FM08: Aston Villa Thread - Holte Enders In The Sky!

SkeeterP

Guest cwazy wabbit
Originally posted by spanksta:

Hi there, I am actually a Manu fan but I go to see villa games. As its boring playing as Utd I thought I would give villa ago.

Not too far into my first season but I just wanted you to see ho class Carew has turned out for me (hes hardly getting mentioned). I play him partnered with Huntelaar. Look at his game stats.

1.jpg

This is my team and positions (based on the Firoa2.tac)

2.jpg

Can not believe how well I have started. Fiora tactic is well worth a look. I slightly changed it and am doing great

3.jpg

where do i get this villa thred from plz!!!!!!!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cwazy wabbit
Originally posted by SkeeterP:

I'm shocked Small Heath has a thread, but there's nothing for the True pride of the Midlands!

k99b41.png

Aston Villa Football Club

how do i get the bagde on the bkground & profile pics 4 the vila players?

Formed: 1874

Ground: Villa Park (Capacity: 42,640)

Nicknames: The Villa / The Villans

Fierce Rivals: Birmingham City

Facts: Founding members of the Football League in 1888 and one of seven clubs to have played in every season of the Premier League since it's introduction in 1992.

The fourth most successful club in English football history, winning 21 major honours, and is one of only four English clubs to have won the European Cup, beating Bayen Munich 1-0 in 1982. Despite this record, Villa haven't won a major competition since winning the League Cup in 1996 (not counting the Inter-Toto cup which was won in 2001)

Villa Park is the most used stadium in FA-Cup Semi Final history, hosting 55 games.

Villa were the first team to adopt the now-famous Claret and Blue colours.

Chairman: Randolph Lerner (USA)

Financial Status: Rich

Finances: £78m

FM08 Transfer budget: "Top Half Finish" - £15.75m (wages £675k)

"Continental Qualification Through League Finish" - £21m (wages £775k)

"Title Challenge" - £23.5m (wages £800k)

"Winner" - £26m (wages £850k)

Squad:

1. Thomas Sorensen (GK)

2. Jordan Collins (D R)

3. Wilfred Bouma (D R)

4. Olof Mellberg (D R/C)

5. Martin Laursen (D C)

6. Gareth Barry (D/M L/C

7. Ashley Young (AM/F L/R/C)

8. Luke Moore (ST)

9. Marlon Harewood (ST)

10. John Carew (ST)

11. Gabriel Agbonlahor (ST)

12. Mustapha Salifou (AM R/C)

13. Stuart Taylor (GK)

14. Adam McGurk (AM/F C)

15. Curtis Davies** (D C)

16. Zat Knight (D C)

19. Stiliyan Petrov (AM C)

20. Nigel Reo-Coker (M C)

21. Scott Carson* (GK)

23. Patrik Berger (AM L/C)

26. Craig Gardner (M C)

27. Isiah Osbourne (M C)

28. Shaun Maloney (AM/F L/R/C)

29. Stephen O'Halloran (D L/C)

(Players marked with * are on loan, players marked with ** are on loan but transferring to the club at the end of the season).

Star Players are Club Captain and England International midfielder Gareth Barry, attacking powerhouse John Carew and explosive winger Ashley Young.

Despite assistant Manager John Robertson's optimistic outlook that Villa have a squad "that should be able to put in a strong challenge" for the Premiership, this young inexperienced team needs heavily strengthening to make a realistic push for the Top Six.

From the squad as it is, the first choice team selection would be (442):

2gsidu0.jpg

Defensively, the club has four solid centre-backs (Knight, Davies, Laursen, Mellberg), however with the squad only having one recognised Left Back (Bouma) and no recognised Right Backs (Mellberg doesn't cut it), serious investment is still needed.

Midfield is also a problem, with Gardner and Osbourne no where near ready to step up and provide any real cover for Reo-Coker and Barry in the middle, and despite his tremendous work rate and stamina, Petrov just doesn't have the attributes to stamp authority in a Premier League game. With Young and Maloney, there are two trememdous talents on the wings, but again there is a distinct lack of effective cover if anything were to happen to them.

