[FM11] Below Par - The Travels of a Young Manager

GylfiAsCharged

belowpar.gif

Welcome to my first journeyman career updates thread, I hope you enjoy reading it. Any pointers would be appreciated as I am what they would call a 'noob' around these parts.

Patch 11.1

Leagues enabled:

Most European Major

N Ireland + Scotland + Poland

Aus, China + S. Korea

Brazil + Argentina

Management Map. - Tracking the path of the journeyman.

0000.gif

Season      Team             Country       League           Position    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11     Dunfermline      Scotland      Division 1       6th         Joined in September, Resigned in May
2011/12     Hartlepool Utd   England       League 2         -           -

Want to catch up on previous seasons before the current one? Here are the past season overviews.

2010-11 Dunfermline Athletic.

CURRENT SEASON:

hartlepool-badge.gif

1112hartlepool.gif

Nickname: The Monkey Hangers.

Ground: Victoria Park.

Capacity: 7,787.

Fierce Rivals: Darlington.

Hartlepool popped up and offered me a job two weeks after leaving my post at East End Park with Dunfermline. My stay there wasn't particularly memorable, and there was nothing there that made me want to stay. However what attracted me to Hartlepool was the much larger wage budget. They had been relegated from the Npower League 1 last season, and I knew that this would be a good chance to win my first title as a manager. At first glance the squad was not great, but on further inspection, there are some good players. Gary Liddle, Fabian Yantorno, King Gyan and Ronny. It was evident that the past manager had been very active in the transfer window, and perhaps this is what led to relegation, a disjointed team. I only inherited an 18 man squad, so I had to sign many players on free transfers.

Summer Signings: Carl Cort (Brentford), Free Transfer. Jonathan Worthington (Oldham), Free Transfer. Mazan Moslehe (Kapfenberger), Free Transfer. Amin Kabir (Willebroek), Free Transfer. Nick Ajose (Manchester United), Free Transfer. Andy Robinson (Leeds), Free Transfer. Calvin Zola (Crewe), Free Transfer. Ryan Donnelly (Airdrie), Free Transfer. Oliver Gill (Manchester United) Free Transfer. Rob Kozluk (Sheffield United), Free Transfer.

Updates: Preseason - Aug, Sep, Oct -

I couldn't resist, I signed for Dunfermline Athletic in the Scottish First Division just after the transfer window shut, a team which have had success only a few years back, but are now on the slide. It'll be nice to see if I can help them bet back into the SPL.

dafc.gif

00.gif

Nickname: The Pars

Ground: East End Park

Capacity: 12,509

Fierce Rivals: Falkirk, Raith, East Fife.

So, my first assignment. Joining just after the close of the transfer window will make things even more challenging. Dunfermline aren't doing too badly, sitting in 5th in the Scottish First Division, but the board want the team to be pushing for the title. Quite a lot of players are injured, and the squad seems paper-thin, my 23-year-old versatile full-back Calum Woods looks to be the team's star man, and most of the other players don't really look up to the task. My aim is to try and stay in touch with the top teams, until the January transfer window opens, and then make some signings to help push for promotion. There are no transfer funds available and it is instantly clear that the club is having financial pro

blems, however resolving them isn't my job, winning games is my job. The cup tournaments are out of the equation, since the Pars went out in the first round of both. It's by no means a weak league, with Raith, Partick Thistle, Dundee and Falkirk propping up, and it sure is a challenge. Dunfermline have been dropping down the system over the last few years, hopefully I'll be the one to lift them back up again.

Summer Signings: Martin Kelly (Liverpool), 12 month loan. Corry Evans (Manchester United), 12 month loan. Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), 12 month loan.

