Career Thread- with lots Steve Bruce like loyalty

SJ234

I won the Bulgarian Eastern "B" Group and was promoted, and after 10 games in the top flight and only 1 win I hedged my bets and resigned, coming up with an ingenious plan.

Both Basel and Grasshoppers were greatly underachieving in the Swiss Super League and their managers were listed as very insecure, and they were playing eachother the next game, so i declared interest in both, Grasshopper gaffer got the boot and I was offered the job.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting third in Série B (Campeonato Brasileiro), Vasco just too good in this division. One major time bomb being the fact I have eleven players from my squad whose contract expires come the end of the season (31/10/2009) and due to Guarani’s poor financial state I can’t really afford to offer them new deals right now.

On the plus Dairo and Silva have been scoring goals and forming a great partnership, still pleased with my league position considering I’m predicted fifteenth. Twelve games left to play. :)

Argh! As Hartlepool manager I started off REALLY bad. Lost 9 out of the first 10 games (drew the other) then, had a bad period until 1st January where I was bottom of league with 8 points. I then set a target for the season of 18 points total, as I didnt want to be the lowest ever points total in the 3rd tier (currently 17 points held by Stoke!)

Flash forward until the last game of the season, I am on 43 points, 1 point behind Stockport, I have Brentford in the last game who I beat 3-1 in the previous game against them, they have nothing to play for and will finish 16th.

Stockport have 44 points, playing Tranmere in the last game of the season. Stockport lost 2-1 against them in the last game together.

Stockport have a greaer goal difference (-27 against -14) so I have to win and hope Stockport either lose or draw.

To make things worse, my best striker (Anichebe) has just gone back to Everton as his loan deal ended AND my best defender was injured in the last game and is out for 3 weeks...........wish me luck!

Played my final game and won 2-0! Banned all radios from the ground so we didnt hear the other score and after the match, we all huddled into the changing room and turned Sky Sports News on for the scores.....

It took and age to come through but finally the name Stockport arrived.....

Stockport 1 Tranmere...............................................................................1!!!!! Woohoo I stayed up on the final game of the season! And to make things even better, Tranmere went 1-0 down and equalised in the final 10 minutes, and the scorer? Savage! Wish he was a relative lol id invite him around to Christmas dinner next year! :)

Finally underway with my 2nd season at the helm at Ängelholm. Mixed start to our Premier League campaign but 6 points from 4 games is a respectable return, especially for what is more or less a new squad after I brought in 14 new players in pre-season, mostly on frees.

First game up is a tough one - one of the title favourites, AIK at home. I'm fearing the worst after Seyfo Soley gets a red card 15 minutes into his debut, but, after some re-shuffling we start to dominate and superstar striker Mattias Adelstam nets twice for a deserved 2-0 win. Including subs, 11 players make their Ängelholm debut.

Another red card in the next game against Kalmar and we're not so lucky slipping to a 2-1 defeat after taking the lead. Another defeat follows at Örgryte, its a tight game so I'm not too concerned - could've went either way. The next game is concerning though as we get battered at Gefle for most of the game - the result Gefle 2-3 Ängelholm. Funny old game football! Adelstam again popping up with the goods with a late winner.

My African contingent are doing well with the GK Naby Yattara, CB Lamine Traoré, and midfield men Jo Ngwenya and Cherif Touré especially impressing. Enjoying trying to get these minnows punching above their weight, hopefully a good cup run and a comfortable spot in mid-table aren't beyond this squad.

Well, my career so far has been an interesting one. Having moved from Chelmsford to Southampton in season two, I was then offered the USA managers job, I suppose because I grabbed a couple of trophies with Chelmsford and got promotion with Southampton. I won the Copa America just a month after taking over, somehow beating Argentina 3-1 in the final. This boosted my reputation massively, so after completing my season at Southampton and winning promotion to the Premiership I was offered the AC Milan job! The squad was ancient, brought in a lot of younger players, such as Mousa Sissoko and a few regens, then the goals of Pato fired me to the Serie A league title in my first season, my first top flight league triumph! However, before the end of the season, many of the players wanted to leave for a bigger club, and I wasn't interested in rebuilding the squad again, so I finished my season and resigned. I was unemployed over the summer, turning down some Brazilian club jobs, then was offered the Atletico Madrid job in late September, so here goes my first adventure in La Liga!

2009/10 - Took over at Spartak (Varna) after 8 games, won the league and gained promotion.

2010/11 - Left Spartak (Varna) after 15 games for Grasshopper-Club Zurich, finished bottom and relegated.

