Ajax System for FM2007 – AFC Ajax – 1990s

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by crazyscotsman:

marz:

No worries.

Looking forward to testing your new tactic

I'll try and put up for download later tonight. But only as beta without readme as I'm still testing with it myself. Can't do much of that at the moment as its just the end of season break.

I'll put up how I plan my pre-season and training etc on Sunday night if I get the time.

Originally posted by Spikester:

Marz - Will you be doing something similar to this for FM 2008?

Cheers

A few people have told me that my tactic seems to work in FM8. I myself wont be playing FM8 as I like to have long term single player games. I'll be playing FM9 though but not till first or second quarter of 2009.

Marz:

Would you say this type of formation should only be played by the top leagues in each country to obtain the best skilled players?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

Marz: You had mentioned before that this formation needs high quality players to make it perform so in your opinion would you only play with it in the top leagues with the top teams - example Ajax, Man utd, etc.

I wouldn't say that you have to be the top team in your league. But one of them. As an example I could use my Champions Cup run. In the final few stages of the competition I had:

Valencia, cant remember the details.

Then Real Madrid who had better 1st eleven but play a defensive 442 and relied on 3/4 players to make something happen. So it was just a case of containing and limiting their involvement. Which I did to a certain extent by playing my more defensive minded Midfielder on that side.

Then Chelsea who again had a better 1st eleven and a very good bench to back them up. From what I recall I used a lot more direct balls from the back and got key goals through counter football. Plus I noticed that their backline would be weak in build-up (but I couldn’t really exploit that do to Essien ability as holding midfielder).

Barcelona in the final played an attacking 433, where I gambled on players 1 to 1 ability ; as did Rijkaard; not sure what my opponent in the European super cup will do. icon_biggrin.gif I accidentally played most of the first have with an attacking mentality in midfield. My guess is that, when my team did have possession the forward play was positive enough to overload the 4 at the back from Barca.

The key is that all your players need to be able to pass (and the other stats that go with possession), so you could say you need technical good players. I don’t focus much on strength in training 14+ is good enough for most players in the System. When you look back at the Ajax side that won against Milan in 95. It had players in it who weren't world beaters.

Sorry haven’t had much time to play in the last 3 days so I’m still in the summer break. I'll hope to make my pre-season preparation (matches and training) available sometime in the next 7 days.

Read me will take a bit longer and depend more on if I like the way players position themselves etc.

This version is more attacking even with the Diamond Man (10) starting from a deeper position. There's more closing down and the mentalities of the defenders is set as normal. This should build a good foundation for the team playing a bit more on the opponent side of the pitch. Few other changes are in set-pices. I'am still not happy with throw-in positions and will try to improve that.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

FL <--S FR

^

/

/

MC MC MC

DMC

|

v

<---DC DC DC--->

|

v

</pre>

Example 1 above

FL S--> FR

^

\

\

MC MC MC

DMC

|

v

<---DC DC DC--->

|

v

</pre>

Example 2 above

This is the way I currently line up the FM7 positioning. When attacking the the System should go into a diamond 3-4-3. I put the side arrows on as I didn't see enough of that with normal arrows; players stayed to central. Another theory is that the holding midfielder should always be the one under the Diamond Mans (No10) run. So in example 1, the holding midfielder should be the MRC (No6); in example 2 he should be the MLC (No8). The other midfielder should be the one with the FWR often.

The reason behind this is that is most matches you will face 2 central midfielders. One will try mark the No10 while the other one should do the same job on the on the midfielder with the FWR often. This in theory then gives the holding midfielder more space to work in; the Midfield Libero (No4) also benefits.

Upfront you will see something I'f been trying to get to work with little success. The front three and No10 IRL used to almost line up as a 4. And then act as the 1 in a 1-2 passing move; since I have made these changes I have also seen more of the "third man" principle.

I put the arrow on the DC to SW, as the Midfield Libero would move into the same space when defending. Now the Central Defender (No3) still stay in his original DC position but the DMC sits just onto. When defending inside the box the players will also defend more as a 4. The side way arrow on the Backs (5&2) operate both defensively and attacking, in accordance with what the players feels is needed. Although more time is spend in the centre which is exactly what I want.

Made a few tweaks so a 2nd beta tactic should be out sometime 2nite.

Marz:

What are the most common adjustments you are making plaing away from home?

The previous tactic was more defensive so was good to play away with little changes.

This new download is more attacking/true to real life, but also more attacking. So a lot of changes will have to be made.

