Evaluation of 8.0.2 - is it really that bad?

The only problem I have is with the amount of goals going in. My games average 4-5 goals each match and I rarely (if ever)see a 0-0/1-0 scoreline.

I don't know how many punters we have in this forum ,but you would be betting the over in every single game if this was real life.

The transfer system (in my experience) has been much improved from FM07. I'm now able to sell duds/not required players with a lot more ease than I was able to in the previous couple of versions.

1 - Board confidence - Miles claimed to be unaware of the limitations of this feature, i'm willing to accept that for now, however i feel i've said all i need to here. I really don't feel that any of the points really need save games to support them, but they can be provided if they are needed.

I agree that this is a total mess and can spoil the longevity of the game.

2 - Transfer Mech - again i don't feel i need to elaborate on this.

AgreedAgreed

1/ Do you enjoy FM08

yes i do overall

2/ Do you feel it is better than FM07

yes

3/ Are there any bugs that you feel are significant that i haven't experienced - please elaborate

no i think you have covered them re my experience

Whilst it is a pity that SI did not fix the first 2 you mentioned I am still enjoying the game.

1. Do you enjoy FM08.

Sort of. Some bugs I find computer-out-the-window annoying, but I’m still playing, so I suppose I must.

2. Do you feel it is better than FM07.

Sort of! FM7.0 was playable but riven with annoying bugs. 7.1 was unplayable. 7.2 sorted most things out but retained enough annoyances to keep you in constant irritation and bewilderment if all that time and effort was actually worth it when it left you more wound up than Basil Fawlty on gourmet evening. FM8 has followed this pattern.

3. Any more bugs?

Match Engine:

• Why do goalkeepers still ignore distribution instructions? I’m no programmer, but as someone who produces complex spreadsheet forecasting models I appreciate the hideous complexity, but I can’t understand why this particular problem is so apparently impossible to solve. How long have they known about this? My championship side was recently two goals up to a premiership side with five minutes to go. Every time my keeper got the ball he hoofed it up to my three foot six striker who invariably was beaten to the ball. Guess how I conceded two late goals.

• Goalkeeper positioning is still duff at wide shots to near post (I uploaded a pkm over this.

• If you have an opposition defender on always close down and he approaches the edge of the area sufficiently close to the DC, the DC will gallop towards him like a lunatic leaving the opposition striker he’s supposed to be marking clear on goal, despite the current marking on the opposition MC. This lack of basic player intelligence is noticeable in other ways, keepers rushing out/not rushing out, full back positioning, hoofing the ball into space rugby style etc.

• AI players are supermen at long range shots. Invariably they are on target, invariably the keeper can’t keep hold of the ball and it’s either a goal or a corner. See your own corner bug. The AI scores from the corner bug too, y’know.

• Superman grey amateur teams. Especially in lower leagues, this makes cup comps and pre season tours a nightmare.

Also:

• Board expectations. You have to wonder about the point of a career game. If you reach the goal of getting to a top club you have to put up with these idiotic expectations. How you specify what round of a cup you should get to when you don’t know who you will draw? It’s this sort of thing that makes you wonder if SI’s programmers are in the slightest bit au fait with football and the real world generally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1/ Do you enjoy FM08

3/ Are there any bugs that you feel are significant that i haven't experienced - please elaborate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To quote "Swiss Tony", playing FM08 is like making love to a beautiful woman. She may have her minor faults, but you know that deep down she's the best around & if you take your time & an indulge yourself in her true potential, the outcome will be fantastic!!! I think that just about hits the nail on the head! lol!

Anyway, getting back to the subject - to answer your questions:

1/ Absolutely. FM08 is thoroughly enjoyable, worryingly addictive and mind-numbingly difficult, but it is the difficulty that makes it so playable. I've spent more hours tinkering with tactics than Rafa Benitez spends deciding who his best eleven is! I play the game at home and across a network at my workplace during my luchbreak with a colleague and we have spent entire lunchtimes just deliberating what tactic to use! When you get the tactic spot on it is so satisfying. There is nothing more rewarding than guiding a small premiership side to a well earned 1-0 victory over Manchester United.

2/ By a million miles. Since I bought and installed FM08 i've never looked back. FM07 was uninstalled and deleted and thrown on the bombfire! Every new release is better than the last.

3/ Nope. The only minor thing that can be slightly annoying is the individual cup confidence, but I tend to just get on with it. If you get knocked out the cup before reaching the board's requirement, I tend to try and improve my league form in order to counter balance it.

FM08 relies on patience & intelligence. If you know why your league form is terrible & you have the time to sit & fiddle with your tactics until you find a solution.....then do so....don't go running off & complaining on the forums about. Work it out for yourself!

1/ Do you enjoy FM08

3/ Are there any bugs that you feel are significant that i haven't experienced - please elaborate.

1/ Yes if compared with other games, but FM is losing the battle if they don’t keep improving or add new functions.