2011/12 - Won the league and gained promotion, won Swiss Cup.

2012/13 - Won the league and Swiss Cup.

2013/14 - Left Grasshopper-Club Zurich after 1 game and took over at Aston Villa, and I'm currently 4th after 8 games. Also took over Norway as my first foray into international management.

Best game I've had on FM so far.

Thanks Hopey, I've had the best run of fixtures I've ever seen so far, my first 10 league games were all against teams predicted to finish in the bottom half! There was only one exceptionl, Valencia, but Aguero was outstanding and grabbed a hat-trick in a 4-0 win! Top of the league by 5 points in mid November :)

Edit: And just secured a 2-0 win over Barcelona at home :D

After having problems with my Ipswich save (annoyingly, as I'd got Ipswich up to 4th from 13th by the end of the season largely thanks to Kris Boyd), I restarted my career game with different leagues:

-Finland (Top division only)

-Denmark (Top division only)

-Portugal (Top division only)

-Germany (Top division only)

-England (Championship and above)

I decided to go with these as I thought they offered a progression from the obscure through a fairly increasing range up to England, as well as the fact that I wanted to try managing in some different countries. I don't particularly care for LLM either. My manager again has Professional footballer reputation, but this time I started at a club as I wanted to start in the Finnish league as it is the most obscure. I chose HJK, probably the biggest club in Finland but with a media prediction of 3rd this year. I have actually managed in Finland before, with Tampere Utd on an FM 3 or 4 years ago, and enjoyed it, eventually builidng the club to be competitive in the CL group stages (Zalayeta was fantastic I seem to remember...) However this year the Finnish league seems to be more of a challenge, mainly as the clubs are all totally skint. I was handed the princely transfer budget of £35K and a wage budget of around £30K (not actually too bad), meaning my only signings have been on frees. So far I've brought in, amongst others; Omozusi, Enarkahire, Shilla (I don't know how), Brellier, Musampa, Ljubojevic and in the last transfer window Vladimir Weiss, Adel Taraabt and a Brazilian striker called Bruno Moraes. For some reason triallists are allowed to play in competitive matches in Finland so Felipe Caicedo, Giovani Dos Santos and David N'Gog also played a few matches earlier in the season when I needed players, I don't know why this is possible. A few of the existing HJK players have played very well too, especially Medo at CM and a striker called Akseli Pelvas, meaning after 18 matches of the 26 game season we are top by 8 points, and are unbeaten. The standard isn't great. We have also just qualified for the EURO Cup group stages after beating a Lithuanian team called Suduva and scraping through against Wisla Kraków and AJ Auxerre, and will be thrashed by Hamburg, Man City and Rubin Kazan in our group. I'm hoping that this will make more money available to me (the club's turnover for the year so far is only £2.58M, of which £1.28M has come from EURO Cup prize money, so it should make quite a difference), and I will be able to sign some better players. The plan is to stay for a couple of seasons anyway and then see whether I can get a move to a bigger club in a bigger league!

Well, my career so far has been an interesting one. Having moved from Chelmsford to Southampton in season two, I was then offered the USA managers job, I suppose because I grabbed a couple of trophies with Chelmsford and got promotion with Southampton. I won the Copa America just a month after taking over, somehow beating Argentina 3-1 in the final. This boosted my reputation massively, so after completing my season at Southampton and winning promotion to the Premiership I was offered the AC Milan job! The squad was ancient, brought in a lot of younger players, such as Mousa Sissoko and a few regens, then the goals of Pato fired me to the Serie A league title in my first season, my first top flight league triumph! However, before the end of the season, many of the players wanted to leave for a bigger club, and I wasn't interested in rebuilding the squad again, so I finished my season and resigned. I was unemployed over the summer, turning down some Brazilian club jobs, then was offered the Atletico Madrid job in late September, so here goes my first adventure in La Liga!

That sounds like a great career game mate, nice work.

Thanks randommagician, your games looks pretty good too, never tried managing in a league like Finland, so good luck! I've just drawn 1-1 away at my biggest rivals in both local terms and competitive terms, Real Madrid, but despite the results I've been getting, I'm not feeling the love for Atletico Madrid, a lot of the players were unhappy when I arrived and are still annoyed, so I've decided this is only going to be a one-season venture, I'm then going to resign and look for a move back to Italy, where I enjoyed my time a lot more. Until then, I'm going all out to win the league and EURO Cup with Atletico.

