Seperated

HunterKiller

How could this happen?

I watched Sarah loading bags and suitcases into the waiting car through the smeared window of our flat. Well, my flat now, I suppose. That thought alone brought the threat of tears back to my eyes, stinging like salt in an open wound.

The car boot slammed down. Sarah looked upwards, the wavy brunette hair that I had loved to touch flowing in the wind. She raised a hand; I turned away. The car motor started and drove away. That was that then. 5 years of our lives down the swanny, and for what?

I slumped down in the cheap, faded armchair that now dominated the newly empty lounge, wishing I had some vicious alcohol to numb myself for the rest of the day. We had had arguments before, me and Sarah, great screaming matches that sounded that must have convinced anyone within a five-mile radius that World War III had finally kicked off. They had always blown over before like a tropical storm, leaving a day or two of sulking wreckage and clearer air behind. We both had short tempers, but secretly enjoyed the intense, volatile nature of our relationship. The last fight had been different, though.

It had been coming for a while, ever since I had taken the manager’s job at Londerzeel. Just over four years ago, Sarah had been offered a management position in the Belgian arm of the import company she worked for. Jumping at the chance to leave dreary England, I had quit my job as a car salesman and we had packed up and left. We had enough saved up to fund a flat in Brussels on Steenstraat and fit it out with cheap furniture. Two months of boredom followed, as I searched fruitlessly for a job, not knowing what I wanted to do.

Then, I spotted an ad in the paper; Londerzeel, a local non-league football team based about six miles from the centre of Brussels, were looking for a kit-man/groundsman, immediate start. After sending a CV and attending an interview, I had the job, more through enthusiasm than anything. The 2006/7 season was a great one for the team, gaining promotion to the Third Division B. I enjoyed the camaraderie, and even helped with training and tactics discussions with the then manager, Dirk Pauwels. However, in the weeks before preseason was due to start, the entire coaching staff were poached by richer, more established clubs, leaving me as the only member of staff left on the payroll, Pauwels himself moving to Tournai.

Before long, I was called to the chairman’s office. Frank Verbesselt looked close to tears; on the eve of the club’s first season in the Third Division, everything he had built looked like crashing down. With no time left to appoint a manager before the start of the season, he offered me a caretaker’s position, which I accepted without a second thought. Mainly because the money was better. His last words were:

“Keep us off the bottom Sam, and the job’s yoursâ€

How could this happen?

I watched Sarah loading bags and suitcases into the waiting car through the smeared window of our flat. Well, my flat now, I suppose. That thought alone brought the threat of tears back to my eyes, stinging like salt in an open wound.

The car boot slammed down. Sarah looked upwards, the wavy brunette hair that I had loved to touch flowing in the wind. She raised a hand; I turned away. The car motor started and drove away. That was that then. 5 years of our lives down the swanny, and for what?

I slumped down in the cheap, faded armchair that now dominated the newly empty lounge, wishing I had some vicious alcohol to numb myself for the rest of the day. We had had arguments before, me and Sarah, great screaming matches that sounded that must have convinced anyone within a five-mile radius that World War III had finally kicked off. They had always blown over before like a tropical storm, leaving a day or two of sulking wreckage and clearer air behind. We both had short tempers, but secretly enjoyed the intense, volatile nature of our relationship. The last fight had been different, though.

It had been coming for a while, ever since I had taken the manager’s job at Londerzeel. Just over four years ago, Sarah had been offered a management position in the Belgian arm of the import company she worked for. Jumping at the chance to leave dreary England, I had quit my job as a car salesman and we had packed up and left. We had enough saved up to fund a flat in Brussels on Steenstraat and fit it out with cheap furniture. Two months of boredom followed, as I searched fruitlessly for a job, not knowing what I wanted to do.

Then, I spotted an ad in the paper; Londerzeel, a local non-league football team based about six miles from the centre of Brussels, were looking for a kit-man/groundsman, immediate start. After sending a CV and attending an interview, I had the job, more through enthusiasm than anything. The 2006/7 season was a great one for the team, gaining promotion to the Third Division B. I enjoyed the camaraderie, and even helped with training and tactics discussions with the then manager, Dirk Pauwels. However, in the weeks before preseason was due to start, the entire coaching staff were poached by richer, more established clubs, leaving me as the only member of staff left on the payroll, Pauwels himself moving to Tournai.

Before long, I was called to the chairman’s office. Frank Verbesselt looked close to tears; on the eve of the club’s first season in the Third Division, everything he had built looked like crashing down. With no time left to appoint a manager before the start of the season, he offered me a caretaker’s position, which I accepted without a second thought. Mainly because the money was better. His last words were:

“Keep us off the bottom Sam, and the job’s yoursâ€

“Ever since you took that stupid football job, you’ve had less and less time for me Sam. I sometimes think you’d rather live with that bloody chairman.†Sarah sneered.

“I’ve finally found something I’m good at Sarah, and you can’t bear it that I’m being successful can you? You knew about the longer hours when I took it on, and we need the money.â€

“Oh yes, I’d forgotten, you need the money for your drinking problem, don’t you?†she screamed, “Don’t worry about our ****ing relationship!â€

The row had started, as it always did, around our anniversary. Looking back now, I had been in the wrong. We had booked a restaurant for seven, and had a really good night planned, until I got a call from one of my scouts, alerting me to the availability of one of my long-term targets.

“Better be quick though boss, he won’t be available for long†were his words.

Before I knew it, three hours had passed as I tried to work out the finer details of the contract with the player, constantly on my mobile. Flushed with success, I had glanced at my watch and realised it was gone nine. By the time I got to the restaurant it was too late. Sarah stormed out as soon as she spotted me, and we started screaming at each other in the street.

“I don’t have a ****ing drinking problem!†I bellowed, “Do you have any idea how stressed I’ve been, and how well I’ve done? This team was nothing when I started, and we got to the playoffs last year, all without spending anything on players. You’ve never given me any credit, and it’s really starting to **** me off Sarah.â€

She looked me in the eyes then, saying “You missed our anniversary Sam. Our five-year anniversary. And why? Because you were playing at being a manager of your little team. Well, I’ve had enough. I’ve been offered a transfer back to England. I wasn’t going to take it, but..†she trailed off, shrugging.

And that was why I was sitting on my own, in a flat that still smelled of her, cursing my stubbornness and wishing for oblivion.