Villa's attack is fast and young with Moore and Agbonlahor but there is only one experienced striker in John Carew. Marlon Harewood could be capable when implemented but there is still much room for improvement.

To conclude, a tough game but with the right additions to the squad you could be the man to bring the good times back to this underachieving Sleeping Giant of the Premier League.

Now go, and have fun!

Wow, I have problems.

Still first season, still summer. My problem is though.

Ingashevich turned me down.

Cassani turned me down.

Modric turned me down.

And I get the feeling Delgado will too, and so will Bellushi as Barca just went for Delgado and Benfica have just gone in for Bellushi.

So basically I have my great plan of how to improve my squad, but the only players I can actually sign are some young kids for a couple of years times.

So I need some new players. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Flair:

Wow, I have problems.

Still first season, still summer. My problem is though.

Ingashevich turned me down.

Cassani turned me down.

Modric turned me down.

And I get the feeling Delgado will too, and so will Bellushi as Barca just went for Delgado and Benfica have just gone in for Bellushi.

So basically I have my great plan of how to improve my squad, but the only players I can actually sign are some young kids for a couple of years times.

So I need some new players. Any ideas?

For rightback I got Ryan Taylor and Justin Hoyte, for AMC I got Matias Fernandez (4.5, 3.4 and 10million respectively.) Worth a look.

T.V.

Carew unhappy and wanted to leave so i built the offers up then just went for it - offered him for 17mill over 12months.

I couldn't believe it when Man City and Reading both bid it. I would have rather Carew gone to a foreign club as he is a v.good striker, but 17mill is 17mill and the board accepted in anyway.

Originally posted by D3AN:

Carew unhappy and wanted to leave so i built the offers up then just went for it - offered him for 17mill over 12months.

I couldn't believe it when Man City and Reading both bid it. I would have rather Carew gone to a foreign club as he is a v.good striker, but 17mill is 17mill and the board accepted in anyway.

Good haggling!! icon14.gif

T.V.

Originally posted by spanksta:

Anyone having probs with Reo-coker?

He keeps geting sent of for me. He then reports to me that he thinks he is being targeted by refs and now his status us unhappy.

What can I do?

In your Tactics screen try setting his tackling to Easy for a few games, will reduce his future red cards. As for him being unhappy, I think all you can do is just defend him in any media questions. Maybe check his Player Interaction screen - there might be some option relevant to his disciplinary record in there??

T.V.

Whats the deal with Davies being on loan for a season then joining? I thought Villa bought him. And why would you join on loan for a season even though you've already agreed a deal that isnt realistically cancellable.

It seem crazy and it kind of annoying too.

for those who have signed owen, for how many years did you guys offer a contract? no matter what i offer him, he always says that he can't accept the length of the contract.

so far i brought in: downing, bentley, sol campbell and defoe. no i'm hoping to bring in ryan taylor.

£10m way too much for Davies tbh, I terminated his loan because I had enough CBs and hope that he has a good year back at WBA.

Anyway, here is a screenie of my transfers from the first window. After spending so much I am in need of a good season to pull some prize money back in and justify the expenses.

Strange that my most expensive signing was a keeper considering some of the other players I signed, but Newcastle spent over £10.75m on a 30 y.o. keeper so compared to that I think I got a very good deal.

League table so far, really should be better off, but we've not been taking enough chances or had goals disallowed when we have but I'm hoping that will change once Owen comes in.

Alryt in January have 34mill to spend(from soem very good sales business icon_biggrin.gif)

Here's my team:

GK: Carson

RB: Ignashevich

CB: Miranda

CB: Davies

LB: Barry

RM: Young

CM: Reo-Coker

CM: Banega (absolutely amazing creative midfielder icon_biggrin.gif)

LM/AM: Fernandez(European Player of the year icon_biggrin.gif)

ST: Owen

ST Huntelaar

Any ways you think i can improve my team? I definately need a new right back but all the ones i've gone for so far have rejected me icon_frown.gif

also looking for a tough-tackling midfielder to partner Banega as Reo-Coker is good but not the best.

