[FM10] This is a Tribute - DodgeeD's World Tour

DodgeeD

Lets hope you can put that Solomon Islands knowledge to good use in your attempt to get the squad capable of a mid-table finish!

:D I wonder how long that knowledge will stay on my profile.

Restrictions wise, the rules state no more than 4 foreigners in the matchday squad. The league is split into opening and closing stages (like many in South America) but there is no complicated play-off system. Relegation is settled by average points over 3 seasons and I'll have to be wary of that as a couple of bad seasons have dragged Olimpo down.

Apparently, Bahia Blanca is famous as the city that produces Argentina's best basketball players. Time to sort that out!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From one end of the world to the other! Good luck with the Argies DodgeeD, I had a save there on FM08 with Sarmiento de Junin and enjoyed my time in South America. Good luck toppling Boca and River ;) and hopefully you'll have the same success there that you had in Mexico :D.

Also, don't forget to top up on your air miles when travelling to and from South Korea :D.

From one end of the world to the other! Good luck with the Argies DodgeeD, I had a save there on FM08 with Sarmiento de Junin and enjoyed my time in South America. Good luck toppling Boca and River and hopefully you'll have the same success there that you had in Mexico.
Your Argentinian game was a good read - in a way then I'm still following you in this thread!
But nice for you to continue to promote Asian youth football with the South Korean youth team. Good luck with your new club.
I intend to return to Asia at some point (or the A-League at least) but for now the South Koreans will keep my interest there.
Awesome DodgeeD, a new South American chapter awaits. Really looking forward to your exploits at Olimpo
Best of luck in Argentina DodgeeD

Thanks guys. :thup: I've never had a save in Argentina before so I'm looking forward to it. :)

I think this will be tough... The squad is in desperate need of some depth with no decent cover for the goalkeeper, central defence, the wings and attacking midfield but I only have 28k to spend (no decent players available below 250k it seems), I can only sign 4 new players in the January transfer window and it seems player with expiring contracts can't be approached for some reason... My only option is to make four very astute loan signings. Parent club Boca offered me two very good players but neither wanted to come. :(

Won my first match in charge 4-2 though (coming back from 2-0 down to do it as well :thup:)

I had the same problem in my 08 save DodgeeD and it caused some panic for me too! Wait until the January transfer window has finished and you'll be able to offer contracts to your players. I don't know why you can't during the window :confused:.

You have to be very wise in who you sign in the window due to only being able sign 4 players. Just don't forget about players you've agreed contracts with prior to the Jan window as I found out. I agreed terms with 4 youngsters in July (who were no where near 1st team action but were touted as future stars) who then joined in Jan when their contracts had expired meaning I couldn't strengthen the team when I needed to badly.

In the end, loans were all I managed. Two defenders both capable of playing full back or central, a central midfielder and a striker. I hope that's enough for mid-table.

I also have a few players lined up to come in on frees ,n the summer but there are plenty of squad players who will be released too... I'll just have to keep my scouts travelling across the contitnent in the hope they unearth some bargains before the summer.

Uh-oh... Not a good sign - for the last two matches the computer has frozen for 5 minutes before starting the match and I've then had to watch it on a black pitch. Hopefully, it's just a little glitch and not a recurring problem...

EDIT: Phew! Latest match started normally.

Olimpo March 2014 Update

After taking over in December 2013, we are now just past the halfway point in the closing stage (clasura) of the league. The squad I inherited was weak in several areas but with no money and only 4 transfers allowed to be made in January, I had little chance to address those problems. And so, I re-jigged my tactics to a 4-1-3-2 formation with the back four and the DM set to hold their defensive positions and the midifield trio and strikers set to attack. Read on to see how it went...

Argentine 2nd Division Clasura

First game started badly as we were 2 goals down to San Martin after 15 minutes but we levelled the game before half-time and went on to win 4-2. Any optimism was soon quashed as we failed to win our next 4 games (we did, however, pick up a very credible point away to apertura champions Chacarita). A few minor tactical tweaks here and there and it suddenly clicked and we started to win, picking up a maximum 15 points from our next 5 games and soared up to 2nd in the table. One worry, however, has to be the defence as we’ve only kept one clean sheet so far and we have one of the worst defensive records in the division!

Current standings | Results

My three loan signings have made a big difference:

Jaime Concha – the Chilean striker is in on a 6-month loan and has been sensational so far, scoring in the last 6 games.

Vicente Bordad – the Uruguyuan has provided much needed stability on the left side of defence.

José Luis Lopez – has proved to be a creative force in midfield so far with 5 assists.

Just a shame they are only loanees. :( I tried to include future fees in the deals but their clubs all refused.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Korea U19s Update

No games to report on in my other job but the draw for October’s Asian U19 Championship has been made. We will face a tough task against hosts China but Indonesia, who we beat in qualifying, and Thailand shouldn’t provide too many problems and I’m confident we can reach the knockout stages

Group Draw

2013/14 Season Review: Olimpo

108542.png

Competitions

Argentine 2nd Division

Opening Stage: 13th (I took over after the opening stage was completed)

Closing Stage: 5th

Overall: 8th

After my last update, we had a poor run with 3 defeats in four games that saw us drop out of the top 5. We reached our nadir with this loss, but bounced back to win our next match in style, setting new club records in the process. :cool: By that point it was too late to get back in the play-off picture but we had a chance to go 3rd on the final day but an away trip to 2nd placed side Godoy Cruz was always going to be tough and we lost 2-1 to finish 5th.