Good opening HunterKiller, the narrative is excellent, the descriptive writing is flowing and keeps the interest up. If it carries on in this way you will have many a reader. KUTGW icon14.gif

July 2nd, 2010

The beeping of my mobile roused me from a fitful doze.

“Uhm?â€

“Boss, its Patrick,†Londerzeel’s assistant manager, “We have our first friendly tomorrow.â€

Of course, preseason. Understandably, the team had been at the back of my mind for the last couple of days.

“Listen Pat, I’m still feeling pretty under the weather. Can you take care of the preseason for me for now? I’ll be back soon, but I feel like **** at the moment.â€

“Sure boss†he replied, with a note of concern in his voice, “Anything I can get you, or help you with?â€

“No thanks Pat, I’m sure I’ll be OK. Just give me a couple of days, and make sure you keep me up to date.â€

With that, I hung up. I stretched, wincing at the stiffness in my back from sleeping in the armchair. I still couldn’t face sleeping alone in the bed Sarah and I had shared for so long, and it was playing merry hell with my back. I shuffled over to the fridge: some milk, a bit of butter, some wilted lettuce and half a crate of Belgian beer. Easy decision.

July 3rd, 2010

I woke up with a pounding head, and a mouth like the back end of a camel. Reaching for my mobile to check the time (11pm), I noticed I had a voicemail.

“Sam, it’s Pat. Just thought I’d bring you up to speed on the friendly tonight. We had a 2-2 draw with Bertrix, with Matthys and Hugaerts scoring. We looked a bit rusty, but not too bad in general. Matthys has some bruising to his ribs, but he should only be out for about a week. Give me a call when you’re ready to come back, take care of yourself Sam.â€

Pat’s report cheered me slightly, despite the horrific hangover. Matthys was a young striker, signed on a free who had impressed my scouts, while Hugaerts was a young centre-back on loan from parent club KV Mechelen. Then I remembered Sarah, and depression settled on me like a black shroud.

July 9th, 2010

Days had passed like grey, scudding clouds. Every day seemed the same: stumble out from the armchair, make a cup of tea, maybe some toast, then start on the beer and brood. My mood was not helped by the news that we had lost 2-0 away at Temse in a friendly, and according to Pat the team had been poor. Hopefully, the signing of Raoul Ngadrida on loan from parent club Mechelen should help to improve performance. He had had two loan spells with us before, and had performed well.

Thanks for the kind words sherm & QotS

July 13th, 2010

I was sitting in my familiar position, staring blankly out over the street, when there was an authoritative knock at the door. Being a couple of beers to the good (it was 2pm), my first thought was of Sarah.

Maybe she’s back, I thought! She’ll apologise, I’ll apologise, then everything will be back to normal. I’ll resign from Londerzeel if that’s what she wants, and we can rebuild the relationship. Maybe I’ll propose!

My heart leaping, my breath shortening, I bounded to the door. I took a deep breath, fixed a welcoming smile onto my face, and swung the door open….and saw three men standing there. My face fell.

Pat (assistant manager) was the first to break the uncomfortable silence:

“Hi Sam, how are you feeling?â€

I grunted, and turned away from the door. Pat exchanged glances with Gilbert (coach) and Sam Lavan (club captain), before all three edged nervously over the threshold. I slumped into the armchair, opening another beer.

“Look, Sam,†said Pat, “We just came over to see how you were. Some of the lads are worried, and, to be honest so are we.†The others nodded gravely.

I sighed, “Thanks for the concern and all, but I just need a bit of time off. Preferably alone,†I added, staring pointedly at the visitors.

“We’re just concerned about you boss,†Lavan insisted “Morale is dropping a bit really, and we just need to know what’s going on.â€

Anger flared. “You want to know what’s wrong?†I hissed, “I’ll tell you. I have just lost my girlfriend of five years, the only woman I’ve ever loved, because of that ****ing football club.â€

Stunned silence. “Now,†I added “I think you’ll understand why I do not currently give two short ****s about Londerzeel or my job at the current time. Any questions?â€

More silence. “Then I think you’d better leave.â€

They filed out, Pat stopping to drop a file amongst the empty beer bottles on the stained coffee table. I closed my eyes until I heard the door closing, then burst into tears.

Later, when I had recovered (thanks to a few more beers), I took a look at the report Pat had left in the flat.

KFC Lille 0 – 6 Londerzeel

Lavan (2), Keuppens, Omedjonga (3).

Omedjonga was another of the Mechelen youngsters we had presumably taken on loan for the season. Last season he had been a revelation, scoring 31 goals in 32 league games. I wished Pat luck with him for the season. One thing was for certain: I was not going back now.

July 20th, 2010

The fresh air and bright light sent spikes of pain through my head as I closed the door of the building behind me. Wincing, I stumbled the 30 yards down the street to the local shop that supplied the essentials (beer, cigarettes, potato snacks).

The bell over the door sounded as I walked in, prompting the appearance of an over-friendly shop assistant. He looked at me with pity, mingled with disgust, and I suddenly realised how I must look. Hair greasy and wild, three weeks worth of stubble and grimy clothes. **** him, I thought, picking up a crate of beer, some crisps and, out of habit, a copy of Sports Wereld. I paid and left, without making eye contact.

Back in the sanctuary of the flat, I cast my eye over the sports section of the paper. I hadn’t heard from Pat or anyone at Londerzeel in the past few days, so I was surprised to see a report of the recent friendly away at Speldorf.

Speldorf 1 – 7 Londerzeel

Ngadrida, Schockaert, Omedjonga (3), Junior Eduardo, Matthys

Turning the page, I scanned the main article. My mood changed from shock, to disbelief, to anger as I read through. How dare they?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fletcher’s Belgian Breakdown?

by Joost Verhelden

There are reports of trouble brewing at Third Division B side Londerzeel. English manager Sam Fletcher, now in his fourth year in charge of the club, has not been seen at either the club’s training ground or any of the team’s preseason fixtures, sparking rumours of personal strife.

Fletcher, 28, has lead little Londerzeel to exceptional league positions on the last three seasons, with the club finishing 12th, and eighth in his first two years, followed by last years 3rd place and subsequent playoff defeat. However, an insider at the club has told Sports Wereld that Fletcher has grown increasingly isolated in recent weeks, leaving the club entirely in the hands of assistant manager Patrick Vermeylen. The same insider also hinted at the Englishman’s increased reliance on alcohol as a contributing factor to his alleged depression.