Cheers

Originally posted by D3AN:

Alryt in January have 34mill to spend(from soem very good sales business icon_biggrin.gif)

Here's my team:

GK: Carson

RB: Ignashevich

CB: Miranda

CB: Davies

LB: Barry

RM: Young

CM: Reo-Coker

CM: Banega (absolutely amazing creative midfielder icon_biggrin.gif)

LM/AM: Fernandez(European Player of the year icon_biggrin.gif)

ST: Owen

ST Huntelaar

Any ways you think i can improve my team? I definately need a new right back but all the ones i've gone for so far have rejected me icon_frown.gif

also looking for a tough-tackling midfielder to partner Banega as Reo-Coker is good but not the best.

Cheers

I went for Jagielka for my RB. Played 9 games for me so far and has got a 7 in every game.

Had to pay 7m for him though which was abit steep but I needed a RB and all the others I tried turned me down

Just finished my first season as my all British Villa squad. I sold all foreigners and brought in quality young British stars. Here is the league at the end of the first season: astonvillaleague1stseasjc9.jpg Here is my squad at the end of the 1st season:astonvillaendofseasonsqnq7.jpg NOTE:C.davies did play a lot of games in the season but because from his loan to West Brom and then came back to me on 1.6.08 his stats have been deleted.

hi

started as villa , im trying to sign ryan taylor of wigan for right back, and ever banega for a defensive player

im would like a flat 4-4-2 tatic.

just need to now where else needs to be strenghend, i would like modric but can he play as a central midfielder like fabregas?

also what would i do with reo-coker

cheers

hi

i will go into a bit more detail so scrap the above post.

started as villa

im playing as a flat 4-4-2 and my first team at present is:

carson

ryan taylor davies knight bouma

young petrov reo-coker barry

carew moore

transfers in: ryan taylor

transfers out: none at the momment

im trying to sign a defensive midfielder who will replace petrov, but im unsure where else i need strenghening i was thinking a right/left sided player who play on the right more and then use young as a sub late on to perhaps change the game if need be?

any help

cheers

Originally posted by gunnermitch:

hi

i will go into a bit more detail so scrap the above post.

started as villa

im playing as a flat 4-4-2 and my first team at present is:

carson

ryan taylor davies knight bouma

young petrov reo-coker barry

carew moore

transfers in: ryan taylor

transfers out: none at the momment

im trying to sign a defensive midfielder who will replace petrov, but im unsure where else i need strenghening i was thinking a right/left sided player who play on the right more and then use young as a sub late on to perhaps change the game if need be?

any help

cheers

I find Barry plays a lot better in the centre of midfield where he has more influence, since he isn't an out and out winger. Look for either a left or right winger, then play Young on the other wing (I signed Menez for £9.75m). Another leftback would be good as Bouma isn't amazing and you don't want to waste Barry playing in defence.

T.V.

hi

well ive spent all my budget now and i cant seem to flog anyone

ive signed ever banega , ryan taylor and Fernando Belluschi all seem good signings , i will leave barry on the left until ive got funds.

ive got a cople of questions-

1. what strikers should i use up front together out of carew,agbonlahor,moore and Harewood ?

2. also in defence who should i pair together and who should i sell as i find ive got to many central defenders?

cheers

hi

well ive spent all my budget now and i cant seem to flog anyone

ive signed ever banega , ryan taylor and Fernando Belluschi all seem good signings , i will leave barry on the left until ive got funds.

ive got a cople of questions-

1. what strikers should i use up front together out of carew,agbonlahor,moore and Harewood ?