Right after a massive long Chelsea game I want to start a new career. After reading this thread I wanna do it this way. So here goes, I'm gonna start on Unemployed and apply for little jobs - start at the bottom like IRL. My goal is to become either Inter, Barcelona or Chelsea manager. I'm gonna load up the English to BSS leagues, Scots league to div 3 and Spanish league - top league only and Italian league B. I'm starting as "automatic' so have to earn my reputation. Wish me luck as I've never done anything like this before. Tend to do jobs with quite abit of money to spend.

man ive been sacked all ready - was applying for other jobs and then they sacked me! Great!

The aim of LLM is to build up your reputation, if your applying for every job then your not going to be trustworthy. Ask yourself this:

1) If you was a manager and someone working for you kept appying elsewhere, wouldnt you sack them?

2) Would you trust that person to run your business?

3) Would you hire someone with a reputation like that?

I suggest starting again, keep with your team 2 or 3 seasons (maybe even loner if your succesful) and see how your career goes then.

Bucket, I've had that before, when I took over at AC Milan they were immediately reviewing my position, but it was just because of how bad the previous manager was I think, it's just a glitch.

Carl 272, sounds like an interesting career so far! Good luck at CSKA!

same game mate! Now being mentioned for the Wrexham job after 2 games at Lewes, i kept quiet when asked!

That could be why your under scrutiny then, they simply cant trust you!

And as for other jobs, unless I definatly want it (ie ive taken my current team as far as I can) then I always deny the rumours. Chairmen love that ;)

Oh well, my Cup run didn't last long - knocked out in the 1st round away to Kalmar in extra time. Tough draw but still disappointing. Followed that up with a brilliant 4-3 win against runaway league leaders and reigning champs Gothenburg who'd won 8 out of 9 before the game. Still 10th but only 4 points off third now, think I'm getting ahead of myself...

Only just noticed that our ground capacity is 958 - that's tiny. The next smallest in the league is 4,500, most are well over 10,000. Makes the win over Gothenburg that bit sweeter though.

EDIT: Just noticed there's only one other club in the top 4 Swedish Leagues with a ground capacity of less than 1,000!

Confirmed the title for HJK with about 5 games left, unfortunately lost the next game to a 90th minute penalty so the unbeaten season eludes me (I lost the game after securing the title in another save for my only defeat of the season too.) Through to the Finnish Cup final also. We've been the entertainers so far in the EURO Cup, losing 3-2 at Hamburg after having been 2-1 up, and drawing 4-4 at home to Man City after having been 4-2 down. It has been bringing in the money like I hoped, the City game was the first sell-out we've had all season and brought in about 250K on ticket sales/ matchday revenue, which is a significant proportion of our overall revenue. I think I'll stay at the club for another year, and probably resign at the end of next Finnish season (around October/ November time).

Right, had a great season at Atletico Madrid, just secured the league title with a 2-0 home win over Real Madrid, and I've got the EURO cup final against Tottenham coming up next. Also had my best game ever on FM, a 4-3 away win over Barcelona, having come back from 3-1 down. I'm going to resign at the end of the season and then wait until a job comes up that really excites me, as Atletico hasn't been as challenging as I was hoping for, I just had them play a simple tactic of get the ball to Aguero and watch.

Also, has anybody noticed any strange managerial moves on their game? Tony Mowbray is at Real Madrid on mine!

Right, had a great season at Atletico Madrid, just secured the league title with a 2-0 home win over Real Madrid, and I've got the EURO cup final against Tottenham coming up next. Also had my best game ever on FM, a 4-3 away win over Barcelona, having come back from 3-1 down. I'm going to resign at the end of the season and then wait until a job comes up that really excites me, as Atletico hasn't been as challenging as I was hoping for, I just had them play a simple tactic of get the ball to Aguero and watch.

Also, has anybody noticed any strange managerial moves on their game? Tony Mowbray is at Real Madrid on mine!

Well done mate, good season again. The Mowbray thing is ridiculous!

Finished the Finnish season with the league and cup double, just drawn 2-2 at Man City as well which I was very pleased with. The press have recently made me favourite for the Bolton job (they're still in the Premiership) and a Portuguese one, I've signed a new contract with HJK though.

Right, finished my season and resigned from Athletico, am now on the look out for an exciting challenge, I don't mind where, just a job that'll really challenge me. Thrashed Spurs 4-0 in the EURO cup final btw, so that's another trophy under my belt, my first continental club one. Mowbray is insecure at RM so I could nick his job but I'm not feeling it tbh. Other strange managerial choices are Gary Neville at Ipswich, Sol Campbell at Palace and Ancelotti left Chelsea for Man Utd.

Archived