No-one was available for comment at Londerzeel, and attempts to contact Mr Fletcher himself have failed. Many Londerzeel fans will be left wondering, though, whether he is now the appropriate man for the job, or whether the stress of managing the club has finally taken its toll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

“****,****,****,†I thought.

Then the phone rang.

Thanks rlipscombe, I’ll try not to disappoint!

“Er, hello?â€

“Is this Sam?†I recognised the voice of Elle, Frank Verbesselts PA.

“Yeah, it’s Sam, Elle. How are you?â€

“Much better than you, judging by the papers. Anyway, Mr Verbesselt would like to see you. Immediately.†Her normally jovial voice had turned frosty and business-like.

“Er, OK, will tomorrow do?†I was thinking hurriedly about time needed to make myself presentable. I was now determined to keep my job, if only to search out and painfully execute the ‘insider’ quoted in the paper.

“One hour†she replied, hanging up.

“****â€

Two hours later…

I shifted uncomfortably in the plastic chair outside the chairman’s office, feeling like a naughty schoolboy summoned to see the Headmaster. Elle had received me distantly, ushering me through efficiently and coldly with barely a word. I fingered my tie, wishing he would hurry up and call me in before the knot strangled me.

The imposing oak door opened, and Frank Verbesselt poked his head round. In his mid-fifties, Verbesselt was a small man, completely bald, with stress lines etched into his face who had made his money in finance. As such, he was cautious, constantly anxious, incredibly fussy yet shrewd. Today, however, his face was set in a scowl, which only deepened as his eyes met mine. Without a word, he beckoned me in.

Jesus, thought Verbesselt he looks like a vagrant dressing up for Christmas. Fletcher’s badly knotted tie was askew, his suit rumpled. His eyes looked like holes poked through a mattress by a lit cigarette, and his face was drawn and pale. When Verbesselt had first met the Englishman, he seemed alive, vital and enthusiastic. The man sitting across from him now seemed like a husk, drained of all that boundless energy.

“So, Samâ€, he began, motioning towards the paper open on his desk, “Care to elaborate on this for me?â€

I met Verbesselt’s eyes squarely, and all the stress, anxiety and anger of the past few weeks spilled out. Everything. Sarah, the drinking, the depression, everything. I even hinted at my recent suicidal tendencies. When I had finished (punctuated by occasional bursts of tears), I closed my eyes and stayed like that for five minutes, feeling as if a weight had been lifted. When I finally came back to the present, Verbesselt was sitting perfectly still, pity and shock fighting an equal battle on his face.

When he did speak, the words weren’t what I expected to hear.

July 22nd, 2010

I sat back in my office chair, feeling about as pleased as a man who is miserable as hell can. The team had performed admirably in the friendly against Arminia Hannover who, to be perfectly honest, had been outclassed from the first minute to the last.

Ngadrida set the ball rolling, firing confidently home after a poor defensive header from a corner after 16 minutes. 10 minutes later he had his second, played through by Mendy with a delightful ball. Omedjonga put us three up, running on to a cultured long ball (or ‘hoof’) from Lavan, before rounding the keeper and slotting home.

10 minutes into the second half it was four. Ngadrida was allegedly tripped by the substitute Krause in the area, and the penalty was confidently slotted home by young Legrand, a product of the Londerzeel youth system. On 67 minutes, we had another chance to score from the spot, after Omedjonga was tripped in the area. This time, Michel, another youngster was given the penalty responsibility which he fluffed, firing the spot kick over the bar. A flurry of substitutions disrupted our rhythm, and it wasn’t until the 84th minute that we added another, substitute Matthys continuing his promising start at the club by finishing coolly. Hannover pulled a goal back in the last minute, Pfoh tapping in after keeper Barrettara parried a goalbound shot.

Londerzeel 5 – 1 Arminia Hannover

Ngadrida (16,25), Omedjonga (35), Legrand (pen 56), Matthys (84)

Michel missed pen (67)

MoM: Ngadrida (9)

I had to admit, it was good being on the touchline again, and it took my mind of Sarah for 90 minutes if nothing else. The few fans present had greeted me with resounding cheers, and the atmosphere in the dressing room had been surprisingly upbeat. Combine that with the reassurances from the chairman, and I felt as good as I had since Sarah left. Now, looking around my familiar office, I felt at home. **** Sarah, I thought this is all I need now

August 1st, 2010

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Biggest Comeback Since Jesus? An Interview with Sam Fletcher

by Joost Verhelden

Following on from our exposé of Londerzeel’s manager Sam Fletcher, we were granted an interview with the man himself, two weeks before the first competitive game of the season.

JH: Hello Sam, how are you?

SF: Very well, thank you Joost. I’m feeling as good as I have for a month now.

That’s good to hear. Can you talk us through the last month or so from your point of view?

Sure, no problem. I suffered a messy break up with my fomer partner at the beginning of July, and I have to say it really knocked the stuffing out of me for a while. I’ve always had a bit of a weakness for drink, you see, and those events just exacerbated the problem. I was becoming isolated, withdrawn from daily life, I suppose, which was in turn impacting on my health and my management of the club.

And what turned things around for you?

Well, the main thing was the support I received from (Londerzeel chairman)

Frank Verbesselt. We had a chat the day your article came out, and he basically gave me his full support. The way I had been acting, hearing encouragement and positive things about myself was surprising, but just what I needed.

And are you still drinking?

No, not a drop for a week now. It’s pretty hard, and I’ve never drunk so many cups of teas! Seriously though, the coaching and playing staff have shown great loyalty to me, as have the fans, and I intend to fully repay their trust by leading the team to promotion this season. Sober.

Promotion? That’s an ambitious target isn’t it?

I don’t think so. Last season we showed we could live with the big boys by getting to the playoffs, and I feel that the squad is even stronger this year. I also feel that the fantastic supporters we have deserve to see their team playing in a bigger league, and I am confident that they will.

And finally, any more plans for the transfer market before the first game of the season?

We’ll see. I have a few targets I am monitoring at the moment. As you know, we already have a few good young talents on loan from Mechelen for the season (see below), but I will not hesitate to strengthen the squad further, should I see the need to.

Well, thanks for your time Sam. Best of luck for the season.

