Football Manager Handheld 2011 iPhone/iPod Touch

I am from Taiwan. And I am disappointed why this game is not available from itune (Taiwan). Is there any reason why? Thank you for the answer and is it possible to make it available in Taiwan. Thank you

you could just create an english or american account and buy the game from their store?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently experiencing crashes when trying to load my savegame (both autosaved and saved regularly) on the iphone, which is quite frustrating. Other (earlier) savegames load perfectly, but if I try to load my latest save the app crashes and kicks me out to the home screen. Anyone else who has seen this? Is there a way I can submit a bug report?

• SI Staff
I'm currently experiencing crashes when trying to load my savegame (both autosaved and saved regularly) on the iphone, which is quite frustrating. Other (earlier) savegames load perfectly, but if I try to load my latest save the app crashes and kicks me out to the home screen. Anyone else who has seen this? Is there a way I can submit a bug report?

In theory I should get a report from Apple automatically about any crashes which occur with the game - in practice I think I only see the 'most common' ones reported.

One thing I am hoping to do with the first update is to 'open up' the save game area for the game so that anyone who has a problem or concern can send me their save game so I can look into it in more detail than just asking questions.

• SI Staff
For some reason, I did not think this worked with the IPad? As it only states IPod and Iphone in the thread title?

Cheers

It works fine on any iDevice, that is - iPad, iPhone or iTouch.

On an iPad it runs as a scaled up iPhone application at present (which is very playable and presentable imho - its how I most frequently play the game actually :D).

It works fine on any iDevice, that is - iPad, iPhone or iTouch.

On an iPad it runs as a scaled up iPhone application at present (which is very playable and presentable imho - its how I most frequently play the game actually :D).

Have been thinking about getting an IPad for a while, I really enjoyed FM on the IPhone so bigger screen to play it on would be great. Thanks Marc :)

Dear SI,

I decided to splash the cash and download a copy of FM2011 for my iPhone 4. So far my impressions are positive especially with the speed of loading times. I now tend to start off managing clubs at smaller foreign leagues so have been trying my hand at the Wellington Phoenix in the Hyundai A-League. So far so good as I'm top of the league unbeaten after four games.

I do have some feedback and questions I would like to direct your way. Firstly, with managing a club in such an inferior league, are my successes likely to gain the attention of clubs in more established leagues elsewhere such as the Premier League, Serie A and Liga BBVA? For example, say I have a very successful period with Wellington Phoenix winning titles and cups, if I applied for a top job in England, would I be considered a strong candidate or would the fact that my successes have occurred in weaker leagues, would I be seen as inexperienced for a team in a stronger league. Whilst I'm on the subject of managing in the Hyundai A League, are there only a maximum of four subs within a match day squad? I'm only able to selects substitutes from S1 - S4.

One of the biggest concerns I had when buying this game was the frequency of player injuries. I read some of the posts found in this forum and noted that there did seem to be some concern at the high level of injuries. My experience so far has supported this concern as after four games into a season, my squad received five injuries. One injury was received 12 minutes into the first game of the season which resulted in my left back being out for 14 days. The other four have occurred in training sessions with injuring ranging from 10 days to a month. I don't understand how this happens? I'm still getting to grips with the training side of things so pretty much everyone is on 'general' for their training schedule unless they have received an injury and then I put them on 'fitness'. I would like to know what your thoughts are on the amount of injuries I have received so far - five player injuries seems excessive after only four games into the season.

I also have a question with the role of captaincy and the leadership ability. I note that you are unable to select a captain, yet each player has a rating for leadership. Am I right to assume that a player with the highest rating of leadership will be nominated as team captain? I would find this strange as you have the ability to select set-piece and penalty takers - why not captain as well? Can I also ask what it is I'm looking for when selecting a player for freekick taker? Is this a player who will whip balls into the box (so therefore select someone who has good crossing ability) or is it someone who will shoot on goal directly (so someone with good shooting ability).

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• SI Staff
also have a question with the role of captaincy and the leadership ability. I note that you are unable to select a captain, yet each player has a rating for leadership. Am I right to assume that a player with the highest rating of leadership will be nominated as team captain? I would find this strange as you have the ability to select set-piece and penalty takers - why not captain as well?

I might add the ability to select a captain in a future version - you are correct that the game selects the most sensible person to captain the side, although EVERYONE in your team has an effect on each other with regards to leadership.

Can I also ask what it is I'm looking for when selecting a player for freekick taker? Is this a player who will whip balls into the box (so therefore select someone who has good crossing ability) or is it someone who will shoot on goal directly (so someone with good shooting ability).

For free-kicks I'd recommend selecting for shooting ability generally - if a freekick isn't considering 'in shooting range' then the game won't specifically use the freekick taker for it.

I might add the ability to select a captain in a future version - you are correct that the game selects the most sensible person to captain the side, although EVERYONE in your team has an effect on each other with regards to leadership.

For free-kicks I'd recommend selecting for shooting ability generally - if a freekick isn't considering 'in shooting range' then the game won't specifically use the freekick taker for it.

Thanks for the advice Mark. Any comments on only having up to four subs in a match day squad, the status of a successful manager managing in foreign leagues, and the frequency of injuries?

