Skins for high resolutions?

dave byrd

Hi all. I've just bought myself a new 28" monitor which runs a resolution of 1920x1200 which is all good, however FM looks awful now as everything is too small! I've tried upping the font sizes but still looks odd.

Are there any skins out there designed for players running high resolutions?

Is playing in windowed mode my only option?

The trouble is skinners need to cater for 1024x768 and upwards. The difference in resolution between 1024x768 and 1920x1080/1920x1200 will always leave a skin looking spaced out at the higher resolution. A good skinner should make their skin scalable so it'll still work, but there is nothing that can be done about the text sizes.

I do think it's a decent idea for skinners to produce a high-def version these days with large screens and HDTVs becoming more the norm but at the same time netbooks with smaller screens than 1024x768 are also becoming popular so the same could be said for a netbook version.

I don't think a skin has been produced specifically for HD screens but I'm sure they'll start popping up. I know my next skin will have multiple versions for different users.

I'd just increase the size of things rather than adding more stuff. Make the text sizes larger, row heights bigger etc. The fonts would probably look a lot better. It'd let you have more detailed icons and general interface stuff too.

BaYa - No poll thread needed thanks. This thread is enough to discuss the issue.

• 3 months later...

Have a look in the Dominion skin thread, somebody has made a high-res version of that I believe.

And yes, it would be ideal for skinners to make netbook, normal-res and high-res versions of their skins, but skinners are unpaid and do it for fun, usually for themselves and then release it incase anyone wants it.

Don't forget they go unpaid for this.

Maybe the question is, should SI make netbook and high-res versions of their skins? I think so, it then caters for everyone and would get more users I think.

I thought 1900x1200 was the norm these days.

Far from it and that's the problem for skinners.

You have people playing on anything from netbooks running WSVGA (1024x600) and laptops, to old 4:3 monitors, to iMacs @ 2560x1440. Widescreen monitors are making the shift to 16:9 too along with more people running their computer on an HDTV (1366x768 or 1920x1080).

Utter minefield when you're trying to make a skin that'll work for everyone.

• 5 weeks later...
Far from it and that's the problem for skinners.

You have people playing on anything from netbooks running WSVGA (1024x600) and laptops, to old 4:3 monitors, to iMacs @ 2560x1440. Widescreen monitors are making the shift to 16:9 too along with more people running their computer on an HDTV (1366x768 or 1920x1080).

Utter minefield when you're trying to make a skin that'll work for everyone.

Unfortunately, radestock is right. However, I too am up for a 1920x1080 Hi-Def Skin. I understand that skinners don't get paid, but this is a growing issue that will undoubtedly need to be addressed in the near future. I also agree that SI should incorporate Hi-Def skins with the standard ones that come with FM10. ;)

Archived