Thanks Joost. It’s good to be back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interview with Sports Wereld had been one of the conditions for continuing as manager, set by Verbesselt. Pleased with how it had come out, I scanned down the transfer summary, to see if they had their facts right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Transfers in:

Raphael Vinamont (Wetteren, Free)

Bernd Matthys (Willebroek, Free)

Geoffrey Barrettara (Bas-Oha, Free)

Frederic Schockaert (SK Lebekke, Free)

Loans in:

Joely Hugaerts, Jocelyn Omadjonga, Raoul Ngadrida, Willem Keuppens (all KV Mechelen, season-long)

Transfers out:

David Geeroms (Wetteren, £10k)

Sjors Thys (Dilbeek, £9k)

Tim Vercammen (Opstal, £8k)

7 players released on free transfers

Loans out:

Victor Buelens (Overijse, season-long) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

August 2nd, 2010

Ah, the monthly meeting. Present were Frank Verbesselt, Patrick (assistant manager), Sam Lavan (club captain) and Frank Roels, the supporter’s club chairman. I had never liked Roels; ever since I had been appointed he had been scheming behind my back, inventing complaints from the fans and turning every meeting into a heated affair. He smiled slimily at me as we took our seats in Verbesselt’s office, and I knew it was going to be one of those days.

We started by going over the aims for the season. I informed all present that I felt we had a squad capable of a top-half finish at worst, and that I would not be surprised if we repeated last year’s successes. We then moved onto finances. Verbesselt confirmed that we were still well inside the wage budget, and that the balance of the club, while still in the red, was recovering nicely. I was then asked to name my captain for the season. I confirmed that Sam Lavan, the solid Israeli defender, would continue as captain this season, with defensive midfielder Laurent Mendy replacing Davy de Smedt as vice-captain. My choices were approved by all present. Roels was then invited to present the views of the fanbase. He gave me a glance as he stood to speak. I braced myself.

“Overall, the fans are satisfied with the performance of the team.â€

I allowed myself to relax, slightly.

“However,†Roels continued “there are one or two complaints.â€

I let out a barely audible groan, and Verbesselt shot me a warning glance. I subsided.

“Many feel that Jan Verlinden is coming to the end of his usefulness to the club, and that Mr Fletcher should be actively seeking a replacement right-back.â€

I had been expecting this, and stood to reply: “I accept that Jan has not been at his best recently, and yes, he is not getting any younger. I feel, however, that we have adequate cover with young Jan Legrand, and Davy de Smedt can also play there if need be.â€

Pat, Frank and Sam all nodded in agreement and I took my seat again, flashing a brief triumphant smile at Roels.

“Also, the fans feel that Willem Keuppens is a bad signing. In fact,†he continued, looking me straight in the face “some are speculating that you must have been drunk when you agreed to take him on loan.†Roels then sat back down, grinning malevolently at me.

Everyone was stunned. I started forward at Roels, meaning to turn his face into a peeled tomato. Fortunately for me, Pat read my intentions, a grabbed me by the arm, whispering “He’s not worth it Sam. Come on, calm down boss. Hitting him won’t do any good.â€

I took three deep breaths before shaking off Pat’s hand and rising from my seat.

“Keuppens is a great prospect, and I am very pleased we have him on loan again. I am confident he will be able to settle here this season. He will be able to provide admirable backup to Mendy in the centre of the park, the fans just need to give him time.â€

With that, Verbesselt brought the meeting to a close. I cornered Roels outside on the way to his car, and tapped him on the shoulder.

“Ah, Sam†he said, turning, “What can I do for you? Want to go for a drink?â€

I was boiling inside, and wanted nothing more than to slam his head repeatedly on the bonnet of his battered Peugeot.

“Just wanted to thank you for your support†I replied, through gritted teeth.

“No problem Mr Fletcher. Just glad you’re back in charge.â€

“Yes, I am in charge, and I know I have the full support of the fans, whatever you say.â€

“Of course you do Mr Fletcher. For now at least. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do.â€

With that, he got into his car and started the engine, flashing me a cheery wave as he pulled away.

Bastard!

Squad Pen Pics

(All players Belgian nationality unless stated.)

Goalkeepers

Geoffrey Barrettara (27)

A new signing this season, Geoffrey has the look and attributes of a solid custodian. At 6’3 he is commanding and has great reflexes. Likely to be first choice.

Lieven De Veirman (30)

Did not convince me last season that he is consistent enough. If any of the three keepers are to leave, he is the favourite.

Alexis Sakalis (30)

Played well enough last season, but Barrettara has age on his side. Likely to be second choice.

Defenders

Thomas Geerinck (29)

A ‘Jack of all trades’, Thomas can play on the right, in the middle, or as a defensive midfielder. Useful as a utility player, but no more than that.

Sam Lavan (28, Israel)

Into his second season as club captain, Sam is a rock at the heart of the defence. Possibly the best permanent deal concluded to date, he can take penalties too!

Joely Hugaerts (21, on loan from KV Mechelen)

Joely looks a great prospect. Good in the air, strong and pacy, I see him and Lavan forming a solid defensive partnership this season.

Arne Vanden Eede (24)

A decent enough defender whose pace lets him down, Arne will be backup to Lavan and Hugaerts this season.

Jan Legrand (18)

A youth system product, Jan should get a few games at right back this year due to Verlinden’s recent form. Some consistent football will hopefully help him to mature as a player.

Jan Verlinden (33)

Jan’s career is now entering the final stages, and recent performances have confirmed that. Will have a fight on his hands to keep the right back spot ahead of young Legrand.

Filip Sluyts (30)

As the only senior left back on the squad, Filip’s place is secure for the moment. Will have to play slightly better than he did last season for this to continue, however.

Midfielders

William Keuppens (22, on loan from KV Mechelen)

Back for a second loan spell, Keuppens is solid enough. Will mainly be used as cover this season.

Laurent Mendy (28, Senegal)

Appointed vice captain this year, Laurent is determined and brave, the perfect defensive midfielder

Davy De Smedt (31)

Able to play in the middle or out on the right, Davy has been a great servant during my time here, with a record 202 total league appearances for the club. The presence of younger and fresher legs may limit his opportunities this season, however.

David Rico-Garcia (21)

A pacy winger that can play on either side, David will be an integral part of out challenge this year.

Adrien Roman Moreno (25)

Brave, a good passer and deadly finisher, Adrian lead the team in assists last year from the right wing. One of the best players currently at the club.

