Thank you SI from a long-time fan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Emlyn Hughes Soccer anyone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah man im downloading that off worldofspectrum tonight!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That game rocked. End of conversation. The best was the sweetspot just on the halfway line where with a bit of luck you could spend the game lobbing the keeper from in Beckham-esque tribute.

Of course. Sensi and SWOS must also get honourable mentions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimmywils:

bcm- There is a thread at the moment on these forums where various members of the community, both old and new, have been sending their suggestions about how to make the forums a friendlier place.

Your attitude is one of the biggest problems around here.Bumble was making a perfectly reasonable comment and you, for some reason, decide to start a pitiful argument.

As a long time member yourself, you should know better. Who gives a rats backside when the guy registered. I didnt realise you had to be registered before a certain date to comment.

If your one of these lads that likes to 'prowl' the forums just to be a pain in the bum then please do us all a favour and grow up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always liked CM and FM games and I still like FM. I don't have an attitude. Fanboys like you, do.

And Brumble, I didn't know that you were an English teacher, and I still think it's SUSPICIOUS(is it right this time). icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimmywils:

bcm- There is a thread at the moment on these forums where various members of the community, both old and new, have been sending their suggestions about how to make the forums a friendlier place.

Your attitude is one of the biggest problems around here.Bumble was making a perfectly reasonable comment and you, for some reason, decide to start a pitiful argument.

As a long time member yourself, you should know better. Who gives a rats backside when the guy registered. I didnt realise you had to be registered before a certain date to comment.

If your one of these lads that likes to 'prowl' the forums just to be a pain in the bum then please do us all a favour and grow up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always liked CM and FM games and I still like FM. I don't have an attitude. Fanboys like you, do.

And Brumble, I didn't know that you were an English teacher, and I still think it's SUSPICIOUS(is it right this time). icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go troll somewhere else for attention.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bumble:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcm:

And Brumble, I didn't know that you were an English teacher, and I still think it's SUSPICIOUS(is it right this time). icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go troll somewhere else for attention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is looking for attention? "Oh, Thank you SI for a great game".

Quoted from Barbalith Underground - http://www.barbelith.com/topic/22769

*troll*

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group

alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet

designed to attract predictable responses or flames;

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts

specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup,

discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy

someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the

fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at

hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly

creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming

characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form

of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll."

Compare kook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

My own theory is that persistent trolls are the online equivalent of people who do not (or cannot) distinguish between positive attention (praise, approval) and negative attention (criticism, disapproval), but simply perceive attention = good. I think this is to do with early development/parenting: I suspect they've either come from large families where every child had to fight for parental attention; or one or other parent has been emotionally distant/disengaged (through depression, perhaps, or drug use) and our troll has learned that only the most extreme behaviour is sufficient to win him any attention at all. For whatever reason, any attention is welcome, with the board becoming a parent-substitute in the troll's 'look at me' reenactment of old patterns.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bcm - Ignored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bumble:

Quoted from Barbalith Underground - http://www.barbelith.com/topic/22769

*troll*

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group

alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet

designed to attract predictable responses or flames;

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts

specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup,

discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy

someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the

fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at

hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly

creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming

characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form

of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll."

Compare kook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

My own theory is that persistent trolls are the online equivalent of people who do not (or cannot) distinguish between positive attention (praise, approval) and negative attention (criticism, disapproval), but simply perceive attention = good. I think this is to do with early development/parenting: I suspect they've either come from large families where every child had to fight for parental attention; or one or other parent has been emotionally distant/disengaged (through depression, perhaps, or drug use) and our troll has learned that only the most extreme behaviour is sufficient to win him any attention at all. For whatever reason, any attention is welcome, with the board becoming a parent-substitute in the troll's 'look at me' reenactment of old patterns.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bcm - Ignored. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha, funny fanboy.

I can add to the sentiments in this gushing thread.

I wasnt actually too impressed by FMs original outing (yes, I know it wasnt written by SI) when I had it on the Speccy back in 82 (25 yrs playing Footie Manager games icon_eek.gif), as I just didnt like its lack of realism in only playing 15 games a season, and your 5* players turning into 1* players at the end of a season (and vice versa). Plus the 3D match engine was poor, and suffered from the closing down bug too, poor or no existent marking, too many one v ones missed (especially bearing in mind the goal was about 100 times bigger than the players) and the lack of any midfield play at all.

Anyway then came along The Double- which imo was the first football manager game to really take a shot at realism. They dispensed with a match simulation altogether and added tension by revealing your result via a Grandstand style tele-type. Plus the game had real player names and scout reports (no attributes were on show) and realistic finances.

Then the same company bought out "Tracksuit Manager" which was an international management game, and included a match engine for the first time. This was text based, and very similar to CM1/2/3 match presentation albeit presented in a cruder way- but I would be so surprised if this classic game didnt influence some of the design of CM1.

