FM2008 - The Offical Harpenden Town Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, it is a hard challenge but find the right tactic for the right players and your half way there! I've posted a lot of transfers and previous squads over the last couple of pages (and this one), so if you get stuck for players, just have a look there.

London united is pretty good tbh. It's getting my love back for the game because i've been doing rubbish with other saves recently icon_frown.gif

but once i've finished with london united i think i might try this save icon_smile.gif

sounds pretty good and i like managing in the lower leagues icon_biggrin.gif

That London United is a copy of this... booo

No its not a copy it's just similar

When i finish with my London Utd save i'll give this a go and then start another new challenge but with a lower league spanish team

Originally posted by Manumoss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That London United is a copy of this... booo

When i finish with my London Utd save i'll give this a go and then start another new challenge but with a lower league spanish team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not a copy, its a changed version of this save for people scared to play LLM.

Slightly annoying though, Raydale, London Utd both came right after this one... I do sense a bit of copyingicon_smile.gif

Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manumoss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That London United is a copy of this... booo

When i finish with my London Utd save i'll give this a go and then start another new challenge but with a lower league spanish team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not a copy, its a changed version of this save for people scared to play LLM.

Slightly annoying though, Raydale, London Utd both came right after this one... I do sense a bit of copyingicon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should take it as a compliment icon_wink.gif

i'd love to try your game might start during the week

KUTGW icon14.gif

Ok, here is my squad for the new season. I am doing very well, have found a few regens which I like the look of, and atm I am 5th. I beat Plymouth and Derby, both, incidently, on penalties. Heading for the 3rd round now, and hoping to face a big team as this would mean quite a lot on gate reciepts if we are at home. League One is going to be very tough, as we have the likes of Leeds, Gillingham, MK Dons and Southampton to compete with. I might be able to sneak into a place in the play offs if I am lucky.

Remember how in my first ever season I was very worried about the fact the my average age was ~39, and that they might break down half way through the season? Well now I am worried because my average age is 20, and there isn't enough experience in the team. My oldest player is 26 fgs! And the next oldest player is 23! Lets hope they pull through because of their talent, and that experience won't be a huge factor in our plan for promotion.

I had a £1.1M bid for Samuel from Swansea that my chairman accpeted icon_mad.gif, but Samuel rejected the contract, saying he wanted to stay with us! Have had lots of offers for Villafane and Balde, but have rejected them all, they will be in my team until the premiership (unless Hicks puts a stop to that). My best players are Andy Lovell for defence, Boubacar Balde for midfield and Nathan Ecclestone for the attack.

If you have any suggestions for my team I'd be glad to have them, or if you have screenshots requests that you need, I'll try and get them to you.

arsenal_2111 your trying to make it sound like a competition between us but that aint the case as i know i'd lose icon_wink.gif

im only doing the London Utd thing because i find it really fun and i notice that a lot of people here are losing interest in the game so i'm uploading it to see if anybody else enjoys it icon_smile.gif

so you dont need to worry about me taking your gamers :p

CBA to wait.

A very successful 2007-2008 season with Harpenden Town left me in the Blue Square Premier for the 2008-2009 season.

I had much hope, with players such as Balde really coming on late in the 07-08 season. However it has been a lot more difficult than I thought, and I have been left in a disapointing 17th place.

My squad, despite having a lot of talent, just arent doing as well as they should be.

But even though my team isnt doing as well as I thought, the board seem to have a lot of confidence in me.

Here is my Information.

Anyone got any suggestions, as I really want to go up!

Originally posted by DiscoStu94:

Manumoss I was just giving the idea to Arsenal_2111 as I thought many people would be interested in it, not because of a competition.

Nah DiscoStu94 i aint talking about that lol

im just saying that on my thread arsenal_2111 was saying that i was "copying" him and saying that mine aint a "challenge" but im just doing it because i think some people would find it fun but if you dont then thats alright

Read on the London Utd thread about putting it up in the challenge forum. I think you (Arsenal_2111) should do that with the Harpenden thread. Tell them about our thread in here, to get more interest.

I'll do that now...

I went to look in the LLM forum earlier, its really strict! No player naming, no bragging, no asking for advice... what is it for exactly!?!?!

Wow, I think you've been really unlucky there. How has Hulk's 4-4-2 been for you? IMHO, unless you have a massive turn of form, your looking at mid-table. Are you missing goals or leaking them?

The 4-4-2 is a lot better actually!

Im missing a few(Kosecki not doing as well this season), but conceding is my main problem.

