[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

• SI Staff

It just seems to all be going the same way as my last San Marino game. Decent start then it all goes to pot and I'm going to end up relegated.

Hopefully I'll be able to stop the rot. Five straight defeats now including the last one being 5-3 away to Ancona. I wish I could defend icon_frown.gif

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 

| 12th | | Lumezzane | | 28 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 33 | 38 | -5 | 36 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 13th | | San Marino | | 29 | 8 | 9 | 12 | 30 | 31 | -1 | 33 |

| 14th | | Pavia | | 29 | 8 | 8 | 13 | 31 | 44 | -13 | 32 |

| 15th | | Padova | | 29 | 8 | 6 | 15 | 29 | 35 | -6 | 30 |

| 16th | | Sangiovannese | | 29 | 7 | 7 | 15 | 34 | 51 | -17 | 28 |

| 17th | | Ivrea | | 29 | 7 | 4 | 18 | 31 | 54 | -23 | 25 |

| 18th | | Sassuolo | | 28 | 2 | 11 | 15 | 17 | 45 | -28 | 17 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/code

Only 5 games left, just trying to finish outside of the playouts.

The squad will be very different next season, just hope I can find enough quality to replace all the players that are leaving.

One of my scouts did find Alex Fernandez, he's now going to Juventus in the summer, maybe I'll be able to loan him icon_cool.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 12th | | Lumezzane | | 28 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 33 | 38 | -5 | 36 |

| 13th | | San Marino | | 29 | 8 | 9 | 12 | 30 | 31 | -1 | 33 |

| 14th | | Pavia | | 29 | 8 | 8 | 13 | 31 | 44 | -13 | 32 |

| 15th | | Padova | | 29 | 8 | 6 | 15 | 29 | 35 | -6 | 30 |

| 16th | | Sangiovannese | | 29 | 7 | 7 | 15 | 34 | 51 | -17 | 28 |

| 17th | | Ivrea | | 29 | 7 | 4 | 18 | 31 | 54 | -23 | 25 |

| 18th | | Sassuolo | | 28 | 2 | 11 | 15 | 17 | 45 | -28 | 17 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Should work this time. Just shows how the defence isn't bad apart from a lot of the goals conceded are bad mistakes, but we just struggle to score.

I just got a bit of a gift. Rimini just offered 650k for a 50% share in Devis Nossa. Plus, San Marino get to keep him for 2 years and he is only on 1.5k per week.

I know he will likely be worth more than 1.3m in 2 years time, but I get 650k now, when I really need it, and it will stop other clubs coming in for him.

Was sitting on 350k, now up to 1m, without losing a player.

I have made some additions to the coaching staff, firing one Italian, to make room for Marino Righi (SMR), Jorg Stiel (SUI), and a new San Marinese scout, Federico Protti.

These three actually make up the only decent staff I have.

My link with Cesena has been cancelled, and I now have Torino as a parent club. I also have my first feeder in Riccione. No players moved either way yet.

Looks like I have a tough season ahead. Just lost to fellow Serie B team Cesena, 0-3 at home in a friendly.

I fielded a weak team, but unfortunately they were also my 1st 11. icon_wink.gif

Goalkeeping duties sorted for 4 years.

Was quite happy to sign Pipolo from Roma. My biggest signing, 675k, and with Brivio retiring at the end of the season, the future looks alright for goalkeeping duties.

Regarding tactics, sticking with my 4-1-3-2, quick/direct play for now, and see how it goes. My young squad look to be improving, so hopefully most of them will be regulars in this Serie B team.

Got through the first qualifying round of the Italian cup, with a 3-2 away win over Giulianova, but then got dumped out in the 2nd qualifier with a 0-3 loss away to Triestina.

About to start the league away to Perugia, then home to Cremonese and Taranto. It doesnt look that hard, but I am 50-1 for promotion, and the relegation favourites.

• SI Staff

I just can't understand it. I'm playing well in most games but just not getting results. Stupid draws at home against rubbish teams and losing all the other games. I'm only four points off the bottom and it's looking like the best I can hope for is the playouts if I don't collapse completely and finish bottom, which happened the last time I played a San Marino game. Baffling.

Followed that up with a 4-1 away win against the team one place below me, the highest playout place. We should finish just above the playouts again, which isn't too bad (nothing compared to some of you who are getting promoted though icon_frown.gif).

