Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

Juni, I still stand by what I said regarding Wenger replacing Vieira, and while still young and largely unproven, I think Diaby is that replacement. It took time to replace Anelka, Henry didn't settle instantly, and I never once said Wenger would buy in a ready made Paddy clone, so I'm willing to wait.

Regarding my thoughts on the funding, it's hardly rocket-science, is it? 90% of world football is skint atm, times are getting harder for teams when it comes to spending the big bucks (a few exceptions of course), so I hardly see how my comments can be seen than anything other than the truth.

However, your comments, while not complete sh*te, certainly don't smell right. Especially the Jose comments icon_biggrin.gif Made my thoughts on that clown clear on more than one occasion.

Oh, and I never doubted Hleb icon_cool.gif

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Cesc should have his own special rating system as he is incomparable to any other youngster on the planet due to his utter, utter fbness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fret ye not, I hath incorporated the Cesc-ometer into my game via the Data Editor.

Got it spot on too, he got his first cap at exactly the same time as he did in real life. icon_cool.gif

DISCLAIMER: I am not, repeat NOT after the Arsenal researching spot. This clearly belongs to goon.

well yeah I arsed that up

Le Mans coach Frederic Hantz has invited Arsenal to "discuss" a deal for 'keeper Yohann Pele, who they have watched over 20 times this season.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is keen to recruit a long-term replacement for German stopper Jens Lehmann this summer - and 23-year-old Pele is top of his wanted list.

Arsenal scouts have watched the 6ft 4ins goalkeeper several times and sent back glowing reports for a player who has helped Le Mans reach ninth place in France's Ligue 1 after 31 games.

Hantz claims Pele is also being monitored by a string of other clubs and said: "We are of Arsenal but he is being watched by many clubs.

"If a big club makes an offer we could discuss it."

"After fielding Niall Quinn for a Thailand Premier League match earlier this month,BEC Tero Sasana have lined up another celebrated former Arsenal star for action,Tony Adams.

While Quinn only played one game,Adams,39,who captained both England and Arsenal,is expected to play in a number of matches.His first appearance will be April 22 and he is expected to play until the league finishes.

President of BEC Tero Sasana Brian Marcar said it was all designed to improve the standard of football in Thailand."It will help the development of Thai players and also promote Thai football,"he said.

"Although Niall only played one match it was a good start.Tony will play untill the league ends."

He said at the end of March Arsenal executives will come to pick two Thai players aged 16-18 to go and train in England with the Gunners."

(Bangkok Post,24/3/06.)

Arsene doing his reputation no good there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Iwonder who would win in a bout of fisticuffs.

Jens Lehmann vs Oliver Kahn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lehmann would kill him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

If they're Thai we'd better check their tackle first... just in case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon15.gif

Stupid question... never underestimate the power of complete madness in a fight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Oliver Kahn is a rational, controlled and passive individual...?

It'd be a teutonic bitch fight of forgettable proportions; Jens trying to gouge out the sketchy albino's eyes, while Kahn tugs desperately at Lehmann's Hasselhoff...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

"Pele signs for Arsenal." icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet he's rubbish at keepie-uppies.

Khan is mad.... Lehmann is completely stark bonkers. Lehmann wins in the nutcase stakes any day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the fight stakes it's a tough one to call.

At least Jens is undisputably the better goalkeeper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Jens would just stare him to death. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the gum-chewing adds to the overall intimidation factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the most respected figures in German football cannot raise themselves above this conflict, what hope have Kahn and Lehmann got? When the Gunners star was asked if he ever spoke to Kahn (who hit the headlines last year when he left his wife for a young party-animal), he replied: "What would we talk about? I don't have a 24-year-old wife." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the most respected figures in German football cannot raise themselves above this conflict, what hope have Kahn and Lehmann got? When the Gunners star was asked if he ever spoke to Kahn (who hit the headlines last year when he left his wife for a young party-animal), he replied: "What would we talk about? I don't have a 24-year-old wife." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

i don't know if thats a put down or a icon14.gif

2. REDaction message

from Steve Goodwin "I think most true Arsenal fans realize the importance of Thierry to our club. Obviously if he leaves then the club will go on and we have to respect his decision. However I'm sure most will agree it will be a setback to say the least for a young and developing team.

We have it on very good authority that the contract on offer is like nothing else the club have ever offered to a player before. Thierry is just not sure whether to stay simply for purely footballing reasons.

A few of us have had an idea therefore that might just might help him in his decision.

Let's start a campaign for Thierry to stay by writing in postcards to him care of the club. If we get cards coming in from all the fellow Arsenal supporters we know then the combined effect might reassure the great man that Ashburton Grove should be the furthest he has to travel for his new home next season.

