Sacre bleu! It's the Ligue Une 08/09 thread! featuring much Lyon dominance

Orzelek

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

Of course that should be "Bordeaux will be two points behind Lyon".

And they are 2 points behind now icon_frown.gif

Did you see the goals of Bordeaux @ Marseille?

Marseille's goal's a fluke from Rame. Bordeaux' first is a beautiful FK by Wendel and the last one is a first timer from outside the box by Ducasse, all of them are worth a look if you get a chance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ducasse's strike was simply majestic, took it perfectly and with very little time left on the clock. If that's the goal that turns the season in Bordeaux's favour, it would be worthy of it.

Bizzare game though, Marseille missed far too many opportunities and i'm just surprised Niang didn't make a mess up of the open goal after Rame's keeper/sweeper antics finally got caught out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are PSG getting banned from 2008/09 Coupe de la Ligue?

how come? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really read this article but I assume the answer is here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's ridicolous icon_rolleyes.gif

IMO it's ok clubs gets banned coz of fighting with police and such things. But insulting the other clubs fans? What will be next- no singing at matches or so?

PSG keep up cup heroics to reach final

Paul Le Guen's Paris Saint-Germain FC are on course for a remarkable cup double after reaching the Coupe de France final with a 1-0 victory at second-division Amiens SC on Tuesday.

Cup of plenty

PSG will have the chance to add the Coupe to the French League Cup they won in March after Yannick Boli – nephew of former international Basile – scored the only goal of a semi-final hosted by their opponents. Le Guen's men, third from bottom in the French top flight with two games to play, will face either Olympique Lyonnais or CS Sedan-Ardennes, who meet on Wednesday, in the 24 May final at the Stade de France.

Boli breakthrough

The 20-year-old Boli came off the bench to score his first senior goal after 78 minutes of a tie largely dominated by an Amiens side sitting lower mid-table in Ligue 2. The strike, a neat finish following a one-two with Péguy Luyindula and then a devastating burst beyond two defenders, ended the underdogs' challenge just as PSG had seen off USJA Carquefou in the quarter-finals. "We deserve a bit of happiness," said PSG keeper Jérôme Alonzo, who made a fine stoppage-time save from former Paris striker Fabrice Fiorès. "Now we can celebrate for a couple of hours before thinking about the league again."

Juninho trademark sees off Sedan

Juninho Permanbucano scored a sublime free-kick two minutes from time to send Olympique Lyonnais into the Coupe de France final against Paris Saint-Germain FC later this month.

Long wait

Twenty-four hours after PSG overcame Amiens SC, Lyon also found the going tough against Ligue 2 opposition. Sedan were by no means overawed against their top-flight hosts and fashioned some promising opportunities of their own, while Lyon found Sedan goalkeeper Patrick Régnault in inspired form until Juninho's set-piece rendered him helpless. Lyon's final appearance on 24 May at the Stade de France will be their first in this competition since a 2-0 loss to Olympique de Marseille in 1975/76, while Les Gones have not lifted the trophy since 1973.

'Lucky'

"I was lucky tonight," said Juninho. "The French Cup is something the club has expected for a long time. I hope we can deliver a great game to PSG, a side used to great cup games." The lineup for the final also means the fifth-place finishers in Ligue 1 are likely to qualify for the UEFA Cup due to PSG's League Cup final victory in March

So the most winning club in the last years vs. the biggest joke in the last years in the final then icon_biggrin.gif

Nasri agrees new deal at Marseille

Samir Nasri and Olympique de Marseille have reached an agreement for a three-year contract extension from June 2009 to June 2012.

French international

Nasri, who will turn 21 during UEFA EURO 2008â„¢, has impressed again this season during 28 Ligue 1 appearances for his hometown club and in the UEFA Champions League. The France midfielder, who has won seven caps, signed his first professional deal with Marseille in 2004 and has gone on to score ten times in 119 league appearances for the club.

No way he'd be in France until 2012, but wp by Marseille to make him sign such a long contract icon14.gif

Week 37 is starting to look huge for all league spots.

Bordeaux should beat Sochaux at home leaving what could be a last day showdown, it would also leave Sochaux is trouble if other games go against them.

Lyon host Nancy. Nancy are trying to hold onto third place with Marseille waiting for a slip up. Lyon could tie up the title here if Bordeaux loose, I predict a draw just for the Nancy love.

Marseille are away to Le Mans, Marseille are looking for third and to distance themselves from St Etienne and Lille. Le Mans are praying for a miracle which would see them qualify for the Uefa Cup. Marseille to squeeze it.

PSG vs St. Etienne. Must win game for Paris who could jump a few places with a win (and with other results in their favour) and could mean the great escape. St. Etienne have been on a charge this second half of the season, one point ahead of Lille for the last Uefa Cup spot, need to keep Gomis firing. I think a draw.

Lille vs Lens. Northern rivals, Lille battling for a Uefa Cup spot, Lens battling for Ligue Une survival. This is a tough one, I'm going to way of a draw because I would like to see St. Etienne in Europe again.

Rennes vs Toulouse. Gignac has been a bust for Toulouse this season, not too sure they can score and one draw in the last five games could mean they're doomed. Rennes chasing fifth and should win if Leroy gets the ball in good positions.