A lot of the players won't sign new contracts as it means reducing their wages quite a bit.

Finally completed a laborious first season of endless scouting, player searches, random plugging of letter-combinations into the search engine and endless trials to piece together a team and gained promotion, won the Serie C Cup and the Serie C Super Cup.

I signed 28 players (a lot of them youngsters though), most of the 1st team signings worked out well though there were 2 complete duds but they'll be off soon as they were only on end-of-season deals. I accepted a 3.6mill bid for Bertolina from Blackburn, but also offered him a new contract which, amazingly, he accepted.

Can't imagine I'll have much luck in Serie B though, with no money to spend and about a dozen players being sought after by other clubs. I've already agreed to sell one of my signings for 100k (a Swiss winger, Porcelli).

• SI Staff

Well my first season is finally over and I finished a disappointing 15th, one place below my media prediction. Drew the playout on agg and was saved from relegation by being the highest placed team. On the positive side of things I believe that I have a very good young squad that is just missing some vital experience which I'll hopefully be able to bring in over the summer.

A total of 26 players were brought in over the season at a combined cost of £200k. Only 7 left which brought in £140k so I'll have to do some trimming during the close season and get rid of some of the overpaid squad players and replace them with more exciting youth players.

My backroom staff needs some work as a couple of them have left so I think I'll be having a reshuffle during the close season and then tying up the good ones on longer term deals instead of the season by season deals I've had them on.

My best player was Giovanni Abate who scored a decent 22 goals in 36 games, which was pleasing. Felipe Giacomini is also improving rapidly and a few bigger teams are sniffing around, but I managed to get rid of his £300k min fee release clause when he signed a new long-term deal. Another player I'm quite excited about is 18-year-old Bosnian international Esmir Sabic who I managed to sign from under the noses of PSG and Sampdoria by offering him rather high wages. He's been thrown in to my first team where he has done 'alright'. I'm hopeful this is one I'll be able to sell for a massive profit. A few of the young Spanish players I signed have been doing well for my reserves so maybe those will get a chance to feature in my first team.

Sadly my feeder club Boca San Lazzaro got relegated so I'll be looking to replace them with a team in an active division. On the flip side, my parent club Bologna won Serie B so hopefully they will send me some good players as they have done eff all for me so far.

I'm going to have to try my hardest not to end up with a 40 man squad like I usually do as I can't seem to resist signing all the players who are released in the close season that I like the look of. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I accepted a 3.6mill bid for Bertolina from Blackburn, but also offered him a new contract which, amazingly, he accepted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was he worth keeping? Couldn't you do a lot more with £3.6m?

Right near the end of the season and we're playing really well, but its too late to reach the playoffs icon_frown.gif Should have used the direct and quick 4-4-2 from the start. Next season will be very different with a new squad, so no idea how that'll turn out, might be a season of rebuilding and take a while for the squad to gell.

The assistant teamtalk feedback only said in the middle of this season the players are blending well together.

Just beat AlbinoLeffe (about to win the league) 3-2 away, so thats 2 wins in 3 games against them (they knocked us out of the Cup in the end).

I've had to get rid of some of the San Marinese staff as they wouldn't sign new contracts. I've found some new San Marinese staff to replace them with, and trying to find a few more.

For some reason you start off with loads of physios on long contracts, I've let a few go by using mutual termination, one of the original physio's had 1 for physiotherapy! I found an unemployed physio from San Marino with a 10 rating, so got him in to replace the two I let go.

I also had the problem of staff not signing new contracts, so I signed new San Marinese staff as well.

Feb 09 in Serie B, sitting in 14th position, safely above relegation danger.

The transfer window has just closed, but I got two good buys in. Ricardo Faty from Roma and Andrea Parola from Atalanta.

Due to my wealth of talent in the DM position, I have switched to a 4-3-1-2 formation, playing narrow and through the centre. Not sure how it will go. I had long term injuries to my two right wings, so tried training Bertolina up with little success.

Of the originals still playing, Devis Nossa has a rating of 7.27 from 26 games, and Del Prete 6.55 from 15(7). He has also had 13 international caps at age 18, and has the record for the youngest player for San Marino (the country).

