High Defensive Line = Suicide

Any body else come to the conclusion that any advantages of a high defensive line are far outweighed by the disadvantages of having balls lumped in behind your defence for pacey strikers to run onto and score simple goals??

Maybe its because i'm in the Blue Square or something?

(p.s. are most centre backs really that slow?)

Any body else come to the conclusion that any advantages of a high defensive line are far outweighed by the disadvantages of having balls lumped in behind your defence for pacey strikers to run onto and score simple goals??

Maybe its because i'm in the Blue Square or something?

it all depends on the opposition, if you were playing Aston Villa in the prem for example with Gabby and Bent up top then you need to drop the defence back because they are both quick, but if your playing against two slow strikers then push up and maybe play a sweeper keeper/cover defender to mop up and balls that do go over.

Hope thats been of some help

The ME hasn't changed from FM11 to FM 12, and in FM11 i played a very high D-line to very good effect. I had DCs who were quicker than most forwards.

Current;y in my FM12 save in the BSN my defenders and slow and stupid, so I have to compensate by sitting deep. It's simply horses for courses.

The ME hasn't changed from FM11 to FM 12, and in FM11 i played a very high D-line to very good effect. I had DCs who were quicker than most forwards.

Current;y in my FM12 save in the BSN my defenders and slow and stupid, so I have to compensate by sitting deep. It's simply horses for courses.

Terrible to play against say, Agbonlahor with a high defensive line. Anyway, OP, I don't see the big deal in playing with a deep defensive line, as long as you make sure that the defensive can connect their passes to the midfield.

You've got to think of your tactics as you would in real life, not as how to outsmart the AI.

In the lower leagues defenders (and most players) are slower in the head; that's why I said mine are slow and stupid. Concentration, decisions, positioning are as important as pace and acceleration.

You've got to think of your tactics as you would in real life, not as how to outsmart the AI.

In the lower leagues defenders (and most players) are slower in the head; that's why I said mine are slow and stupid. Concentration, decisions, positioning are as important as pace and acceleration.

Very true that, although a little bit of pace does help. You can still defend well with Slow and stupid defenders just have to spoon feed them, the 'smarter' the player the less input needed from you, whereas 'stupid' defenders need to be told where to be i.e push up drop back get stuck in etc etc. well thats how i see it anyway

When I want to attack a weaker side and win the ball back as soon as possible a high defensive line with aids the pressing throughout the side and there is also less room for the team to play the ball in.

But it also depends on your own players for the level your playing in, can they keep up with a quick striker. Mentally will they position themselves in the correct positions not to be drawn out. Is your midfield/attack getting hold of the ball before your defence has to move.

I play a high line with my Dortmund side, but I haven't really got much pace at the back. I was playing HSV and there 442 last night and was playing really well 3-0 up when they brought on a pacey winger that was terrorising my full back (both my full backs are rubbish) so that forced me to start dropping back a bit to keep up with him. It's all a matter of context.

A high defensive line is usually used inconjuntion with high pressing and off side trap. I guess the theory is that the opposing player does not have time on the ball to provide a good enough through ball. A long pass from the back should be dealt with the tall central defenders or the keeper. The offside trap catches the rest.

Well thats the theory, ofcourse if the players are ill-suited for the task then you provide the striker with an easier finish.

I adjust defensive line based on how direct the opponent plays.

If the opponent plays long balls because of playing style or lack of creativity, they won't take full advantage of the midfield area so I can safely use they shout 'drop deeper'. If they constantly make long balls and defenders are located high up the pitch, I will gift possession to them since we all know that in FM even the best defenders can't handle those situations too well and they'll be gifting away possession.

If they play short passing game, I push up and try to suffocate their midfielders of space and use 'push higher up'.

I imagine most lower league teams play a direct game so pushing up just leaves more space behind and that's the space they want to exploit.

I adjust defensive line based on how direct the opponent plays.

If the opponent plays long balls because of playing style or lack of creativity, they won't take full advantage of the midfield area so I can safely use they shout 'drop deeper'. If they constantly make long balls and defenders are located high up the pitch, I will gift possession to them since we all know that in FM even the best defenders can't handle those situations too well and they'll be gifting away possession.

If they play short passing game, I push up and try to suffocate their midfielders of space and use 'push higher up'.

I imagine most lower league teams play a direct game so pushing up just leaves more space behind and that's the space they want to exploit.

very similar to how I play but as I said in an earlier post I also look at the pace of there defenders. they might be playing a short passing game and you to push up for them to change tactic and lob one over the top. I also check all the subs attributes to watch for them bringing on an insanely fast winger/striker, can really cause problems. But playing against someone like Stoke who dont have much pace up front, if we don't count Jerome then have to push up (I like pacy defenders). I find problems come when you have one insanely pacy stiker and one who is good technically. Usually then I just pray that my keeper is on form

The length of the pitch should be taken into account thus. In general when playing on a long pitch, have your team on 'push up'. On a short pitch, have them on 'drop back' or 'play deeper'. You need to play deeper because as the pitch is shorter, your defenders don't have much time in which to catch any fast attackers. On a long pitch your defenders will have more time in which to catch the fast attackers. Hope this helps.

oescus shouldn't it be the other way round? When your pushing up on a long pitch there's a lot of space between your keeper and your d-line which fast strikers can exploit. On a short pitch there's obviously much less space on which pace can gain an advantage over the slower defenders

Archived