Considering the players at my disposal, I’m happy with our closing stage performance. Who knows? Had I been in charge all season we may have made the promotion play-offs (not quite sure how those work but they look very complicated!). I guess the board like what they see though as they have offered me a new 3-year deal.

Key Players

Jaime Concha (ST) – topscorer in the closing stage with 13 goals. He even had the Chile manager come to watch him play a couple of times. Alas, he did not want to extend the loan deal...

José Luiz Lopez (MC)created so many chances for us but feels he can brea into the Independiente first team next season so he won’t be coming back.

Vincente Bordad (DL) – our best defender by far but see above for our chances of keeping him.

Claudio Velasquez (ST) – topscorer over the whole season and best player at the club, reflected by his selection as Supporters' Player of the Year.

Alexis Wade (DR) –the most consistent performer before I arrived at the club and kept that form up afterwards too. Currently being stubborn over a new contract as he wants a ₤40k signing on fee but the board will only sanction ₤24k.

Fredrico Sardella (DM) – did a great job as the anchor man and when rotated into more adavanced positions.

Gustavo Rodas (AMC) – supported the attack very well as the adavanced playmaker. Unfortunately, he had a non-promotion release cluase of ₤300k in his contract and sveral European clubs are interested in bidding.

The Season Ahead...

A lot of rebuilding is needed over the summer as the loanees return to their clubs and I let the deadwood go. I also risk losing three first teamers as their contracts are up and the board won’t meet their wage and/or signing on fee demands. As if that wasn’t enough, two more first teamers have non-promotion release fees in their contracts and are refusing to negotiate new deals. With no money to spend, I’ll have to scour the free transfer market and make some more loan signings in order to compete. I do have one of the biggest teams on the continent as my parent side in the shape of Boca Juniors so I hope manager Juan Sebastian Veron (yes, that Man Utd and Chelsea flop) sends some decent reserves and up and coming youngsters my way.

Three pre-contract deals arranged so far (the first of many I hope):

Luis Ardente (GK) – I was in desperate need of a deent second choice and Ardente will be it.

Martin Granero (DM/MC) – he will add some depth to the midfield and some experience to the squad.

Gustavo Fernandez (FC) – unwanted by River Plate but we’ll be more than happy to give him a chance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Club Watch: Tai Po

At first, Tai Po seemed to struggle without me as most of the coaching staff left, players requested transfers and the club bombed out of the Senior Shield in their first game. They also crashed out of the League Cup but then the new boss steadied the boat and the club managed to win all their remaining league games to take the title by 8 points. They also reached the Confederation Cup quarter finals with ease. The only blight on a stunning second half of the season was an early exit in the FA Cup. I’m already off the favoured personnel list... :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story So Far....

Tai Po (Hong Kong)

[u][b][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/b][/u][b][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Pos.[/u]  [u]Domestic Cups[/u]         [/font][/b][b][font=Courier New][u]Continental[/u]
[/font][/b][url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4373784&postcount=25"][font=Courier New]2009-10[/font][/url][font=Courier New]  Hong Kong 1st  4th   FA Cup Final          ACC 2ndR
                             League Cup SF
                             Senior Shield QF[/font]
[font=Courier New]------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4403836&postcount=40"]2010-11[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  2nd   FA Cup 1st Round      -
                             League Cup Final
                             Senior Shield SF

------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4442462&postcount=53"]2011-12[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  2nd   FA Cup SF             ACC Group Stage
                             League Cup Group
                             Senior Shield SF
[/font][font=Courier New]------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4502050&postcount=83"]2012-13[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  3rd   FA Cup 1st Round      ACC Finalists
                             League Cup Group
                             Senior Shield Winners

Resigned in October 2013
[/font]

Olimpo de Bahia Blanca (Argentina)

[font=Courier New]Appointed December 2013[/font]

[u][b][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/b][/u][b][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Open[/u]  [u]Close[/u]  [u]Overall[/u]  [u]Continental[/u]
[/font][/b][url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4603769&postcount=115"][font=Courier New]2013-14[/font][/url][font=Courier New]  Argentine 2nd[/font][font=Courier New]  -     5th    9th[/font][font=Courier New]      N/A[/font]

Are you enjoying my career so far? Please give it a rating :thup:

Nice work with Olimpo DodgeeD. Hope you replace those loanees (you relied a bit too much on them :p) with some solid players on frees and have Veron give you a good player or two.

Seems like you're going to be busy in the offseason finding new players. Good luck. :thup:

Good work by Tai Po to win the league, but like usual, all clubs have short memory. :thdn: Something to change for FM11.

Thanks for the comments rancer. :thup: Indeed, this is shaping up to be a long, hard off-season.

