[FM10] This is a Tribute - DodgeeD's World Tour

DodgeeD

I'd like to go for one of the big clubs there like Sparta Prague or Galatasaray and see what I can do with them in Europe. :thup: But for now, we struggle in South America! :D

Will we be seeing your thread up soon? It's becoming one of the most anticipated threads of the year so far. ;)

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 2016 Olimpo Update

Primera Division Opening Stage

We started October with a rip-roaring game against Argentino, which we (luckily) managed to win. We then scored 4 again as we thrashed divisional whipping boys Italiano. José Cordoba, my Colombian AMC was the one to watch over as he scored 5 goals in the two games, which made the next piece of news all the worse: he picked up a training injury that would keep him out for two months. Without him, we put on a good showing against Arsenal, battering them in the second half but, with the scores at 1-1 on 85 minutes, they scored on the break and we came out of the game with nothing. Another good performance at Chacarita ended the month with Mazzoni revelling in his temporary AMC role but, once more, we couldn’t captalise for the win.

Results:

v. Argentinos (h), 4-3 win

v. Italiano (a), 4-1 win

v. Arsenal de Sarandi (h), 2-1 loss

v. Chacarita (a), 1-1

It really depends on whether you're willing to sacrifice short term success for big potential gains in the long term. It could go very well and you could be offered a job at a La Liga team or Premier League team within 2 years, but then again you could fail miserably and end up wasting a few years of your career with a team destined to nothing more than bounce between La Liga and Liga Adelente.

Personally, i'd stay at Olympia for the time being and see if another good job offer comes in within the next year or two, and also because i see it as a less risky route into one of the top leagues in Europe.

But as i said above, it's about whether you're willing to risk wasting a few years of your career, but you could potentially be in a top job quicker if things go well in Spain.

Hmm, thanks for the comments guys. It would take me off my intended path (I originally said I'd like to win a non-European continental trophy before moving to England or Spain). Maybe if I stick around, I'll get the chnce to manage a big South American team like Boca or Corinthians. ;) I'll make a final decision when I load up the game later on this evening.

Im of the opinion of TaylorB and hamilton and think you'd be better off staying where you are. But it's your decision and whatever you decide i'm sure it'll be the right one in the long run. Nice to see the bigger European clubs taking note of you :thup:. It's a long way from Tai Po ;)

December 2016 Olimpo Update

November

We started the month with two hard-fought draws before José Cordoba marked his return to fitness by bagging 4 of our 5 goals against newly promoted Godoy Cruz. Our goalscoring form continued into the next game as we hit three but a goalkeeping error and a soft penalty meant, after establishing a 3-2 lead, we lost 4-3.

Results:

v. San Lorenzo (h), 1-1

v. Gimnasia (LP) (a), 2-2

v. Godoy Cruz (h), 5-0 win

v. Estudiantes (LP) (a), 4-3 loss

December

We got an easy finish to the opening stage campaign with two home games. Against Tigre, virtually every attack produced a chance as both sides got amongst the goals. Luckily, we had the edge to win 5-3 with Velasquez back to his old form with a hat-trick. Velasquez was on target again along with Mazzoni and a first Olimpo goal for young loanee Gil as we trotted out 3-1 winners over Vélez to wrap the opening stage up.

Results:

v. Tigre (h), 5-3 win

v. Vélez (h), 2-1 win

After a shaky start, we recovered well to put ourselves into th place in the standings. The average points table is looking good but we’ll still have to be careful during the closing stage.

Apertura Final Standings | Average Points

Noteworthy Performers So Far:

José Cordoba – having a storming season in the AMC role and is the club’s 2nd topscorer at present.

Rodrigo Mazzoni – still playing beyond his years in the middle. A couple of MLS teams have been tracking him but he has repeatedly expressed his loyalty to his current club and boss. :cool:

César Verdera – settled into his second season at the club and has been a solid midfield partner for Mazzoni.

Claudio Velasquez – rediscovered his form after a poor season last time out. 4 goals in December allowed him to pass Cordoba as the club’s topscorer.

Claudio Cisneros – another youngster making great strides and now pushing his way into the first team as a regular starter.

• 1 month later...

After an incredibley busy month of March, I've finally had time to play FM again and I intned to make the most of it as, after Easter, I'll be swamped until the end of May with conferences, presentations, assignments and my regular job. :eek: It seems a lot of the threads I was following when I was last able to post regularly here are also inactive now but hopefully those following before will still do so now.

I'll have an update ready tomorrow and I'll hopefully get to the end of my current seaosn before I get swamped again. Time to resurrect the career of Mazzoni and co. :thup:

February 2017 Olimpo Update

As the New Year chimed in, we heard news of some Olimpo players in the December 2016 and end of year awards:

December 2016 Torneo de Primera Manager of the Month – David Dodgson

December 2016 Torneo de Primera Player of the Month – Claudio Velasquez

Torneo de Primera Team of the Year – Rodrigo Mazzoni

Torneo de Primera Goal of the Year – Rodrigo Mazzoni (2nd)

Argentinian Young Player of the Year – Rodrigo Mazzoni (2nd)

A shame Mazzoni just missed out on the Young Player of the Year award but no surprise really – the winner Cristian Belforti is an absolute beast (read the February league update for an example of his skill) who will surely be a world star one day.

The transfer window was frustrating as nobody who could improve the squad was availiable for less than ₤2.5mil, 8 times our transfer budget. As the kick off of the closing stage approached, we were hit by call-ups to the South American U-20 Championships. Just as we had lost players to the Olympics earlier in the season, we would now be without Mazzoni, Cisneros, Larossa, Barrera and Hernandez (that’s my midifield dynamo, one of my first choice centre backs and all of my full backs!) for the first few games, including matches with River and Boca.

Primera Division Closing Stage

January

Only the one game at the end of January as we faced Ferro, fast becoming our bogey tem. Despite the absentees, we were 2 goals up at half-time. Ferro pulled one back but we were still cruising until Cordoba foolishly got sent off for diving and our opponents took full advantage with 2 late goals. Just to rub it in, however, the winner came on 90 +3 minutes (only 2 minutes had been added on) and it was offisde, a fact confirmed by the lack of punsihment for my post-match rant.

