My guide to teams in the English Championship and how to improve them

Here was my first season

You know, Kyle wasnt a bad player, but i had too many strikers, Eastwood did well, And keogh's value went to 2.7M, I came 12th, So all is not bad.

Ins:

Esmir Sabic - 20k

Peter Clarke - 525k

David McGoldrick - 1.4M

Peter Gilbert - 110k

Outs:

Stephen Elliot - 900k

Ebanks Blake - 1M

Bothroyd - 800k

Many Others...

Collins - 150k

Craddock - Free

Breen - 150k

Hennesey had a dodgy season, I messed around with tactics though.

Second Season:

Ins:

Nastja Ceh

Cristian Sarghi

Luca Santonico

Franco Di Santo - Loan

Outs:

Gibson - Loan ended

Charlie Mulgrew - 400k

Lee Collins - 14k

Dan Jones - 200k

Andy Keogh - 2.1M

First things first, well done LincolnCanary for another fantastic thread. I'll try to be a regular poster this time round.

I've started as Plymouth, and looking at the squad serious changes needed to be made.

GK - Apparently the weakest area according to the coaches, but Larrieu has done ok for me so far. Am on the lookout for another decent keeper though.

DR - Connolly is good enough for this level IMO. However, that said, I have brought in van Zanten to provide cover / competition.

DL - Paterson is definitely worth a starting place. Not sure Sawyer is good enough cover at DL really, so will try and get someone else in when January comes.

DC - Timar and Seip would be a good enough starting pairing for this league I think, with Doumbe as adequate cover. However, Seip has gone, so have brought in Sabic and Nordtveit (on loan) to sort out my defence.

MR - By far and away the weakest position in the squad, with no one to play there. Brought in Kalouda and Bjarnason for here, and van Zanten can also play here as well.

ML - In Halmosi you have one of the best left wingers in the division. Bjarnason can also play here, as can Murphy.

MC (with a barrow) - Abdou has been a revelation in this role, and Nalis does ok when called upon.

MC (with a farrow) - Mihelic was brought in for this position (after missing out on Piatti) and is playing well. Summerfield is my back up, and, as with Nalis, has done ok when he has been called upon.

FC - MacLean and Anichebe (Loan) are my starting forward pair, with Easter, Murphy and Jutkiewicz providing ample cover.

So thats my assessment of my Plymouth squad. I'm still in need of a GK, DL and MC, but other than that I'm happy.

Transfers in:

Anichebe - FC - Loan - Everton

Nordtveit - DC/DM - Loan - Arsenal

Murphy - AML/FC - £275k - Sunderland

van Zanten - DR/WBR/MR - £80k - St. Mirren

Mihelic - AMLC - £100k - Maribor

Kalouda - AMR - £400k - Brno

Sabic - DC - £26k - Baulmes

Bjarnason - AML/R - £85k - Viking

Transfers out:

Fallon - FC - £300k - Crewe

Chadwick - FC - £250k - Crewe

Folly - DM - £500k - Blackpool

Sandor - MC - £500k - MK Dons

Clark - MLRC - £500k - Oldham

Hodges - DL/MLC - £6k - Hartlepool

Seip - DC - £2.5m - Lille

I didn't really want to sell Seip, but the board accepted the bid over my head. In a way I'm glad they did, as it has meant I have a bumper transfer kitty left (£2.9m) and I've built a solid squad. Kalouda has been outstanding (just scored a hat-trick from MR) and MacLean and Anichebe are also playing well. Abdou has 4 in 7 as well from MC, which is always an added bonus. Played 11 games so far, and am second, 2 points behind leaders Preston. A long way to go yet though.

(Oh, and LincolnCanary, sorry to be pedantic, but the two hungarians are Halmosi and Timar, not Seip, he's dutch).