I'm getting annoyed at my board now... Rodas left for 500k (previously negotiated release clause), a deal which has put the club firmly in the black but they won't cough up the extra 16k Wade wants to sign on again. He's out of contract now so I have to hope I can persuade him or the board to compromise before he walks.

On the plus side, left-back will be now problem as I've just had my best youth player on FM10 yet come through the ranks. :) Only 16 but he'll be straight into the 1st team squad. (Screenie to come later)

DodgeeD really enjoying following this career (reminds me to start a career thread).

It would be good to see a career summary at the end of each of your updates (club, league, position) just so that can see in one place your career evolving.

Keep it up :thup:

Cheers for the comments mag man. :thup: I've been updating my progress on page 1 (here), mainly because for some reason when I copy/paste from Word these days the coded parts get muddled up but I'll start editing it in from now on. :)

Looking forward to seeing a career thread from you soon. :thup:

2014 World Cup Review

Hosts: Brazil/Holders: Italy

Notable absentees: England, Russia, Ivory Coast

Group Stage (teams in bold progress):

Group A

Italy

Japan

Tunisia

Poland

Group B

France

Switzerland

Honduras

Ecuador

Group C

Argentina

Turkey

Mexico

Nigeria

Group D

Germany

Colombia

Sweden

Iran

Group E

Portugal

Australia

Uruguay

Romania

Group F

Ukraine

Brazil

Senegal

Bahrain

Group G

Czech Republic

Cameroon

Chile

U.S.A.

Group H

Spain

Holland

Ghana

South Korea

Groups of death at this World Cup with C & H looking very tough. Surprising to see Mexico, Uruguay and Chile go out early with the tournament in Latin America. U.S.A. bombed with 3 defeats in an admittedly tough group. Shock of the round though was hosts Brazil only drawing with Senegal and Bahrain and scraping through in 2nd behind Ukraine before sacking manager Muricy Ramalho and replacing him mid-tournamnet with Roberto Carlos! :eek::D

2nd Round:

Switzerland(e) 2, Italy 1

France 2, Japan 0

Argentina 3, Colombia 0

Turkey 0, Germany(p) 0

Brazil 1, Portugal 0

Ukraine 4, Australia 0

Holland 0, Czech Republic 2

Spain(p) 0, Cameroon 0

Brazil's new boss did the trick then! Holland and Italy the surprise exits this time round.

Quarter-finals:

Switzerland 2, Germany 1

France 1, Argentina 2

Brazil 2, Spain 0

Ukraine 1, Czech Republic 0

The Swiss march on as do Ukraine. Can they upset the South American big boys?

Semi-finals:

Switzerland 0, Ukraine 1

Argentina 0, Brazil(e) 1

Crazy stuff as Brazil score on 120 (+3) to make the final!

3rd-place play-off:

Argentina 1, Switzerland 2

Final:

Ukraine 0, Brazil 3

Brazil win on home soil, giving Roberto Carlos the World Cup after just 4 games in charge! Credit to Ukraine and Switzerland on getting as far as they did.

Nice progress in the Clasura DodgeeD :thup: and your new youth player looks quality for a 16 year old :eek:. Let's hope you can kick on now you'll have a full apetura as well as the clasura. Who were the 2 teams to come down? (providing they lost the playoff that is). From my experience there was a bit of difference in class between teams that came down from the Premier compared to the teams in the 2nd div which made it difficult to get out of the 2nd.

Belgrano and Gimnasia (J) came down. Gimnasia are 2nd after 5 games but Belgrano have sunk down to near the bottom... I haven't played either yet. Anyway, I'm behind on my updates - got a transfer update to post before I get too far into the season. :p

2014/15 Season Preview: Olimpo

Plenty of ins and outs over the summer despite my measly ₤35k budget, all of which was moved to the wage budget in an attempt to get Alexis Wade to sign a new deal. Unfortunately, even ₤400 per week more than he wanted couldn’t tempt him to accept the board’s maximum ₤24k signing on fee as he held out for ₤36k (I couldn’t be bothered to do the maths but I’m sure he would have more than recouped that 12k over the course of a year with the extra weekly wage). Anyway, nobody’s come in for him yet so he stays on a month-to-month deal so there’s still hope I’ll be able to tie him down to a new deal at some point.

Transfers

First up, a change to the backroom staff as I let the useless ass man I inherited go at the end of his contract and brought in Nicolas Sartori. Decent stats across the board and good JPA and JPP, just what I look for and way better than what I could find in Hong Kong!

My three freebies signed last season all arrived to great fanfare with the fans delighted at my eye for a bargain. I added two more free transfers as a couple of youngsters came in to bolster the midfield:

Rodrigo Mazzoni (MC) - I guess this regen came through without a club as there’s nothing in his club history. After reading my scout reports and seeing that he was a free agent, I snapped him up. Already rated as one of the best central midfielders at the club with the potential to be much more.

Sergio Mariño (DM/MC) – one for the future (potential good 1st Division player). Unlikely to get games this season so I sent him on loan to feeder club Alte Brown.

Loans

With no money to spend and absolutley no depth to the first team squad, I was very busy in the loans market. Parent club Boca sent these two my way:

Daniel Suarez (DR) – with Alexis Wade stalling over a new deal, a back-up at right back was essential.