I started doing better when I dropped Prusak in goal, he was doing awful, always running out and missing the ball/leaving an open goal!

I went to look in the LLM forum earlier, its really strict! No player naming, no bragging, no asking for advice... what is it for exactly!?!?!

These guys are hardcore FMers, they hate naming, thinking it makes in unrealistic.

Im changing the opening post a little, making it easier to understand. Also putting the database in the first post instead of the save file.

Here it is, what do you think?

The Harpenden Town team thread in the Good Player + Team Guide

leagdir20Harp.jpg

(The database link will go here when it is uploaded again, I dont know why but it stopped working!)

To download the file:

1. Open the link above

2. Press the 'Download Now' button, above the information

3. When the option box appears, select 'save'

4. Save the database to "C:, (Your Name), My Documents, Sports Interactive, Football Manager 2008, db, New Club, (database file here)

5. Wait for the file to download fully.

6. You can then select the database to use, and start a new game as usual from the Football Manager opening screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Life Information

Harpenden Town Football Club is a football club based in Harpenden, Hertfordshire. It was established in 1891 and was the founding member of the Herts County League in 1898. Harpenden Town play their home matches at Rothampsted Park. Harpenden Town is nicknamed 'The Harps', and the chairman of Harpenden Town is Brian Hicks. They are currently playing in the Spartan South Midlands League.

Football Manager information

On the save file, I moved Harpenden Town to the Conference South. Their bank balance is about £995k, but as they are an amateur club, they have not transfer or wage budget. Their stadium is as real life, Rothampsted Park, but it is expanded, with a capacity of 5000, 2458 seated. To hand I can’t remember what the expansion limit is, but it was somewhere in the region of 25,000

To make the game more of a challenge, I also used the editor to remove all players from Harpenden Town, and left them with just youth players. All but two youth players start in the First Team Squad. There are three members of staff - an assistant manager, a coach, and a physio. There is no manager, so yours will be the first in Harpenden Town’s Football Manager history!

There is also a player who I created in the editor, called Ben Harper, who can play either ML or ST. He has a current ability of 45, but a huge PA of 185. It will be a huge challenge to firstly get him up to his potential, but secondly to keep the bigger clubs away. Harper is just 14 years old, so he has a lot of time to fulfil his potential. As soon as you achieve part-time status you should tie him down, as amateur players can leave the club for free at any time.

Harpenden has two fierce rivals, MK Dons and Luton Town. Harpenden also has one affiliated club, Watford. Watford is obviously the parent club, and may choose to loan Harpenden players. There is also an agreement to play an annual friendly.

I have cancelled out all records, so you will get a lot of records broken. Despite me deleting all records in the editor(from the club I turned into Harpenden Town), there are still two different records that have stayed. These are ‘League appearances’ and ‘League Goals’. Both of these are very low though, and should be broken in the first season.

And finally...

I hope that many people download this database, and enjoy playing as Harpenden Town. I like to think DiscoStu and myself are very helpful in the team guide.

It will be a challenge, but also be great fun, so why not give it a go?!

Good luck, and remember to share your experiences in here!

To post screenshots in the Harpenden Town thread

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com

5. Post the direct URL to the image on here.

DiscoStu

How did you persuade Lucketti to join you?

I had a £0 bid accepted by Chesterfield for him(hes in there reserves) but he doesnt want to join!

Also, I aked my board for a second feeder club, a work permit one.

Do you reckon they will get one? I need one for Osei(sp) and some mexican GK.

It most certainly is Rhys Murphy

Does anyone know why the odds are always so bad.

And Stroppa keeps rejecting contract saying he wants more lucrative salary. But when i open it he says he wanta £0 a week which is what i do anyway on key player. icon_confused.gif

Dont mind if he leaves after all he is 39 YEARS OLD!!!

Make sure you buy Tarrassenko and Sedziak, both are amazing players. I've had Sedziak since the BSP and he is my top scorer in the league 1!

i can't find Tarrassenko icon_frown.gif what club does he play for?

Originally posted by Dale0718:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DiscoStu94:

Make sure you buy Tarrassenko and Sedziak, both are amazing players. I've had Sedziak since the BSP and he is my top scorer in the league 1!

i can't find Tarrassenko icon_frown.gif what club does he play for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt have him on my game either, but IIRC it is something like Corte.

Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

This is getting ridiculous!

I didnt mind one or maybe two games similar to mine, but now they seem to be coming from everywhere!

The other two were fine as well because they were Premier League and SPL, but now Manumoss is thinking of making a game almost identical to this one!!!

yeah well you werent the first one to make a game like this

Archived