Updates: September - October - November - December - January - February - March - April - May

leagueandcupwinners.gif

TOURNAMENT NAME             WINNERS                 RUNNERS UP         
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE     ARSENAL                 MANCHESTER UNITED      
NPOWER CHAMPIONSHIP         MIDDLESBROUGH           NOTTINGHAM FOREST
NPOWER LEAGUE ONE           SOUTHAMPTON             SWINDON TOWN
NPOWER LEAGUE TWO           WYCOMBE WANDERERS       SOUTHEND UNITED
BLUE SQUARE PREMIER         RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS      LUTON TOWN
BLUE SQUARE NORTH           AFC TELFORD             GAINSBOROUGH
BLUE SQUARE SOUTH           ST ALBANS               DOVER ATHLETIC

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE            TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR       RUBIN KAZAN
EUROPA LEAGUE               ATLETICO MADRID         NAPOLI
EUROPEAN SUPER CUP          ATLETICO MADRID         TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
WORLD CLUB CUP              INTERNACIONAL           AL-HILAL (SAUDI)

FA CUP                      TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR       ARSENAL
LEAGUE CUP                  EVERTON                 ARSENAL
COMMUNITY SHIELD            CHELSEA                 MANCHESTER UNITED
JOHNSTONE'S PAINT TROPHY    SOUTHAMPTON             WALSALL
FA TROPHY                   YORK CITY               WREXHAM

LIGUE 1                     OLYMPIQUE DE MARSEILLE  OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS          
LIGA BBVA                   BARCELONA               VILLAREAL
SERIE A                     AC MILAN                AS ROMA
BUNDESLIGA                  FC BAYERN MUNCHEN       SCHALKE 04

dafc.gif

September Update.

Corry Evans and Martin Kelly both join on a season-long loan. Two games, the first a disappointing loss and the second a solid thrashing against the bottom side.

2irx3qd.png

My head scout has just returned from Spain, with no reports, and my third scout, for some reason, is looking for Albanian goalkeepers, to no avail.

Current Position: 5th.

dafc.gif

October Update.

Kyle Walker is my third and final loan signing, however he has yet to arrive. A good finish to a tough month, with a great win over leaders and arch-rivals Falkirk.

1010.png

Martin Kelly has been scoring for fun from the right-back position, although the game recognizes him as mainly a centre-back. He won young player of the month for October, with 3 goals in 4 games.

kelly.png

Yeah, I'm allowed to scout anywhere in Europe, so it's great. :) For the time being at least, I don't plan to stay on at the same club for more than 3 seasons.

Adding a 'management map'. Basically when I move jobs it'll show how far I've travelled and I can calculate the distance, to see how much of a true journeyman I really am.

Adding a 'management map'. Basically when I move jobs it'll show how far I've travelled and I can calculate the distance, to see how much of a true journeyman I really am.

OOOO thats a great Idea! Am I allowed to have your idea on loan with an option of making the move permanant?

:)

dafc.gif

November Update.

A great first result followed by a couple of poor ones, and a couple of okay ones. Still no idea where Walker is though...

1110.png

Andy Kirk, my top scorer, got injured in the game against Stirling, luckily it isn't serious.

And here is the current league table:

1110table.png

Current Position: 5th

dafc.gif

December Update.

A poor month for the Pars. With David Graham out injured with a gash to the lower leg for 3 months, we were lacking in firepower, and the goals dried up.

1210.jpg

And the league table:

1210table.jpg

Dunfermline Leading Scorers:

Andy Kirk: 8

Pat Clarke: 5

David Graham: 5

Martin Kelly: 3

Alex Burke: 3

Dunfermline Most Assists:

Joe Cardle: 8

Willie Gibson: 7

Alex Burke: 4

Gary Mason: 3

David Graham: 2

Dunfermline MOM Awards:

Alex Keddie: 2

Martin Kelly: 2

Austin McCann: 2

Dunfermline Clean Sheets:

Chris Smith: 9

Current Position: 5th

Yeah, it depends on how this season goes. If the board offer me a transfer budget next season, or if I somehow get promoted, I might stay. I'll wait and see what jobs are available. Oh, and just had my best result of my career so far - stay tuned for the January update!

dafc.gif

January Update.

Bar a horrible derby defeat against Raith, The Pars won every game this month, including a fantastic 4-2 victory away at table-toppers Dundee. The month saw a few new faces arrive at the club. Three Spaniards, and a Barbadian. Kiko, an experienced striker joined on a free from Oviedo, and scored on his debut, Juanma Delgado also joined, a fiery, strong centre-back, as well as Ivan Ania, a tricky left-winger with a mean free kick. Finally, Alvin Rouse, a 28 year-old goalkeeper came in to replace the soon-to-be-departing Greg Paterson. The month also saw a new contract for David Graham and Calum Woods. Overall a great month, overshadowed by a bad defeat against fierce rivals, and sees us climb to 4th.

