Passing & Creativity stats

If one of my players has high stats for Passing am I limiting his effectiveness by setting his passing to short. Would his stats allow him to pick the right pass if I set them to mixed. By the same process should I set players with high creativity stats more creative freedom

Picking the right pass would depend on more attributes than just passing (anticipation, decisions, creativity). If he is good in those areas it could be beneficial to set his passing to more direct (if it fits your tactics).

Players with a high creativity stat will "see" more possible actions in a match. A low creativity player will only "see" a backpass to the defense while a high creativity player will "see" a fantastic through ball allowing your striker to score (very basic example of course).

Creative freedom dictates to what extent a player can do his own thing, regardless of your tactics.

So if you have a player with high creativity I would allow him to pass more direct, he will be more adept at creating chances. Passing would be a great help here of course, but without creativity he will not "see" the pass.

You can give more creative freedom to players that are not only creative, but also have high anticipation, decisions, off the ball. They will now when it is better to move away from the standard tactical instructions.

So, in short, never judge by just one attribute.

Creative Freedom is only partly linked to Creativity.

Creativity in a literal sense is "Vision", the ability to see a pass option.

Creativity = amount of passing options available

Decisions + Mentality + Creative Freedom + Flair + Passing + Throughballs = which passing option he takes

Passing + Technique = how well the pass is made

I've been matching the sliders up to the players stats as an experiment. So if their passing is 13 I'd have his passing set on the 13th notch. If his creativity 15, creative freedom on 15th notch.....and so on. It seems to work pretty well.

I would match Creative Freedom to Flair, Creativity, Technique and Decisions if I were you.

Passing Style you could match with Passing. But then you're effectively telling all your good passers to play long passes often, which isn't necessarily the best tactical move.

I see what you're saying, but the way i see it is, if they're great at passing and I'm matching the passing to the slider, all I'm doing is encouraging him to be more direct and pick out the perfect pass when the opportunity comes. I've got Huddlestone on notch 19, but after watching highlights he only plays long when he sees the opportunity.

I've been matching the sliders up to the players stats as an experiment. So if their passing is 13 I'd have his passing set on the 13th notch. If his creativity 15, creative freedom on 15th notch.....and so on. It seems to work pretty well.

Creative freedom isn't really related to Creativity but the key attribute is Decisions imo

So if you had Xavi and Iniesta, you'd tell them to hoof it up (passing 20 = long)? The passing length modifier affects both the preferred direction and length of the pass. I don't think an awful passer in lower-leagues should play a very short passing game nor do I think an average player should be given freedom to choose what pass to take.

I think the most intelligent and best passers in your team should be on mixed (10) passing. This is the case with ball-playing defender, trequartista and other roles that are meant for able, technically sound players. It gives them freedom and requires them to recognize the best option.

I don't believe in creating a tactic that suit the players and especially to each individual. It hardly every works and usually get a team of individuals. It is usually best to choose an overall tactic that will match club reputation, the players available and the style you want to play (but you may be limited to players). The passing length will then be correct for the tactics and then fit the players to the positions.

The creative player position will want a longer passing range to have more choices BUT the player will not make the right choice unless they have flair and decisions.

When I set up the passing distance of a poor passing player, I have to consider what part of the pitch he'll be working in and who he may have nearby that he could offload the ball to. A dodgy passing centre back needs to be hoofing it away, not risking losing possession in a dangerous area. However, a poor passing forward should be looking to pass short to a nearby attacking midfielder or his strike partner (if he has one), rather than ambitious passes to marauding wingers.

I've decided to upload some screenshots to prove how well my experiment has done.

A little history first.... I started with Ipswich and struggled for the first two seasons finishing in 10th and 5th place, the second season losing in in the play off final to Leicester.

In the third season I applied the 'experiment' to each player (matching passing stats to the passing slider, creativy stats to the creative freedom slider, and finally for closing down I matched it to the players stamina.). With this I played global mentality set on Attacking (2nd notch), 5th notch for width (wide) and time wasting on rarely. Obviously at this point I'm on Classic tactic setting and not using the TC.

My main focus has always been to look at the passes completed stat on on the statistics screen. If I feel I'm underperforming I will adjust the width, or tempo, but not the mentality. Unless I'm winning and want to protect the lead.

Using the 'matching experiment' I managed to get promoted with no money spent, scoring over a 100 goals. Once I was promoted I was offered the Spurs job after Harry left. I took it after much thought. I decided to apply the same formula, of which led to unbelievable results......

league2z.jpg

To show an example of an execeptional player with this 'experiment'..... Luka Modric.

modricstats.jpg

I must say at this point i've played Modric in the AMC position all season, but he's playing MC in this screenshot because of injuries.

Player instructions....

minstructs.jpg

And finally my last list of results to show I won the League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League and the Premier League with Spurs in my first season...

resultsbx.jpg

Fare enough I have a good squad, but I obviously overachieved with Ipswich, judging on their league position after I left. I've never achieved anthing like this scale in my first season with a team before, winning the quadruple. Give it a go seriously guys. If you're running out of ideas obviously....

Archived