Leo (DC/DM/MC) – his versatility will be useful in case of an injury crisis.

I picked up two more defenders from top division clubs:

Enrique Nuñez (DC) – comes in from San Lorenzo. Bit of a donkey but he’ll do for now!

Ignacio Garcia (DC) – loaned from Tigre. High aggression and bravery should help intimidate opposition strikers.

To add some flair to my midfield, I went abroad:

Filipe (AMC) – in from Brazilian side Vasco. All round decent stats for this level.

Julio Muñoz (AM/FC) – from Chilean club Colo Colo. Nowhere near as good as last season’s Chilean loan supertstar Concha but he’ll have to do...

Fernando Hidalgo (AMRC) – also from Colo Colo. I plan to use him as a supersub, pitting his pace against tiring defenders.

Another exciting youth prospect in Mazzoni. For a 16 year old his stats look great :eek:!

Looks like you're depending on loans again :D But that's what they're for right?! Let's hope they can do the business for you this year :thup:

Olimpo September 2014 Update

Argentine 2nd Division Opening Stage

v. Tallares (a), 4-0 loss

Terrible start! My new goalkeeper Ardente was at fault for two goals and got a 4.9 while Filipe and Fernandez also had poor debuts. Of last seasons stars, Wade seemed distarcted by ongoing contract wrangles and Velasquez, unsettled by a transfer bid from Rapid Wien (rejected) was woeful. 4-0 was actually a kind result!

v. Platense (a), 1-1

Neither side created much until Platense took the lead on 70 minutes. I feared another defeat but my boys rallied and Fernandez put his preivous performance behind him to score the equaliser 5 minutes from time.

v. Idependiente Rivadavia (h), 3-3

First home game of the season was an epic! Cavallo gave us an early lead but we had fallen 2-1 behind by half-time. Iribarren got us back on level terms with an early first half penalty but we went 3-2 down almost immediately. We battered Idependiente after that but, just as it seemed we were consigned to defeat, Iribarren unleashed a 30-yard rocket to equalise 4 minutes into injury time and send the ans home happy.

v. Aldosivi (h), 4-1 win

A confident display we never looked like losing. Velasquez finally stopped sulking and got the MoM award with a goal and 3 assists.

v. Quilmes (h), 5-2 win

A third home game in a row brought another win. This time, Fernandez was the creative attacking force with a brace and a hand in the other three. This game also saw a first goal for young midfield prospect Mazzoni. Slighty disappointed we let our concentration slip to concede twice in the 2nd half though.

v. Boca Unidos (a), 3-1 win

A first away win of the season courtesy of a Velasquez hat-trick.

v. Union (h), 3-1 win

My strikers were on form here as Velasquez, fernandez and Garcia scored one apiece.

v. Italiano (a), 6-1 win

I think those early matches can now be dismissed as a slow start! Velasquez was on fire with a club record 4 goals in a game and Sardella added two from midfield including a sublime lob.

v. Tiro Federal (h), 4-0 win

The run continued with a brace each from Velasquez (he’s scoring for fun at the moment!) and Fernandez. As an added bonus, we finally kept a clean sheet! :D Nevermind that it was against the bottom club...

Current Standings – after that run of wins, we find ourselves top of the pile! However, goal difference is all that seperates 1st, 2nd and 3rd and one or two bad results would see us slip down. We are also still to play Gimnasia (J) and both San Martin teams. Still, the goals are flowing and confidence is high - anything is possible!

Having won all 5 games played in September, I was named Manager of the Month. Velasquez’s sensational form earned him the Player of the Month accolade – and all that while he’s still sulking about the rejected transfer bid! I wonder how many he would have scored if he wasn’t unsettled...

Filipe, my loan signing from Vasco and our creative playmaker (most assists so far this season), got injured in training - cruciate ligament damage so no choice but to send him back to his club for treatment... Good thing I signed two other AMCs on loan from Chile I suppose!

AFCU-19.jpg

CHINA 2014

Time to take a break from Olimpo and head back to the Far East as I take my South Korean U19 side to the Asian U19 Championship.

Group Stage Results

South Korea 2, Thailand 1

South Korea 1, China 0

South Korea 2, Indonesia 0

Final Group Table - A straightforward group campaign with Thailand the only team to give us a run for our money.

Quarter-final

South Korea 3, Uzbekistan 1 - Despite being reduced to ten men with the score at 0-0, we dominated and recorded an easy win

Semi-final

South Korea 1, Japan 0 - a tight game against fierce rivals was settled by a header from a corner midway through the 2nd half.

Final

South Korea 0, Australia 0 (South Korea win 5-4 on penalties) - to be fair, Australia played much better but they couldn't finish. We held our nerve in the shoot out with all 5 spot kicks converted but the Aussies missed their last one to hand us the title!

Results

5 South Koreans made the All-Star XI including three defenders and the goalkeeper, reflecting our strength at the back (a refreshing change from the leaky defence I see every week at Olimpo :D).