Frederic Schockaert (18)

I picked up this young left winger on a free in preseason; mark my words, this lad will be a star! He already has a great first touch and good technique.

Imad El Harchouni (22)

Not great technically for an attacking midfielder, but Imad has a very high workrate. Not quite good enough for us this season though.

Orazio Russo (32)

Technically a better player than his younger rival El Harchouni, Russo is still not at the level I need for this season.

Strikers

Junior Eduardo (29)

27 goals in three seasons has been a fair return from Junior. Has a knack of scoring as a substitute, which is probably where he’ll find most of his opportunities coming this season.

Bernd Matthys (19)

A good prospect, Bernd is a cool finisher in the mode of Michael Owen. Impressed during preseason.

Raoul Ngadrida (21, on loan from KV Mechelen)

Back for his third loan spell, Raoul is pacy with quick feet and a good work ethic. Definitely a starter.

Jocelyn Omedjonga (21, on loan from KV Mechelen)

I’m delighted we managed to secure Jocelyn for another season. He became a cult hero with the fans last year, scoring an incredible 31 goals in 32 games. I hope he can reproduce that form again..

Raphael Vinamont (22)

Another good prospect, Raphael has a clinical finish and great determination. May find his starting opportunities limited though.

Notes

Overall, a fairly small squad, with cover needed in the attacking midfielder role and at left back. Fortunately, there is still a lot of room left in the wage budget, and I will probably look to bring some players in before the league campaign kicks off.

August 14th, 2010

After a couple of uneventful weeks, during which I settled back into the old routine, it was time for the first competitive match of the season. Training, negotiations and general management duties had succeeded in taking my mind off my problems. And I was still sober.

As such, I felt more than ready to step back into the dugout for the cup match with Uccle Leo. I handed competitive debuts to Jan Legrand at right back, Barrettara in goal and Schockaert on the left wing. New signing Raphael Vinamont took his place on the bench, while loanees Hugaerts and Kueppens were ineligible.

The game started well, Ngadrida worrying the home back four with his pace and skill and testing keeper Vanhove twice in the first ten minutes. A goal was inevitable, and it came eventually, captain Lavan stroking home on 14 minutes after Omedjonga was tugged back by Kingsley Sarfa. Once the goal had gone in, we pressed for another, home keeper Vanhove superbly denying Omedjonga and Ngadrida. Just before half time, Omedjonga dispossessed the unfortunate Sarfa. Vanhove did well again to parry the shot, but strike partner Ngadrida was there to tap in the second goal of the game.

At half time, I had to bring off Ngadrida and Schockaert, who had both picked up knocks, to be replaced by Vinamont and Orazio Russo. The changes seemed to make little difference however, as Omedjonga continued to stretch both the home defence and keeper Vanhove. The third goal finally came; Rico-Garcia played Vinamont in with a delightful through ball, who unselfishly squared it to Omedjonga for a deserved goal. Debutant Legrand managed to give away a penalty in the last minute for a clumsy challenge in the box, but, in a moment symptomatic of Uccle Leo’s performance, sub Martens blazed the spot kick over.

Uccle Leo 0 – 3 Londerzeel

Lavan (pen 14), Ngadrida (44), Omedjonga (67)

MoM: Omedjonga (9)

Russo sustained a bruised jaw, keeping him out for up to two weeks.

The draw pitched us against Second Division Olympic Charleroi; definitely a test of our promotion credentials but something I and the team will relish.

August 21st, 2010

The previous week had been spent working on tactics and formations for the Charleroi game; in the end, I decided to keep an unchanged team and formation to keep consistency. We all knew that it would be a tough game, but as far as I was concerned, it was a win-win situation.

The first half was a surprisingly even affair, with chances at both ends and both keepers forced into saves. Charleroi were having the better of the possession overall, but great defending kept the score at nil nil at half time, Vanden Eede in particular playing well at centre-back.

We started the second half the stronger, forcing the home team back and applying a lot more pressure. Just after the hour mark, Eduardo (on for El Harchouni)was played through by Omedjonga. His powerful shot was well saved by Kudimbana, but Schockaert pounced on the rebound to score first goal for the club. The expected onslaught from Charleroi never materialised; in fact Mendy could have made the scoreline more comfortable had he not fluffed a simple chance in the last minute.

Olympic Charleroi 0 – 1 Londerzeel

Schockaert (64)

MoM: Schockaert (8)

The mood in the dressing room after the game could hardly have been more upbeat. Young Schockaert was grinning from ear to ear following his Man of the Match award, and, thanks to the champagne provided by Verbesselt, things were getting rowdy. I, of course, had avoided the alcohol, but still could not stop my face from stretching into a smile as I addressed the team, who fell mostly quiet as I stood in front of them.

“Well, lads, first of all congratulations on a superb result, I’m giving you tomorrow off! Go out and enjoy yourselves.â€

August 22nd, 2010

Relaxing back at the flat after a long, luxurious lie-in in a bed that now seemed familiar, I watched the draw for the Fifth Round of the cup. Would we get one of the big boys?

The answer was no. We came out of the hat after fellow Division 3B team Vise, who had done ‘the double’ over us last season. While it wasn’t the high-profile draw I had been hoping for, it did at least give us a chance of advancing in the competition. The tie was scheduled for Saturday 28th, giving me six days to prepare the team.

August 28th, 2010

The week leading up to our next match was as relaxed as I could make it. Vise were being touted (unfairly in my opinion) in the media as clear favourites, and I saw no need to pile any pressure on the players. There was, however, a quiet confidence around the club: after conquering Charleroi surely a club in the same league wouldn’t be able to beat us?

The day of the match dawned, and I made on change to the team that had overcome Charleroi in the last round, with Eduardo coming in for El Harchouni in midfield. We got the best possible start I could have hoped for, as Roman Moreno played Omedjonga through, who thumped the ball home. Vise looked shell-shocked, and keeper Van Belle was forced into a number of saves in the first ten minutes. The home side then woke up, and started to come back into the match; Barrettara needed to be at his best to keep us ahead. We always looked a danger on the break though, a quick free kick leading to Omedjonga finding fellow loanee Ngadrida who finished with aplomb. We held onto the two goal lead with very few scares until half-time.