San Marino won their first international game 1-0 over Georgia. Georgia completely dominated them but San Marino's 1 shot to Georgia's 11 was enough. Saved a screenie, may post later.

Oh, and if someone offers me 3.6m for Bertolina, I am definitely selling.

Ter, I think you have to be very careful with the finances while still in Serie C1. If you sign too many players, or offer too high wages, you will get stuck and not be have any flexibility. Youth is definitely the way to go. Cheap wages and you almost always make a profit.

icon_frown.gif

just got sacked after 17 league games of my third season was in 16th and had only won 1 game after the board sold my three best players over my head!!

gunna start again as i think this is a good challenge, will post any notable progress soon

I signed this player last season on a free-

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3678/villanlf0.jpg

Didn't do much, was going to release him, but his attributes have improved suddenly a bit, he had a stamina problem (it was only 6), but 9 isn't too bad so I'm hoping he'll score a few goals with his pace next season, especially with Abate leaving on a free.

If he does well I can post amusing headlines such as 'Villan the hero' icon_wink.gif

Zoboli is finally leaving (the one who requested a transfer), the chairman accepted a £200k bid. The chairman also accepted a bid of £300k for Nossa. Hopefully I'll get a bit to spend and build a decent squad to replace everyone thats leaving. There will be loads of room for wages now.

Another player I signed last season on a free is this French left back-

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6761/shammoutxb4.jpg

The scout rated him highly for some reason, but at the time his attributes were all 2 or 3 points lower, so he looked quite poor. I took a risk, loaned him out to Boca San Lorenzo and he's returned to the club a better player icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by g3n1u5:

icon_frown.gif

just got sacked after 17 league games of my third season was in 16th and had only won 1 game after the board sold my three best players over my head!!

gunna start again as i think this is a good challenge, will post any notable progress soon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky, good to see you're giving it another go though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was he worth keeping? Couldn't you do a lot more with £3.6m? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, he's clearly my best player, he just developed in leaps and bounds during the season - but you're right, the money would have been very useful. I really just offered him a contract as a matter of course, I didn't for a moment think he'd choose little San Marino over Blackburn. But clubs are still sniffing around him, so maybe I can attract even higher bids.

I got rid of the parent club and have now got Parma which has given me 2 good players for the season. They'll actually feature as opposed to rotting away in the reserves, which is useful. Neither are wingers or defenders which is what I need most.

Bit disappointed with the youth players this season, I cleared out most of last season's, but only received about 5 new ones, most in positions I already had players for. I'll have to spend some time looking for unattached youth players which is a bit of a pain.

I've signed loads of players, got too many strikers now icon_biggrin.gif, Cagliari as our new parent club. They sent me a very good right back, a quality striker and a decent pacey striker. Also got a DM on loan from Fiorentina, and several frees. Loaned 4 players out to Boca San Lorenzo, including two English players I signed last January.

• SI Staff

I've actually done quite well this pre-season and got rid of a lot of players and I'm not really looking to bring in many. Got a keeper that Juventus released as backup / competition for my regular keeper and have had to sign a left back as my regular one got injured for a couple of months. The squad is a bit thin on the ground and the U20's aren't really up to scratch yet apart from a couple of Spanish boys I brought in. I got a 15 year old San Marino player who scored a few good goals in pre-season so he might have some potential so I'll have to keep an eye on him.

This is quite a challenge! San Marino starts out in terrible financial shape, which makes it hard to get off to a good start. I managed thirteenth in my first year, one point clear of the play-outs. An exciting finish, especially when I discovered that goal difference wasn't the first tie-breaker. I was one or two bad games away from being relegated with a positive goal difference. Those wacky Italians! A crazy run of injuries in January made things tight. I lost four strikers long-term in three weeks, including Abade (22 appearances, 16 goals) to a broken leg. Also reached the quarter-final of the Serie C Cup, which, as far as I can tell, is as useless a competition as you'd ever want to be involved in.

I cut ties with Cesena and asked the board for a new parent club. They came back with... Cesena. Oh well, at least they have a good youth program. They didn't send me anyone. Vindictive? icon_smile.gif On the bright side, it seems pretty easy to get good young Italian players to come here on loan. Must be the scenery.

Year two is looking better as I'm mostly clear of all the bad contracts the club starts with. Is there any limit to the cash injections? I suppose eventually the board will run out of money, go into receivership and the club will be penalized enough points to guarantee relegation, but has anyone seen that happen yet?