As for common changes:-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>extra holding midfielder, maybe reduce the "often" FWR to "mixed" on the other outside midfielder

<LI>reduce DF Line

<LI>reduce Mentalities of the of back 3, DMC and both outside Midfielder by around 4

should make the back 3 play at 6

should make the DMC play at 10/11

should make the No 8&6 play at around 10/11

<LI> maybe even reduce the No10's mentality slight to participate more in build-up from 18 anywhere to 15 or even 14

<LI> closing down should also be adjusted by around 4 for everyone but the front 3 (maybe include the No 10 in that depending on what’s happening in the match)

If no more major changes need to be made to the System then I'll concentrate on making a defensive and more attacking version.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Marz:

Ajax System (343) v1.7 beta2

Possible tweak to the SW/DC, closingdown to first mixed (6).

Also trying reducing passing of the SW/DC (No3) by 1 to highest mixed passing. And Backs (5&2) to Run with ball "often", also reduce their passing to lowest mixed.

marz:

do you play with Ajax only or have you tried your tactics with other teams and leagues?

Only with Ajax since FM, nice mix of challenges playing it that way.

First team 22 players (one for each position)

Then 5 spaces reserved for youth players:

1 GK

1 for No3/4

1 for No2/6/7

1 for No5/8/11

1 for No9/10

Reserve team (treated as a Under 21 team) 11 players (used to be 16 but the squad rotational players etc can help out). For cup games I use Under 19s players as subs. Unless its PSV etc.

Again 5 spaces reserved for players who come from either the first team or Under 19:-

1 GK

1 for No3/4

1 for No2/6/7

1 for No5/8/11

1 for No9/10

Under 19's:-

11 players +

1 GK

1 for No3/4

1 for No2/6/7

1 for No5/8/11

1 for No9/10

Under 17's not in the game used as an overflow, not all spaces are used (currently have 8 players):-

11 players +

1 GK

1 for No3/4

1 for No2/6/7

1 for No5/8/11

1 for No9/10

marz:

thanks for the info

do you send players out on loan?

I use it for players who are nearly ready to play in the first team squad. I’m trying to have a maximum of 11 players in the reserve who I give games when they have an extended run of good form. The other young players then go on loan for a year, and should be in the reserve the following year. I also use the loan/affiliate clubs for future staff. I try to buy 29/30+ year old who came through the Ajax youth system; and have Ajax as favourite club. There are exceptions like Litmanen, Kanu. I also try to recruit players who came through the Ajax Academy and went on to become internationals. I then loan them out to clubs to learn languages while I wait for them to retire.

Originally posted by Marz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marz:

Ajax System (343) v1.7 beta2

Possible tweak to the SW/DC, closingdown to first mixed (6).

Also trying reducing passing of the SW/DC (No3) by 1 to highest mixed passing. And Backs (5&2) to Run with ball "often", also reduce their passing to lowest mixed.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have the Wingers (7&11) on FWR "mixed" (if the opposition leave a lot of space in their half use often), with try long shooting "often".

Marz:

Why would you bring in players 29/30 then loan them out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyscotsman:

marz:

thanks for the info

I use it for players who are nearly ready to play in the first team squad. I’m trying to have a maximum of 11 players in the reserve who I give games when they have an extended run of good form. The other young players then go on loan for a year, and should be in the reserve the following year. I also use the loan/affiliate clubs for future staff. I try to buy 29/30+ year old who came through the Ajax youth system; and have Ajax as favourite club. There are exceptions like Litmanen, Kanu. I also try to recruit players who came through the Ajax Academy and went on to become internationals. I then loan them out to clubs to learn languages while I wait for them to retire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marz:

Why would you bring in players 29/30 then loan them out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyscotsman:

marz:

thanks for the info

I use it for players who are nearly ready to play in the first team squad. I’m trying to have a maximum of 11 players in the reserve who I give games when they have an extended run of good form. The other young players then go on loan for a year, and should be in the reserve the following year. I also use the loan/affiliate clubs for future staff. I try to buy 29/30+ year old who came through the Ajax youth system; and have Ajax as favourite club. There are exceptions like Litmanen, Kanu. I also try to recruit players who came through the Ajax Academy and went on to become internationals. I then loan them out to clubs to learn languages while I wait for them to retire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For future staff. I then loan them to clubs in a country which has a language they only have as basic or not at all.