After that there was nothing until CM- I tried the Football Director series (FD2 128k only was very ambitious but so slooow and it crashed frequently), The Treble (not a sequel to the Double) and many others but nothing captured the feel or realism of the Double and Tracksuit Manager until CM, and I dont think anything else has yet apart from SIs offerings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboss332:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">8.0.2 - 'I want it naOW!' - Spoilt brats who do not have patience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some people just can't handle the fact that their team loses on FM sometimes and its quite ridiculous. I wonder if these same people expect Sir Alex to resign and have a whinge at EPL officials, accusing Sven of cheating, for losing against Man City despite the Man U players having better stats on FM08 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love how these fan boys come out with one recent example of things that have happened which you may not expect, then crack on to those who claim the game is unrealistic because of this, but people know these things happen in real life, this is part of football, but what you dont seem to understand is that in football manager it happens all the time! which makes it unrealistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it happened all the time surely you should pick a really poor team and win games 1-0 with one shot and win the league? Do you get relegated when you have a great team because you lose all of your games?

I remember soccer boss and cup football on the speccy and Ultimate soccer boss on the Amiga when you could offer 'bungs' to other managers.

It was pretty cack though.

bcm - you are a very silly little boy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is another one.

bcm - why not either contribute to the thread or ignore it?

Personally I still play FM every day. The series grows and grows - sometimes in directions I'm not keen on and sometimes in really good ways (and sometimes in ways I just ask "what was the point")!

The game is obviously still a labour of love for the SI troops and I hope it stays that way for a very long time.

Nice to see a positive post for a change.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveRH:

bcm - why not either contribute to the thread or ignore it?

Personally I still play FM every day. The series grows and grows - sometimes in directions I'm not keen on and sometimes in really good ways (and sometimes in ways I just ask "what was the point")!

The game is obviously still a labour of love for the SI troops and I hope it stays that way for a very long time.

Nice to see a positive post for a change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I do still play the game and enjoy it and I didn't mean to be rude to brmuble or anybody else, but he was insulting.

Dave, I do still play the game and enjoy it and I didn't mean to be rude to brmuble or anybody else, but he was insulting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good, let that be an end to it.

I don't think bcm's initial comment was that bad, just a little sarcastic. The comments afterwards from both sides were a bit personal though and not what we want to see.

Now that bcm's sort of apologised lets get past the arguing and back to the point.

I also very much enjoy FM. Despite the odd frustration or feature that I think could be improved, no other game has ever taken up as much of my time as this one. I literally play a version from the day it's released until the day the next version is released (not every day, I do have other things to do in my life, but you get the idea). That's a whole year for my £25. No other game will ever give me that kind of value for money.

And having worked for a games company myself I'm well aware of the long hours and hard work that go into making a game. And it's clear to me that the lads at SI work very hard to make FM the best footy management sim by a mile. So it's a big icon14.gif from me, and KUTGW!

Dave, I do still play the game and enjoy it and I didn't mean to be rude to brmuble or anybody else, but he was insulting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think bcm's initial comment was that bad, just a little sarcastic. The comments afterwards from both sides were a bit personal though and not what we want to see.

Now that bcm's sort of apologised lets get past the arguing and back to the point.

I also very much enjoy FM. Despite the odd frustration or feature that I think could be improved, no other game has ever taken up as much of my time as this one. I literally play a version from the day it's released until the day the next version is released (not every day, I do have other things to do in my life, but you get the idea). That's a whole year for my £25. No other game will ever give me that kind of value for money.

And having worked for a games company myself I'm well aware of the long hours and hard work that go into making a game. And it's clear to me that the lads at SI work very hard to make FM the best footy management sim by a mile. So it's a big icon14.gif from me, and KUTGW!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

And having worked for a games company myself I'm well aware of the long hours and hard work that go into making a game. And it's clear to me that the lads at SI work very hard to make FM the best footy management sim by a mile. So it's a big icon14.gif from me, and KUTGW! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

If im being honest, i wouldnt even notice most of the bugs if i didnt visit the forums.

Obviously, there are one or two that you cant miss but the cm/fm series has had me hooked for years.

I feel ashamed to admit that about 3 years ago i bought both fm and cm. I played cm for about an hour before i gave it to my younger brother for his birthday.

For me, this game is part of my daily routine, especially since my wife and son are still in the uk.

And i still do the imaginary press confrences on my way to work.

I remember soccer boss and cup football on the speccy and Ultimate soccer boss on the Amiga when you could offer 'bungs' to other managers.

bcm - you are a very silly little boy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first management game I ever played was Ultimate Soccer Manager. I remember the bungs and the opportunity to place bets on your games (great way to fluff up the transfer budget!). After playing USM98 for about a year, I went looking for an updated version of the game, and found CM2. I never looked back.

One of the things I find amusing about the complaints that are now being lodged regarding the match engine is that often, the play represented on the match engine (at least in lower leagues - I haven't played anything on the premier level as yet) shows really awful blunders - midfielders holding the ball until forcefully dispossessed, or slow, lazy back passes into the space right in front of goal. It's amusing because I have often thought that the biggest fault of the match engine was that play in the lowest semi-professional divisions looked no different than play in the EPL.

But even with the problems, the play now represented by the match engine looks more like a real match than any earlier version. As recently as FM07, it was almost impossible to get a back to overlap. Now, it's quite common.