Results:

v. Ferro (h), 3-2 loss

February

We faced a tough long month (even though, technically, it’s the shortest one). Good performances but inevitable defeats away to Boca and Central came either side of a home shocker against River as we got torn to shreds and lost 7-1, with Argentinian Young Player of the Year Belforti netting 5 (why wasn’t he called up to the U20 tournament? :mad:)... For the game against Newell’s, all our young hotshots were back with their South American U20 Championship medals hanging round their necks – would they make a difference? Short answer – no. :( Same as before, we played fairly well but came out on the wrong end of a defeat. Another spirited performance couldn’t prevent defeat in a tough game away to Independiente. 3 days later, we were up against 2nd placed Racing and, although we were at home, defeat seemed unavoidable. Transfer news on the eve of the game that my chairman had let hotshot left back Barrera go to Levski Sofia didn’t help our preparations. The ₤4.8mil will be handy for summer spending but we must now play out the season with just 1 left back. All the more surprising then that we ran out 4-0 winners!! The Colombian pair of Cordoba (1 goal, 2 assists) and Sanchez (2 goals, 1 assist) were outstanding with Velsaquez putting the icing on the cake with a late 4th. Perhaps there’s hope for the rest of this season after all....

Results:

v. Boca (a), 2-0 loss

v. River (h), 7-1 loss :eek:

v. Central (a), 3-2 loss

v. Newell’s (h), 3-1 loss

v. Independiente (a), 1-0 loss

v. Racing Club (h), 4-0 win!!

Clasura Current Standings | Average Points

March 2017 Olimpo Update

We were obviously bouyed by the win over Racing as we turned in two good wins in our next two games with José Cordoba starring with a goal in each. The only downer was an injury to Vélasquez, which left me lacking in options up front.

Wherever people stand on the match-by-match report debate, the next game deserves its own write up. Lanus came to play us with both sides in good form. We had to come from behind twice in the 1st half as our opponents took advantage of poor marking on crosses but first Maserio and then Cordoba pegged them back. The 2nd half was a role reversal as Lanus were the team coming from behind. Maserio made sure Velasquez’s absence was not felt as he put us into the lead only for us to concede another header shortly afterwards. Maserio then broke the offside trap to grab his hat-trick and put us 4-3 up but Lanus equalised with a deflected shot straight from the restart. Cordoba then scored the pick of the goals with a delightful lob and it seemed like that would seal it. However, there was to be one more twist as Lanus grabbed a dramtic equaliser following a goalmouth scramble. The game could have easily finished 6-7 as Lanus had two goal disallowed (one crucially with the scoreline 2-1 in their favour and one with the score at 3-3) and we had a goal ruled out (also with the scores at 3-3).

We returned to our winning ways and to more sensible defending in the next game as we stunned Argentinos on their own turf with a 3-0 win, Cordoba and Maserio amongst the goals again. Our unbeaten run ground to a halt in the next match at the other Arsenal. Injuries meant Cordoba was my only fit player capable of playing up front (ironically moving him from the AMC to ST slot ended his scoring run of 6 goals in the previous 5 matches) and we lacked the firepower to threaten our opponents. Cordoba returned to his AMC position and his goalscoring ways with a brace in the next game but some sloppy defending and a stoppage time goal denied us a win. Still, a good month after our poor start to the clasura. :thup:

Results:

v. Banfield (a), 2-0 win

v. Italiano (h), 3-1 win

v. Lanus (h), 5-5!!

v. Argentinos (a), 3-0 win

v. Arsenal de Sarandi (a), 2-0 loss

v. Chacarita (h), 2-2

Clasura Current Standings | Average Points

The March Player of the Month was no surprise as Cordoba was in sensational form. This message from the board would have been a surprise but SI have tried to get us with this one before, haven’t they? :rolleyes:

Oh yes, Cordoba has been immense. Add in the goal against Racing at the end of February and he's got 8 in the last 7 and all from an AMC position. :cool: One of those players who took a season to settle and then really found his form big time. :)

April/May 2017 Olimpo Update

April

The month started with a return to our form of Febraury as we played well against tough opposition in the shape of San Lorenzo but, despite a brace from Cordoba, lost out 3-2. We got the win in our next game, this time Velasquez providing the goals with a late consolation for Gimnasia making it look closer than it was. Basement boys Godoy Cruz were up next and a drab match apperaed to be heading for a 0-0 result until Maserio scored a piledriver from 25 yards with just a couple of minutes to go. We rounded off the month with our final home game of the season, thrashing Estudiantes 4-1 thanks to Cordoba, Velasquez and a pair of penalties from Mazzoni, right little Fabregas that he is!

Results:

v. San Lorenzo (a), 3-2 loss

v. Gimnasia (LP) (h), 2-1 win

v. Godoy Cruz (a), 1-0 win

v. Estudiantes (LP) (h), 4-1 win

May

Bad news to start the month as José Cordoba picked up a knock against Estudiantes that would keep him out for the remaining two games. Up stepped Figueroa, a 33 year old I signed as cover on loan, to score in the first ten minutes of our game against Tigre. The final result would not go our way though as Tigre drew level before half time and the scored an 89th minute winner. To make it worse, just before the goal, we had a penalty shout turned down and post-match replays showed the ref had clearly got it wrong. Nothing to play for in the last game as we were safe from any threat of relegation and that’s how we played as we never really got going and lost 2-0.

v. Tigre (a), 2-1 loss

v. Velez (a), 2-0 loss

Clasura Final Standings | Average Points

Despite the closing two defeats, we had a good end to the season, safe from relegation with games to spare. :thup:

End of season report to follow.

I'm not sure. I'll have money to spent this summer but it probably won't be enough. I already need a good young striker and a new left back as well as a fresh pair of legs in the holding midfield position and now my backup goalie has announced his retirement...

It's all a matter of where to go - I've been linked with a move to Mallorca, who are likely to sack their manager for missing outon promotion so returning them to the top flight in Spain could be interesting. Slavia Prague and Sparta Prague are other possibilities. We'll see ;)

June 2017 International Update: The Road to Russia

FIFA World Cup CONEMBOL Qualifying Section

I haven’t updated on Bolivia yet this season so here goes. :thup:

February

One of the toughest games, Brazil away, went to the script as they were simply too good and a Pato brace wither side of a Santos strike consigned us to defeat.

Results:

v. Brazil (a), 3-0 loss

March

Another toughie as we travelled to Montevideo and lost by two goals to a strong Uruguyuan side.

Results:

v. Uruguay (a), 2-0 loss

June

Two home games to finish the season off and I was looking for something out of them. We matched Colombia well but their quality up front was decisive as they made more of their chances and eeked out a 2-1 win. If we lacked luck in that game, the next game more than made up for it as Paraguay dominated for 89 minutes and we scored on 90. ;)

Results:

v. Colombia (h), 2-1 loss

v. Paraguay (h), 1-0 win!

Table (after 14 games)

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 1st | Q | Brazil | | 14 | 12 | 1 | 1 | 33 | 10 | +23 | 37 |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 2nd | Q | Argentina | | 14 | 10 | 3 | 1 | 30 | 11 | +19 | 33 |
| 3rd | | Chile | | 14 | 9 | 2 | 3 | 27 | 9 | +18 | 29 |
| 4th | | Peru | | 14 | 6 | 3 | 5 | 17 | 18 | -1 | 21 |
| 5th | | Colombia | | 14 | 6 | 2 | 6 | 22 | 20 | +2 | 20 |
| 6th | | Uruguay | | 14 | 6 | 1 | 7 | 27 | 16 | +11 | 19 |
| 7th | | Paraguay | | 14 | 5 | 2 | 7 | 21 | 30 | -9 | 17 |
| 8th | | Ecuador | | 14 | 2 | 5 | 7 | 14 | 25 | -11 | 11 |
| 9th | | Bolivia | | 14 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 21 | 34 | -13 | 8 |
| 10th | | Venezuela | | 14 | 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 44 | -39 | 4 |

Brazil and Argentina have already qualified then. We have no chance but wit games aginst Ecuador and Venezuela to go, we have a chance of 8th. :p

2016/17 Season Review

108542.png

Competitions

102421.png

Opening Stage:

11th

Closing Stage:

11th

Overall:

12th

Average Points:

13th

We had a couple of terrible runs of form but some good form midway through both the opening and closing stages saved us. In the end it was comfortable but without Mazzoni and Cordoba, it would have been a lot harder.

Key Players

Victor Cavallo (DC) – ever present and ever solid at the back.

Martin Larossa (DR) – another good season and we missed him when he was away at the Olympics and the South American U20 tournament. Currently being linked to several Eastern European clubs. I don’t want to let him go but if the rumoured offers of ₤8mil surface, I will reconsider.

Rodrigo Mazzoni (MC) – a great season in which he picked up the Fans’ Player of the Year award, Olympic and a South American U20 Championship medal.

José Cordoba (AMC) –the only surprise about the fans choosing Mazzoni as Player of the Year was that they overlooked this guy who scored and provided in plentiful supply and placed 3rd in the Torneo de Primera Player of the Season poll as well as 3rd in the Top Goalscorer charts.

Claudio Velasquez (ST) – 20 goals made him second top scorer at the club and a key part of the team.

The Season Ahead...

Who knows? I’m getting itchy feet here and my contract is up on June 30th. If I stay, it will most likely be on a 1-year deal.

Nearly done with pre-season but no time to do the transfer update tonight. In the end, I decided to sign a new 1-year deal at Olimpo as Mallorca decided to give their manager another chance and there was nothing else tempting on the job market.

I raised some funds by selling a couple of squad players and I've actually ended up spending 8million over the summer! :eek: All I need is for Cordoba, Ivanildo and Masrio to get their Argentinian passports and we're set! There was a slight scare over the summer as Mazzoni expressed his desire to move on. However, he was soon backtracking and declaring his love for the club before signing a new 4-year deal. :cool:

I'll try to get a full update with my new signings over the weekend. In the meantime, here's the link to my latest Youth Player update.

Glad to see you turned it around after February :thup: All in all I'd say you had a very good season, shame about not picking up a good YP for this year, and all the best in what could be your final year (gathered from the way you've written your posts) lets hope its a good one!

Thanks for the comment LCFC. You're right - I'm angling for a move as I don't want to get too attached to one club/squad. This is supposed to be a roaming career after all! Having said that, I want to make sure that the next club is a step up and not a step backwards so I'll bide my time for now. I'm happy with the new players I've signed so this season could be a good one. :thup:

2017/18 Season Preview: Olimpo

Transfers

Notable departures:

After letting some players go, I decided to sell a few squad players who brought in good funds: Montagnoli was unhappy about being out of the team and getting old so I was happy to accept any bids for him; César Sanchez was out of form towards the end of the season and I had my eye on a couple of extra midfielders so I had no hesitation in accepting a ₤4.5mil offer from Dnipro; the major sales finished with the departure of Alejandro Gonzaléz, who was third choice in central defence anyway and ₤2.5mil was good money for a player the wrong side of 30. I also arranged a deal for an Ecuadorian striker in my reserves who wasn’t anywhere near the first team but he won’t move to his new club in Peru until their transfer window opens in late August.

Notable arrivals:

I had a couple of players arriving on frees but the money from the sales of Sanchéz and Gonzaléz meant I was able to snap up a few hot talents my scouts had spotted over the course of last season:

Gabriel Merlo (AMRC) – the first of the freebies. He will provide cover in the centre of midfield (his natural position) and in the attacking midfield slot.

Julinho (ST) – another freebie and will provide much needed cover for the strikers.

Oscar Gonzalez (GK) – my 2nd choice goalie hung up his gloves at the end of last season so this Chilean youngster comes in as back-up.

Milton Ramirez (DLC/DM/MLC) – with my two DMs nearing the end of their careers, Ramirez will add some youth to my options there. His versatility will be useful for cover if we have another injury crisis (or lots of call-ups to the U20 World Cup :rolleyes:).

I also managed to snap up two bright young Argentinian talents (although I had to dig a bit deeper into the finances to do so):

Diego Colella (DL) – a bit pricey this one but he is being touted as one of Argentina’s future stars and I only had one left back at the club prior to signing him.

Cristian Vasquez (ST) – I’ve been tracking this guy for a couple of seasons now and he’s been scoring a lot in the Nacional B. Seeing he was after a move to a bigger club, I made my offer and signed him. Here’s hoping he can step up to the top flight.

One more new face arrived on loan as I hadn’t got enough money left to sign him outright! However, I inserted a future fee clause and I’ll be activatig it as soon as the sale of my aforementioned Ecuadorian reserve goes through:

Valery Onana (AMC/FC) – not sure how usual it is for a Cameroonian teenager to be playing in Uruguay but this one was. With Jose Cordoba out for the first six weeks, he’ll be straight into the first team. If his friendly appearances are anything to go by, he’ll be a star for us!

Transfer summary: Players in

[/font]
[font=Courier New]| Date               | Person             | From                 | Fee                | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.7.2017           | Merlo, Gabriel     | Colón                | Free               | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.7.2017           | Julinho            | Defensor Sporting    | Free               | 
| 7.7.2017           | Becerra, Aníbal    | Villarreal           | £100K              | 
| 11.7.2017          | González, Oscar    | Universidad de Chile | £140K              | 
| 18.7.2017          | Vázquez, Cristian  | Unión                | £1.9M              | 
| 19.7.2017          | Ramírez, Milton    | La Equidad           | £875K              | 
| 24.7.2017          | Colella, Diego     | Banfield             | £4.5M              | 
| 5.8.2017           | Onana, Valery      | Defensor Sporting    | Ln Fee £375K       | 
|                    | Total              |                      | £8M                | 

[/font][font=Courier New]

Players out

[font=Courier New]| Date               | Person                       | To                      | Fee                | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.7.2017           | Hernández, Lisandro          |                         | Free               | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.7.2017           | Solari, Mario                |                         | Free               | 
| 1.7.2017           | Morales, Ezequiel            |                         | Free               | 
| 1.7.2017           | Sampaoli, Rodolfo            |                         | Free               | 
| 1.7.2017           | Cobián, Rodolfo              |                         | Free               | 
| 1.7.2017           | Marini, Fernando             |                         | Free               | 
| 1.7.2017           | García Fernández, Enrique    |                         | Free               | 
| 9.7.2017           | Martínez Montagnoli, Facundo | Juventud de Las Piedras | £100K              | 
| 14.7.2017          | Sánchez, César               | Dnipro                  | £4.5M              | 
| 15.7.2017          | González, Alejandro          | Wanderers               | £2.5M              | 
|                    | Total                        |                         | £7M                | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font]|

August/September 2017 Olimpo Update

August

We got off to the wrong start as, despite a hat-trick from Mazzoni, several defensive errors led to a 4-3 defeat at the hands of Chacarita. Things then picked up with a resounding win over Velez before a decent draw away to Gimnasia. Mazzoni was the star of the month with 4 goals but new boy Merlo made a big impression as well with 5 assists.

Results:

v. Chacarita (h), 4-3 loss

v. Velez (h), 4-1 win

v. Gimnasia (LP) (a), 2-2

September

A cracking start to the month as we thrashed Argentinos on their own turf before securing a home win over Estudiantes. The usual heavy defeat at the hands of Boca followed but we bounced back just two days later by stuffing 6 goals past Newell’s with Onana scoring a hat-trick on his first start. The month ended with a hard fought game and unlucky defeat at Lanus but we are in a good position in the league and I’m hoping we can stay in the top half for the rest of the season.

v. Argentinos (a), 4-1 win

v. Estudiantes (LP) (h), 2-1 win

v. Boca (a), 5-0 loss

v. Newell’s (h), 6-2 win

v. Lanus (a), 1-0 loss

Apertura Standings | Average Points

A tough month lies ahead though as no fewer than 5 of my players (all Argentinian) have been called up for the U20 World Cup and I’m still waiting on paperwork for Cordoba and Ivanildo to get citizenship.... Time to give some youngsters a runout!

• 2 weeks later...

October 2017 International Update: The Road to Russia

FIFA World Cup CONEMBOL Qualifying Section

100103.png

The gruelling South American qualificaiton process is finally over. Here’s how Bolivia’s last few games panned out:

September

We started the qualifiyng run-in with a chance to move ahead of Ecuador into 8th place but my players failed to rise to the ocassion as we were outplayed and deserved to lose with a late consolation goal making he scoreline respectable. Against Peru, we were equally poor and lost without putting up much of a fight.

Results:

v. Ecuador (h), 2-1 loss

v. Peru (a), 2-0 loss

October

Our poor form continued in the next game but we got lucky with our only two decent chances of the game to get all 3 points from Venezeula. We finally remebered how to play in the final game against Chile as we raced into an early two goal lead. Alas, Chile scored just before half-time to get back in it, before equalising on the hour and grabbing a sickeningly inevitable late winner.... :mad:

Results:

v. Venezeula (a), 2-0 win

v. Chile (h), 3-2 loss

Final Table – not even close in the end but at least we didn’t finish last. The Bolivian FA were pleased with the overall performance but, having completed the qualificaiton round, I decided the time was rigt to move on and I quit. Who knows? Maybe I can find an alternative route to the World Cup next summer... ;)

[/font]
[font=Courier New]| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | Brazil    |       | 18    | 15    | 2     | 1     | 40    | 12    | +28   | 47    | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Argentina |       | 18    | 11    | 5     | 2     | 36    | 15    | +21   | 38    | 
| 3rd   | Q     | Chile     |       | 18    | 10    | 4     | 4     | 33    | 16    | +17   | 34    | 
| 4th   | Q     | Peru      |       | 18    | 9     | 3     | 6     | 24    | 23    | +1    | 30    | 
| 5th   | Pl    | Colombia  |       | 18    | 8     | 3     | 7     | 30    | 24    | +6    | 27    | 
| 6th   |       | Paraguay  |       | 18    | 7     | 3     | 8     | 27    | 35    | -8    | 24    | 
| 7th   |       | Uruguay   |       | 18    | 6     | 3     | 9     | 30    | 22    | +8    | 21    | 
| 8th   |       | Ecuador   |       | 18    | 3     | 7     | 8     | 20    | 31    | -11   | 16    | 
| 9th   |       | [color=DarkGreen][b]Bolivia[/b][/color]   |       | 18    | 3     | 2     | 13    | 26    | 41    | -15   | 11    | 
| 10th  |       | Venezuela |       | 18    | 1     | 2     | 15    | 8     | 55    | -47   | 5     | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/font] 
[font=Courier New]

Just got a message that the Houston manager travelled south from the USA to watch one of my players in action. Who exactly is in charge of the MLS side these days (November 2017)? None other than England's finest Emile Heskey! :D

December 2017 Olimpo Update

October

A poor start to the month as we scraped a draw against rock-bottom Huracan. We then lost to Independient at home but for both games we could point to the fact that 5 first team squad members were at the U20 World Cup, leaving us with no left back and short of cover in central defence and midifield. No such excuses against Ferro though as all those players had returned. It was just was of those game where, despite higher possession and more chances, everything they tried paid off and we got thrashed. :(

Results:

v. Huracan (h), 1-1

v. Independiente (h), 2-1 loss

v. Ferro (a), 5-1 loss :eek:

November

I’d given my players a good dressing down after the Ferro game and they responded well with an impressive away win at Tigre, coming courtesy of a brace by Velasquez. We suffered another defeat at the hands of Arsenal de Sarandi, disappointing as they were a lowly 18th before the game. That proved to be just a blip though as we stuffed San Lorenzo in the next match before recording wins over bottom side Tiro Federal and, much to everyone’s surprise, River Plate (who you may recall thrashed us 7-0 last season). A key performer in those last three games was summer signing Julinho, who made his first starts after a few unremarkable sub appearances (and some critcism as a ‘poor signing’ from the fans) and repayed my faith by scoring and providing an assist in each match. :thup: Indeed, he ended up with the Player of the Month award while I took second in the Manager of the Month poll.

v. Tigre (a), 2-1 win

v. Arsenal de Sarandi (LP) (a), 3-1 loss

v. San Lorenzo (h), 6-1 win!!

v. Tiro Federal (a), 3-1 win

v. River (h), 2-0 win

December

Riding on a high from our victory over River, we came back down to earth with a bump as we fell 3-0 down to Central inside 30 minutes. We managed to make the score respectable but we were never really in it. We suffered another defeat in the next game at Banfield, the only highlight for us being Velasquez scoring his 100th goal for the club. A bad month was capped by a spectacular late collapse at Racing as we were tied on 80 minutes but ended up getting thrashed.

Results:

v. Central (a), 4-3 loss

v. Banfield (h), 4-2 loss

v. Racing Club (a), 5-2 loss

Apertura Final Standings | Average Points

A bit disappointing in the end as we were 6th in the table after the win over River but those last three games saw us drop to 10th. At least the average points table means we should be safe from relegation. :thup:

January 2018 Olimpo Update

Awards

Rodrigo Mazzoni had a cracking year in 2017 and as a result got the nod as the Argentinian Young Player of the Year. He also featured alongside the equally excellent José Cordoba in the Premier Division Team of the Year.

Transfers

I wasn't planning any transfer activity in January beyond making Onana's loan move permanent. However, events (or should I say the chairman?) conspired to force my hand. Claudio Cisneros and Hernan Fernandez (YP1) both started to make noises about moving to bigger clubs and Dudu, Ivanildo, Julinho and Mazzoni were all subject to widespread interest and media speculation. Luckily, they all either resisted moves or were persuaded to stay. Alas, as the end of the transfer window came, bids for my main centre back Victor Cavallo started to come thick and fast. Eventually, Red Star Belgrade offered 7.5 million for him and my chairman accepted. To be honest, I would have probably taken it anyway as it was good money. However, my chairman wasn't done there, the following day accepting a bid of 7.75mil from Swiss outfit Young Boys for Collela, a left back I had only signed 5 months ago.

That meant I had to bring in two defenders with only 24 hours of the transfer window left. Fortunately, I found these guys:

Dario Navarro (DC) - only 18 but looks a great prospect. Rated as almost as good as Cisneros with 4* potential.

Ever Ripamonti (DR/L) - not ready for the first team just yet but one for the future who will provide cover for Fernandez at left back for now.

On the job front, I was offered jobs with Juventude in Uruguay, Veracruz in Mexico and Argentinos in Argentina but all those sides are struggling and seemed like a step down. I was also linked with Mallorca again and Sivasspor of Turkey so it looks like finding a new job at the end of the season shouldn't be a problem. However, with the money we now have for transfers, maybe I can be tempted to stay! ;)

February 2018 Olimpo Update

A good start to the clasura campaign saw us record big wins over Velez, Gimnasia and Estudiantes. Especially encouraging was our improved form on the road with 2 wins and a draw from 3 matches. Our only defeat of the month came at home as Argentinos scored a late winner. Once again, Mazzoni, Cordoba and Velasquez have been the stars, scoring 11 of our 16 goals.

Results:

v. Velez (a), 5-2 win

v. Gimnasia (LP) (h), 4-2 win

v. Chacarita (a), 1-1

v. Argentinos (h), 2-1 loss

v. Estudaintes (LP) (a), 4-1 win

Clasura Standings – an impressive 5th so far. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Job news again – I kept a keen eye on the African Nations Cup hoping for a big nation to slip up, sack their coach and offer me a shot at the World Cup. Ghana and Ivory Coast fell at the Quarter Final hurdle but only the Ivory Coast job became available. I was just about to take on the role when I realised they hadn’t actually qualified for the World Cup having finished behind Egypt in their qualifying group so I passed the chance up.

March 2018 Olimpo Update

A frustrating start to the month as we lost two games we should have got points from: we outplayed Newell’s only to lose out to a late goal that should have been offside; and against Boca, we were a minute away from a point until a clumsy challenge from Cisneros gave away a penalty from which there was no time to come back. We then bounced back with back-to-back wins over Lanus and Huracan before we came unstuck once more against our bogey team Ferro. A tough match came up next away to leaders Independiente but we pulled off the shock win, with Jose Cordoba, back in the side after 3 games out injured; grabbing a brace. Cordoba was central to our win in the final game of the month as he scored one and set one up against Tigre.

Results:

v. Newell’s (a), 2-1 loss

v. Boca) (h), 2-1 loss

v. Lanus (h), 4-1 win

v. Huracan (a), 3-1 win

v. Ferro (h), 2-1 loss

v. Independiente (a), 2-1 win

v. Tigre (h), 2-0 win

Clasura Standings – sitting pretty in 4th at the moment. :cool: İt’s tight below us though and we have to play most of the top teams in our last 7 games....

May 2018 Olimpo Update

April

A tough run in faced us with Tiro Federal the only side we would be favourites to beat. A bit of a disappointment against Arsenal as we were 2 goals up but ended up drawing 2-2. We made up for it in the next match against high flyers San Lorenzo as we came back from 2 goals down to draw. An expected easy win over Tiro Federal followed before a trip to face River. We nearly snatched a point as Julinho scored with our first on target attempt of the game with 12 minutes to go but River really piled on the pressure after that and got the winner with 5 minutes to go.

Results:

v. Arsenal de Sarandi (h), 2-2

v. San Lorenzo (a), 2-2

v. Tiro Federal (h), 2-0 win

v. River (a), 2-1 loss

May

Coming into the last three games, we still had a chance of qualifying for next season’s Copa Sudamericana. A home victory over Racing left us third with two games to go but only 3 points clear of 8th. We took the lead in the next game against Central only for Onana to get sent off and let Central back in it. Defeat there meant we had to get something out of the game at Banfield but we couldn’t despite having more chances as we went down 2-1.

v. Racing Club (h), 2-1 win

v. Central (h), 3-2 loss

v. Banfield (a), 2-1 loss

Clasura Final Standings – 9th is our highest finish to date but it was a little disappointing as we were 3rd with two games to go....

Season round up to follow. :thup:

2017/18 Season Review

108542.png

Competitions

102421.png

Opening Stage:

10th

Closing Stage:

9th

Overall:

10th

Average Points:

13th

We acheived our highest league positions to date and this season relegation was never a worry. We did end both the opening and closing stages with poor runs that cost us even higher finishes but this is a young side, particularly in defence and the players can only continue to get better.

Key Players

Rodrigo Mazzoni (MC) – consistently our best performer. Another outstanding season with a career high assist total. Won the Argentine Young Player of the Year award to boot. The most surprising thing about him is that no other clubs have expressed interest in signing him!

José Cordoba (AMC) –a goalscoring and goalmaking machine once more. And to think, I signed him a few seasons back for a mere ₤2,000!

Matias Maserio (ST) – spent the first half of the season on the sidelines as he had a couple of injures and I decided to give my new strikers a chance. However, he worked his way back into the team and his experience was vital later in the season as he went on a scoring streak of 6 consecutive games and won a few matched sor us.

Claudio Velasquez (ST) – a second season with 20 top flight goals as Velasquez enjoys a purple patch late in his career, earning him the Fans' Player of the Year ahead of Mazzoni and Cordoba. He turns 33 next season but I’m sure he can continue to find the net.

The Season Ahead...

Again, my contract is up so it’s all a matter of what’s out there. I feel I can get Olimpo even higher up the table next season but the longer I stay, the harder it gets to leave. Pumas of Mexico and Sparta Prague of Czech Republic are both considering their managers’ positions after disappointing seasons so I’ll be keeping an eye on those posts....

My latest Youth Player update from Neppo's Youth Player Project FM10 can be read here.

Tribute World Tour, Part 3: Almagro's Strongmen Dare You....

Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro

96.png

I was mulling over the option of one more year at Olimpo, tempted by a hotshot new striker in the youth team and 5mil to spend. Just before I had to decide though, San Lorenzo came along and offered me a 2 year-deal on 3.3k a week (nearly double what Olimpo were willing to give) and 8mil to spend in the transfer market. I figured with that money, I could tempt Mazzoni and a couple of others to follow me so I took the offer. Another bonus of going to San Lorenzo is that they are in the Copa Sudamericana and so I get my first taste of South American continental competition.

The club are one of the top sides in Argentina behind Boca and River Plate. They have several titles to their name, the most recent (in this game of course) coming in 2015. Since then, they haven't finished higher than 4th though so I have been charged with mounting a serious title challenge.

That may not be so straightforward as the squad is lacking depth and some of the players are getting old. The prices being quoted for the best young players around are steep so I may have to sell if I want to bring in more than a couple of new faces.

Some basic info on the club:

We are nicknamed El Ciclon (The Cyclone) and our fierce rivals are Boca, River, Idependiente, Racing Club and Huracan and Vélez are listed as 'other rivals' so we should have some intense games!

The stadium is called El Neuvo Gasometro and has a capacity of about 44,000. However, there are only only 15,000 seats. 25,000 season ticket holders mean we should have some vocal home support.

4553_88483028321_799463321_1724233_6675226_n.jpg

Now, if the board later claim stadium expansion is impossible due to 'lack of space', I'll know they are lying. :p

More info on the club here, including an interesting story of the club's origins as a street gang! :D

2018/19 Season Preview: San Lorenzo

Transfers

Notable departures:

After reviewing the squad, I decided major changes were needed. Many of the players were over 30 and there were several youngsters who, while decent, were not of the standard I was looking for. I oversaw a clearout of 12 players from the first team squad and reserves, bringing in funds of ₤30mil+. :cool:

[font=Courier New]| Date               | Person             | To                   | Fee                | 
| 30.6.2018          | Chávez, Juan*      | Audax Italiano       | Ln Fee £35K        | 
| 5.7.2018           | Lobos, Ezequiel*   | CSKA (Sofia)         | Ln Fee £1.5M       | 
| 19.7.2018          | Cabrera, Emiliano  | Siena                | £2M                | 
| 19.7.2018          | González, Mauricio | Seongnam             | £4M                | 
| 19.7.2018          | Bianco, Guillermo  | Murcia               | £1.5M              | 
| 20.7.2018          | Brunelli, Sebastián| Universidad de Chile | £3M                | 
| 21.7.2018          | Adriano            | Chacarita            | £1M                | 
| 21.7.2018          | Jairo              | Tigres               | £1M                | 
| 21.7.2018          | Torres, Daniel     | Rocha                | £2M                | 
| 21.7.2018          | Antônio            | Basel                | £2.5M              | 
| 22.7.2018          | Montero, Jefferson | ADO Den Haag         | £3M                | 
| 22.7.2018          | Gallardo, Alex     | Lens                 | £2M                | 
| 31.7.2018          | Núñez, Enrique     | Tigres               | £5M                | 
| 3.8.2018           | Juárez, Axel       | Basel                | £5M                | 
|                    | Total              |                      | £33.5M             | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/font]

*Denotes deals concluded by the previous manager.

Notable arrivals:

Just as well, because anyone who was half-decent was going to cost me a lot. I scouted my favourite players from Olimpo (Cordoba, Cisneros, Fernandez etc) but I was told it would take upwards of ₤8mil for each of them. To my delight, however, I negotiated the asking price for Mazzoni down to ₤6.25mil and he followed me to San Lorenzo! :thup: I also returned to Olimpo to sign Carlos Serrizuela, who had just come into the youth team before I left. He has serious potential and so was worth the outlay for the future.

Aside from that pair, I brought in a couple of holding midfielders, one from Chile (Quieroz) and a Nigerian who was playing in Uruguay (Lawal). Another Nigerian (Festus) came in from Brazilian side Gremio, a much needed signing as we had no recognised left-backs in the squad. I also brought in a Brazilian striker (Baiano) and a Chilean keeper (Cayazaya) – all expensive but necessary.

[font=Courier New]| Date               | Person                         | From                 | Fee                | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 27.6.2018          | Vavá*                          | Vitória              | £3.8M              | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 28.6.2018          | García, Félix*                 | Cienciano            | £1.3M              | 
| 20.7.2018          | Quiroz, Alejandro              | Everton (CHI)        | £750K              | 
| 21.7.2018          | Mazzoni, Rodrigo               | Olimpo               | £6.25M             | 
| 28.7.2018          | Carlos Serrizuela (Olimpo YP5) | Olimpo               | £3.6M              | 
| 29.7.2018          | Lawal, Emmanuel                | River Plate (URU)    | £4M                | 
| 2.8.2018           | Fernando Baiano                | Racing de Montevideo | £5.75M             | 
| 13.8.2018          | Cayazaya, Carlos               | Santo André          | £4.2M              | 
| 15.8.2018          | Festus, Obinna                 | Grêmio               | £1M                | 
|                    | Total                          |                      | £30.5M             | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/font] 

*Denotes deals concluded by the previous manager.

I also made several changes to the backroom staff, bringing in a few coaches who quit Olimpo after I left. Hopefully, all the changes won’t cause too much upheaval!

August 2018 San Lorenzo Update

A great start to my new job as we won our opening three games. Victory over Argentinos came courtesy of a header from Brazilian defender Vava and a brace from Paraguayan international striker Arnaldo Cabral. Cabral got another brace in the next game which, togther with an own goal, helped us earn a huge win at rivals Velez. Cabral was not amongst the goals for the next match but no matter as 35 year-old Peruvian and club legend Roberto Jiminez smashed two goals past Tigre to give us 9 points from a possible 9.

Results:

v. Argentinos (h), 3-0 win

v. Velez (a), 3-0 win

v. Tigre (h), 2-1 win

Apetura Standings – A perfect start sees us top. :) Early days though...

Cabral’s form in front of goal earned him the Player of the Month and Goal of the Month awards and I got the Manager of the Month gong as well. :cool:

Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round

As seems to be the norm, all the Argentinian and Brazilian sides were paired together in the draw and we were drawn against Velez (meaning three games in the space of two weeks with them including the league match). We got off to a great start in the home leg, scoring in the opening minute before going on to win comfortably thanks to a hat-trick from Arnaldo Cabral. We fell behind early in the second leg but goals from new boy Quiroz (penalty) and Brazilian attacking midfielder Denilson put the tie beyond doubt before Velez scored a late equaliser.

Results:

Leg 1 v. Velez (h), 3-0 win

Leg 2 v Velez (a), 2-2

Aggregate score, 5-2 win

September 2018 San Lorenzo Update

Our fine start to the season continued with 3-0 the score of choice for the first three games. Cabral and Mazzoni were on fine form as well. Our run ground to a halt though when we played rivals Racing. We outplayed them over 90 minutes but one slip up gave them a penalty and that was that. We returned to winning ways in the last game though as Lanus were brushed aside.

Results:

v. Godoy Cruz (h), 3-0 win

v. Gimnasia (LP) (a), 3-0 win

v. Estudiantes (h), 3-0 win

v. Racing Club (a), 1-0 loss

v. Lanus (h), 3-1 win

Apetura Standings – still top after the win over Lanus but yet to play Boca, Central, Idpendient or River.

Copa Sudamericana: 1st Round

The first round draw paired us with Bolivian side The Strongest, marking a return for me to Hernando Siles stadium, home Bolivia’s national side. The Strongest didn’T really live up to their name as my team of reserves and youht players recovered from conceding an early penalty to breeze to a 4-1 win, Serrizuala scoring a hat-trick. The second leg takes place in October.

Results:

Leg 1 v. The Strongest (a), 4-1 win

October 2018 San Lorenzo Update

Results:

Ferro were always a bogey team for me when at Olimpo and so it proved here as my defence had a ‘mare and we let a lead slip to lose to a late comeback. We set things right though with a thumping win away at Central in the next match before a tough pair of home games with River and Arsenal de Sarandi. The atmosphere was heated for the visit of crosstown rivals River but we soon poured cold water on them with a deserved 4-1 win, Cabral grabbing two and Denilson also scoring a brace from midfield. We made hard work of the Arsenal game as we gave away a goal early on. We dominated after that but it took a while for the winning goals to come (we also had 3 goals ruled out!).

v. Ferro (a), 4-3 loss

v. Central (a), 4-1 win

v. River (h), 4-1 win

v. Arsenal de Sarandi (h), 2-1 win

Apetura Standings – still top. Boca have a game in hand, however.

Copa Sudamericana

1st Round

Again, the reserves and youth players did a great job as we stuffed our opponents and reached the next Round with ease.

Result:

Leg 2 v. The Strongest (h), 6-0 win (10-1 aggregate win)

Quarter final

Only Brazilian and Argentinan sides were left by this stage but we managed to avoid the bigger sides as we were drawn with Bahia. A drab first half was punctuated by a slip up in the Bahia defence allowing Baiano to score. We added a second early in the second alf but that fired Bahia up and they pulled one back before levelling the score. The return leg takes place next month.

