Why November 5th?

Finally on the last line I pretty much translate things like that into "I don't want anyone disagreeing with me", it saves a lot of time and bother on my part. If you are going to say something which is contentious you are going to get an arguement (which is simply people with differing points of view stating their opinions, nothing else) so if you don't want an arguement just stick to "I like puppies/kittens (delete as preferred)" type of posts in future.

Refering to this; I really don't want this to provoke argument but to provoke conversation.

I alway's knew that by posting this subject some people would find it a little "contentious". I would never discourage a persons view (in my private life or work life) even if it differed from mine. Far from it I actively encourage new view's/idea's at work and different methods of doing things.

I find it sad that many people now adays cant have differing view's and not talk about it construcively without it turning into an argument! That's simply what I meant. I have never said this is my view and its right, I wanted to see what other people thought and maybe get an idea of the workings of the game (which I did put in my first post).

Thanks to Matt and Ter one myth that has been dispelled is that FM are not bothered about releasing there game at the same time as other similar genre game's. Which I find interesting.

Another reason for a later release which hasnt been mentioned would be the time it takes to market and promote the game once near completion.

There is a joke; "arguing on a forum is like entering the special olympics," I will leave the punch line out, due to not being "pc". Defiently puppies ( I have two Dogs), kittens are ok but then they turn into Cats!!! ;)

Not sure why there is a thread of this nature, SI dont need to explain there selfs to the general public why they do or dont release a game on a certain date, if i was running a game company and had the same asked to me why Nov 5th, i would politely say mind your own business.

Thanks to Matt and Ter one myth that has been dispelled is that FM are not bothered about releasing there game at the same time as other similar genre game's. Which I find interesting.

Another reason for a later release which hasnt been mentioned would be the time it takes to market and promote the game once near completion.;)

FM being a PC game and commanding a very loyal fanbase generally helps us have some confidence when releasing against heavyweight competition. We've not yet had a huge disruption to sales based on anyone else - be interesting to see whether GT5 does have an effect.

As for time to market once finished - that doesn't really happen with videogames any more. They cost so much to make that you need to get them to market once they're complete so you tend to run your marketing in parallel with your development. It's probably the most time consuming thing we do as marketers - as some of the stuff you want to show isn't available until the game is near the end of development etc. Again - not such an issue with FM, but for example on Total War, it's more of a challenge.

Mostly, its just common sense on FM...:)

Not sure why there is a thread of this nature, SI dont need to explain there selfs to the general public why they do or dont release a game on a certain date, if i was running a game company and had the same asked to me why Nov 5th, i would politely say mind your own business.

It's good to talk...;)

FM being a PC game and commanding a very loyal fanbase generally helps us have some confidence when releasing against heavyweight competition. We've not yet had a huge disruption to sales based on anyone else - be interesting to see whether GT5 does have an effect.

As for time to market once finished - that doesn't really happen with videogames any more. They cost so much to make that you need to get them to market once they're complete so you tend to run your marketing in parallel with your development. It's probably the most time consuming thing we do as marketers - as some of the stuff you want to show isn't available until the game is near the end of development etc. Again - not such an issue with FM, but for example on Total War, it's more of a challenge.

Mostly, its just common sense on FM...:)

Ok, that's two myths gone. Dispell the rest and then we can get the game out next year on the 1st September..... lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Your points about the data, gooner steve? That's fairly simple too.

We could of course look at moving the release date to whenever we wanted given time to do it - i.e. if we decided May was the best time to release so we could model the data on real data nearer to the end of the season rather than trying to predict the outcome of the season we'd probably have to delay the next game by 6 months - so FM 12 would theoretically then come out in May 2012 rather than late 2011. So in theory, we could also do a September release.

However, the window that we normally occupy is the preferred one for a number of reasons;

- It actually does take about that amount of time to get the new seasons data into the game, verified, tested and manufactured. September 1st to end of October is normally about 8 weeks... that gives SI around 5 weeks and manufacturing around 3.

- We prefer to do that and release the game "fresh" at the beginning of the season - it's served us well. If we released in September, we'd be using data from about 8 weeks before - so on the day the game came out, it'd be miles out of date in terms of missing all the summer transfers. I know we could patch it, but not everyone uses the patch, etc.

- It's a good commercial window to release the game in in the run up to Christmas etc. And it's good company for our fans on those long, cold, lonely winter nights...

In short - we're not likely to move the release date dramatically any time soon (touch wood).

Archived