Currently midway through April and have already secured my status of Championship football next season with a points tally of 53 after 43 games. With a couple of decent runs I also managed to climb to 13th in the league with is extremely pleasing when I was expected to go down. Billy Sharp (on loan from Shef Utd) has chipped in 10 goals and bolstered my strike force. To bolster my defence I signed Paddy McCarthy from Charlton for £525k but is a good buy considering he's only 24 and is a commanding presence in defence. With 3 games to go another couple of wins would be nice. icon_smile.gif

The season has finished and I ended up 13th with 58 points, the board are delighted about the league performance considering we were meant to be relegated. I didn't have a star striker or a star winger, I just had a hard working team. The core of the team was strong with a good keeper in Joe Murphy and Andy Butler being solid at the back and with the purchase of McCarthy midway through the season. The central midfield of Jim Goodwin (captain) and Paul Thirlwell was a hard working partnership who were not afraid to get stuck in. A strike force of Martin Paterson and Ched Evans was vital, with Paterson's pace being a useful asset which helped ease pressure off the defence when needed. A decent cup run in the FA cup didn't really help after drawing 3 Championship sides (Coventry, Bristol City and Ipswitch), I finally got knocked out in the 5th round replay against Ipswitch. With a capacity of 9183 I couldn't really boost my finances with gate recipts and wages more or less equaling out. A planned expansion will be completed on the 1st of July 2009 which is a whole year ahead. After impressing on loan I have just put in a bid for £230k for Daniel Jones who was on loan from Wolves. More additions to the squad will probably happen as I'm hoping to build on a good 1st season.

10 games into the new season and it's not going to plan. I'll start with the transfers in the summer. When my safety was confirmed at the end of last season I knew I had to strengthen, I quickly snapped up Daniel Jones from Wolves for £210k who impressed at left back last season when he was on loan from Wolves. I then saw a bargain in Jon Parkin from Stoke for £190k, a good target man which I was after. After a good scout report I signed Allan Jenkins from Morton £140k to bolster my midfield. I then suffered a huge blow, Daryl Murphy wanted to leave and put in transfer request. Sheff Wed quickly put in a bid of £150k which I stalled on to think over my options. A week later and it was still the best offer I had so I accepted and he departed for Sheffield. I couldn't find a permanent replacement so I signed Adam Johnson on loan from Middlesbrough. As Daniel Jones is still a youngster I needed a more experienced left back to back up that postion and to do that I signed Clint Hill from Stoke for £400k who can play either in the centre or on the left. After 3 games in and 3 losses in I knew what my problem was, goals. As Billy Sharp and Ched Evans not wanting to rejoin on loan and only Jon Parkin joining it was a gap that needed filling. I quickly signed Roy O'Donovan on loan from Sunderland who has pace to burn. Still though I thought this area was weak so I snapped up Aaron Mclean from Peterborough for £275k who hasn't had a chance in the Championship but I think he has the ability to be a proven goalscorer in the Championship. With Kevan Hurst leaving in January last season a right winger was needed and that was filled by Lee Croft from Norwich for £525k. After the signings you would think I would have a good start and could push on furthur up the league, but no after a bad start we were bottom but have been slowly improving. 10 games in and I'm still bottom but only 2 points off safety so nothing to worry about just yet.

Jack Edwards!- In my opinion you made a big mistake selling elliott, who in the CCC is an absolute beast if you use him correctly!

He is now worth 3.9M on my save!

Also, bothroyd is a superb impact player if you give him a free role and lots of creative freedom!

and dan jones 200K, are you having a joke, he is a beast down the left flank, formed a great left sided pairing with mulgrew for me!

And how you getting along with di sant

A True Fan: Sounds like a brilliant game and exactly what I was hoping to inspire people to try.

I've been playing my Scunthorpe game as of late, and have another little gem to recommend. Try Paul Heffernan from Doncaster.

I signed the Heff after I played Doncaster in pre season and he impressed me. He's got a decent strength, height, power, pace and finishing and he went on to score me 22 goals for my Scunthorpe team in the first season. He scored 20 goals give or take in the next season too, and then got snapped up for £2mil by Charlton.

I'd recommend him to any lower Champ team.

For the more affluent Championship side, Ricardo Rocha is well worth a look. Spurs will often release him and he's super reliable. I got him in season three from Spurs with my Scunthorpe side and now plays regularly alongside Jack Hobbs who I got on loan until I could afford him properly with the Heff money.

