CSI: Portsmouth 2012

Sheer Class

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My game isn't going that well, about 8th after 10 games. I create loads of clear cut chances and my players miss, so I might switch to 4-4-2. Huseklepp is out for 5 months as well with a broken foot. Got Ropotan (£600k), Arsimendi (Loan), Frimpong (Loan), Stephen Jordan (Free), Stuart Parnaby (Free) and Timo Hilderbrand (Free).
Nice get in Hilderbrand. I spotted him too late but am happy with Forsyth

Best advice I can give on that side is use your scouts heavily......I have my 6 doing the 6 areas of Europe and will scout as much as possible. most of my checks are rubbish but occasionally I do hit a diamond like Raman. Hoping to get more access to go outside Europe after January if I am still riding high.

UPDATE - 1st Febuary 2012

League Position:

After a great first half season and Huseklepp banging in the goals (before he got injured for 3 months a few weeks back), we're sitting pretty in 2nd just behind the leaders Reading.

e9yrmv.png

Transfers:

I kept with the original team up until January, then bought some good loan deals in. Especially Macheda and Gueye, I know it's still early but they're already doing the business with them both scoring on their debuts.

2ep0gp3.png

Future Transfers:

Somehow I managed to get Sanogo to sign on a free. With him declining offers from Arsenal, Chelsea and City!

Unfortuantly though, Ben-Haim has agreed terms with Malaga and will be leaving on a free at the end of the season. He was asking for £49k a week. Sorry but there was no way he was going to get that, so I had to say goodbye.

168ampk.png

Formation:

I play with a rigid wide attacking 4-2-2-2. It seems to do the trick with the players we have.

2cs880l.png

If I remember correctly, it's:

- 1st team.

- 120k signing fee.

- 120k agent fee.

- 11k a week.

- 5k appearance bonus.

- 2k goal bonus.

- 10% a year pay rise (which I hate, but grudgingly allow to players asking under 30k).

- 10% profit of next sale (which shouldn't be a problem yet and will hopefully get removed in a future contract, but he just wouldn't budge without it at the moment).

Yeah, I'm really starting to like this formation. I do have two other ones, a defensive narrow version and an attacking 4-4-1-1. But I've definately had the most success with this one so far :)

Yeah I couldn't believe my luck when I got the news item saying he had agreed with Pompey :D

Press Alt+F9 and the screenshots will be auto placed to this path: Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\screenshots

Upload them to a file hosting website like http://tinypic.com/ or http://photobucket.com/

Then copy and paste the url with the tags around it onto here :thup:

also what do you guys think of sam magri and ryan williams?

to my eyes neither really look all that impressive

They will come good. I got great stuff out of Williams in FM11 and many did well with Magri.

Get them out on loan first season while we have no reserve team fixtures.

UPDATE - 14th Febuary 2012

I know it's still early, but it looks like it will be me and Reading battling it out for 1st spot. I still have one game in hand over them, then this beaut of a fixture comes up next.

hvduz6.jpg

League Table:

It's looking good so far, I just hope we can keep it up. But it will be alot harder now that we have Macheda out for 7 weeks. While Benjani is still out for 3 months and the god like Huseklepp still has another 6 weeks working with the physio. Futacs will have to follow on his pre-christmas good form of 9 goals in his past 16 games.

2qtuvzr.jpg

I haven't had the chance to play Magri yet as he is always injured, but scouts rate him high.

Williams on the other hand has just scored his 1st goal for the club! A late equaliser against Boro in the FA Cup, taking us to a replay at the Riverside :D

Saying that, he has started 7 league and 4 cup games previous to that, without an assist or goal though.

UPDATE - End Of Season Reveiw 11/12

League Table:

Even after the most injury prone season I've ever had, we managed to finish 6 points behind league winners Reading.

33z9ope.jpg

Squad:

245hg5w.png

Club Record:

Football legend Rivaldo making history at Pompey! This goal also secured us promotion to the Premier League.

148dklc.png

Notes:

Looking forward to another stint in the Premier League, but there will have to be some drastic changes made to the squad.

