0 Creative Freedom, Long Shots: Rarely. Yet still taking them all the time

How do I stop this?

He does have the PPM for long range shooting (which he refuses to dis-learn). No one else does it. He ruins every attacking move and therefore every game he is in because he takes pathetic shots from pathetic angles/distance.

Anything I can do other than sell him?

Ridiculous. I'm going to have to sell Bernardo and Gourcuff. It's so outrageous that after this many patches such a terrible thing is still in.

It's unbelievable how many pathetic long shots these guys can take despite having about 5 instructions telling them to do otherwise.

You need to ensure they have players to pass to in front of them or cutting in from the wing, if you haven't already give them through balls often so they'll concentrate on that and give players round him RFD often so they'll make forward runs for him to pick out. Try playing them deeper (lower mentality or one position back) and see if that helps.

Setting 0 creative freedom will also be counterproductive in stopping him shooting long. He won't have any license in trying any daring passes or runs so when he ends up being closed down he will jus shoot it long because his ppm is the only thing that is strong enough to override his "do nothing" instruction... As mentioned before give him some passing opportunities and create some space in front of him so that when he does shoot he might actually score.

In my current game at PSV My two offensive midfielders in a 3-man-midfield have shoots long PPMs and they scores 23 goals between them last year so it can be an effective weapon...

It's all about options, if your best players are taking too many shots, either swap to an assymetrical system or go 1 upfront with 2 wingers, then they'll always have a forward or diagonal ball to play to.

You could also play one of the strikers deeper, deep lying striker with an attacking behaviour is my favourite for this, they prefer to get the ball and run in.

I already have an advanced playmaker in front of him, one deep lying forward and one advanced forward. I have set him to make no forward runs and put his mentality at defensive but he still comes running forward (he has that PPM too)

The problem is when I play teams where I am guaranteed >60% possesion. Other times it's not so bad. But when I'm struggling to break down a team where they park the bus, I don't need him smashing it over the bar 7 times a game.

I was managing Spurs and put all players's long shot on rarely and they still bloody do it especially the midfielders like Palaicos. But I think its just part of Football imo.

I am guessing that the mentality of the player taking all the long shots is very attacking? Maybe you should lower his mentality (maybe even to defensive) and see what happens. I think the more attacking the mentality, the more a player will try to shoot on sight.

Archived