Marz:

Just an update for you on Ajax System (343) v1.7 beta2. I used this as my home tactic in a new game with Bury who are in English Div 2. I used an away tactic with the following modification from the home tactic above:

*Outside mc's FWR to mix

*Reduced DLine by 4

*Reduced mentality on back 3, dmc,amc and outside mc's by 4

*CD reduced by 4 for all but front three.

By only using these two tactics we finished 2nd in the league!!!!

Originally posted by grimness:

It is useful when you bring youth players with no knowledge of language to adapt much easier if they have coaches which know their native language.

And the future staff get knowledge of that country to, which the club then gets. Useful if the club's board decide to cancel association with feeder club from that country.

By only using these two tactics we finished 2nd in the league!!!!

Sounds good, I haven’t had to play defensively yet. I’m top dog in my CL group so no need yet.

Made few more tweaks which I think are close to being final:-

Defensive corners, Wingers (7&11) Stay forward

Closing down to 16 (2nd CD)

Attacking throw-ins (still working on this as the tactic settings are close to being final) Midfield Libero (4) to ‘default’ (for both sides)

Midfield Libero closing down to highest mixed and forward runs to “oftenâ€

I also have both Midfielders (6&8) on ‘hold ball up’. With the attacking MC on highest Normal mentality and the other one on 10.

I’ve also been trying focus passing down centre with Target Men being both the Wingers to ‘Run onto ball’. But its early days for this ploy. I don’t think it will ever be part of the my general system; but a nice ploy.

Marz:

Are you still setting the OI instruction to show onto wrong foot for both FB's with this version?

I stop doing that (to see effects), will start again.

Marz:

What size pitch do you tend to play on at home?

That option is not available in FM2007, I'm looking forward to FM2009, as there will be lots more features. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by billyp15:

does this tactic work for fm08 or is it not successful

FM8 uses the same tactic settings etc, so yes it work in terms of software compatibility. And in terms of improved match engine etc, people in this thread have said it works.

I'm going to make a final 1.7 available for Monday night; if all goes well. icon_wink.gif

Just wondering if you have made a training schedule for this to improve the stats needed. If not can you recceomend what training to use in football manager 08.

Just downloaded your pack including all the background on Ajax system and I have to say it is unbelievable keep the hard work up

sorry just read training tips in your pack anyway im going to research this alot more in the morning.

My aim is to take Fisher Athletic the lowest reputation club in the english league and make them become the new Ajax I have already got them into League two now im going to apply the Ajax system to my team Ill let you know how it goes.

Just finished my first season with this tactic and Ive got to say I have been amazed, it got me promoted through the play-offs where I beat Carlisle 4-1 on penalties.

However In the last quater of the season I started conceding alot more goals mainly away from home.

Having finished my first season with this tactic I will not start to re-structure the team with 16 first team players, 16 reserves and 16 youth players. It may be a problem getting my reserves and youth teams to be successful straight away as im Fisher Athleticand they dont have very good facilities but now im going into league one I requested that they improve there facilities and they accepted.

All I require now is a training schedule and what type stats to look for in my players.

I will not play the game until the new beta comes out tonight and hopefully by then you can upload your training schedules and tell me what type players to look for ad what stats to look for

Just wondering if you have made a training schedule for this to improve the stats needed. If not can you recceomend what training to use in football manager 08.

Just downloaded your pack including all the background on Ajax system and I have to say it is unbelievable keep the hard work up

Thank you very much, hoping to put it all together in a mega Ajax thread sometime during FM2009.

As for FM8 I don’t play it, still playing a long term game with FM7. But as much hasn’t changed training post I meant to have done sometime last month should be of interest to you. Busy week for me this week. But I’m hoping to have it out within the next 2 weeks.

sorry just read training tips in your pack anyway im going to research this alot more in the morning.

My aim is to take Fisher Athletic the lowest reputation club in the english league and make them become the new Ajax I have already got them into League two now im going to apply the Ajax system to my team Ill let you know how it goes.

Personally I think you and crazyscotsman, well crazy to try and play this style of football with the clubs you are. But I’ll try to help you guys as much as possible.

could you upload your training schedules just so we have examples and we can tweak them

Won’t be any use as they are tailored to each of my players; more on that within the next 2 weeks.

Just finished my first season with this tactic and Ive got to say I have been amazed, it got me promoted through the play-offs where I beat Carlisle 4-1 on penalties.

However In the last quater of the season I started conceding alot more goals mainly away from home.