Originally posted by Philip Rolfe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you make of Miralem Pjanić?

He's sensational, clearly off from Metz at the end of the season, just runs the show (as best he can for a terrible club). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and he is luxembourgish \o/ (well, sort of)

although he plays for the bosnia u21s he did play for the luxembourg u17s, first heard his name a couple of years back when played for them. apparently france are trying to get him naturalised as well although as far as i know he still lives in luxembourg and just commutes to metz so not sure how that would work, i could be wrong though.

he will be off to a very good team come the summer, half of europe seems to be interested in him.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Orzelek:

we don't want to see Lyon wining again this year

I do and I want to see a double! I would be gutted to lose the league now that we've been ahead for years and all season too. Big games on Saturday, I can't wait. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With "we" I meant most of people. Personally I have nothing against Lyon (actually they're one of the French clubs I like most), but it would seriously be nice with another team winning Ligue Une

Half Time scores

Bordeaux 1 - 0 Sochaux

(Obertan)

Le Mans 0 - 0 Marseille

Lille 1 - 0 Lens

(Cabaye)

Lyon 0 - 0 Nancy

Metz 1 - 1 Lorient

(Gueye) - (Saifi)

Monaco 0 - 0 Auxerre

Paris SG 0 - 1 Saint-Etienne

(Perrin)

Rennes 0 - 1 Toulouse

(Sireix)

Strasbourg 1 - 3 Caen

(Gamerio) - (Toudic, Dos Santos, Gouffran)

Valenciennes 0 - 0 Nice

Just as Bordeaux went two ahead, bugger.

Bordeaux 2 - 0 Sochaux

(Fernando, Chamakh)

Le Mans 0 - 0 Marseille

Lille 1 - 0 Lens

(Cabaye)

Lyon 1 - 0 Nancy

(MACALUSO o.g.)

Metz 1 - 1 Lorient

(Gueye) - (Saifi)

Monaco 1 - 0 Auxerre

(Bakar)

Paris SG 1 - 1 Saint-Etienne

(Clement) - (Perrin)

Rennes 1 - 1 Toulouse

(Pagis) - (Sireix)

Strasbourg 1 - 3 Caen

(Gamerio) - (Toudic, Dos Santos OG, Gouffran)

Valenciennes 0 - 2 Nice

(Ederson, Kone)

Originally posted by PMLF:

Lyon win their 7th title in a row then?

Nope. Bordeax won aswell, so it will be decided in the next (final) round. But it's looking really good for Lyon: they're 2 points ahead and have bettter goaldifference

In the last round Bordeaux will play against Lens while Lyon will play against Auxerre, who are already saved (AFAIK)

Originally posted by yovan:

Govou wasn’t offside. icon_mad.gif

Good thing we got 3 points anyway.

Very interesting last week of the season coming up at every level, for the title, the CL, the UEFA Cup since the 5th place is qualifying now that Lyon and PSG are in the Cup final and the relegation battle. I can't wait!

Well it looks like PSG are going to scrape through after all, especially as Lens host Bordeaux next weekend and I can't see them deciding the title by getting an unlikely win.

Lyon - Nancy last night in the first half was absolutely diabolical, very edgy. Wish Setanta had picked a different game to show, or was this the game being shown on Canal+ anyway?

I guess both television station would choose the Lyon game every time as they could have won the league last night, showing another game and then Lyon wining and having result go their way to win the league and no TV coverage of said scenario wouldn't look the best.

Next weekend should be amazing, I've got a party to go to but I'm considering leaving later, a whole lot later.

Usually in France for the last 2 games of the season Canal + has what they call a Multiplex, they pretty much have cameras in every stadium and they switch the one they're showing depending upon what's going on (goals, red cards...)

I don't know what happened with Setanta here but they weren't showing any game so I had to listen to them on the radio icon_frown.gif

Benzema and Blanc honoured by peers

Olympique Lyonnais striker Karim Benzema has rewarded for his fine season in front of goal with the French Players' Player of the Year award, while Laurent Blanc has been voted as best coach.

Profitable campaign

Benzema, 20, has scored 19 goals in 31 Ligue 1 appearances to put Lyon on the brink of their seventh title in as many seasons. He finished just ahead of Olympique de Marseille's Senegalese international Mamadou Niang – who trails Benzema by two goals in the scoring charts – team-mate Jérémy Toulalan and FC Girondins de Bordeaux winger Wendel.

'Strange feeling'

The France striker, who is the fourth Lyon player to receive the award in the last four seasons after Florent Malouda, Juninho Pernambucano and Michael Essien, said: "It's a strange feeling. This season has been a success for me thanks to my team-mates and also due to the fact that I've been injury-free. It's a nice trophy but now we have two others to clinch [French Cup and Ligue 1]."

First season

Blanc, meanwhile, has enjoyed a fine debut campaign at the helm of Bordeaux – the 42-year-old's first coaching job since retiring from playing in 2003. Having guided the Stade Chaban-Delmas club back into the UEFA Champions League next term, Bordeaux can still clinch the title if they win and Lyon lose in the final round of matches on Saturday.

Desrved win for both icon14.gif

Archived