Anyway, keep us up to date with your game - sounds very interesting. I managed to get Scunthorpe in the play offs by the third season - an achievement I'm quite proud of!

Originally posted by numero_uno_gunner:

(Oh, and LincolnCanary, sorry to be pedantic, but the two hungarians are Halmosi and Timar, not Seip, he's dutch).

Apologies for that, but the comment remains true - Halmosi and Seip are Plymouth's top players and are the basis of a potentially able side, if you can wheel and deal your way to it.

icon_wink.gif

Hi Jack,

I'm surprised you've sold Elliot and Ebanks Blake as well. While Ebanks Blake is criminally underated in the game, I had him scoring freely for my Plymouth team prior to the patch - think he ended the game with 26 goals.

Anyway, how is McGoldrick doing? I'm looking at him for my Scunthorpe side as a possible replacement for my free scoring striker who has just left for bigger things. Big blow, but the board wouldn't let me turn the bid down!

I Have A Game With Leicester. Last Season, I Went On Holiday Until Last Few Games, We Finshed 5th With A 5-2 Win In The Play-Off Final Against Coventry. This Season, Im 18th In The Premiership, This Is My Team

GK: David James/Peter Enckelman

RB/LB: Alan Sheehan, Dan Gosling, James Chambers, Richard Stearman

CB: Sol Campbell, Patrick Kisnorbo, Bruno N'Gotty, Richard Stearman, Gareth McAuley

RW: Chris Eagles (On Loan From Man.U), Gabriel Torje,

LW: Zsolt Laczko (On Loan From Olympiakos)

CM: James Wesolowski, Steven Clemence Matt Oakley (Captain), Sergo Hellings

ST: John Utaka, Tommy Smith, Benjani, Andy Caroll, Febian Brandy, Steve Howard

Thanks, But I Need Ideas Of Who To Buy/Loan. Im Playing A 5-3-2 Formation:

--------------James---------------

Gosling/Stearman/Campbell/Sheehan

-----Oakley/Wesolowski/Clemence---

-----------Utaka/Smith------------

Stikers Keep Rotaiting Round And I Need New Players To Keep Me Up

Guest wandererjack

If you need a top quality centre back, then you should sign Hannu Patronen. He is available from Honka in the Finnish Premier Division, for around 250-300k. He was superb for me, and he scored 8 goals from set pieces in the season.

I HATE Bristol City!!! More importantly at this moment in time, I officially hate Lee bloody Trundle.

Ok, I'll explain the rant. My Argyle team had exceeded expectations this season and I had been flirting with the play-offs all year. However, a mid-season dip in form where I won once in 10 games (drawing 7 of them) gave me lots of catching up to do. But incredibly I'd put myself in a position of having a chance to grab 6th spot on the last day of the season, if things went my way. I needed a Palace and Bristol City not to win, and me to beat Ipswich at home. That would be the same Ipswich who were looking for automatic promotion. Not an easy task for me, but I thought I was in with an outside chance.

Anyway, my game has goals galore, after going 2-0 down I battle back, making it 2-2. Ipswich then score again, but I come back, before Evans puts me 4-3 up with 10 mins to go. At this time, Palace are losing 2-0 away at Sheffield United, and Bristol City were being held 0-0 by 10 man Barnsley. Counago then equalises for Ipswich, making it 4-4, and dashing my play-off hopes, and sending them into the promised land at the same time. That is until Anichebe's 31st league goal of the campaign, sealing a 5-4 win and making me a happy man. I've done it, I've masterminded a miraculous charge into the play-offs.

Or so I thought.

I check the final results, and that bloody Trundle has netted an injury-time winner for Bristol City, pushing them into the final play-off spot by a point. Words cannot express my displeasure and depression at seeing that. A single point. And I can't help thinking about the goal Sheff Weds scored against me in stoppage time to make it 3-3 with two games to go, how crucial that seems now.