Mendy had to come off during the break after sustaining a knock, being replaced by utility man Geerinck. We started to dominate the second half, and when Ngadrida was tripped in the area, captain Lavan stepped up to convert the penalty. 2 minutes later, it got worse for the home team. Ngadrida caused the problems again, being tugged back in the area, Lavan making no mistake for his second from the spot. We conceded five minutes later, however, a poor clearance from keeper Barrettara leaving Touzani with an open goal. I decided to pull off Ngadrida and Roman Moreno to keep them fresh, with Vinamont and Rico-Garcia entering the fray. We slackened off a bit in the last quarter of an hour, allowing far too many chances which were fortunately wasted. The last action of the match saw Lavan give away a penalty, which was converted, but it was all too late for Vise.

Vise 2 – 4 Londerzeel

Omedjonga (2), Ngadrida (34), Lavan (pens 66, 69)

MoM: Lavan (9)

They're not too bad Terk, just a bit zealous for me occcasionally icon_wink.gif

September 4th, 2010

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fletcher Faces a Century in Charge

by Joost Verhelden

Londerzeel’s upcoming clash against Bocholt on Sunday not only marks the start of a fresh season, but also sees the club’s troubled young manager take charge of his 100th game.

Sam Fletcher’s well-documented personal problems during the off-season have not affected the team’s performance so far this year. The team have comfortably advanced to the Sixth Round of the Belgian Cup, knocking out Second Division Charleroi in the process, with shrewd loan signings from parent club KV Mechelen providing the impetus.

Fletcher himself has played down the impending milestone. When asked, his response was “Yes, I’m aware of it, and no, I don’t think it will have any bearing on the game itself. I expect the players to give me 100% every week and this game will be no different. Our progress in the cup has proved to many people that we will be serious contenders this year, and our confidence has never been higher.â€

He may well be the only man connected with Londerzeel not to be concerned with the significance of Sunday’s match. Club chairman Frank Verbesselt has recently declared Fletcher’s ongoing tenure as boss as “One of the best things to happen to Londerzeel for a long time.†Supporter’s chairman Frank Roels has also been effusive in his praise for the Englishman, adding that the travelling supporters on Sunday will give him a “special reception.â€

We at Sport Wereld would like to wish Londerzeel and Mr Fletcher the best of luck for Sunday and for the rest of the season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I folded the paper up, placing it carefully on the spotless coffee table while I collected my thoughts. The piece had been generally complimentary, but I wasn’t sure I liked the use of the ‘troubled’ adjective. Still, Verbesselt had been as supportive in private as he obviously had been in public, and even Frank Roels had come up with something not-completely malicious, through gritted teeth no doubt. In fact, Roels had been very accomodating at the last meeting, praising the performances of the players and team. Which only served to make me think he was plotting something...

Thanks sherm glad you're enjoying reading it, I'm certainly enjoying writing it!

September 5th, 2010

I arrived at the home stadium, parking my rusty old car in the space reserved for ‘Manager’. Shutting off the engine, I thought back to the first time I had pulled into that space to await transport to my first league game in charge. What a disaster that had turned out be, as we got absolutely smashed 5 – 0 at the hands of Couillet. Lighting a cigarette, I mused on how naïve I had been before kick-off, and how hard that loss had hit me. I never thought, sitting depressed at home after that defeat, that I would see this milestone.

The journey to Bocholt’s stadium was a jovial affair; the players raring to get the league campaign underway. What a difference a few wins makes, I reflected, recalling the air of tension that had surrounded the team before our opening cup game at Uccle Leo. I spent the journey in deep discussion with Pat, going over possible team changes. In the end, we decided to hand Joely Hugaerts his first start in place of Vanden Eede.

It looked like the players were determined to make my 100th game one to remember, as we completely dominated the first twenty minutes, Bocholt keeper Tom Meyers producing a string of excellent saves to keep his team level. We were punished on the break for not taking our chances though, as Eduardo was robbed in midfield, the ball finding its way to Deleu, who finished well. Three minutes later we were level, Ngadrida profiting from a lovely through ball by Omedjonga. We continued to dominate, Meyers frustrating us a number of times before half time.

Bocholt started the second half the stronger, scoring soon after the break as Cornelis was set up by the dangerous Deleu. The home side immediately went on the defensive, leading to more frustration as we pushed forward in search of an equaliser. Just when I thought it would never come, Omedjonga went on a jinking run, his shot was parried by the excellent Meyers, and Roman Moreno followed up to score his first goal for Londerzeel, earning us a deserved point.

Bocholt 2 – 2 Londerzeel

Ngadrida (23), Roman Moreno (90)

MoM: Meyers (Bocholt, 8)

September 12th, 2010

Our first home game at the Burgemeester A. Lamberts Stadion was against Vise, one of the teams we had conquered on our cup run in a thrilling game ending 4 – 2. As such, I had high hopes for a positive start at home, keeping faith with the same team that had scraped a point against Bocholt last week.

Anyone hoping for a similarly exciting match today, however, would have been extremely disappointed with the first half display from both teams. We looked nervous in front of a more demanding home crowd, and Vise seemed content to sit back for the point.

The second half saw both sides improve however, and we took the lead ten minutes in. Roman Moreno played a superb crossfield ball to Schockaert, who skinned his man and whipped in a dangerous low cross, which was converted by Ngadrida. Three minutes later it was two nil, Lavan slotting home his fourth penalty of the season after Omedjonga had been obstructed. We continued to push forward, and I brought off Omedjonga and Roman Moreno, both to standing ovations from the home crowd. One of the substitutes, Rico-Garcia, played a part in the third goal, his cross from the right met by the head of Ngadrida. His effort was well saved, but Matthys, making his league debut from the bench, was there to convert. Matthys was denied by two excellent saves in the last ten minutes, before Touzani managed a consolation for the away side. All in all, if we could play like we did in the second half more often, I thought we could do very well this season.

Londerzeel 3 – 1 Vise

Ngadrida (56), Lavan (pen 59), Matthys (80)

MoM: Lavan (8)

Thanks Spurs Revival, hope you continue to enjoy icon_smile.gif

September 15th, 2010

Arriving home from Wednesday evening training, I switched on my laptop to find I had a new e-mail from club scout Christophe Serste. Christophe had been travelling the country looking for new prospects for the team, keeping in mind the complete lack of transfer budget available to me. He had highlighted one report in particular: Gaetan Thulier was a promising right back, currently available on a free transfer that could provide valuable back up in that position to Legrand and Verlinden. I made a note to contact him with a contract offer in the morning.