Just buy a postcard send it in, maybe something like: 'Thierry, stay and lead us to our new home', will suffice, just anything. Even if you don't want to do it, get your kids or even grandkids to do it. Lets not sit there and then moan when he has gone that the supporters should have done something. Write to: Thierry Henry, c/o Arsenal FC, Avenell Road, Highbury, London N5 1BU.

Please pass this onto ALL the other Gooners you know and let's get the ball rolling."

Christ on a bike.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Wenger eyes flat in West Stand development

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger is interested in buying an apartment in Highbury’s West Stand.

Work will begin on the re-development of Arsenal’s famous old ground once the club is safely ensconced at Emirates Stadium next season.

The Frenchman missed out on purchasing the apartment that will occupy his dug-out area. That proves that even Wenger needs to be quick. Around 80 per cent of apartments released have now been sold and the last remaining units go on sale on Saturday.

“I am, yes. I think I will,†replied Wenger when asked if he was interested in a West Stand property. “I first wanted to buy my dug-out but it has gone already. I was a little bit late for the East Stand.

“It is an interesting street over there because they have space behind the West Stand. It is looks a little bit more of a boulevard than the East Stand, and the tube station is very close. You have the feeling you can move anywhere in London.â€

Anyone interested in following Wenger’s lead, click here for more information

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

quite funny, at least he will be closer to work

Shouldn't you start a "free the Arsenal One" campaign ala Deidre? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, it pains me too say this but good luck against Juventus, how many of your players are going to be back for the first/second legs?

And when the hell will Ashley Cole be back?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Did Arsenal not play yesterday due to Wicks' banning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mark of respect icon_smile.gif

he was a total legend icon_frown.gif

Fortuitous turn of events on saturday evening I feel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Juventus manager Fabio Capello believes that Arsenal have the upper hand ahead of the UEFA Champions League quarter final after their game with Portsmouth was called off on Saturday.

The game at Fratton Park was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, giving The Gunners extra rest ahead of the visit of the Serie A leaders on Tuesday.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein insisted that the club were keen to play, although the Pompey camp were not happy with the decision of referee Mike Riley.

Juve's own preparations saw them draw 1-1 with Roma in a tough game on Saturday as The Bianconeri lost forward Alessandro Del Piero to a thigh injury which rules him out of the first leg at Highbury, and Capello believes the opportunity to have a weekend's rest has worked in Arsene Wenger's favour.

"I'm sorry about having had such a tough challenge ahead of the game with Arsenal, especially as they haven't played," said Capello.

"Arsenal have a slight advantage because we played and they didn't, and because we played for half of the match with only ten men."

Capello was also pleased with the performance of Patrick Vieira in the draw with Roma, with the French star preparing to return to the stadium where he enjoyed nine glory-laden years.

Vieira left The Premiership to move to Juve in the summer and Capello is backing his midfield colossus to show Wenger what he is missing on Tuesday.

"He is a very good personality so he will play a wonderful game," Capello added.

Del Piero may not have started against The Gunners anyway with Juve also boasting Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Trezeguet in their ranks, and the Italian international believes his injury will not prove to be serious.

"I don't think it's anything particularly serious," said Del Piero. "It's a shame."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Del Piero out too. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arsenal are reported to be closing in on the signing of Legia Warsaw teenager Wojciech Szczesny.

Reports emanating from Poland claim that Arsenal have agreed a deal with Legia for the young goalkeeper.

The Gunners have been tracking the 16-year-old for some time and Szczesny enjoyed a trial period with the club last December.

Liverpool, Bolton and Aston Villa are all believed to have shown an interest in Szczesny, but Arsenal are ready to steal a march on their rivals by luring him to Highbury.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has shown he is keen to plan for the future by bringing in young players and Szczesny could be the next promising starlet to join the ranks at the club.

The Gunners are believed to have agreed a nominal fee with Legia for Szczesny and that a three-year deal is on the table for him.

Legia have a reputation for helping groom young goalkeepers with Manchester United thought to be trailing current number one Lukas Fabianski.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From skysports

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal have become the latest club to show an interest in Chelsea defender William Gallas, according to the player's agent.

The France international is thought to be unhappy with his situation of playing in a variety of different positions for Jose Mourinho's side, with Gallas having been strongly linked with a summer move to Italy.

Serie A giants Milan and Juventus are thought to be keen on luring the 28-year-old from Stamford Bridge, but London rivals Arsenal look to have also thrown their name into the hat regarding the former Caen and Marseille player.

Gallas's Chelsea contract runs until the summer of 2008, but the player's agent in Issa Traore confirmed that Milan and The Gunners have expressed interest in his client.

"Milan are interested and so are Arsenal," Traore told the Daily Mirror

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a photo in the Mirror today of a 16 year-old Zlatan Ibrahimovic in an Arsenal number 9 shirt when he was on trial with us.

One of two players who could come back to haunt us.

Of course we have one who could come back to haunt them too...

Archived