At the moment, all I can see is Huseklepp, Halford, Mokoena and Lawrence staying anywhere near the 1st team.

Aslong as we finish 17th or higher, I'll be a happy man :D

September Update:

Championship vs Hull City at The Circle

Hull City 2 - 4 Portsmouth (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Portsmouth saw them run out 4 - 2 winners over Hull City at The Circle. A brace from Liam Lawrence helped Portsmouth to victory.

Things did not get off to a good start for Hull City as winger Gai Assulin seized on an error by Liam Rosenior to score a fluke goal. Striker Aaron McLean then equalised for Hull City in the 19th minute with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

An error from Hull City's Paul McKenna allowed Portsmouth captain Liam Lawrence to score an effort which was deflected on its way in. Huseklepp scored with a close range header in the 70th minute to extend the lead further.

Hull City's Mustapha Sama received the red card for a professional foul with 83 minutes on the clock. When Sama gave away a penalty, Lawrence confidently stepped up to score from the spot. Slovenia captain Robert Koren pulled one back for Hull City after 91 minutes with a well struck effort from the edge of the box.

Portsmouth have notched up six straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 23,534

[video=youtube_share;W6VEEFZHOuk]

Championship vs Watford at Fratton Park:

Portsmouth 1 - 1 Watford (npower Championship)

Portsmouth were held to a draw by Watford in a close-fought npower Championship match played at Fratton Park.

Striker Fatos Beciraj gave Portsmouth the lead with a tidy finish in the 61st minute. With time rapidly running out however, experienced centre-back Martin Taylor then scored a fine header from point-blank range to equalise for Watford.

Better late than never for Watford and the fans were clearly delighted with Taylor's impact. Then followed controversy as Watford were denied claims by midfielder Prince Buaben for a penalty.

Portsmouth are currently on a seven match unbeaten run and the promotion contenders are enjoying 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Hayden Mullins (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 17,743

[video=youtube_share;EeVqKoV_l4s]

This hurt a lot :(

League Cup 3rd Round vs Chelsea at Fratton Park:

Portsmouth 2 - 3 Chelsea (League Cup 3rd Rnd)

In an unexpectedly even encounter, Chelsea overcame Portsmouth to grab a narrow 3 - 2 victory.

Centre-back Tal Ben-Haim suffered the ignominy of scoring a calamitous own goal with 8 minutes on the clock. Striker Daniel Sturridge doubled Chelsea's lead with a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 54 minutes.

Winger Erik Huseklepp gave the Portsmouth fans a glimmer of hope after 78 minutes with a well timed close range finish. Huseklepp equalised for Portsmouth in the 86th minute with a tap-in.

Better late than never for Portsmouth and the fans were clearly delighted with Huseklepp's impact. Portsmouth were nearly gifted a goal on 90 minutes through Rohan Ince's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Tireless midfielder Ramires then clinched a late winner on 91 minutes with a well timed finish from close range. Ramires' impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Man of the Match: Erik Huseklepp (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 21,178

[video=youtube_share;ohf5PGfaXCs]

Championship vs Burnley at Fratton Park:

Portsmouth 4 - 0 Burnley (npower Championship)

The final score of 4 - 0 didn't flatter Portsmouth as they totally controlled their npower Championship game against Burnley at Fratton Park. A brace from Fatos Beciraj helped Portsmouth to victory.

Striker Giorgos Samaras gave Portsmouth the lead with a close range diving header in the 29th minute. An error from Burnley's Brian Jensen allowed winger Erik Huseklepp to score a placed shot. Beciraj scored with a real poacher's effort in the 84th minute to extend the lead further.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 89 minutes as that man Beciraj popped up again with a tidy finish.

Portsmouth are currently on an eight match unbeaten run and the promotion contenders are enjoying 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Fatos Beciraj (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 17,154

[video=youtube_share;d_fHpBLqxY8]

Championship vs Cardiff City at Cardiff City Stadium:

Cardiff City 0 - 1 Portsmouth (npower Championship)

Portsmouth battled to a deserved 1 - 0 victory over Cardiff City on a fine summer's evening in their npower Championship game at Cardiff City Stadium.

