JoseRR's FM08 Small Club to Big Club From a Big European Nation Challenge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks. personally, i felt it was a challenge that deserved to run alongside Gundo's and Dafuge's, the international challenge and the South american one. i think that there you have a core of good quality challenge games.

i can appreciate that some people may view it as being 'easy' compared to some of the others, as you are playing in big leagues, but i think that isn't necessarily the case. playing in these countries means you have to over come some of the best club sides in the world in order to make it into Europe. this isn't the case to the same extent with Hungary, Poland, Romania etc. i would agree however, that the winning of the Champions league, once there, should be easier in this challenge.

gotta get there first mind!

also, welcome Mark Snellink

Right I've holidayed and have these options:

Biellese

Boca San Lazzaro

Brindisi

Chioggia

Isola Liri

Montevarchi

Nocerina

Nuovo Campobasso

Salo

Viterbese

Initial thoughts are leaning towards Boca San Lazzaro - purely because of the name icon_biggrin.gif! But I'm going to look more in depth at their history and facilities etc.

The Beginning

Well I've certainly found an interesting club here (at least more interesting than Bayreuth...). The name? Albalonga. And here's some background:

They were founded in 1960 so by no means an historical club and play at the Stadio Pio XII in the Albano Laziale region of Latium. The stadium itself holds 1800 people and currently serves as not just Albalonga's home but also the home of the Vatican City national team (as well as Pol. Albalonga). The stadium is named after Pope Pius XII who died two years before the club was formed.

The Latium region was home to the original Latin people and the ancient language of the region became the basis of Latin as we know it icon_cool.gif

The region that became known as Latium had been home to the Etruscans from about the 8th Century B.C. onward. The Etruscans could never quite make the area their own in a political sense as the region was controlled through the influence of various Ancient Greek states. One of the earliest recorded non-Etruscan settlements in Latium is the quasi-mythical icon_cool.gif city of Alba Longa located southeast of present day Rome. It was here the Latin League was founded (city states against Etruscan expansion). Alba Longa was destroyed in the middle of the 7th Century B.C. by the more dominant politcal and military power that was Rome. icon_frown.gif

But this is where I step in! Long have the Albalongans been oppressed by the Roman bullies! It is time to forge a football side capable of dislodging the great Italian clubs of the capital.

(Albeit this could take a while icon_wink.gif)

Here's some screenshots:

Starting Squad

Info

Interesting developments - I applied for a parent club and got offered Lazio or Roma....Hmmm. Well after the ransacking of our beautiful city 2700 years ago by those Romans I would rather not take Roma. But seeing as both clubs are from Rome it was irrelevant and seeing as we desparately needed a parent club, Lazio it was. Hearing the name Roma would just evoke too many painful memories for the people of Albalonga icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. I've asked them for more but there seems to be quite a lot of competition for them so fingers crossed I get a couple. Raiding the unattached players seems like a good strategy too - especially given that I've got no players!

Originally posted by iacovone:

Thanks for the advice. I've asked them for more but there seems to be quite a lot of competition for them so fingers crossed I get a couple. Raiding the unattached players seems like a good strategy too - especially given that I've got no players!

might help!! what's the name of the striker out of interest?

Oh really? I'm gonna go back and reread this thread now!

was Des' main striker. somehow he'd been released on his game,so he signed him. would never join the mighty Como...

Haha. I just had a look back and saw he'd signed him and not just nabbed him on loan. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does now. Just signed a very highly rated young Lazio centre back on loan - Alessandro Tuia. A player I used to sign on past FM's for his potential so I'm happy with that. Just need to get a midfield and a half decent keeper and I reckon we could have the makings of a semi-competent Serie C2 side!

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Oh really? I'm gonna go back and reread this thread now!

was Des' main striker. somehow he'd been released on his game,so he signed him. would never join the mighty Como... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got me through season 1 quite nicely icon_smile.gifThen I sold him off, as I found in season 2 that I could sign a lot of better players from around the region who just wouldn't sign in the first season...I am trying to sign players now...just not easy :p No staff sucks...

Another participant \o/

We're growing. By the way rlipscombe and DesTiny - hats off to you for keeping this alive between just the 2 of you. It'd been a shame if this challenge had not got up and running!

No problem, I just loved playing it, now I am starting to get back into it slowly :p

Hmm going to reload a few times just to see who else is an option. I've got to get this right! Can't believe Des started with Domegliara. They're stadium is 650 or so Eek

It took til right at the end to hit 5k as well...pretty much selling out from the beginning and expansions every single season.

Ok I have decided to have another attempt at this challenge this time in Spain.

After a bit of thought I have decided to risk being the manager of Brindisi in Serie C2/C.

With the board wanting a respectable league position and a media prediction of 9th, and no players to start with, this could be interesting.

First thing I have already done is put in a request for a parent club. Not hopeful as I have a habit of getting chairmen that cant see the point in creating links.

I have no real recollection of ever managing in Italy before, and almost certainly not at this level in Italy, so this will be an interesting season at the very least.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Ok I have decided to have another attempt at this challenge this time in <STRIKE>Spain</STRIKE> Italy(maybe icon_wink.gif .

After a bit of thought I have decided to risk being the manager of Brindisi in Serie C2/C.

With the board wanting a respectable league position and a media prediction of 9th, and no players to start with, this could be interesting.

First thing I have already done is put in a request for a parent club. Not hopeful as I have a habit of getting chairmen that cant see the point in creating links.