I find myself more addicted than ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

You gave your brother a USED game?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, ive got 9 brother and sisters! Plus my own family.

Got to make savings somewhere. I did buy him a playstation 2 for xmas that year though so my guilt has all but gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first management game I ever played was Ultimate Soccer Manager. I remember the bungs and the opportunity to place bets on your games (great way to fluff up the transfer budget!). After playing USM98 for about a year, I went looking for an updated version of the game, and found CM2. I never looked back.

One of the things I find amusing about the complaints that are now being lodged regarding the match engine is that often, the play represented on the match engine (at least in lower leagues - I haven't played anything on the premier level as yet) shows really awful blunders - midfielders holding the ball until forcefully dispossessed, or slow, lazy back passes into the space right in front of goal. It's amusing because I have often thought that the biggest fault of the match engine was that play in the lowest semi-professional divisions looked no different than play in the EPL.

But even with the problems, the play now represented by the match engine looks more like a real match than any earlier version. As recently as FM07, it was almost impossible to get a back to overlap. Now, it's quite common.

I find myself more addicted than ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember buying USM and enjoying it but by that time my CM compulsion was all encompassing - nothing came close, and IM(not so)HO nothing else ever has yet so I paid it some attention then dumped it.

I have to agree that (bar obvious faults!) the match engine is getting better and better with each iteration. I thought FM07s was fantastic and played really well but in the moments when FM08s does click you just sit there, stunned and let your imagination run riot.

I have to agree that (bar obvious faults!) the match engine is getting better and better with each iteration. I thought FM07s was fantastic and played really well but in the moments when FM08s does click you just sit there, stunned and let your imagination run riot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately. In some previous titles FM/CM you had to convince yourself you were playing attractive football. You had the players, the tatics and the results, of course you are the new Brazil! But with 08 I can honestly say that I see it. The flow of the game and even some of the more subtle movements of the 'blobs' all add up at times to make a great show.

Personally it's not just attractive football you can see either. I definately notice if one team if physically wiping the floor with another. In essence you can see the Arsenals and your (under Big Sam) Boltons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

Personally it's not just attractive football you can see either. I definately notice if one team if physically wiping the floor with another. In essence you can see the Arsenals and your (under Big Sam) Boltons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was a couple of years back and FM06: When PCGamer reviewed it they oozed on and on about how much the preferred moves really emphasized individual player skills for the household names but I have to agree I'd rather see characteristic football as a whole rather than a show off.

And yes, you're absolutely right, the entire variation between the way teams play is gorgeous to watch at times. I actually like the fact that the scout reports can be quite equivocal about the opposition sometimes, it's nice to get battered and bruised (a la Big Sam) and then remember it for the reverse fixture and think, right, now 'I'm gonna get you!'.

Conversely, working out how to shut down the silky skills of Arsenal or Barcelona is one of my favourite challenges.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

Personally it's not just attractive football you can see either. I definately notice if one team if physically wiping the floor with another. In essence you can see the Arsenals and your (under Big Sam) Boltons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was a couple of years back and FM06: When PCGamer reviewed it they oozed on and on about how much the preferred moves really emphasized individual player skills for the household names but I have to agree I'd rather see characteristic football as a whole rather than a show off.

And yes, you're absolutely right, the entire variation between the way teams play is gorgeous to watch at times. I actually like the fact that the scout reports can be quite equivocal about the opposition sometimes, it's nice to get battered and bruised (a la Big Sam) and then remember it for the reverse fixture and think, right, now 'I'm gonna get you!'.

Conversely, working out how to shut down the silky skills of Arsenal or Barcelona is one of my favourite challenges. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, spot on. Team style over personal any time for me. Thats not to say the PPM's aren't appreciated or implemented well but when you go to watch a match you go to see a team perform rather than individuals. Unless of course you're a Huddersfield fan like me, then you don't go to watch you just go to suffer with fellow fans.

There's also the fact that the team's style can gradually change. I'm in 2020 so Arsene was shown the door quite a few years ago and one of the more recent managers was Paul Jewel. The team had gone from the continental flowing football side to a mainly English bruiser of a team.

Do like to hold a grudge for the second fixture, leg...any future meetings. I would love to see to rivals list changing as time went on. But until then I'll just been keeping a mental note of scores that need settling icon_biggrin.gif

Conversely, working out how to shut down the silky skills of Arsenal or Barcelona is one of my favourite challenges. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, spot on. Team style over personal any time for me. Thats not to say the PPM's aren't appreciated or implemented well but when you go to watch a match you go to see a team perform rather than individuals. Unless of course you're a Huddersfield fan like me, then you don't go to watch you just go to suffer with fellow fans.

There's also the fact that the team's style can gradually change. I'm in 2020 so Arsene was shown the door quite a few years ago and one of the more recent managers was Paul Jewel. The team had gone from the continental flowing football side to a mainly English bruiser of a team.

Do like to hold a grudge for the second fixture, leg...any future meetings. I would love to see to rivals list changing as time went on. But until then I'll just been keeping a mental note of scores that need settling icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's what the past meetings table is for. Damn it's satisfying to have a bogey team you've only ever drawn with before and then batter the Hell out of them.

Archived