How Long Before My Players Respect Me?

I'm managing Arsenal, I'm into March of my second season. I took over as an unknown manager. Last year we finished 2nd in the Premier League, and lost in the CL final to R. Madrid. This year we're in first and are rolling through the FA Cup and CL. Still, every game my AM tells me that a number of my players are struggling to motivate themselves to play for me.

What else do I have to do here? Do they miss Wenger that much? It doesn't seem to be affecting my team's performance on the pitch, but how good could they be if they were motivated to play for me?

Might just be the players, I came into Man City as an unknown and won the EPL and lost in the finals of the CL also to Real Madrid (Their f'n stacked) and I have no respect problems... Hell they love me enough not to care that I'm verbally abusing one of my lead ST to try and get him to accept a mutual termination.

If you start as a unknown manager it's always been a problem when trying to manage a big side. Could you see Joe Bloggs from Doncaster getting the job at Arsenal in real life? I certainly couldn't. Therefore because you are unknown, alot of the players don't believe you have the required level of skill/ability to manage Arsenal and as Ryknow has said, it may take a few years for them to motivate themselves to play under you.

Archived