I think that may be it for me and the U19s. Reaching the semis guaranteed South Korea a spot at next year's U20 World Cup but as the U20 side has a different manager, I won't be going. Best to leave on a high anyway. :D

Olimpo November 2014 Update

Argentine 2nd Division Opening Stage

v. C.A.I. de Chubut (a), 4-3 win

Another nail-biting goalfest! An early lead was wasted as we fell 2-1 behind before the break. Iribarren made it 2-2 on 76 minutes, only for us to go 3-2 down on 77 minutes as our goalie came off his line as was lobbed from 50 yards. An own goal on 85 minutes put us level again and Velasquez did the business once more as he won the ball from the re-start, ran through the opposition defence and slotted the ball past the keeper to seal a dramatic win.

v. San Martin (T) (a), 1-0 loss

Our winning streak finally ended as we failed to score for the first time since the opening day.

v. Belgrano (a), 1-1

The home side were strong in the first half and took a deserved lead. We piled on the pressure in the 2nd half but had to wait for a stoppage time own goal to take a share of the points.

v. Rafaela (h), 5-3 win

We should have thrashed Rafaela more convincingly but yet again, our leaky defence made a meal out of an easy game. On the plus side, the win out us top of the table once again.

v. San Martin (SJ) (a), 4-0 win

I flew in from the Asian U19 tournament in China for this game and it was well worth the journey! Velasquez set the ball rolling with an early goal and Fernandez added two more before the break. A red card for San Martin effectively ended the game as a contest and Iribarren completed the rout shortly afterwards.

v. Def. y Justica (h), 3-1 win

Again, we benefitted from a man advantage for more than half of the game after a red card for the opposition. Muñoz scored the pick of the goals with Mazzoni and Garcia ensuring DyJ’s strike was of no consequence.

v. Merlo (h), 2-1 win

This time, we were on the receiving end of a red card but we still took a two goal lead thanks to goals from each of my centre backs. Merlo pulled one back with 5 minutes left but any hopes of a comeback for them were quashed when they also had a man sent off.

v. Huracan (a), 3-1 loss

We suffered a crisis in midfield ahead of the game with Sardella and Iribarren out injured, Fernandez suspended and Mazzoni off early for an U20 game. It showed as Huracan overran us in the centre of the park and deservedly won.

v. Gimnasia (J) (a), 2-1 win

With the end of the opening stage drawing close, a key win. Mazzoni set us on our way with a 30-yard screamer. Gimnasia drew level but not for long as an own goal 2 minutes later handed us the win.

v. Instituto (h), 1-1

We went into this game top and needing just a point to stay there. That’s just what we got although we should have won with the chances we have.

Opening Stage Final Table – and so we finish the first half of the season top and qualified for the end of season promotion play-offs!

As this offers a natural break in the season, here’s a look at the key players so far:

Claudio Velasquez – in sensational form averaging just under a goal a game. Still unhappy though...

Rodrigo Mazzoni – consistently turning in performances that defy his young age. 8 assists have made him a key part of our midifield creativity.

Victor Cavallo – our best defender, solid at the back and threat from corners.

On to the closing stage then with the comfort of no pressure as we will be in the promotion hunt come the end of the season whatever happens. :)

Nice work DodgeeD in the opening stage. What is your asking price for Velasquez? It might be good to start thinking about selling him if he's unhappy and looking for possible replacements... (my policy is that I only want players who want to play for my club. If there's anyone unhappy I usually just sell them to the highest bidder)

Good luck in the Closing Stage. :thup:

A great first half of the season DodgeeD :thup:. A repeat of that for the Clasura will be great!

Also, a superb return from Velasquez and i'm still amazed at how good your 16 year old looks! Definitely one to keep hold of. With Velasquez's contract soon coming to end and with him unhappy, I guess you'll have to look to sell him soon?

Nice work DodgeeD in the opening stage. What is your asking price for Velasquez? It might be good to start thinking about selling him if he's unhappy and looking for possible replacements... (my policy is that I only want players who want to play for my club. If there's anyone unhappy I usually just sell them to the highest bidder)

Good luck in the Closing Stage. :thup:

A great first half of the season DodgeeD :thup:. A repeat of that for the Clasura will be great!

Also, a superb return from Velasquez and i'm still amazed at how good your 16 year old looks! Definitely one to keep hold of. With Velasquez's contract soon coming to end and with him unhappy, I guess you'll have to look to sell him soon?

Cheers guys. I was surprised we managed to hold onto first place but as the top teams are evenly matched, they all beat each other and helped us out. ;)

I've just entered the transfer window so I'll have to start offering Velasquez out before he leaves for free... I don't trust my chairman to let me bring in a replacement though as he only allowed me 10% of transfer income in the summer and I've missed out on a couple of freebies already for the same reason as Wade won't sign a new deal - the signing on fee. The board won't budge on the cap of 24k but most players want at least 40k... :mad:

Olimpo Dec 2014/Jan 2015 Update

December: 2nd Division Closing Stage

The closing stage kicked off straight away with two games before the mid-season break (a summer break I suppose as this is the Southern hemisphere!). I was satisified with a win and a draw, especially as our defence suddenly seems to have remembered how to defend effectively. ;)

Results:

v. Platense (h), 1-0

v. Idependiente Rivadavia (a), 1-1

January: Transfers

We had a quiet transfer window, but then again, it’s always a quiet window as league rules restrict each club to 4 new signings. Two new deals to report on:

Dudu (DRLC) – came in on a pre-arranged deal (we were waiting for him to turn 18). He can play anywhere in defence and I’ll be moulding him to take one of the full back slots in the future.