Portsmouth finally took the lead when experienced centre-back Ricardo Rocha scored a close range header on 72 minutes. Cardiff City's Ben Turner received the red card for a professional foul with 82 minutes on the clock.

Portsmouth were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Portsmouth are currently on a nine match unbeaten run and the promotion contenders are enjoying 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Ricardo Rocha (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 18,096

[video=youtube_share;Gkb9pEfT-Fo]

Just finished my season finished 1st.

CAD784FA94719C2810DD4335D22214A95CAE3A2D

Reading smashed the goals scored.

Liam Lawrence was amazing, probably my best player:

FD38F2CB4D0B778A2489ED66711F5DC385E0C983

Transfers for the season:

3C9FB830F627BBA51A84DC9BDE984CE20C12D892

Got Billy Sharp comming in at the end of the season for £950k, he scored 29 goals for Doncaster so hopefuly he can make the step up but he can't be any worse than Benjani, Kitson and Kanu.

Do my pictures show up alright, never tried directly linking pictures on a forum directly from my Steam profile.

I just started a new Pompey game so wish me luck.

Going with a 4-3-3 - Flat back 4, DM, 2x MC, AMR/AML, SC

My signings:

Carlos Lazaro DM/MC £1m

Jose Baxter AM R/SC Loan

Sascha Kotysch D RC/DM £130k

Diego Valeri M RLC/AM C £2.6m

Maximilian Haas D RC/DM Free

Mahamadou Sidibe G Free

Stephen Jordan DL Free

Geremi Ndjitap D R/DM/M RC/ Free

Josh Wright DM/M C Free

Alex McCarthy G £1.2m

Andros Townsend M/AM L Loan

Out:

Hayden Mullins £650k

Dave Kitson Loan £140k fee + 50% wages

Only let them go to reduce the wage bill, and might let Ben Haim go for the same reason if the rest do OK.

At 1st Dec 2011 and am 2nd after 19 games

Playing an offset 442 with Varney as AML

Signings are:

Choubani, Sofiane - 100k

Andersen, Lucas - 850k

Jakubko, Martin - 425k has 20 goals from 20 games (only bought him because Benjani got a long tem injury pre-season)

Modise, Teko - 200k

Ferrari, Matteo - Free (Tal ben-haim released)

Wright, Josh - Free

Parnaby, Stuart - Free

Pernis, Dusan - 725k (board arnnged transfer)

Total Spent = 2.3m

Out

Tal Ben Haim - Free

Formation when fit

Pernis

Halford Ferrari Rocha Hreidasson

Lawrence Modise Mullins

Varney

Huseklepp Jakubko

Table as is

1st Blackpool

2nd Pompey

3rd West Ham

4th Cardiff

9th Southampton

12th Brighton

Cheers, I think I'll need it after an uninspiring league start - 16th after 4 games, with 1 win, 1 draw 2 defeats:( although in the LC 3rd round. Blackburn offered £525k for Ben Haim so I let him go to save on wages - currently about 90k under budget. Spent some of the money on young Swedish Striker Agon Mehmedi for 250k who looks decent for the future.

I seem to do better away, but then I can never decide on a pitch size - in a two player game with a mate, I got sacked from pompey so hopefully this'll go better.

UPDATE - End Of Season Reveiw 12/13

Summary:

Well after this season, I'm not sure to be ecstatic or cry by thinking the game is broke. I didn't tweak any of my three tatics, only bought players in to fill those positions. Yet we managed to finish 4th, yes 4th, that's not a typo. Plus win the League Cup with my second team! (well apart from the final, I put my strongest 11 out for that).

We didn't go crazy with the spending, I spent £11.75 million, which I don't think is unreasonable for a newly promoted team, especially as it helped bring in 22 new faces including loans. So I don't have world class players at all, yet they played like it far too much. Something just doesn't feel right by finishing 4th, It feels like I don't deserve it.

I'm going to carry on for a season or two though, maybe I'm just over reacting as I've read plenty of threads saying FM12 is far too easy.

League Table:

20h28e8.jpg

Transfers:

mtvvgz.jpg

Squad:

Liam Lawrence, David Goodwillie and Alberto Bueno just ripped teams apart.

