into his own net, but then in the 42 minute Emil Atangana went in two footed into a rash challenge (yet again!) and was shown a deserved red card. As it was, having the 2 goal lead and an away goal, we held on comfortably - I'm just greatful we'd got that one goal lead before the sending off!

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-5-5.png

The
has not been kind to us however, and we're going to do extremely well if we manage to qualify for the groups for a second consecutive season.

In the league, with the title already in the bag, complacency started to set in and we really started to struggle - most noticeably because the goals dried up from both Franck Kanga and Charles Shikanda - with nobody else pitching in we started to drop points left, right and centre.

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-6-4.png

In a normal season, considering we were playing teams in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th these probably would have been acceptable results and sufficient to push for the title anyway, but on the back of a 11 game winning run, they certainly felt like a disappointment.

However, at the end of the season the table still looked extremely impressive with a huge 15 point gap between us and second place. A great result for Brasseries as well who secured second place in only their first season back in the top flight - they are really impressing with their youth players, benefitting from a well established youth recruitment network.

EliteOneOverview_Stages-2-5.png

cafchampionsleague.png

As anticipated, the Egyptian champions were too strong for me. In the first leg we put up a fight, but as with my experiences against Al-Ahly only a few months ago, despite matching them in possession we lacked a cutting edge that they had in all to much abundance and they managed to create far more chances and execute them when they came. We managed to keep the scoreline respectable at 2-0, but without a miracle in the second leg we were crashing out of the Champions League without making it too the groups.

Miracles were, unfortunately in short supply, when the second leg arrived - that is unless you count a star performance from your goalkeeper which limited the damage to only 2 goals in a game in which we were completely outplayed in every position!!

BamboutosFCdeMboudaFixtures_Fixtures-4-5.png

As a result, we drop down into the
- my first time in this competition since Season 1! Given that all the Egyptian teams are still in the Champions League, the prospect of lifting this trophy is not a complete fantasy. My 3rd round draw could well have been easier and there are still some very good clubs in the draw, Sundowns and CS Sfax perhaps the most notable. Given the lack of challenge domestically in Cameroon, this might just be enough of a challenge to keep me around into next season????

brand.gif

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Review - 2016/17 - Bamboutos FC

Another great season domestically, where we've really started to exhibit our strength and dominance, winning the Elite One title by a clear 15 points and only losing 2 matches, a disappointing early defeat to Mont Cameroun when my focus was most definitely on the Champions League and then at the very end of the season a 2-0 loss to eventual league runners up Brasseries once the title was already mine.

In the cup we dominated from the off and scored goals for fun, picking up the record for most goals scored on the way to a 3rd consecutive title - in the final we ended up playing against regional league side Roumde Adija which just highlights the lack of effective domestic competition.

The obvious highlight of the season however was our fantastic run in the Champions League which eventually saw us fall at the final hurdle in defeat to Egyptian Champions Al-Ahly. I was however hugely proud of my players who had performed far, far above expectations.

Transfers

A number of very key transfers this season, most of whom arrived as a result of the increase in my scouting budget, with the board allowing my scouts to cover the whole world.

- Fred joined to provide effective competition to my main goalkeeper Tchapda, however he struggled to settle in Cameroon and went out on a brief loan spell, only to be recalled after a couple of games after Tchapda picked up an injury. Although he only played in a few matches, he shows promise and will be a key back up in the future.

- joined as a squad player in defence from fierce rivals Coton Sport on a free, but ended up one of my key central defenders. He had a great season, but we were unable to agree personal terms to keep him at the club next season. His departure will not be popular with the fans!

- Hassan had a good season and is a really exciting prospect for the future. He would have played more if not for his demanding international obligations with Syria.

- Theodule was the arrival that I was most excited about at the start of the season, but to be honest he has taken longer than I hoped to gel into the team. He has established himself as a regular squad player but has not set the world on light as I had hoped

- a late arrival to the team, joining us in mid December when I needed to bolster my midfied following a long term injury to Justice Wamfor. Some good performances however and a very exciting prospect for the future

Star Signing -
absolutely no doubt who picks up the award this year as it goes to
- there will be many a Cameroonian defender having nightmares about this boy during the off season as he picked up 15 goals in 22 starts. If only he had joined us in time to register for the Champions League

Finances

Now looking extremely healthy with more than £1m in the bank as a result of Champions League revenue and prize money. As a result we were able to complete the
and announce plans to

Squad

Player of the Season - a tough choice between my 2 front men, but
just pipped Charles Shikanda to the post for me, with some key goals in key Champions League games the difference between the 2 players.

Fan's Player of the Season
- the fans disagreed with me and handed the award to Shikanda

Next Season?

Definitely getting itchy feet now, do I stay for the push to the Confederations Cup or will something else come up?

Guangzhou! That would be an interesting move.

I've never managed in China before, so it is a tantalising prospect! It certainly meets my criteria of taking me to new and exciting parts of the footballing world

You've been mentioning potentially leaving before, so perhaps if you feel this is the time you should go.

I'll be leaving this season, it's just a question of whether or not I wait until after the Confederations Cup

Archived