Just as I was about to close it down the laptop beeped, letting me know that a new e-mail had been received. Torn between a desire to go to sleep and a sense of curiosity, I opened up the e-mail program again. When I saw the address of the new message, my heart skipped a beat: sarah.clayden.

Sarah?

With shaking hands, I opened the e-mail. I hadn’t heard from her since that day she had left without a backward glance, plunging me into a dark pit of depression that had lasted for weeks; even now I could feel it flexing its claws, wanting to drag me down into alcoholism again. Taking a deep breath, I fixed my eyes to the screen and began to read.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To: samfletcher@hotmail.com

Subject: Hey

Hi Sam,

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I know I haven’t been in contact since I left, but I didn’t want to call; to be honest, I’m not sure I could face the disappointment. I am still sure I made the right decision, especially finding out that you were drinking again. What sort of idiot are you?

This is really just to let you know that I am getting on well back here. I’ve found a new partner, one who can give me all the time and attention that I need. This isn’t necessarily meant as a dig at you Sam; I just wanted to spell out to you that we are definitely over. Please write back to let me know that you are okay; I hope we can still be friends despite everything.

Sarah

XX

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My head was reeling. She had found someone else already?

September 16th, 2010

I returned to the flat in a dark mood. The day’s training session had not gone well, and I had made sure that the lads knew it.

I had been greeted that morning with the sight of a largely empty bottle of vodka sitting on the coffee table; my emergency vodka. In a black mood, I had stomped around the flat for a few hours, hating the taste in my mouth, the pounding in my head and most of all the feeling of shame in my mind. We had been apart for three months, yet just one casual e-mail from her had driven me back to the drink?

Training that evening had been a tense affair. I had stood on the touchline, arms folded, for the most part, letting Pat take charge of the exercises. The players had avoided me, recognising the seething anger that burned inside like a hot coal. The practice match that ended the session had shown the team’s nervousness; passes went astray, tackles were mistimed and shots flew wildly wide.

Vinamont was the unfortunate lad to feel my anger. He had scuffed a shot weakly off-target from six yards out. I had torn into the 20-year old, lambasting his poor composure, his poor finishing and his obvious lack of desire. He had met my eyes unwillingly, tears of shame standing in his eyes. Disgusted with myself, I had turned on my heel and stormed back to the car.

Back at the flat, I read Sarah’s e-mail again and again, searching for a ray of hope inside the character assassination. There was none. I re-read the line What sort of idiot are you? time and time again, until night turned into morning. Glancing at the bottle of vodka, I had a moment of realisation.

She thinks I’m a loser? I thought, I’ll show her that I am better off without her!

I launched the bottle at the wall, barely hearing the smash, barely feeling the small shards of glass that *****ed my skin. I went to bed, a new spirit of determination helping me to sleep.

September 18th, 2010

As one of the Saturday games, a win here would put us top of the table, however briefly. I named another unchanged lineup, in the hope that Omedjonga and Ngadrida could continue their excellent form in front of goal. I made a public apology in front of the whole squad for my behaviour earlier in the week, which managed to clear the air of tension before our league clash away at Tournai.

Tournai started much the stronger, having the lion’s share of possession in the first half-hour and testing keeper Barrettara on a number of occasions. We took the lead completely against the run of play, Ngadrida’s excellent run and shot presenting a chance on the rebound for Omedjonga, who made no mistake in scoring his 1st league goal of the season. The home side came back strongly, and striker Demonceau really should have pulled them level before half-time, but he fluffed his shot with Barrettara stranded. We made them pay for that profligacy just two minutes later; Schockaert setting Ngadrida away down the left, and his perfect cross was met by an unmarked Omedjonga to put us two up before the interval.

The second half looked to follow the same pattern of the first, as only great goalkeeping from Barrettara and some excellent last ditch tackles prevented Tournai from scoring in a frenetic opening to the period. The sucker blow for them came in cruel circumstances however, as Omedjonga latched on to a sloppy backpass from home captain Sekour, before rounding the keeper to complete a clinical 11-minute hattrick. Tournai were clearly deflated by this, and we could have had more, substitute Matthys and Omedjonga firing wastefully wide when well set.

Tournai 0 – 3 Londerzeel

Omedjonga (37, 44, 48)

MoM: Omedjonga (9)

I praised the lads heartily in the dressing room afterwards; every player had been magnificent and some of our football on the break had been outstanding. One sour note was an injury to Jan Legrand. He had been concussed when challenging for a high ball, and would be out for up to two weeks, meaning Jan Verlinden would get a chance in the first team in the coming weeks.

September 19th, 2010

Or maybe not. Today I tied up the signing of young right back Gaetan Thulier, a lad with a lot of potential, on a free transfer. Very brave with good pace and work-rate, I had in mind to hand him his debut in the next game.

September 26th, 2010

Today was the day we would entertain Kelmis, a side predicted struggle in the division this year. As such, I decided to hand a start to a few of our fringe players, as Omedjonga made way for Matthys, Thulier was handed his debut in place of Legrand, and Keuppens replaced Mendy.

It seemed as though my changes would backfire. Despite creating a whole host of chances in the first half we went into the interval level, as Matthys spurned a number of good opportunities. I knew we needed to win our home games to strengthen our promotion bid, and Omedjonga replaced the ineffective Matthys at half-time.

We still looked disjointed in the second period, and Kelmis took the lead with twenty minutes left through Mack, who curled a superb free kick into the top corner from 30 yards. We finally started to find our passing game, and began to press the away side back. The equaliser, when it came, had a touch of fortune, as Omedjonga’s inswinging corner was put through his own net by defender Lousberg. Neither side could find the elusive winning goal, and Kelmis would go home with a precious point.

Londerzeel 1 – 1 Kelmis

Lousberg og (85)

MoM: Mack (Kelmis, 8)

October 2nd, 2010

We didn’t have a full week to recover from the disappointment of the Kelmis game, with our away fixture against Seraing taking place on the following Saturday. I strengthened the team, with Legrand, Mendy and Omedjonga all returning to the starting lineup.