Fagundo Martinez Montagnoli (AMC) – try saying that with your mouth full! I tried to sign this guy as a free agent at the start of the season but he turned us down. Still a free agent 5 months later, he changed his mind. The fans and the club’s past greats all think I’ve made a great signing – I hope they are right.

Elsewhere, frustration as I tried and failed to get Velasquez, Fernandez and Cavallo to sign new deals and then tired and failed to sell them. Fernandez ended up signing a pre-contract with Chievo and will leave at the end of the season. Velasquez and Cavallo say they want to consider their options for now.

2nd Division Closing Stage

There was one game played at the end of the month as the league resumed and we had the chance to make up for our opening day thrashing by Tallares. Montagnoli had a storming debut, giving us the lead with a fine long-range effort. Alas, he went off injured (out for 3 weeks) and Talleres pulled level but still a decent result.

Results:

v. Tallares (h), 1-1

Olimpo February 2015 Update

A busy month with 6 league games. We got off to a flier with two big wins away from home, Gustavo Fernandez showing why a whole host of European clubs were chasing him with 4 goals at Aldosivi. Garcia went one better in the next game, bagging 5 as we thrashed Quilmes overshadowing a Velasquez hat-trick (not bad for a player with only 2 goals from 6 starts beforehand). We then suffered a dip in form, picking up just 3 points from the next 4 games with particularly disappointing home draws with Boca Unidos and Italiano, two of the weaker sides in the division.

Results:

v. Aldosivi (a), 5-0 win

v. Quilmes (a), 9-1 win

v. Boca Unidos (h), 1-1

v. Union (a), 1-0 loss

v. Italiano (h), 0-0

v. C.A.I. de Chubut (a), 2-2

Current Standings – We sit 7th but, as ever, it’s tight as we are just 3 points off the lead but only 2 points ahead of 12th. Hopefully, our form will pick up in march and we can turn some of those draws into wins.

Garcia’s goalscoring form (he scored both goals aginst C.A.I. de Chubut as well) earned him 2nd in the Player of the Month award. A travesty! – should have been first in my opinion. :p

Olimpo March 2015 Update

Back on form with a bang at the start of the month as, despite going behind and having a man sent off, we thumped San Martin 5-2 with Velasquez netting a hat-trick and becoming Olimpo’s all-time leading scorer in the process (57 goals). :thup: Unfortunately, injuries and suspensions the hit our defence hard and we suffered a reverse of the same scoreline in our next game. The first half of the next game against Belgrano was just as bad until a turnaround second half performance sparked off by a battling Mazzoni goal, saw us win 4-2. We rounded the month off with another repeat scoreline, thankfully in our favour!

Results:

v. San Martin (T) (h), 5-2 win

v. Tiro Federal (a), 5-2 loss

v. Belgrano (h), 4-2 win

v. Rafaela (a), 4-2 win

Current Standings – that win over Rafaela allowed us to go top but just to show how tight the league is, we were 7th before the start of play! 6 games to go – let’s hope we can stay where we are. :)

A great month for 16 year-old Mazzoni means he picks up the Player of the Month award. :cool: Also, despite that pitiful performance at Tiro Federal, 3 wins out of 4 caused the powers that be to name me Manager of the Month for the second time this season. :)

In other news, good and bad as Martin Granero finally lowered his signing on fee demand and signed a new deal but Alexis Wade, who had been on a month-to-month deal all season, finally left the club to join a Brazilian 3rd Division side. Velasquez is now ready to negotiate a new deal but he wants 75k as a signing on bonus and the board will give no more than 28k so nothing's changed there.

Olimpo April/May 2015 Update

April

An unlucky draw started the month as we conceded an own goal in stoppage time. Fernandez made sure we were back to winning ways in the next game with a hat-trick as we won 4-0. Montagnoli took entre stage for the next game, scoring two and setting up the other two as we strolled to a 4-1 over an in-form Huracan side. The month ended with a poor result though as we suffered defeat a Merlo. Had we won, we would have gone 2 points clear with two games to go...

Results:

v. San Martin (SJ) (h), 2-2

v. Def. y Justica (a), 4-0 win

v. Huracan (h), 4-1 win

v. Merlo (a), 2-0 loss

Our fine goalscoring form led to another Player of the Month award, this time Gustavo Fernandez, soon to be of Chievo, getting the gong.

May

Disaster agaist Gimnasia as we were 2-1 up only to concede in imjury time and draw, a result which left us 3 points behind C.A.I. de Chubut going into the last game. We thrashed Instituto but out hopes were dashed by two early goals for Chubut in their game. Late drama ensued though as their opponents, Def. y Justica, scored twice late on. I was watching the ‘latest scores’ widget more than the game at the end willing the third goal but it didn’t come and so we ended the clasura phase in 2nd place.