I have no real recollection of ever managing in Italy before, and almost certainly not at this level in Italy, so this will be an interesting season at the very least.

good luck, the Italian group is coming together nicely.

The finalised list of league re-set dates.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">France - 19th June

Germany - 19th June

Italy - 29th June

Portugal - 27th June

Spain - 9th July</pre>

Perhaps dafuge could add this to the opening post alongside where the list of possible nations is?

I could post this in the mod requests thread?

I've decided I'm ready to give this challenge a proper go. I'll report back when some unlucky souls appoints me as their manager.

All good, And yeah its not easy in Germany though I am enjoying my second dab at Italian football

I had a great game in Italy so fancied something new

Two days into my new job and rumour is about that I will soon to be having a new chairman

I've decided to go with the Nocerina, a small side founded in 1910, whose largest claim to fame is Serie B participation in 1948 and 1979 after two Serie C championships in '47 and '78 (surprising, no?). They are fiercely proud of their team pressuring Juventus in the 1996 Italy Cup, taking a 1-0 lead at halftime in the replay game after holding them scoreless in the first game. They would end up losing, but they fought proud against the Champions League winning side.

They are based out of Nocera Inferiore, in the Province of Salerno, in a 12000 all-seater stadium with 13 contracted players, only one of which is over 16.

The media suggests we could make it to 7th place in the C2/C, and the board is expecting a top-half finish. I am starting to sweat...

Mark Snellink, Manager - Nocerina

Originally posted by ashton321:

End of Season Update 08/09 SV Eintracht Trier 05

Good Season all in all nice posistion in the league which we can build on next year with a few additions.

I had a great time in front of goal.

table

Very good Work Ashton...any chance we could have a transfers list icon_smile.gif

Participants

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Team Season League Achievements

</pre><hr class="ev_code_hr" />

Rlipscombe Como 11/12 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

09/10 Promoted Via Playoffs

10/11 Relegated

iacovone Albalonga 08/09 Serie C2/B

Des Tiny AS Casale 08/09 Serie C2/A

Gilbster Brindisi 08/09 Serie C2/C

Mark Snellink Nocerina 08/09 Serie C2/C

JoseRR Alfaro 08/09 Second Div B2

Freek Teek Munster 09/10 Regional Div West

Ashton Trier 09/10 Regional Div West

Participants

Player Team Season League Achievements

</pre><hr class="ev_code_hr" />

Rlipscombe Como 11/12 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

09/10 Promoted Via Playoffs

10/11 Relegated

iacovone Albalonga 08/09 Serie C2/B

Des Tiny AS Casale 08/09 Serie C2/A

Gilbster Brindisi 08/09 Serie C2/C

Mark Snellink Nocerina 08/09 Serie C2/C

JoseRR Alfaro 08/09 Second Div B2

Freek Teek Munster 09/10 Regional Div West

Ashton Trier 09/10 Regional Div West</pre>

AS Casale 08/09 Preseason Friendlies

Friendlies

vs Castel San Pietro 1-1 HT: 0-0 Att: 432 MoM: Cavagna

Cavagna (52)

vs Alessandria 2-2 HT: 1-1 Att: 486 MoM: Cavagna

Sanci (12) Cavagna (pen 50)

vs Novara 1-1 HT: 0-0 Att: 504

Alizzi (84)

vs Domegliara 5-2 HT: 4-1 Att: 435 MoM: Rota

Papa (7) Rota (20,23) Fattori (40,pen 62)

vs Andria 2-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 431 MoM: Cavagna

Rota (3) Cavagna (12)

vs Derthona 2-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 465 MoM: Fattori

Fattori (4) Rota (22)

vs Valenzana 3-3 HT: 1-3 Att: 449

Rota (43) Papa (54) Cavagna (82)

vs Carpendolo 2-2 HT: 0-1 Att: 438

Cavagna (55) Papa (57)

</pre>

Well an unbeaten preseason was a delight for me, playing 4 C2 clubs, 1 C1 club and 3 Serie D squads for 3 wins and 5 draws including two great comebacks. Very happy with most of my squad though I have a few worries. My Chairman will not give me a parent club, I am over my wage budget, there are not enough people coming to my games, and I have absolutely no depth in the squad...its a worry. But we will keep on plugging and update you more later.

Fixtures

Player Friendly Stats

Promotion odds

Serie C Group Draw

Board Expectations

Three Players to watch in my future

Rota - Star DC and excellent in the air

Fattori - AMC and likely Captain

Cavagna - Another Midfielder and a great workhorse

so back to my game now see you all soon.

pretty good start there Des. pre-season seems to have gone well. i like the look of Rota, and particularly Cavagna. i reckon he'll turn out to be the star of your season.

bit of a pain not being able to get a parent club.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

pretty good start there Des. pre-season seems to have gone well. i like the look of Rota, and particularly Cavagna. i reckon he'll turn out to be the star of your season.

bit of a pain not being able to get a parent club.

Yeah i like all three of the players I listed, I did make Fattori Captain, over my 44 year old reserve Keeper. I am fairly happy with that start...three games into the season now, will give an update at the end of the Serie C Cup Group Stage as normal

Originally posted by ashton321:

I will put the rest of my updates up later on today

It is going to be tough to get up as only the top team get promotion

look forward to it. it will be tough, and might take a little longer, but it might mean you're better prepared for the next league once you get there. good luck icon14.gif

Archived