We got off to good start; Lavan cleared a long throw to the halfway line, and a poor defensive header was seized upon by Omedjonga, whose pace took him clear of the back line and allowed him to slot the ball home. We pushed on to extend the lead, Eduardo and Omedjonga both denied by good saves as we threatened to overrun the home team. Seraing equalised on the stroke of half time with their first real attack, De Jonghe’s free kick attempt hitting Bulfon who was in the wall before spinning beyond Barrettara. Stung, we attacked straight from the kick off, Ngadrida denied fantastically by the Seraing keeper.

Ten minutes after half time the game had its goal; fortunately it fell to us, as Sluyts’ free kick ricocheted around in the Seraing box before finally hitting defender Moons and nestling in the corner. Twenty minutes later the game was put beyond doubt, Lavan stroking home yet another penalty after Omedjonga had been pulled back in the area. Bulfon scored his second for the home team in the last ten minutes, but even after that we had chances to increase the lead, Omedjonga and sub Vinamont both firing wide when well placed.

Seraing 2 – 3 Londerzeel

Omedjonga (14), Moons og (57), Lavan (pen 77)

MoM: Bulfon (Seraing, 8)

Thanks Amaroq, good to have the FMS Wonderkid ( icon_wink.gif)tagging along!

October 8th, 2010

We were all gathered round the solitary television in the clubhouse, eyes fixedon the picture from the Belgian FA headquarters in Brussels.

“Number 14 – SK Londerzeelâ€

Every one leaned forward in anticipation.

“Will play….Number 7 – Mouscronâ€

The clubhouse exploded in cheering. Mouscron? They were a well-established Division 1 team, sure to guarantee a full house at the Lamberts Stadion. That draw may well spell the end of our cup adventure, but at least we would make money doing it!

My mobile rang.

“Hello, is that Sam Fletcher?â€

“Yes it is,†I replied, motioning with my hands to the boys to quieten down.

“Hi Sam, it’s Joost from Sport Wereld? Just wanted to get your reaction about the cup draw. Sounds like the players are happy..â€

“Sure Joost. Well, we could have drawn an easier team I suppose. Mouscron are a quality outfit, with some really skilful players in their squad. However, we are at home, and I’m sure our fans will turn out in numbers, which won’t make it easy for them. We are in the Sixth Round on merit, and we’ll definitely give them a game.â€

“Thanks for that Sam. Good luck for the weekendâ€.

10th October, 2010

RC Mol-Wezel were the next visitors to the Lamberts Stadion on a day that dawned wet and miserable. The match was a generally dull affair in the first half, the only moment of note occurring when Omedjonga and Schockaert combined to provide Ngadrida with his fifth goal of the season.

The second half wasn’t much better, neither side really finding their rhythm in the driving rain. We were made to pay for not extending our lead with 20 minutes to go, Geraerts scoring from 12 yards after Sluyts had allegedly pulled back Solhi. Soon after, however, Omedjonga restored our lead, tapping home after Roman Moreno had seen his shot parried. A match best forgotten for the fans, but three points nonetheless.

Londerzeel 2 – 1 RC Mol-Wezel

Ngadrida (24), Omedjonga (78)

MoM: Ngadrida (8)

October 16th, 2010

For our next league game we travelled to Sprimont, sitting in the top six and playing well. I kept largely the same team as for the win over Mol-Wezel, with Thulier replacing Legrand at right back.

We had the better of the first half, Sprimont keeper Gulyas forced into a number of good saves from the dangerous frontline of Ngadrida and Omedjonga. The home team took the lead against the run of play after half an hour however, Eduardo’s intercepted pass leading to Cacciatore finishing emphatically when through on goal. Gulyas continued to frustrate us with a string of excellent saves, looking unbeatable in goal. Just when I thought we would get to the interval behind, Schockaert and Ngadrida combined to set Omedjonga in the clear, and when his shot was parried by Gulyas, Roman Moreno was there to follow up and level the match.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first, with Omedjonga being denied a number of times by the outstanding Gulyas and Barrettara in our goal remaining largely untroubled. The final whistle saw the two teams still deadlocked, and Sprimont had the form of their superb custodian to thank for their point, making me feel as though the match had seen two points dropped rather than one gained.

Sprimont 1 – 1 Londerzeel

Roman Moreno (45)

MoM: Gulyas (Sprimont, 8)

October 24th, 2010

Woluwe were the next team to visit the Lamberts Stadion. Currently sitting in 11th, fans and team alike were expecting an easy victory. There was only one change from the last fixture, El Harchouni taking the place of the suspended Eduardo.

We started the game very strongly as expected, Roman Moreno testing the keeper early with a couple of attempts, before Mendy had a free kick effort well saved. It was the visitors who took the lead however, Lavan’s clumsy foul leading to a free kick taken by Hatefi which took a cruel deflection off the wall before beating Barrettara. Fans and players were all stunned, as was I, but it wasn’t long before we were level, Ngadrida playing an offside-looking Omedjonga through, who finished calmly. Omedjonga had a clear chance to put us ahead soon after, a superb pass from Roman Moreno putting him through, but he could only find the side netting. Five minutes before half time we did take the lead, Mendy’s hopeful long ball finding Ngadrida in space, and he made no mistake.

Ten minutes into the second half it was 3 – 1, a superb move involving Omedjonga, Roman Moreno and young Thulier ripping Woluwe to shreds, resulted in another cool finish from Omedjonga for his second. Woluwe then managed a spell of pressure, during which Barrettara made two good saves to preserve the two-goal cushion. Rico-Garcia and Matthys came on around the hour mark, Matthys’ parried shot after good work from De Smedt leaving Omedjonga with a simple tap-in to complete his second hat-trick of the season. I could sense the heads of the Woluwe players dropping, and made sure that the lads would continue to be ruthless; and they were. Omedjonga added another two, bringing his personal tally for the game to an amazing five, following assists from Mendy and Schockaert, before sub Rico-Garcia made it 7 – 1 with a well placed shot from the edge of the area. The icing on the cake was delivered in the last minute, Omedjonga completing an incredible double hat-trick after Matthys’ shot had been well saved, making it three goals in the last five minutes. Omedjonga received a well-deserved standing ovation from the fans at the final whistle; his pace, power and clinical finishing had been far too much for the Woluwe defence to deal with in the second half.

Londerzeel 8 – 1 Woluwe

Omedjonga (24, 55, 70, 79, 85, 90), Ngadrida (39), Rico-Garcia (88)

MoM: Omedjonga (10)

Archived