For those who care about individual players: Alex Gasperoni has been a notable free agent signing. He's been solid for the club and has also been playing for the senior national team since day one. He won't sign a new deal right now, but I'm not too worried: if he gets a chance with a big club and starts training with world-class coaches, that'll only help out the national team, right? Davide Giubilato is an experienced centre-back that I bought from Napoli for a mere two thousand euro; he finished the 06-07 season as the fans' player of the year and made the C1/B Team of the Year. Runner-up signing of the season!

Dei actually had a decent year in goal for me. He averaged right around one goal per game, seemed to make a lot of key stops and even saved two of the three penalties he had to face. My scouts have turned up a pair of young French keepers that are both already better than him, though, so I'm phasing him out. (A. Scribe, Montpellier, and V. Degre, Metz)

Co-ownership is still confusing to me as I've never tried managing in Italy before. The board sold my half share of Nossa and I got stuck with the other two guys that San Marino starts with. I accepted one co-own offer early on (30K for R. Di Maio) and the other team came back a week later and bought the other half of him for 95K more! While I seem to have gotten far the better of the deal, I still felt like I was getting tricked, and I've been ignoring all co-own offers since.

Ah well. I'm starting to make progress investing in promising teenagers. I'm probably about two years away from being talented (and financially stable) enough to get promoted.

Season 08/09 San Marino review

I'm shell shocked! I dont know how it happened. All was going so well early on and I made a couple good signings.

My switching to narrow with either 3 AM's at home or when needing to attack, and 3 DM's away or when needing to defend failed big time. Ricardo Faty did finish with a 7.17 rating though, so he wasnt the reason.

From rounds 33 to 41 inclusive, I went 9 games without a win. Won my last game and thought I was safe in Serie B in 19th position. Only to later find I was in a playout against my old parent club Cesena. I blew a 1-0 lead in the away leg to lose 2-1, then at home, despite throwing everything at them drew 0-0 but had a goal disallowed which would have seen us safe.

So, I am spending 09/10 in Serie C1A. Different clubs to play as in Serie C1B, so a good change of scenery.

I dont want to jinx things, but with the squad I have, I cant see how we will not win this division. (damn, I jinxed it)

I managed to pick up Peter Halmosi with an expiring contract, so I guess my play will be directed down the left flank now. Time to play wide again, it work in Serie C last time.

So with Halmosi, Faty, Pipolo and Parola, I have 4 Serie A quality players. As well as Bertolina much improved at 21yrs old. Nossa is extremely solid now, wants to leave to play at a higher level, but the 50% ownership sorted that for another season.

Esposito is now natural in DM, and accomplished at DC or MC, so a good help. Del Prete has been out for a while with a broken foot, but wasn't really cutting it in Serie B anyway.

I got a stadium expansion of 4486 seats, which with the stadium bug should mean an extra 9000 seats. This cost 2.2m, which the board took a loan for, but I also got a grant of 2.2m, meaning I went from 500k in debt to 1.7m above and a bigger stadium. That will go quick with Serie C gate reciepts and Serie B wages as well as a loan to pay. I am back to watching the finances again.

I never asked for the expansion, the board did it off their own initiative. The Irony of this is that I have been asking for Training/youth facility improvements and they kept telling me we didnt have enough money.

Oh well, bring on Serie C1A, (and hopefully the Serie C cup).

Oh, I also got a versatile Guinean, Thierno Bah, from my parent club Torino.

He looks pretty handy and will hopefully fill in the right wing role, currently a weak point for me.

I better put a screenie up of him, since I've mentioned him a few times.

And how could I leave out the San Marino national team's moment of glory. A triumph against the odds.

My Striker Valle now has 4 goals in 10 appearances, which is the San Marinese national record.

• SI Staff

Unlucky Fastbasher icon_frown.gif

I keep thinking my team are good enough as well but they just go and throw it away or something or I can't get them performing well which is incredibly frustrating.

I've had another excellent start to the 07/08 season and can hopefully get rid of the dead wood and make a challenge for the title this season. It's going to be tough though as I lost my opening match 2-1 away to recently relegated Bari, which didn't really bother me too much to be honest.