Cheers.

• SI Staff
Thanks for the advice Mark. Any comments on only having up to four subs in a match day squad, the status of a successful manager managing in foreign leagues, and the frequency of injuries?

I've tuned the frequency of the injuries slightly for the patch, although these hadn't actually changed from the FMHi 2010 version of the game I think some of the tactical options have allowed people to tire players out more and cause more injuries by the additional tactical adjustments. Once the update is out I'll be again listening for feedback from people in this regard.

With regards to the number of subs, this is specified by the rules of the league you're active within - I'll double check the A-League but I expect its correct for that competition.

I've tuned the frequency of the injuries slightly for the patch, although these hadn't actually changed from the FMHi 2010 version of the game I think some of the tactical options have allowed people to tire players out more and cause more injuries by the additional tactical adjustments. Once the update is out I'll be again listening for feedback from people in this regard.

That's good news about tuning down the frequency for injuries. Since my last post, I have had four further injuries. Three in training (damaged neck - about a month; strained neck - ten days and a broken shoulder - about a month). The other injury was sustained in a game and was a damaged heel - out for two weeks. Highly frustrating.

• SI Staff

Lilywhite Dean - can I just ask what training regime you're using (ie. is it the default one or have you changed it?) and what tactical setup do you have - I can then use it here as part of our testing for the forthcoming update.

Lilywhite Dean - can I just ask what training regime you're using (ie. is it the default one or have you changed it?) and what tactical setup do you have - I can then use it here as part of our testing for the forthcoming update.

With regards to the training regime, it is the default one with everyone on 'general' bar the goalkeepers. My tactical setup is:

Team mentality: attacking

Passing style: direct

Tackling: cautious

Pressing: No

Offside trap: No

Counter attack: No

Men behind ball: No

Thanks.

• SI Staff
Thanks for your help :), is there a decrease in quality because of the screen size do you know?

The screens scaled up but it looks clear and precise and tbh I don't notice anything unless I look for it (if you look carefully at the edges of some of the larger buttons in the corners the rounding isn't quite as well 'round' as it could be - but thats about it really).

What you will notice is its blooming fast on an iPad :D

The screens scaled up but it looks clear and precise and tbh I don't notice anything unless I look for it (if you look carefully at the edges of some of the larger buttons in the corners the rounding isn't quite as well 'round' as it could be - but thats about it really).

What you will notice is its blooming fast on an iPad :D

The wife has let me know I am spending too much time in the spare room on the PC on FM 2011, so the IPad seems a good option as I will be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak, which is play FM and still spend time with the other half in the lounge whilst she watches some garbage on TV :D.

Also Mark do you know if you will be making a seperate version for the IPad in the coming months/years?

• SI Staff

Hold down the on/off button and then press the 'Home' button at the same time - the screen should flash and a picture will be saved on the device.

When you sync it next time you'll have the chance to transfer it across from the device to a PC/Mac.

Any chance of implementing another way to do that?

I don't currently have another working computer.

The screengrab is saved into your Photos app under a Saved Photos folder. Tap on a screengrab to bring it up and then you can print or email it to someone with a working computer.

Or photobucket (where I upload my screen shots) have an iPhone app for uploading and sharing photos from your iphone. There's probably other ways too. Try googling it.

I do find it easier to transfer them to my Mac and then upload them with the photobucket website. But that's just my preferences as I like to edit them and organise them and it's easier to do that on a computer.

• SI Staff
hello id like to point out on the ipod version of fm 11 if you go on to find club England then other look for lowestoft town none of them players actually play for lowestoft they are my local team and i think they should fix it they have just put made up names on there

If a club doesn't have the real players in the database then the game will generate 'virtual' players for that club (they display in grey and if you click to their profiles you'll notice they don't have histories etc.). This is normally the case for inactive teams (ie. those which aren't in leagues active in the game) which are of a small reputation.

This is to ensure that the game plays sensibly and is viable upon restricted platforms such as handheld devices (although FM PC does exactly the same thing for some teams), as time goes on and the platforms increase in power I hope there will be less such players in the game and more real-players (the database presently contains approximately 20,000 players and in the february update I'm hoping to expand it further).

• 2 weeks later...

hi i am experiencing random crashes on my ipod touch 4 while playing fm handheld 2011, especially after when the game is loading or when i just clicked continue game. The game would quit unexpectedly and any unsaved games lost, its really pretty frustrating. any ideas how this can be overcome?

• SI Staff
hi i am experiencing random crashes on my ipod touch 4 while playing fm handheld 2011, especially after when the game is loading or when i just clicked continue game. The game would quit unexpectedly and any unsaved games lost, its really pretty frustrating. any ideas how this can be overcome?

The most common cause of problems with applications on an iPhone is simply that the device needs fully rebooting, if this isn't done semi-regularly then the memory on the device can become fragmented and in extreme cases make things unstable.

To fully reboot a device hold down the power button for a couple of seconds, a page will appear which indicates 'swipe to power off' - swipe on that as indicated and the device should fully power down. Then restart the device and hopefully you'll find things more stable.

PS - Just to double check, what version of the game are you using as an update was released a a few weeks ago if you haven't upgraded yet.

Archived