Anyway, a quick review of my season shows up 2 major flaws. Firstly, I conceded 86 goals in the league, far too many. And secondly, I only picked up 22 points away from home, which isnt enough.

On the positive side, I scored 119 in the league, which was the most, amassing 77 points in the process (Ipswich got 96 and only finished 3rd). MacLean got 35 in the league, despite being injured for 2 months of the season. Anichebe also got another 31, so its easy to see where my goals came from. Halmosi provided 20 assists as well.

So its another long season in the Championship for me, and some rebuilding to be done. Too many 'average' squad players didn't do enough when they came in, so I'll let some go, and bring in more quality. Strength in depth and all that.

numero_uno,

Sounds like a good game you got going there. Plymouth are a really decent team with a number of very good players, but I agree that their failing is a lack of strength in depth. If you can bring that depth in, then I think you'll be up there challenging for the automtics.

Regarding your conceeding record, have you considered playing a more secure 4-5-1 formation with a defensive midfielder to secure your back four? I found myself in a similar situation going into the Premiership, and altered my tactics to include a defensive midfielder.

I played 3 games with my 4-4-2 tactic that won the Championship and lost two 4-1 and 3-1 and won one 4-3. I reverted to a 4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder and found I retained possession a lot better.

Perhaps something like that away from home may make a few of the losses into draws?

Sounds a good game, though - good luck for your next season.

Hey LincolnCanary,

Yeah its been fun so far, really did think if I got into the play-offs I was in with a decent shout of going up, especially when you consider of the 6 sides who finished above me, I took:

4 points off Watford (including a 5-0 mauling), 3 off West Brom, 4 off Ipswich, 0 off QPR (lost 2-1 twice), 1 off Southampton, and 6 off Bristol City (who I hit 8 against in two games). Oh well, wasn't meant to be I guess (hope its not a similar case in real life though).

As for the tactics, I think I'll be a bit more cautious away from home this season. Will probably stick with the 4-4-2, but alter some of the settings. As it is, I've lost a few players due to them going back to their clubs, so am focusing on recruitment atm. And I've just noticed that my board, the cheeky sods, have nicked my £2.6m that was in my transfer budget. I'd built it up by selling players, so have had to sell a couple more to build it back up again. Bjarnason has just gone for £1.5m (not bad when he only cost me £85k).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi steelmen1986,

I always start with as many leagues as I feel my computer will allow. It just means the game has more players in it with a wider scope for finding some real bargains!

I would, however, always play with the English, Scottish, Spanish and French leagues at least, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a game with Crystal Palace last week. Been busy so havent played it that much.

Im in November in my first season. Sitting in 5th place after 14 games. Unbeaten at home with 6 wins and 1 draw, while away i only have 1 win with 3 draws and 3 defeats.

2nd league game away to Charlton saw me trail 3-0. Managed to come back to 3-3 with a 82nd min equaliser only for Butterfield to make a short backpass the next minute that resulted in a goal. So ended up losing the game 4-3. Lost in 2nd round of league cup away to Burnley.

Signings

Nicolas Fauvergue - loan

Chris Eagles - loan

Tony Warner - loan

Brian Mclean - £350k

Loan Kantelberg - £275k

Daryl Murphy - £240k

Victor Anichebe - loan

Anichebe hasnt played much due few injurys. Signed Kantelberg from dutch club VVV after my scouts recommended him, been a really good signing. Plays left mid and scored 5 goals. Wanted a gk and after a few bids were rejected decided to take Warner on loan till jan. He got his chance after Speroni was injured and has played well.

Usual line up 4-4-2

GK- Warner

RB- Butterfield

CB- Mclean

CB- Hudson

LB- Hughes

RM- Eagles/Soares

CM- Danns

CM- Watson

LM- Kantelberg

ST- Fauvergue

ST- Kuqi

In January transfer window i will be looking to sell some of the players who havent played much. Some of the young players are doing great in the reserves and u19 so might give them a chance.

Were you telling Welling to cheat Celtic, or as there was four arrows calling the poor person who's save file was corrupt a cheat?