• SI Staff

August 2007 Update

Well here is an update on how my pre-season preps have gone for the coming season and my early impressions of the squad and hopes for the coming season.

<LI>Results

3-3 v Bologna (H) - Friendly

1-1 v Bologna Reserves (H) - Friendly

2-0 v Boca San Lazzaro (A) - Friendly

2-0 v Castelnuovo (H) - Serie C Cup

5-0 v Montevarchi (H) - Serie C Cup

3-1 v Fano (A) - Serie C Cup

1-2 v Bari (A) - Serie C1/B

I've got quite a tough start to the season with notable games coming up against Ancona (A), Catanzaro (A), Ternana (H), Gallipoli (A) in the first few weeks of the season.

<LI> Transfers

On the transfer front it's been quite quiet really.

INS

Luca Ceccarelli (AM RC) from Cesena (£1k)

Devis Nossa (D C) from Inter (£1k)

Luca Ferrari (AM/F C) from Empoli (£1k)

Giorgio Merlano (GK) on a free transfer

Mirko Bertoncini (D/WB L) from Empoli (£2k)

Adrian Viciu (GK) from Cadiz (£9k)

Mourad Meghni (AM RC) from Bologna (Loan)

OUTS

Too many to be arsed listing icon_razz.gif (£50k in total)

I'm particularly excited about Adrian Viciu and so was my scout who told me to sign him at all cost. Surprised I was able to get him so cheap but he's going to be on a good contract when he turns 17 so I had better get in Serie B soon. I'm sure he will be a worthwhile investment.

I'm been turning down lots of bids for Esmir Sabic as well, including a £110k co-own deal which would have enabled him to stay with me for two years. He's 18, got 7 caps and is worth £80k already and has another four years of his contract to run so I am in no hurry to cash in on him when (hopefully) he is only going to improve and his value soar.

A few of my other players are attracting unwelcome interest including Felipe Giacomini who has eight bigger clubs after him. He has just recently signed a new five year deal so again, I'm not going to be selling him (unless my chairman has other ideas)

Now... this is where it all goes wrong! Into September we go!

Have you chopped the finances yet Ter?

I have two players on 4.5k pw, plus another 5 on 3k or more. I was struggling last time with a couple of players on 2k, dont know how I'll cope this time. My extra large stadium (16,000 seats) wont help if I cant get people in to watch.

I will just watch the finances dwindle as I hopefully make it back up. There is no point in trying to buy anyone as I cant attract anyone to Serie C1 that will improve my team. No one wants to sign a new contract to help lower wages as all feel they should be playing at a higher level (the higher paid players that is).

I wonder if the attendances will be higher in the north of Italy?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you chopped the finances yet Ter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet unfortunately. We're still making a loss and my highest earner is Giovanni Abate on £2.6k per week. Esmir Sabic is behind him on £2.2k and there are only five other players above £1k.

I'm not too worried now with the financial situation as I know if I get into bother then I have some assets to sell to reduce the debt. I don't want to do anything like that though as I would rather have the cash injections icon_wink.gif

Well the cash injections are always there, but if you are in that state, it is hard to be able to offer enough wages to new players who join.

Abate's contract (1700pw) was expiring when we got relegated. He has just accepted a new one for 725 pw. Bargain!!! (pounds I'm working in, not euros)

He didnt score a single goal in Serie B, but hopefully his form will return now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Luca Ferrari (AM/F C) from Empoli (£1k) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he any good for you then Ter? Maybe he's better because you're using the latest data?

I keep getting cash injections from the board as well, they invested around £1.2m in the second season iirc.

• SI Staff

It's going to be interesting this season with regards to the striking positions anyway. I have some good players and the one I was most excited about last season (Mozika) couldn't really make an impact when he played so it turned out he didn't play that much; 5 (9) played / 3 goals scored. This season, Javi Arribas has been playing really well so far ; 5 games / 4 goals compared to his 5 (10) played and 0 goals (non) haul from last season. Giovanni Abate is my number one striker so the others Mathias Degache ( 19(9) / 5 last season) and Julien Gensel (14 / 6) are fighting it out amongst themselves to partner Abate in attack.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is he any good for you then Ter? Maybe he's better because you're using the latest data? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, he's pish and never plays but I can probably sell him for more than £1k icon_biggrin.gif

Know the feeling too well keep contemplate starting again but the challenge of being so rubbish drives me on.

