Hi guys just wondering if any of you have had any luck creating a 5-3-2 sweeper ( Libero ) tactic similar to the German sides of the 1990 World Cup and Euro 96?

This is something that I have decided to try and do, but as I normally download other peoples tactics this is going to be interesting so any help that you guys can offer will be appreciated greatly.

The team I am going to test this with is Inter because they start the game with a natural sweeper ( Walter Samuel ).

The first role I am going to concentrate on is the Libero because I see that role is the main focal point of this formation.

I will keep this thread updated as I go through my journey.

The libero in itself is tough to recreate, the ME doesn't allow him to step into the midfield as you'ld expect him to. I've build a lot of 532/352 tactics in lower leagues (Faroe Islands mostly) with great succes. Don't expect your wing backs to do a good job attacking either. So it would be a defensive tactic with 5 defensive players.

I didn't use a sweeper, but I had great success with Udinese using a 5-3-2 Wing Back system. With the original squad and no transfers I won the Scudetto in my first season. The WB's were fine and they gave sufficient width and attacking support. I also had a legendary defence, the meanest in the league. We conceded only 6 goals by February of 2012, and I believe 18 over the whole season(in Serie A- we had a dire European campaign). Our defence was infact the only reason we won the league, because I found it nearly impossible to get much fluidity from my attacks. We had many 1-0/0-0 results, which is stereotypically Italian I suppose. Di Natale took along time to start scoring but ended up with 18 league goals.

Now, as I said, attacking-wise it as very lacking. But if you have the players to utilise counter attacks then it's a great tactic, the best of both worlds imo. I chose this tactic because at Udi we have some very good wing-backs, but no out and out wingers apart from Torje. And also, I did go the whole season with my original squad, which is not blessed with good enough forward players with pace, or creative midfielders. So I found there was some static between midfield and attack. I'm sure had I gone on into the second season and bought the required players(Dos Santos and Siggurdson were about to be bought) then this would have improved.

I've used a 5-3-2 Wingback formation in the past as well. I used B2B, AP attack, and BWM defend as the midfield and it works pretty well. If you've got the personnel a Complete Forward on support paired with a Poacher worked pretty well for me. If you don't have a forward capable of playing the Complete role, a DLF will also work quite well.

I was not able to get this formation working the way I wanted it to. I managed to get the sweeper more advanced than the 2 CB's when we were in position, but the ME wouldn't allow me to get him as far forward as I wanted.

He was making 40-50 passes a game and the wing backs were getting forward to support the attack, but the play in the final 3rd was non existent which meant games were always 1-0, 0-0 or 0-1 which is not what I had in my mind when I set out to create this tactic.

If I was allowed 2 playmakers this formation I think would work but as you can only select 1 I could manage it.

I was not able to get this formation working the way I wanted it to. I managed to get the sweeper more advanced than the 2 CB's when we were in position, but the ME wouldn't allow me to get him as far forward as I wanted.

He was making 40-50 passes a game and the wing backs were getting forward to support the attack, but the play in the final 3rd was non existent which meant games were always 1-0, 0-0 or 0-1 which is not what I had in my mind when I set out to create this tactic.

If I was allowed 2 playmakers this formation I think would work but as you can only select 1 I could manage it.

What do you mean you can only select one? You could try having a trequarista upfront, and a DLP.

Archived