Having finished my first season with this tactic I will now start to restructure my squad with 16 first team players, 16 reserves and 16 youth players. It may be a problem getting my reserves and youth teams to be successful straight away as im Fisher Athleticand they dont have very good facilities but now im going into league one I requested that they improve there facilities and they accepted.

All I require now is a training schedule and what type stats to look for in my players.

I will not play the game until the new beta comes out tonight and hopefully by then you can upload your training schedules and tell me what type players to look for ad what stats to look for

Yeah only way my board would improve the training facilities was for me to sign a 4 year deal. I’ll try and post about required stats before the end of the week.

As for new beta was hoping for the new download to be final. But been doing some experimenting with the defensive set up following watching this Heroes of the Future: The Ajax Playing Style .

I’ll try to post more info about that tomorrow or day after. As for new download I think its unlikely tonight sorry, lost of new ideas I want to test further. The new downloads will need a read-me with it too as its not just a simple download and play job.

ok no problem I look forward to the future download pack.

could you post a screenshot of your strongest starting line-up.

I have had trouble away from home with the tactic could you tell me how to make me concede less goals away from home

could you post a screenshot of your strongest starting line-up.

Mitea Huntelaar Manucharyan

Higuain

Sneijder Arouca

Maduro

Emanuelson Corluka Heitinga

Stekelenburg

</pre>

I have had trouble away from home with the tactic could you tell me how to make me concede less goals away from home

Look at:-

Posted 30 May 2008 11:18

Posted 04 June 2008 21:27

one extra question which I have always wondered is it possible to recreate total football of football manager

Think its hard to play that style now as football has gotten faster in the last 30 years. I'am not going to attempt that. If you want to try that I would suggest read the book "brilliant orange". In terms of football manager:-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>your team would have to control the pace of the game

<LI>lost of creative freedom

<LI>players who can play each other positions in terms of stats

<LI>I tried the position swapping in FM7 and it seem more rigid then when the feature was first introduced (this alone would make it almost impossible and pointless; as your losing the key element of that style)

Reading through this thread inspired me to reinstall my old FM 2007. Even inspired me to start up a career with Ajax which I haven't done for several versions of the game.

Have been using the 1.7beta2 version updated with the tweaks you advised on following that upload.

Been having a relatively successful time with it but suffering the same problems as billp15 above. I find it struggles away from home (3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws). The thing that has annoyed me about the away defeats was the manner in which I was beaten. Granted 2 of the games were away to PSV then away to Feyenoord, the hardest two game of the season but I was beaten 3-0 and 4-0 respectively, I barely had a sniff attacking wise either. Then my other defeat was away to Groningen, a team I had been tipped to comfortably beat, I lost 5-2 after going 2-0 up in the first 8 mins.

Do you still recommend the pre-match tweaks regarding what has been said in the scout report (i.e. dropping defensive line if there's fast strikers)?

I'd also appreciate knowing what you would consider your best eleven if it's no problem.

just to make sure im doing this right, you have 22 first team players 2 for each position and then you have 6 places reserved for youngsters from the reserves who show good form.

Then you have 16 players in the youth and reserve team.

I would also like to know what type player to buy or bring through for number 9 and 10, I would also like to know what type defenders to have wether they have to have pace or not, you have mentioned that they require good off the ball do they need good positioning aswell

Originally posted by Da Ruud:

Reading through this thread inspired me to reinstall my old FM 2007. Even inspired me to start up a career with Ajax which I haven't done for several versions of the game.

If you aren’t to far into the game yet try my Gambia Mod - FM2007 , maybe run it in holiday mode for 2-4 seasons to see if you like it.

Originally posted by Da Ruud:

Have been using the 1.7beta2 version updated with the tweaks you advised on following that upload.

Been having a relatively successful time with it but suffering the same problems as billp15 above. I find it struggles away from home (3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws). The thing that has annoyed me about the away defeats was the manner in which I was beaten. Granted 2 of the games were away to PSV then away to Feyenoord, the hardest two game of the season but I was beaten 3-0 and 4-0 respectively, I barely had a sniff attacking wise either. Then my other defeat was away to Groningen, a team I had been tipped to comfortably beat, I lost 5-2 after going 2-0 up in the first 8 mins.

Do you still recommend the pre-match tweaks regarding what has been said in the scout report (i.e. dropping defensive line if there's fast strikers)?

