FM2008 - The Offical Harpenden Town Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I tried the Oxford one, but it was nothing compared to this. The challenge is immense, but after searching around for an hour or two, the gems you find just make you glow inside icon_smile.gif. I am currently in the Setanta Shield Final (Mansfield) and 3rd in the BSP with 4 games left, no chance on 1st though, Bury are like men posessed at the top atm. Guarenteed play offs though.

What tactics you guys playing? DO you play "proper" tactics, or do you just use plain and simple default tactics in the Blue Square? Cos someone told me a while back its too complicated to play proper tactics in lower leagues with low quality players icon_confused.gif

I tried the Oxford one aswell, but didnt like it.

Glad I decided to make this thread now!

I thing I regret is not putting myself in as a director, so my name was in everyone's game!

I am just about the play the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round, and I hope I will go through.

Just noticed that we have reached 50 posts!

How long before someone else starts a Harpenden Town game?

Originally posted by NUFCSean:

What tactics you guys playing? DO you play "proper" tactics, or do you just use plain and simple default tactics in the Blue Square? Cos someone told me a while back its too complicated to play proper tactics in lower leagues with low quality players icon_confused.gif

I play the normal 4-4-2, I tried a different formation but 4-4-2 seems to work best.

BTW, I had MiniScout up to check Boubacar Balde's PA, just couldn't resist, the guy seemed to good to be true, West Brom in the Premiership are after him! He is possibly the best transfer I have ever made along with Damien Sedziack! (BTW Balde's PA is 133 if you wanted to know, so not exactly prem standard)

Just started and signed quite a few players, just one question, how have you guys managed to get some of the players you have 'cos on mine some of them require compensation, and with no transfer funds I can't complete the signing icon_frown.gif Also lost out on Baiano (sp) icon_frown.gif

Instead of 'approaching to sign', just offer the club £0. If he is out of contract, they will accept (they might put arrange friendly or 20% sell on). Look at Arsenal_2111 and my squad on the previous page for help. If you get stuck for a position just ask icon_smile.gif

Ahh never thought of that lol. Yeah I've looked at most of the players on your squads and got quite a few of them thanks. And was that Totti guy arsenal_2111 was on about just called Totti, no first name?

Originally posted by NUFCSean:

Ahh never thought of that lol. Yeah I've looked at most of the players on your squads and got quite a few of them thanks. And was that Totti guy arsenal_2111 was on about just called Totti, no first name?

Cant remember who it was yourtalking about TBH. Do you mean Torre?

Have a look at this then!

Game finished 5-0. He's called Mark Rasmussen, and I only signed him because Balde was away, Jurak on holiday, leaving me with just Lewis, Jackson, and Kosecki. As I wanted Kosecki to play AMC(I was trying a 4-3-1-2, 3 CM's)I only had Jackson and Lewis. Lewis hasnt scored all season, and Jackson only had 1 in 8!

Last minute, completed just before the game, so imagine how pleased I was when my newest signing got a debut hat-trick!!!!

Incredible Back-To-Back Promotions for Harpenden!

After an amazing match, Harpenden have silenced all critics by gaining promotion. In a game they controlled against Rushden and Diamonds, it took Harpenden 43 minutes to end the game. A Vasseur corner was drifted in, only to meet Jakub Kosecki's head. The 18 year old, recently declaring how happy he was with club, almost fainted with ectasy.

Rushden struggled to find a foothold in the game, and their player of the match, Louis Dodds, did not recieve the balls to get into the game. A Rushden fan exiting the game, commented that although he was upset with the result, was full of praise for Harpenden, say ing the had worked for it this season more than any other team, with their limited resources.

That's right I've done it! Now onwards and upwards! Will be getting rid of all that won't be able to cut it in the league, and replacing them. Am thinking about a change of tatic, a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, just to spice things up. I'm well chuffed icon_biggrin.gif

Balde has finally scored, in the league against Cambrige City.

Not only that, but he got a hatrick!!!

This was in a 5-3 win over Cambrige.

I have let in about 22 now, my defence needs to get their act together. My keeper got a 5 in that 5-3, he was at blame for two of their goals.

Yeah I let in so many the past two seasons, but I can't get better keepers, so I have to go very attacking and hope we get more goals than the opposition. Not the best of philosophies, but it worked. But now I will focus on my defence much, much more.

harpendensquad3iu7.th.jpg

The new squad, costing me £650K altogether, although Villafane took up most of that at £400K. I will be getting £500K back though, as I bought a player (Ashikodi) for a free, and am now selling him as I write. The ass man has rated my whole squad (bar Drummond, Kosecki and Sabic) as 7 stars, which I am quite pleased about. Nice to see all hat money put to use, although all but four were frees! Vallafane and Forlin must be best players as they've come from Boca (after going on loan to R. Madrid). Watford are finally loaning me some players, and very good ones according to the ass man. I said I would get them to a top half finish, but with all these resources I have, I'd be dissapointed not to get promotion or challenge for it at least.

Sold for £500K. Well worth it, as he wouldn't have got a game in anyways. Also sold Jurak for £600K to Lech Pozman, after two excellent seasons with me, but the offer was too much to refuse (and a bit stupid, he's not that good icon_rolleyes.gif). Loving this game, starting the new season soon, might go back to Arsenal game after this one.

My season has started going wrong.

Out of the FA Cup and Setanta Shield, but I am hoping that allows me to concentrate on the league.

Only thing I want is to go up TBH

I went out of all the cup competitions very early in the first season (and second, bar the Setanta Shield as I won it icon_smile.gif), helped my oldie team keep their fitness up, as they had less games.

Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

My latest squad

Kosecki and Jurak are excellent for me, and Curtis Jackson has started doing well. Still not overly impressed with Balde though.

Top of the league by 3 goals, joint on points(47) with Bath.

I need to criticise him more. last time I did he got a hatrick, and that has happened again. 8 goals now.

Originally posted by DiscoStu94:

Why did you choose the name Ben Harper?

Asked my sister to give a random first name, then her boyfriend to give a surname.

It wasnt planned to be like Ben Harper from My Family, if that is what you thought.

I would have changed it if I had of realised TBH, to something like Ben Shawcross.

Archived