Results:

v. Gimnasia (J) (h), 2-2

v. Instituto (a), 4-0 win

Clasura Final Table – Overall, I’m happy with 2nd but now we must turn our attention to the promotion play-offs. As apertura winners, we face clasura winners C.A.I. de Chubut with the winner going straight up. Even if we lose, we get a second chance against the other top performers from this season so, fingers crossed, we can go up.

Overall Table – we topped the combined table with ease, meaning that, although promotion is yet to be decided, we are officially 2nd Division Champions! :D

Olimpo May 2015 Update EXTRA!

Argentine 2nd Division First Promotion Play-Off

For those of you unfamiliar with how the end of the season works in most South American countries, championships, promotions and relegations are often settled by play-offs with each country trying to outdo each other in terms of complexity. :D I'll try to keep this as simple as possible - as apertura champions, we face the clasura champions over two legs with the winer going up. The loser.... well, we'll get to that only if necessary as that's where the Argentine system gets a bit complicated!

First leg

We had home advantage for the first game and I build up our attacking prowess before the match as we were top scorers in the league with 72 goals and our opponents, C.A.I. de Chubut had conceded 53 in 38 matches. It paid off as we dominated the opening 20 minutes before Velasquez chose a good time to end his goal drought. Chubut then equalised with their first shot on target but our lead was soon restored through Fernandez. Velasquez hit another before the break and we were cruising, not even concerned by Mantagnoli's missed penalty. Sardella scored off a fine team move early in the 2nd half to put us 4-1 up. Chubut gave us a little scare late on as they cut the deficit to two with their second shot on target but Muñoz added a fifth for us in injury time with a fine solo effort to out us firmly in control of the tie.

Result: Olimpo 5, C.A.I. de Chubut 2

Second leg

All we had to do to secure promotion was protect our lead. Chubut really came at us early on but we shut them out and then killed off their slim hopes with a breakaway goal from fernandez just before half-time. Chubut equalised in the second half but there was no fight in them and we ran down the clock to secure our promotion to ther First Division!

Result: C.A.I. de Chubut 1, Olimpo 1 (Olimpo win 6-3 on aggregate and are promoted)

Once promotion was secured, fans, players, club icons and the board alike expressed their delight. As a result of our success, the club has also finally made progress in contract talks with Cavallo and Velasquez with new deal expected to be signed soon. :thup:

2014/15 Season Review

108542.png

Competitions

102422.png

Opening Stage:

1st

Closing Stage:

2nd

Overall:

1st

Promotion Play-off:

Winners in First Play-Off – PROMOTED!

A great season in which we exceeded expectations by claiming the title and getting promoted in the process. That means next season we get to play some of the biggest clubs in South American football, such as Boca Juniors and River Plate. Bring it on!

Key Players

Victor Cavallo (DC) – the standout player in an admittedly leaky defence. With his contract up, he was being chased by a number of Dutch, Greek and Czech clubs but he has now decided to stay! Chosen as the Fans’ Player of the Year at the end of the season.

Hernan Fernandez (DL) – a great debut season from the 17 year-old as he came staright from the youth ranks into the first team. Now rated as a potential leading star for the 1st Division

Martin Larossa (DR) – this one was a bit of a surprise as he was right there in my youth team the whole time but I never noticed him until Wade left the club. He filled in admirably until the end of the season and I hope his development continues next season.

Gabriel Iribarren (MC)a creative spark in the middle of the park. His age prevented him from playing more often but he was effective when fit. A shame he probably hasn’t got the legs for the top flight.

Rodrigo Mazzoni (MC) – half the age of Iribarren but twice the player! An incredible debut season led to him even being mentioned as an outside bet for Player of the Year. I wonder how long I can hold onto him before the inevitable move to Europe comes.

Facundo Martinez Montagnoli (AMC) – joined on a free in January and quickly became a star in the team, constantly getting involved in attacks and harassing opposing defences.

Claudio Velasquez (ST) – the goals dried up a little in the second half of the season but still finished as the club’s topscorer. Indeed, he won the 2nd Division Topscorer award and placed 2nd in the Player of the Year poll. He has also just agreed terms on a new contract.

Gustavo Fernandez (ST) –picked up the slack from Velasquez in the 2nd half of the season with some impressive goals, finishing just behind his strike partner in the Topscorer award. A shame he will be leaving us but good luck to him in Italy.

The Season Ahead...

One goal – survival. It will be tough as my squad lacks depth and a number of players will not be good enough for the top flight. My link with Boca has also been cut as we are in the same division and the clubs who were happy to loan me players for free now want loan fees and higher wage contribution or they don’t want to deal with a ‘divisional rival’ at all... A long pre-season awaits as I get my scouts busy and scour the free transfer lists and bargain basement deals!

No player deals yet but I have been busy recruiting backroom staff so here are a couple of teasers:

-Which former international player whose career took him to Italy and included a spell at Chelsea has joined my coaching staff?

-Which former international who graced the turf of Fratton Park is now on my scouting team?

-Which ex-Sevilla player and one time Brazilian international has joined the above as a scout?