First season I was top of the pile until january when alex fernandez got injured lack of backup killed us.

Second season it has just been up and down.

Thirs season about to start the finance are grim even after pawning loads of promising polish prospects. I seriously think there is some money launderers on the board icon_smile.gif

But this season I have went for a complete wage cut and have promoted a lot of the youngsters that look terrible. Hoping to get some sort of performance and possible sell on money.

Plus after reading most of this thread whilst at work I have came to figure I should have loaded the french league too hehe

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Plus after reading most of this thread whilst at work I have came to figure I should have loaded the french league too hehe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got seven French players in my first team squad icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

Argh ffs. I thought Catanzaro were good but they had lost their opening two games 3-0 at home to Giulianova and 7-0 away to Manfredonia. So what happens when Ter's San Marino come to town? Yeah, you ****ing guessed it. Shocking performance and I lose 2-0 icon_mad.gif

My team's fitness is shocking and their condition is regularly dropping to 60 - 70 by the end of the match icon_mad.gif

Somethings gone seriously wrong with your pre season then icon_biggrin.gif

The good striker I got on loan from Cagliari is out for between 3 and 5 months with a broken foot icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Just won the first Serie C Cup group game 4-0 away from home, and the pacey striker they sent me got a hat trick icon_cool.gif

Hopefully with the direct 4-4-2 from the start of the season we'll have a chance of making the playoffs.

I signed this player from my San Marinese feeder club, and loaned him out to my Serie D feeder club. He's improved a bit, and the scout report said he could become a leading Serie C right back, so hopefully he'll keep on improving a bit. I should at least make a bit of money out of him and help the national team.

He at least has the physical side which is a good start.

he looks pretty decent icon_smile.gif

Things are going pretty good in my 3rd season, we are making money after selling some polish players for highly inflated prices hehe

Sitting second 4 points behind top at january will post my squad at the end of the season.

Wang Dalei has been brilliant in the sticks so far though Inter are currently after the chinese international so I slapped a 5 million asking price on him icon_smile.gif

Pre-Season - 08/09

So I'm shaping my team up for the season ahead in Serie B and so far I'm relatively pleased with my preparations. I've possibly played a few too many friendlies (7 in total), but all at home and against teams like atlanta, livorno, bologna we managed to hold our own. The reason for so many friendlies is not only because of the financial rewards but also because I've brought in a lot of key players over the summer who needed to gel.

My personal gem would have to be a guy called Valerio Zappia who i've managed to pick up for £150k, and i'm hoping to mould him into the rock of my attacking midfield line, and then i've mostly concentrated on my defence bringing in ruben maldonado, stefano lombardi, cristiano domenico and alex pendazoli. Also brought in a few san marinese players to put into my reserve squad.

One of the big changes this season will be my use of a reserve team. I know there is no reserves league so basically what i'm doing is picking friendlies with all the Serie A team's reserves, and organised tours to different countries, the first being the San Marino league. This is just to bleed through some over 20's who are not ready for first team but are hopefully going to grow well.

Another big thing over the summer was the chairman managing to get Monaco as my parent club after I got rid of my last one, and in return they sent me three great players, Y.Thuram a goalkeeper who has went straight in ahead of Brivio, Djamel Bakar a promising right att mid, and Dominique Malonga who looks amazing in attack.

I've kept all my staff in place, and I would definately say having a few coaches (7 or 8 in my case) is a huge boost, even if you have to spend a little more.

Managed to get my finances upto £1.5 million after the sale of Devis Nossa to Bologna and it's still bringing in 65k a month over 24. So the board who have been great so far, accepted my bid to improve the training facilities.

As for competitive games, gone through two rounds already of the coppa italia and its looking good for the season ahead.

Season review 09/10

Well, we are back in Serie B, but not as easily as I had expected. We were out of a playoff spot until round 27, but finished in 3rd, 6 pts behind champions Brescia and equal with runner-up Lumezzane. We won the playoff final (2-1 away and 3-2 at home) against Lumezzane.

Success in both cups. We made the Semi-finals of the Serie C cup, losing out to Brescia, who completed a Serie C double.