Welling, stick with it! Look at Barnsley in real life, bottom half ambiguity, but you've got them in and around the play-offs in a couple of seasons, surely with a little bit more strengthening in the summer you could go up. There are no second chances in real life.

And if you meant A True Fan was a cheater, then that's a bit silly. I've gotten corrupt games a couple of times and don't touch editing tools or whatever, mainly I think it happens if I turn my computer straight off instead of logging off if I've just quit FM.

Hey All, Havn't been on FM in a while eh?

Anyways, Started a wolves game and it's going well so far!

Transfer's In:

Matias Almeyda - Free

James Chester - Loan

Quinton Fortune - Free

Lubos Kalouda - 325k

Daniel Sturridge - Loan

Gregory Thil - 130k

Brian McLean - 625k

Ryan France - 400k

Several Other Youths to add to my u18 team...

Total Spent: 2.6M

And i still have about 1.3M Left!

And how did i get this money!

Outs:

Stephen Elliot - 925k

Neil Collins - 150k

Gary Breen - 150k

Freddy Eastwood - 1.5m

Daniel Jones - 80k

Total: 2.8M

Everything is going well so far!

My Starting XI

-----------------Hennesey----------------------

France--------Chester--------McLean--------Fortune

---------------Almeyda-------Gibson---------------------

------------Keogh-------Potter-------------Kalouda

------------------------Thil---------------------------

There are several arrows, Im using Kimz tactic!

3rd in the league, just beat Sheff U 5-3!

Thinking about starting a new game on 802 in the Championship. Apparently it's a very competitive league, as far as I can tell from Football Focus (I'm not from England, so it's not really a league I follow).

Is it a challenge (or at least a fun game) to start with WBA? I've heard they play the 'best' football of the entire league, but won't it be too easy to gain promotion and defeat the drop from the EPL in the 2nd season?

Originally posted by Mike_Cardinal:

Were you telling Welling to cheat Celtic, or as there was four arrows calling the poor person who's save file was corrupt a cheat?

Welling, stick with it! Look at Barnsley in real life, bottom half ambiguity, but you've got them in and around the play-offs in a couple of seasons, surely with a little bit more strengthening in the summer you could go up. There are no second chances in real life.

And if you meant A True Fan was a cheater, then that's a bit silly. I've gotten corrupt games a couple of times and don't touch editing tools or whatever, mainly I think it happens if I turn my computer straight off instead of logging off if I've just quit FM.

I was telling welling to cheat

I've had an online game going with Ipswich (8.01 with 8.02 database update) for almost 7 seasons now - currently in season 2012/2013 and just entering the month of March. Anyways I was promoted first season coming 2nd behind West Brom but unfortunately came straight back down the following season finishing rock bottom icon_frown.gif. However, I managed to regain promotion the 2nd season as winners! So it was my second attempt at cracking the EPL. I managed to keep most of my players from my first season in the EPL for my season back down in the CCC. So back up in the EPL with a team that had had 2 seasons to gel as a team - I managed to finish 11th and beat the drop by a considerable margin. This meant money money money icon_biggrin.gif. So my 2nd consecutive season in the EPL and I managed to finish 5th, only losing out to 4th place to Liverpool by goal difference icon_confused.gif

Following this season I managed to break into the top 4 - finishing 2nd behind Arsenal by 5 points and reaching the 1st round knockout of the UEFA Cup - so a very successful season. As I said I'm currently in my 7th season and I'm sitting top of the pile with Liverpool, Sunderland and Chelsea chasing me. My current squad looks like this :-

----------------Fabianski-------------------

----------Tamas-------Spiranovic------------

Fabinho-----------------------------Mathieu

Bentley--Alfaro--Adrien---Buonanotte-------

---------------------------------Sergio Mota

----------------Haynes---------------------

(Hoopio away tactic)

Anyways I'm not just telling this to gloat just to show people that going a Championship side is alot of fun and imo my favourite league to start a career with. Ipswich Town are a great place to start aswell, especially now that they have loads of money in their first season icon_razz.gif

Long winded story over icon_razz.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived