Who gets the Tactical side of FM10?

How do YOU play FM?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. How do YOU play FM?

• I tend to use just a single tactic
    • I use basic Home/Away SUS/Need a goal tactics
    • I play the game just as i'm supposed to tweaking and changing as and when necessary
    • A different way

One of the things that always gets me is that people seem to believe that they must make constant tweaks or changes to their tactics before the game, during the game and probably after the game too. :D

So many people overcomplicate the game. I make very few changes each game, just changing my strategy and maybe using one or two touchline shouts at most.

I don't understand why people don't try to role play as a manager. That's the fun of the game.

Alex Ferguson says that football management is about getting 7 or 8 out 10 decisions correct. That's what I try to do and I attempt to put myself in the shoes of a football manager every time I play. It's great fun to play this way.

Regards,

C.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it funny so many people like to play without a care, literally just click play and hope you win as fast as possible

tactics are not so hard, get the unit close together and you're fine

Surely playing without a care is what a computer game is all about, it can still be difficult. Like mlp071 if your having success well done just don't look down your nose at those of us that aren't.

My posts are responding to OP, who is well known on these forums for setting up team and tactics,usually exploiting ones, and then (admittedly) not even watching match at all.And then he is upset if he doesn't win every single match.

He has been complaining about same thing over and over again for several years now since FM 05, at least.

Fine, just don't tar us all with the same brush. Some of us come on here as a last resort to try to get help, if we are met with scorn it's usually not appreciated.

I make very few changes each game, just changing my strategy and maybe using one or two touchline shouts at most.

I don't understand why people don't try to role play as a manager. That's the fun of the game.

That is exactly all what is needed to be done.

I find it more pleasure in fielding some youngster that has grown up under my care into first team player (not superstar), then in winning any title.

Or when i bring up some lowly Turkish minnow into their Superleague by using only players from their youth production.

One of the things that always gets me is that people seem to believe that they must make constant tweaks or changes to their tactics before the game, during the game and probably after the game too. :D

So many people overcomplicate the game. I make very few changes each game, just changing my strategy and maybe using one or two touchline shouts at most.

Alex Ferguson says that football management is about getting 7 or 8 out 10 decisions correct. That's what I try to do and I attempt to put myself in the shoes of a football manager every time I play. It's great fun to play this way.

Regards,

C.

Guess you're just gifted then. Personally I have the problem that I can't manage to get ANY tactic I make myself working, even if I use the Tactics Wizard. And any tactic I download, it's read into pieces in five games and whatever oh-so-small tweak I make just renders it useless and my team start playing like a bunch of stoned koalas. With the same technical abilities.

I have played CM/FM since the early 90s and have always loved it .. though I think personally that the tactical side is becoming too complicated for me to bother with. I always want some forwards momentum in my game, so having to watch every single game on Full, just in case I suddenly need to change 7 sliders on 5 players to counter something, that then changes again 7 minutes later, is just not my idea of fun.

I don't want one tactic that will ensure that my team wins. I also want some possibilities to change tactics, either for the whole team or the individual players. The problem for me becomes when setting someone's Mentality bar two ticks too high will result in near catastrophe.

I haven't come to "master" 2010 yet .. only really got through pre-season twice, but I do like the new Wizard setup and the Touchline Instructions.

But in FM09 ... I almost needed 12 different tactics to have some sort of success (using the Role of One or Role of Two tactic advice). But if I selected the wrong one, even non-league teams could beat me with 4 or 5 goals. This I found frustrating alot.

I hope that in 2010 by using the presets and the Wizard, you can have a reasonable chance of success, depending on how you put your team together.

Also I would say that the in-game help and manual are nearly worthless in explaining how to set tactics, when the preset 4-4-2 doesn't work. To manage my side, i would then need to spend hours first reading threads on the Tactics forum or reading the 60 page TTF manual.

Now the last bit I live with because I love managing my favorite side(s) in this game, but I can understand why many don't. Also people who don't visit the forum, would get frustrated with how the game handles, since there is no real indication in the game what you might be doing wrong. And I am fundamentally against game design that almost requires you to visit a forum for several hours before you can really enjoy the game.

As someone else mentioned in this thread: "Goalie stands around looking at the ball until the striker takes it and scores" = My defensive line is too high. How would I ever know this, if I didn't read the forums?

Now it might just be a Match Engine error in the way it shows this, but if the match engine can't show me, the (casual) player, what is wrong, then I will never be able to change it, and I will get frustrated and then either stop playing, or start threads about "Match engine suxx" or something like that.

So in conclusion, I do use the tactics and spends lots (too much if you sk me) of time on tweaking tactics pre-game, but I do sometimes miss the older days where it was a bit more simple to set up and play the game.

I sometimes feel like that I need a coach license education before I can play and enjoy a successful game.

Archived