2. also in defence who should i pair together and who should i sell as i find ive got to many central defenders?

cheers

Belluschi is fantastic for Villa. He just won the player of the year in my game.

Originally posted by ArcticMonkey:

Just finished my first season as my all British Villa squad. I sold all foreigners and brought in quality young British stars. Here is the league at the end of the first season: astonvillaleague1stseasjc9.jpg Here is my squad at the end of the 1st season:astonvillaendofseasonsqnq7.jpg NOTE:C.davies did play a lot of games in the season but because from his loan to West Brom and then came back to me on 1.6.08 his stats have been deleted.

just to note o'halloran and gtarvan ain't british theyre from the republic!

hi

who should my striker pairing be and defence pairing be?

cheers

Carew and Agbonlahor/Young

Owen and Defoe both available at the start for <£10m each and I've just seen Defoe go to Reading for <£4m in Jan without starting for Spurs.

Originally posted by Charliewright:

Could someone please tell me how to get the best out of Luke Moore i play him with Carew as target man (ball to head) But he seems abit rubbish.

How do i make him score?

Its easy. Sell him to another club and watch him bang ALOT of goals in icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by sean_oc16:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnermitch:

hi

who should my striker pairing be and defence pairing be?

cheers

Carew and Agbonlahor/Young

Owen and Defoe both available at the start for <£10m each and I've just seen Defoe go to Reading for <£4m in Jan without starting for Spurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so carew and abonlahor are the first choice?

at the minute im using moore and carew?

I've managed to reach summer as Villa, winning the Premier League and League Cup.

In the summer I signed Huntelaar and Craig Gordon (Carson was shocking for me, and Sunderland were relegated so I brough Gordon to where he should be).

I also signed Ferreira on a free from Chelsea, and a couple of youngsters I signed (A young version of il Makoun, and a young German AMC who looks really good for the future).

Now my teams looks like this:

GK: Gordon / Sorenson

RB: Ferreira / Hoyte

LB: Bouma (getting replaced in Jan) / Fortune

CB: Davies / Knight

CB: Mellberg / Laursen

CM: Makoun / Reo-Coker

CM: Barry

AML: Asatti

AMR: Young

AMC: Van Der Vaart / Maloney

ST: Huntelaar / Carew

My other extra players include:

Agbonlahor, Moore and Defoe (cost 2.7m in Jan window) as cover for the wide positions and upfront.

Gardner and Osbourne are my main backup in central midfield, but i'm currently looking at sending Osbourne on loan. Might have to ship him off, I have better players in that position and he's not advancing a great amount. Plus I have the two new youngsters (one is called Makin, can't remember the other one, he's from argentina, basically a young version of Makoun) who are looking good and will probably have a few games this season, probably with a few cup runs as well.

In defence Cahill is really the only backup. I still have five CBs and Knight isn't fond of being left out so often, so Cahill will have to go on loan until Knight's contract runs out.

So I beat Pompeii on penalties in Charity Shield, and won my first game away at Fulham 4-0 (Huntelaar hatrick and Maloney subersub goal).

Wigan at home next midweek, I normally find it tough beating them, but i'm hoping Defoe might be fit enough to start so Huntelaar can have a break and be fresh for the weekend game. No idea who I have in Champs League yet, hopefully not Valencia though, I could never beat them as Villa in FM07.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9872/villaij9.jpg

That is the formation I played only made two signings for my first team them being van der vaart and shorey. I have 10 - 15 youth team players for the future. I am actually a west brom fan but I fancied a change seeing as I get bored merking off the world as the super baggies.

Well I found out the teams i'm playing in the Champions League Group Stage: Inter Milan, Steaua Bucharest and HSV.

Beat Steaua 3-1 away, then HSV 3-2 at home. My defence is starting to let goals in at the moment, I might try Davies and Laursen at the back rather than Davies and Mellberg.

On a 13 all-competition game winning streak, the longest in the teams history. Huntelaar is scoring pretty much every game, Van Der Vaart every other.

Archived