In the Italian cup, we got through to the round of 16 and were drawn to face Roma. They demolished us, 3-0 in Rome, but we held a creditable 1-1 draw at home. The financial reward from the gate takings was huge.

Transfers In

Thierno Bah, Torino (free) versatile DRC, DM, AMRC

Geoffrey Tulasne, Sochaux (free) talented AM R, tons of pace

Coelho, Free Transfer. Promising young Portuguese Forward.

Paolo Nuti, Spezia (975k), 18yr old ST, bordering on wonderkid, scored 7 goals in first 8 games.

Transfers Out

Matteo Valli, Como (30k + 50% sell on) wanted to go and wouldnt sign new contract.

Devis Nossa, Catania (1m for the other half), sold the last 50% as his contract was ending. Fans not happy.

Luca Ceccarelli, Free

Davide Faieta, Free

Luca Ferrari, Free

Nicola Chiaruzzi, Free

Denny Giovannini, Free

Giovanni Abate, Free

Free players either couldn't cut it or in the case of Abate, was reduced to 5th choice ST and couldn't justify the wages.

Training facilities have been upgraded, and we have a comfortable 4.6m in the bank.

Huge increase in attendances last season, with a massive 15,945 turning up for the home playoff final.

Have also had a few friendlies against Serie A competition. Partly for the money, and partly because I believe we can compete. Lost 2-0 to Inter and 2-1 to Genoa, Won 1-0 against Chievo and had draws against Torino, Fiorentina and Napoli.

Bring on Serie B (again)

• SI Staff

Well, I'm coming towards the end of November and I have to say that overall I'm quite pleased with how things have been going. I'm currently sitting a comfortable 7th place in the league after nine matches.

I've been delighted with the progress of Esmir Sabic who is now valued at £220k! I'm also delighted with my 16-year-old Romanian keeper that I signed at the start of the season and he has coped really well with being thrown in at the deep end after both my keepers got injured. He's played six games and only conceded five goals so that is pleasing.

I'm out of the Serie C Cup as well. I was 2-1 up from the first leg against Como but I played my U20s and was thrashed 4-1 in the second leg icon_biggrin.gif Not really bothered about that competition anyway.

My U20s are doing quite well too and are sitting 3rd in their league with the players progressing nicely.

Is this where it all starts to go horribly wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this where it all starts to go horribly wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, usually just after you post about making 'progress' on the forum.

Life in Serie B:

A few weeks into September, three league games played for two wins and one draw. Was unfortunately knocked out in the second Qualifying Round of the Italian Cup by Perugia.

Made a few signings, the most notable were Schwenck (a Brazilian striker, my 1 allowed non-EU signing), the Angolan right winger Mendonca (took the entire pre-season to negotiate a deal), both on free transfers as well as Diego Marangon. The rest were youngsters who I think could develop into something - we shall see. No big-money sales, added up to only 300k. I tried to sign many more, but there was no interest and the wages we can offer don't compare to other Serie B clubs.

I think my first choice XI is definitely good enough to be competitive, but injuries could prove a real problem. Carbone was terrific for me last season, but looks like the sudden decline will hit hard this season, and he's out injured for 4 months anyway. His replacement was someone I got for free near the end of last season. A Brazilian called Adrianinho (has an EU 2nd nat) who I foumd through very random searching. He's not too bad, but seems very injury-prone. The playmaking AMC role will be my main concern come January.

Just finished pre season in my second season (second time around!!) finished 9th, was pretty happy due to large numbers of injuries and suspensions

the strike partner i got for abate was named second best signing of the year and finished second top scorer in the league with 17 abate had 14.

got Nossa from inter, but lost out on the other co-ownership offers. signed mottola who was on loan from roma he had 10 assists last season, signed veteran paolo vanoli for left back and urbano from juve to play next to nossa.

also got a hold of two italy u19 players, russotto a striker and leonardi a winger both were "definate purchases" so im expecting alot from them

predicted 14th again but will be happy to build on last year and make promotion playoffs

ill post any notable progress soon

oh and i think i might be the first to post a FM07 record while doing this challenge, i had 11 red cards(see records thread) during the season including 7 in 5 matches

just realised im in c1/a this year when i was in c1/b last. on what criteria do you change league? i know its not a promotion but is it a change on location (like conference north and south) or is it on reputation or performance or some other criteria?

anyone know?

Archived