Fuss's new tactial idea? Looking for your thoughts

Those of you that have used my tactis know that I only ever work with some variation of a 4-4-2.

Well time to break with tradition, since 11.3 it seems more and moore that 4-4-2 is dead and that one striker is the way to go.

So that lead to the following idea, still in early development.

idea1.jpg

A single fast striker up front

Behind him sit 3 AMC, all set to high through balls and move into channels

Behind them are 2 very attacking DMCs

Behind them a standard back 4

Now the plan is that the two attacking DMC's will draw the opposition midfield to them, freeing the AMCs to get into 'the hole' behind the midfield and infront of the enemy DC's. The AMC's should then draw the enemy DC's to them, leaving space for the SC to run into and hopefully latch onto a through ball.

Sounds reasonable!

To achieve this I'm planning to do the following:

-High def line and narrow (pressure)

-short but slow passing game (time to pick those through balls)

-AMCs should be set to just above normal mentality, so they draw a DC to them and dont just run into them

-DMCs should be set to attacking and forward runs often and alot of closing down

-Back 4 should be fairly normal, but on the agressive side, again to maintain a high defensive line and pressure on the opposition

SC, here's the problem, I'm not used to 1 SC, so could do with rough ideas even here. Part of me says he should be defensive, hold the ball and the target man type, but that's not what I'm after here....I'm after a sneaky little speed merchant to get into the gaps and beat the offside trap, So should he infact be unltra offensive with next to no closing down so he just ghosts around up-top?

Thoughts welcome!

Why not mirror the poacher style for your lone striker, just a thought.

And i must say i don't agree that the 4-4-2 is dead, it's a favourite formation of mine and it's not letting me down.

well my 4-4-2 is working for my high flying norwich squad...100 games unbeaten in-fact, however it dosnt seem as universally successful as alot of the less usual shaped tactics

You may have issues defending your flanks with this set up, especially playing narrow . Your going to need your amcs to put In a shift to stop the oppositions full backs passing down the line to the wingers,

Your other issue maybe one dimensional play, everything going down the middle of the field

If your DMC's are making a lot of forward runs than you could have the problem that instead of the midfielders getting drawn away from the amc's your DMC's run up to your AMC's getting everyone in one congested area in front of the box. Just something to look out for. If you wan't to play with an FC who runs onto through balls setting him as poacher seems the best option. Advanced forward gives him a bit more room to do his own thing but makes him less goal focused and could go for the cross to much. Alternatively you could go with the popular deep lying forward or complete forward and have your FC not only score but also create for the AMC's. The danger is that you have no player threatening the space behind the D-line which allows your opponent to play a high D-line and restrict space. To combat this you can play your wide AMC's more forward and have them sit on the shoulder of the defense threatening to run on balls over the top and throughballs. This will punish teams playing a high D-line which in turn creates space for your FC and AMC to create from.

Basicly the question is do you play a forward pointing triangle and create from the sides or a backwards facing triangle and create from the center. If you play the backwards facing triangle you have one problem which is your AMC and FC are contesting the same space and have the same role. This can work out but is often not optimal. What I do is play my FC as the creator (deep lying forward or traquartista) and the AMC as false nine in a more goal focused role. I want him to start deep from the AMC and make runs past him while the two wingers threaten the space between the fullbacks and DC's with runs at goal. The two MC's behind this setup sit deep as deep lying playmakers who are both the defensive screen in front of the back four and the suppliers for my highly dangerous front 4. They form the key pivot between the 4 man defense and the 4 man attack. It also works really well when they are both creative threats as their midfield will want to close them down creating space between the defense and midfield which is also the space your FC and AMC want to exploit.

This is the system I like to use when playing 4-2-3-1 and it sounds really good in theory but in the matches my AMC often doesn't perform the way I want and the FC gets marked out of the game to much or can't reach my wingers as they either get marked to tightly or stay too deep.

thanks for the feedback

and for a very itnerestign tactical link.

I've got a confession - i got side tracked by a new 4-4-2...im an addict, what can i say.

All will be revealed.

Archived