Former Club Watch: Tai Po

It seems me leaving was the best thing that happened to Tai Po as they have just secured their second title in a row. They are also still in the Confederation Cup, having reached the quarter finals again. No cup success but they did reach the finals of both the Senior Shield and the League Cup.

Hong Kong 1st Division

(a little check of how much attention those of you who followed the start of my career in Hong Kong – do you notice anything surprising about that table?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story So Far....

Tai Po (Hong Kong)

[u][b][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/b][/u][b][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Pos.[/u]  [u]Domestic Cups[/u]         [/font][/b][b][font=Courier New][u]Continental[/u]
[/font][/b][url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4373784&postcount=25"][font=Courier New]2009-10[/font][/url][font=Courier New]  Hong Kong 1st  4th   FA Cup Final          ACC 2ndR
                             League Cup SF
                             Senior Shield QF[/font]
[font=Courier New]------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4403836&postcount=40"]2010-11[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  2nd   FA Cup 1st Round      -
                             League Cup Final
                             Senior Shield SF

------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4442462&postcount=53"]2011-12[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  2nd   FA Cup SF             ACC Group Stage
                             League Cup Group
                             Senior Shield SF
[/font][font=Courier New]------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4502050&postcount=83"]2012-13[/url]  Hong Kong 1st  3rd   FA Cup 1st Round      ACC Finalists
                             League Cup Group
                             Senior Shield Winners

Resigned in October 2013
[/font]

Olimpo de Bahia Blanca (Argentina)

[font=Courier New]Appointed December 2013[/font]

[u][b][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/b][/u][b][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Open[/u]  [u]Close[/u]  [u]Overall[/u]  [u]Play-offs[/u][/font][/b][b][font=Courier New]  [u]Continental[/u]
[/font][/b][url="http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4603769&postcount=115"][font=Courier New]2013-14[/font][/url][font=Courier New]  Argentine 2nd[/font][font=Courier New]  -     5th    9th[/font][font=Courier New]      N/A        N/A[/font]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font=Courier New]2014-15  Argentine 2nd  1st   2nd    1st      Promoted   N/A[/font]

Are you enjoying my career so far? Please give it a rating :thup:

South China relegated :D :D :D

Congrats on making it to the Premier Division DodgeeD :thup:. Now will come the real test! Boca, River, San Lorenzo.

Good to see Velasquez finally signing a new contract, hopefully the goals will still come with ease as they did in the First Division.

Yes, indeed, the Temple has been destroyed! South China go down with no mysterious FA decision to save them. ;) Having a look through their squad, I think they simply neglected to build up any domestic talent in their squad - it's full of foreigners, most of whom can't play due to the regulations. The other clubs have snapped up their decent domestic players and they slipped down. They also lost their goal machine Leandro Carrijo (Raware knows all too well how effective he was in the HK league) with the striker moving to Newell's Old Boys last season - so he gets to cost me points again as I take Olimpo into the Argentine 1st Division! :D

Cheers acidmonkey. :thup:

I've certainly found a few quality youngsters here already. Mazzoni is just insanely good and a leading 1st Division player at just 17 but (surprisingly) no interest in him yet. Larossa and Fernandez from my own academy have high potential as well. But generally, I find the same thing as always - the domestic regens are good but expensive and will choose crappy clubs in places like Austria and Bulgaria over you so the best and most affordable buys are found in places like Chile, Uruguay and Peru!

P.S. Following the summer's tournaments, I have the chance to return to international management. Find out who with in my next update. ;)

Summer 2015 International Update

A busy summer on the international scene with 3 continental championships held. Winners as follows:

Asian Cup: Australia - a lot of the big names fell early with hosts China and Saudi Arabia out in the group stage and Japan and South Korea knocked out in the quarter finals.

Gold Cup: Mexico- no surprises with the winner. The main shock came as Trinidad & Tobago knocked out the U.S.A. in the semis.

Copa America: Argentina - one year after World Cup success, Roberto Carlos finds himself sacked after Brazil lose in the final. His replacement? Former World Player of the Year, Rivaldo!

Following the competitions, several jobs became available including Chile, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and South Korea. I applied to South Korea as I thought my success with the U19s might put me in good stead but they turned me down and Chile took an age to reply so in the end, this happened:

2015Boliviajob.jpg

So it's time to pack my oxygen mask for trips to the high altitude of La Paz! Here's a brief rundown on my new job:

1650.png

Bolivia

Current World Ranking: 69th

Star Players: Diego Suarez | Juan Carlos Arce | Marcelo Moreno

Expectations: Be competitive in World Cup Qualifying

Suarez looks the business and he can play anywhere in midfield or attack. There are some good regens too but there is a definite lack of depth - a few injuries and we'll be in trouble. I also found a regen in Spain who has dual Spanish/Bolivian nationality but he has refused my call-ups so far.

Qualifying for the 2018 World Cup starts early in 2016 with Bolivia part of the mammoth South American pool. Hopefully, we can put in a good showing and finish ahead of the likes of Peru and Venezuala. Who knows? We might even sneak into the play-off spot.

We had one friendly shortly after I took over, with Suarez running the show as we beat Jamaica 3-0.

Archived