Result:

Leg 1 v. Bahia (a), 2-2

November 2018 San Lorenzo Update

Results:

We started the month with a third home game in row but failed to take advantage as Chacarita held us to a draw. I then had my first return to Olimpo, who had fallen into disarray since my departure, with just one point all season. We did them no favours but kept the scoreline respectable. Mazzoni was the man on his return as he set up both goals. :thup: An easy win over basement boys Atl. Tucaman followed before we faced 3rd placed Independiente, another of our local rivals. We appeared to be heading for a goaless draw until defender Gold Betig (yes, that’s his real name!) powered in a late header.

v. Chacarita (h), 2-2

v. Olimpo (a), 2-0 win

v. Atl. Tucaman (h), 8-0 win

v. Independiente (a), 1-0 win

Apetura Standings (silly me! I forgot to take a screenie :o – Boca have played their game in hand and our dropped points against Chacarita mean they are now 4 clear of us. Frustratingly, on the same day we scored a last minute winner at Idependiente, Boca scored a winner against arch-rivals River 5 minutes into stoppage time. :rolleyes: Our next game is against Boca so that’s a must win if we are to stand any chance of catching them.

Copa Sudamericana

Quarter final

With the away goals from the first leg, we just did what we had to do and shut our opponents out after grabbing a first half goal.

Result:

Leg 2 v. Bahia (h), 1-0 win (aggregate score, 3-2)

Semi Final

A tough tie as we faced local rivals River for a spot in the final. My players got a bit awestruck in front of 60,000 screaming fans at River’s stadium and we were soon 2 goals down. A second half comeback led by Cabral saw us level the score only to lose to a late winner. That set up a tense return leg which we would have to win. A clash with the international calender meant we were short of a few players but the call-ups left River worse off so we still had a chance. Indeed, it was 16 year-old Serrizuela who gave us the advantage with 2 first half strikes. We added a third in the second half after a shot rebounded off the post and hit the keeper for an own goal. River scored in injury time but it was too late for a comeback and we were through to the final!

Leg 1 v. River (a), 3-2 loss

Leg 2 v. River (h), 3-1 win (aggregate score, 5-4)

December 2018 San Lorenzo Update

Results:

A must win game against Boca was made tougher as it was sandwiched between the two legs of the Copa Sudamericana final (see below). However, we brought our A-game and sneaked the win courtesy of a second half Cabral strike. The win put us just a point behid Boca and was made all the more special by the fact we had inflicted Boca’s first defeat in 14 months. Furthermore, we were the first team to score against them in 7 games! A tight 2-1 over Banfield kept us in it but we were our own worst enemy in the last game as we giftd Newell’s two goals and couldn’t muster a reply. Not that it would have mattered as Boca won their last game and took the title...

v. Boca (h), 1-0 win

v. Banfield (h), 2-1 win

v. Newell’s (a), 2-0 loss

Apetura Final Standings – runners up but with a couple of January signings, I reckon we couıld push for the clasura title.

Copa Sudamericana

Final

The chance for a perfect start to my time at San Lorenzo with a continental cup final just 5 months after taking the job. Sao Paulo of Brazil were are opponents and we got off to a great start when veteran defender Wescley put us ahead. However, Sergio Mota of FM08 wonderkid fame soon levelled the scores and that’s how it stayed. That meant we faced a hard task for the away leg in Brazil. Sao Paulo were all over us at the start of the game but we got the lucky break as, midway through the first half, their keeper slipped when dealing with a backpass and Baiano pounced to score. Sao Paulo levelled just before half-time and again dominated us in the second half. We hung on though and it was Baiano again who restored a lead with a goal on the break on 77 minutes. Sao Paulo equalised almost immediately and went all out in search of the winner. We held our nerve though and agin made a quick break with Franco scoring a screamer from 25 yards out right on full time to secure the win and the trophy!!! :cool:

Leg 1 v. Sao Paulo (h), 1-1

Leg 2 v. Sao Paulo (a), 3-2 win (aggregate score, 4-3)

Cheers AcidBurn. I was delighted to get the tricky away win in the Copa Sudamericana final (although it was one of those where the board responded by saying 'we always expected to win') :rolleyes:

December 2018 Update: Key Players

It just occurred to me that I am yet to show screenies of any of my squad so what better time than the mid-season break with a continetal trophy and a 2nd-placed opening stage finish under our belts?

Fernando Meza - his preferred position is centre-back but I've had him out on the right side of defence all season and he's performed very consistently.

Claus Gold Betig - a standout name and a standout performer in central defence. Won us a couple of games with Steve Bruce-esque late headers as well.

Vava - signed by my predecessor just before he was given the boot. Has turned in performances of a high standard in defence so far and, at just 19, should have a long career ahead.

Obinna Festus - signed late in the August transfer window. At first I wasn't expecting much as he was signed due to lack of other affordable options at left-back but he has done very well and earned his first cap for Nigeria as a result.

Emmanuel Lawal - another Nigerian signing. Quickly made the DM slot his own and contributed in attack with several assists in our Copa Sudamericana run.

Carlos Franco - the central midfielder has been one of the most highly-rated performers in the Argentinian league over the last few seasons and I'm lucky to have him in my squad. His form earned him a call-up as one of just 3 domestically based players in the last Argentina squad. Although he didn't play, it's another encouraging sign of things to come.

Rodrigo Mazzoni - as you know, Mazzoni was my best player at Olimpo and has not disappointed at his new club. Already a fan favourite and seen as an 'inspired' signing despite the 6.25mil price tag.

Denilson - has turned in some top notch performances as attacking playmaker. May not be with us for much longer though as several European clubs are interested and if the rumoured bids of 14mil materialise, they would be difficult to turn down.

Arnaldo Cabral - previously used as a winger, I decided to stick Cabral upfront and it paid dividends as he banged in 15 goals from 17 starts and got 4 more in the Copa Sudamericana. The Paraguay manager took notice and also started to play Cabral as a striker resulting in 5 goals in 4 appearances for a layer who had never scored for his country before in 8 previous outings!

I'm not planning any major transfers in January apart from a couple of youth prospects I've been tracking. I may spend, however, if there is a a major sale such as Denilson.

A Return to the International Arena: Africa's Indomitable Lions

11.png

2018newjobCameroon.jpg

After many years in the job, Paul Le Guen left Cameroon at the end of his contract and the job offer came my way. It seemed an attractive prospect as Cameroon are currently ranked 15th in the World and are reigning African Cup of Nations Champions. However, a closer look at the squad reveals more of a challenge awaits with many of the players in the squad aged over 30 and approaching retirement.

We have one year to prepare for the next African Cup of Nations (already qualified as holders) so I have got plenty of time to bring in some youngsters and put them through their paces in friendlies. :)

Time to rack up some more airmiles!

Archived