2/ No, Old wine in a new skin. The ME is a bit better, rest is cosmetic baggage.

3/ Club reputation in the game is really unbalanced specially offering contracts.

Want to sign player on Bosman and I’m a low rep. Club with no money. So i make offers for young and back-up players out off league 1 and 2. Most of them are not willing to negotiate a contract. Most of them are not offered a renewal and are release by their clubs a month later. A this point, as a free agent, most of them are very happy to accept a contract. What is the basic difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seagulls Forever:

Ackter I know you're smarter than that. If you had read what I posted rather than just jumping in looking for a dispute, as is your way, you would have got the point.

In 3 simple paragraphs.

1. FM is not fun. Bugs are harder to tolerate when not having fun.

2. CM has faults, I agree. But the thing is, CM is actually fun. When you have fun you don't notice the bugs.

3. Another example of where fun can overrule bugs. Hidden & Dangerous. Bugged to hell. Soldiers getting stuck in scenery etc. But, the game was a shedload of fun. Did I give a monkeys toss about the bugs? Did I hell. I was having too much fun to care. The sign of a great game is the ability to enjoy it even despite the bugs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming you close your eyes for every match then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming that you are incapable of making a worthwhile or relevant point and backing it up with facts?

1/ Do you enjoy FM08

At times I do, but the "game" has become a bit of a slog as SI have failed year on year to fix or improve features that really need it, and issues that ruin the game such as confidence are unacceptable after a 3 month wait for the patch.

Board confidence is so poorly implemented that for the first time ever I feel there is a need for an "unsackable" option.

Seriously if if it wasnt for the match engine (which even though it has some annoying faults is growing on me) then I would have skipped this version.

Yes, but only in terms of the match engine- the rest of the game feels tired, and there is no sign of meaty new features just paperthin ones that never get expanded or fulfill their potential.

3/ Are there any bugs that you feel are significant that i haven't experienced - please elaborate.

Not that Im aware of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:

Maybe there are no people like you on the CM forums? Just a guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's strange, seeing as I'm a registered member there as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seagulls Forever:

I'm assuming that you are incapable of making a worthwhile or relevant point and backing it up with facts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfectly worthwhile and relevant point. The match engine in CM is atrocious. It reminds me of the 2D engine in Ultimate Soccer Manager 98.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Imperius:

3. Any more bugs?

Match Engine:

• Why do goalkeepers still ignore distribution instructions? I’m no programmer, but as someone who produces complex spreadsheet forecasting models I appreciate the hideous complexity, but I can’t understand why this particular problem is so apparently impossible to solve. How long have they known about this? My championship side was recently two goals up to a premiership side with five minutes to go. Every time my keeper got the ball he hoofed it up to my three foot six striker who invariably was beaten to the ball. Guess how I conceded two late goals.

There is a work around of sorts. Specify both the type of distribution you wish the keeper to make and specify the player to which you wish him to distribute i.e. left winger, right back etc. That will minimise, although not totally eliminate, the number of times he clears randomly up the pitch. Not perfect I agree, but should minimise frustration.

• Goalkeeper positioning is still duff at wide shots to near post (I uploaded a pkm over this.)

Also reported this and it should be looked at for future development

• If you have an opposition defender on always close down and he approaches the edge of the area sufficiently close to the DC, the DC will gallop towards him like a lunatic leaving the opposition striker he’s supposed to be marking clear on goal, despite the current marking on the opposition MC. This lack of basic player intelligence is noticeable in other ways, keepers rushing out/not rushing out, full back positioning, hoofing the ball into space rugby style etc.

Also reported this and should be looked at for future development

• AI players are supermen at long range shots. Invariably they are on target, invariably the keeper can’t keep hold of the ball and it’s either a goal or a corner. See your own corner bug. The AI scores from the corner bug too, y’know.

Both of these can be minimised by tactical instruction, including but not limited to good closing down, defending set-pieces and OI settings. It is not too difficult to stop the AI getting in long range shots if you are closing down correctly and showing the AI players onto wrong foot. Watch to see exactly where your midfielders are closing down and alter their instructions until they AI players have next to no time on the ball.

• Superman grey amateur teams. Especially in lower leagues, this makes cup comps and pre season tours a nightmare.

Not experienced this. I tend to hammer greyed out teams.

Also:

• Board expectations. You have to wonder about the point of a career game. If you reach the goal of getting to a top club you have to put up with these idiotic expectations. How you specify what round of a cup you should get to when you don’t know who you will draw?

Would very much agree with this. There has to be a confidence limitation with regards to who you are knocked out of a cup by. Chelsea or Liverpool losing to Barnsley in an early round should shake board confidence, Barnsley losing away to Chelsea in the third round when the board expects fourth round shouldn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyrule_king:

Too Many offsides, almost everytime i score it's offside. sort it out please si. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wasn't that fixed in the latest patch?

Archived