Sigh .. silly again

I also wonder why 4-2-4 is such a panacea for literally all AI teams.

AI Teams using 4-2-4 in the closing stage of a match are overwhelming on the pitch.

But that's just not true, as other people have stated it is very easy to counteract 4-2-4 or any other last ditch attacking tactic, it's actually useful to us as well increasing our ability to play counter attack football and grab another goal easily.

I agree that it is overused by all AI teams, but it certainly isn't overwhelming.

The best match engine I remember has probably got to be CM03/04, for some reason I was so into that and it seemed great at the time, not played it for about 4 years though and don't have the game anymore!

I've actually gone back to it now, for a number of reasons. It's been really good so far. You can pick up a copy for next to nothing without much hassle.

If nothing else, this thread has definitely been an interesting read.

Instead of moaning, watch the full highlights of the game, and try and see what is wrong.

By playing one up front, did this confuse your defenders? Perhaps you should've set one player to man mark their sole striker, and another to play zonally, allowing him to track anybody running from deep, or to cover if the striker gets past the first defender. If they were both set to play man-marking, they could find themselves both pulled over, allowing space for a midfielder to attack, subsequently dragging your defence apart, or if both were set to play zonally, the more central position of the striker could have caused confusion as to which defender was responsible for picking him up.

What effect did them having 5 across the middle have? Were you midfield crowded out easily, and did you find yourself losing possession a lot more? With a defensive set-up, did this mean that the opposition seized the ball in relatively dangerous areas and it took them just a couple of incisive passes to create a good chance. Did the extra man in midfield, give the oppositions' wingers a chance to get forward more? If the opposition striker was good aerially, or perhaps had good Off the Ball and/or Anticipation stats he might easily become a threat from crosses.

After conceeding the first goal, did you change anything? After conceeding the equaliser was anything changed? Or, did you instead complain as to how ridiculous the game is, without giving a thought to the logic behind the events.

Once you've watched the game back, you should be in a position to learn as to where you went wrong, and prevent it happening again. For me, I have a set of tactics which react to the opposition's formation. So, I have a different tactic for if the opposition play 4-4-2, or 4-5-1, or 4-3-3, or 4-2-4, and so forth. This way my players have clear instructions on how to play to prevent the opposition bossing the midfield or exploiting any confusion amongst my defenders.

.. but what gets me is people on the one hand put all the blame for a deficiency in a players success on " .. his tactics" as tho they are some tactical genius who've just done their Pro Licence course

Well, no................but I have got my UEFA 'B' and 'A' Licences.

So when I criticise someone "for their tactics" I feel fairly confident that I know what I'm talking about, even if this is JUST A VIDEO GAME - a fact that quite a few people of this forum need to remember.

Im gonna be straight with Thunda

i honestly feel it was one of those random things in the game

where they want you to lose

so they will make a way for it to happen

its so obvious

i dont really like it when people stick up for the game when these are blatant errors

im sure si want to hear the criticism so they can fix it

but i honestly see no explaination for this

no beeting around the bush

thunda was cheated

end of the discussion

So when I criticise someone "for their tactics" I feel fairly confident that I know what I'm talking about, even if this is JUST A VIDEO GAME - a fact that quite a few people of this forum need to remember.

I don't think Uefa licences make much of a difference to ability to judge tactics etc in FM, especially considering the usual consensus is that players find it hard to incorporate tactics they would use IRL and achieve success. I'm sure there's loads of guys on these forums who would kick SAF's ass at FM, and they could criticise his tactics whether he has all the licences and 10 BPL's or not, so I don't see the relevance of RL tactical knowledge and FM.

I think that also answers Thunda's statement about people criticising tactics, if someone has had massive success on FM08 and you haven't then they obviously know a thing or two about tactics so offering advice or criticising other peoples tactics seems fair enough whether they have a RL licence or not.

So when I criticise someone "for their tactics" I feel fairly confident that I know what I'm talking about, even if this is JUST A VIDEO GAME

I don't think Uefa licences make much of a difference to ability to judge tactics etc in FM

I know, that's why in my message after stating that I have my 'B' and 'A' licenses and I should know a bit about tactics I said; EVEN IF THIS IS JUST A GAME.

I know, that's why in my message after stating that I have my 'B' and 'A' licenses and I should know a bit about tactics I said; EVEN IF THIS IS JUST A GAME.

Sorry internet miscommunication, I was trying to emphasise your point rather than say you were wrong.

Archived