111.jpg

Oh, and Japan won the Asian Cup of Nations.

Current Position: 4th

dafc.gif

February Update.

An okay month in my eyes, a poor result at Stirling cancelled out by a fortunate derby victory over Falkirk aided by two goals from my new signings. Hibs are up next in the Quarter-Finals of the Scottish Cup, bring them on.

211.png

Current Position: 4th

Bad luck on the Hibs defeat. Was it as one-sided as a 2-1 can get or was it a close run thing?

We missed a penalty 10 minutes in, then scored a penalty 20 minutes in. They scored just before half-time, and then I knew what was coming in the second half. It was an alright performance, I think the problem is my new signings, they're all playing well but the rest of the team aren't, there may be some unrest behind the scenes that I don't know about. Oh well, two games left in the season and I can still come second if results go my way... saying that, I can come 8th too. Apart from the promotion spot, relegation playoff spot, and bottom spot, everyone is within 7 points of each other.

dafc.gif

April Update.

The draw against Raith was a decent result, and the loss against Queen of the South was disappointing, but the victory and clean sheet against league champions Dundee was a high point, and we comfortably swept bottom-feeders Cowdenbeath with ease. Corry Evans picked up the Young Player of the Month award for a string of solid performances at central midfield in place of the injured Gary Mason. Two games left in the season, and my future is still undecided...

411.png

belowpar.gif

Welcome to my first journeyman career updates thread, I hope you enjoy reading it. Any pointers would be appreciated as I am what they would call a 'noob' around these parts.

Patch 11.1

Leagues enabled:

Most European Major

N Ireland + Scotland + Poland

Aus, China + S. Korea

Brazil + Argentina

Management Map. - Tracking the path of the journeyman.

0000.gif

Season      Team             Country       League           Position    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11     Dunfermline      Scotland      Division 1       6th         Joined in September, Resigned in May
2011/12     Hartlepool Utd   England       League 2         -           -

Want to catch up on previous seasons before the current one? Here are the past season overviews.

2010-11 Dunfermline Athletic.

CURRENT SEASON:

hartlepool-badge.gif

1112hartlepool.gif

Nickname: The Monkey Hangers.

Ground: Victoria Park.

Capacity: 7,787.

Fierce Rivals: Darlington.

Hartlepool popped up and offered me a job two weeks after leaving my post at East End Park with Dunfermline. My stay there wasn't particularly memorable, and there was nothing there that made me want to stay. However what attracted me to Hartlepool was the much larger wage budget. They had been relegated from the Npower League 1 last season, and I knew that this would be a good chance to win my first title as a manager. At first glance the squad was not great, but on further inspection, there are some good players. Gary Liddle, Fabian Yantorno, King Gyan and Ronny. It was evident that the past manager had been very active in the transfer window, and perhaps this is what led to relegation, a disjointed team.

Summer Signings: None.

Updates: None.

First post updated for the new season, signed a one-year deal at Hartlepool.

Thanks Deisler, hopefully I'll stick around for at least 2 seasons at Hartlepool, Dunfermline just weren't going anywhere with their financial troubles.

EDIT: Just discovered that Hartlepool are also in financial struggles, and when the 1st of July came, half of my squad left. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a lot of players.

hartlepool-badge.gif

Preseason Update.

preseasonresults.png

All of my preseason friendlies were very tough, and I'm proud that we came away from them having achieved something, two good results against good teams. The game against Motherwell was a very tight one, and a change from 4-4-2 to a 4-4-2 Diamond at half time seemed to make the difference, therefore I'll be using that as my main formation this season.

summertacticandlineup.png

As for transfers, I had been very busy signing the likes of Calvin Zola, Carl Cort, Rob Kozluk, Nick Ajose and Oliver Gill on free transfers. My team was rebuilt, above is what it will look like for the opening game, away at Port Vale.

summersignings.png

And here are all of my signings, costing a grand total of £0.

Bring on the league!

Archived