242x506.jpg

Awards:

2hey3dc.png

October Update:

Championship vs Middlesbrough at The Riverside:

Middlesbrough 0 - 4 Portsmouth (npower Championship)

A close-fought game at The Riverside Stadium ended in a one-sided result as Portsmouth defeated Middlesbrough 4 - 0. A brace from Fatos Beciraj helped Portsmouth to victory.

Centre-back Tal Ben-Haim gave Portsmouth the lead with a thumping header in the 43rd minute. Winger Gai Assulin doubled Portsmouth's lead with a powerful effort on 45 minutes.

Beciraj scored with a fierce shot in the 67th minute to extend the lead further. Middlesbrough's Seb Hines received the red card for a professional foul with 75 minutes on the clock.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 78 minutes as that man Beciraj popped up again with a shot from the edge of the area.

Portsmouth have notched up three straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 17,229

[video=youtube_share;jXclpJ0Malc]

Championship vs Bristol City at Fratton Park:

Portsmouth 1 - 0 Bristol City (npower Championship)

Portsmouth battled to a deserved 1 - 0 victory over Bristol City on a fine autumn afternoon in their npower Championship game at Fratton Park.

Portsmouth finally took the lead when striker Giorgos Samaras scored a fierce shot on 52 minutes. Portsmouth also saw their 94th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Portsmouth have notched up four straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Damion Stewart (Bristol City)

Attendance: 18,861

[video=youtube_share;077Jfss-7ec]

Championship vs Ipswich Town at Portman Road:

Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Portsmouth (npower Championship)

Ipswich Town succumbed to a 3 - 0 loss in this evening's npower Championship clash at Portman Road. A brace from Fatos Beciraj helped Portsmouth to victory.

Striker Giorgos Samaras got Portsmouth off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish on 4 minutes. Striker Fatos Beciraj doubled Portsmouth's lead with a clever lob over the keeper from the edge of the area on 13 minutes.

Striker Michael Chopra then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Portsmouth another goal on 66 minutes. There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 93 minutes as that man Beciraj popped up again with a fierce shot.

Portsmouth have notched up five straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 16,189

[video=youtube_share;8t4G0466NGw]

Championship vs Birmingham City at Fratton Park:

Portsmouth 1 - 0 Birmingham City (npower Championship)

Portsmouth won a hard fought battle against Birmingham City on a fine autumn afternoon at Fratton Park.

Striker Fatos Beciraj gave Portsmouth the lead with a well struck effort in the 75th minute.

Portsmouth were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Portsmouth have notched up six straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Greg Halford (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 19,699

[video=youtube_share;f7AH0qlp4Vk]

Championship vs Coventry City at The Ricoh Arena:

Coventry City 1 - 4 Portsmouth (npower Championship)

A highly polished performance from the Portsmouth players saw their team run out 4 - 1 winners over Coventry City at The Ricoh Arena.

An error from Coventry City's Lukas Jutkiewicz allowed winger Gai Assulin to score a close range finish which was timed impeccably. Striker Fatos Beciraj doubled Portsmouth's lead with a close range effort on 24 minutes.

Samaras scored with a header in the 60th minute to extend the lead further. Centre-back Richard Wood pulled one back for Coventry City after 63 minutes with a close range header.

Centre-back Tal Ben-Haim completed the rout with a header on 69 minutes. Centre-back Martin Cranie then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Portsmouth another goal on 85 minutes.

Portsmouth have notched up seven straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Giorgos Samaras (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 15,080

[video=youtube_share;syvs7DNZ-B0]

Here is how the table stands at the end of October:

npowerChampionshipOverview_Stages-2.png

Despite being 7 points clear and unbeaten i am extremely nervous....I had a couple of tough games in October and had to adjust tactics vs Birmingham. I feel a fall is coming and dread the impact.

This is what is ahead for November. Including everyones favourite matchup on November 5th so expect fireworks there :D

pompeyfixtures.png

This guys made quite an impression already for me. Well worth the outlay i think.

FatosBecirajOverview_Attributes.png

Archived