There are two problems I’ve been working on. One being the attacking side and getting the wingers involved. Key to that is to put only the Wingers on the Target man list and set the supply to “run onto ballâ€. I specifically leave the FWR of the Wingers on 'Mixed' so that they don’t always look for the ball behind the defence. This then makes them come short and interact with the wide midfielder and half-back. This ploy which I though would just be a nice addition in certain situations works well as a general tactic. Either as counter or to keep the opponent defence deep.

From a defensive point of view I now demand more pressing from the half-backs. Playing them on highest 'mixed' closing down. If the opponent plays with 2 strikers then the half-backs should be playing from DC position with arrows outwards. If the opposition plays with wide wingers (AML & AMR) then I’ve been playing my half-backs from DL & DR with inwards arrows.

For team talk I tend to use “expect victory“, and “you can win this†for away games against top opposition; in the league. I also always tend to select 3 players who I tell “have faithâ€. As for training I will explain more about that sometime within the next 13 days.

Tip: Against PSV (4-2-3-1) I always try to direct their play via Afellay (12-14 for stats in my game; the weakest link) icon_biggrin.gif who normally plays AMC or AMR.

Ajax_v_PSV_Sun_14_Sep_2008

Hope this works as we had some problems earlier in the thread with pkms. The match should show the different defensive positions I have tried out (keep an eye on the formations).

just to make sure im doing this right, you have 22 first team players 2 for each position and then you have 6 places reserved for youngsters from the reserves who show good form.

6 spaces for players who will moved from the reserve team to the first team for a whole season (unless there are problems). I normally do this in the review periods, winter break and end of season. But also to players who during the season suddenly develop and show good consistent form (months). Loan players who come back from loan and its make or break year. I use it as kind of an overflow.

As for players who show good form no 6’s in their last 5 games, but they stay in their respective squads. I tend to give minutes in the first team limelight (exceptions are 6 after coming on as a sub for only a few minutes).

Then you have 16 players in the youth and reserve team.

I now only keep 11 players in the reserve team, these are considered my best youth players who could make it into the first team squad during the season. Or players that are to good for the Under19s league and new buys (adaptation period). I used to keep 16 like the youth team system. But stop that as I needed reserve team spots to keep some players from the first team squad match fit. The reserve league is also not good enough for developing players, just keeps them fit, with little improvement. Or for players who need specific training.

Example being I have a half back C Supusepa, who needs attacking, ball skills and shooting training with a little aerobics. If I would loan him out he would improve less in the areas he needs, as some time would be wasted on areas he is already good in. Loaning also seems to improve the hidden stats like professionalism etc which he already has.

will the update be out tonight m8

My aim currently is Friday night.

I decided that Fisher Athletic wernt the right side for this brand of football so I decided to follow in the steps of Van Gaal and start at Ajax and then take it from there just want to know what league's to load from the start so i know there will be young talent about.

So I wont start untill tommorow as tonight Im going to watch 6 DVD'S I just bought on Ajax to get me in the mood to play with them, I bought a season review of the 1995-96 season which I look forward to watching I also found a download of the DVD link you gave me.

I have also ordered The Coaching Philosophies of Louis van Gaal and the Ajax Coaches and Rinus Michels “TEAMBUILDING the road to success†from amazon and cant wait to recieve them just thinking about purchasing brilliant orange the neutronic genius of dutch football but I dont know wether it will be worth it.

Just to clarify what I do with my first team, second team and youth team. So I have a first team squad of 22 players one for each position, then 5 spaces reserved for the youth players who perform well in the second team, I treat my reserve team like a u21 team with 11 players with 5 places reserved for first team or u19 players and the same for my u19 team.

I believe you have a great knowledge of Ajax football club so this is why I am aksing you this, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to have your msn address so I can contact you more easily.

Tip: Against PSV (4-2-3-1) I always try to direct their play via Afellay (12-14 for stats in my game; the weakest link) icon_biggrin.gif who normally plays AMC or AMR.

Ajax_v_PSV_Sun_14_Sep_2008

Hope this works as we had some problems earlier in the thread with pkms. The match should show the different defensive positions I have tried out (keep an eye on the formations).

Watched the match.

Noticed that you started with the half backs in the center arrowed out while they played 4-2-3-1 with two wide men then as they changed to a 4-4-2 i believe you moved the half backs out wide arrowing inwards. It remained like this until half time when you moved the right half back back in to the center arrowed out and I think the whole half was played like this.

I noticed while watching the match that quite often I noticed man marking on the two front men either by the NO.2 (Heitinga replaced by van der Laan), NO.5 (Emanuelson) and NO.4 (Maduro). Had you told any of these players to specifically mark the front two?

Archived