Fm 2009 Bristol City Thread

briz_lad

Bristol City

0,,10327~3188060,00.jpg

Club Information

Bristol City Football Club is one of two football league clubs in Bristol, England, (the other being arch rivals Bristol Rovers). They play at Ashton Gate, located in the south-western portion of the City. Gary Johnson has been the team's manager since 23 September 2005, succeeding Brian Tinnion. They were promoted to the Coca-Cola Championship in the 2006-07 season after finishing second in League One but failed to make a second consecutive promotion to the Premier League after they were defeated by Hull City in the Championship Play-Offs.

Bristol City won the Welsh Cup - despite being an English team - in 1934. In 1907 they finished runners-up in Football League Division One, which is their highest-ever final position.

In 1982, Bristol City became the first English team to suffer three successive relegations but by 1990 they were back in the Second Division. Another relegation followed in 1995, when City finished second from bottom in the new Second Division, and a return to that division three years later lasted just one season. Most of their seasons between 1999 and 2006 were spent challenging for promotion in the upper half of the division.

The club's nickname is "The Robins", and a robin featured on the club's badge from 1976 to 1994. Official club merchandise, including replica kits, still has a label showing a robin. A recent attempt by the club to alter the club's badge was abandoned after the club was criticized fiercely by fans.

Bristol City currently play at Ashton Gate stadium in the Ashton/Bedminster area of the city of Bristol, which has an all-seater capacity of 21,497.

Club Honours

The Football League runners-up: 1906–07

FA Cup finalists: 1909

Welsh Cup winners: 1934

Second Division champions: 1905–06

Third Division South champions: 1922–23, 1926–27, 1954–55

Football League One runners-up: 2006–07

Football League Trophy winners: 1985–86, 2002–03

Anglo-Scottish Cup winners: 1977-78

Squad

No. Position Player

1 GK Adriano Basso

2 DF Bradley Orr

3 DF Jamie McAllister

4 DF Liam Fontaine

5 DF Jamie McCombe

6 DF Louis Carey (captain)

7 MF Scott Murray

8 MF David Noble

9 FW Steve Brooker

10 FW Nicky Maynard

11 MF Michael McIndoe

14 MF Cole Skuse

15 FW Dele Adebola

16 DF Andy Webster (on loan from Rangers)

17 MF Ivan Sproule

18 MF Brian Wilson

19 MF Jennison Myrie-Williams

20 MF Gavin Williams

21 MF Frankie Artus

22 GK Chris Weale

23 FW Lee Trundle

24 DF Christian Ribeiro

25 MF Marvin Elliott

26 DF James Wilson

27 DF Jordan Walker

28 FW John Akinde

30 FW Tristan Plummer

32 GK Stephen Henderson

33 MF Lee Johnson

Squad Review

Goalkeepers:

Basso is a good enough goalkeeper for this level, Weale is a decent understudy but i would advise trying to bring in a good young goalkeeper.

Defenders:

The defenders are good enough for this level but i feel a new left back would be beneficial aswell as cover for right back but thus isn't a major problem.

Midfielders:

Definately needs improving with a right winger and creative midfielder a must if pushing on for promotion. There's also no real cover for Mcindoe so a young left midfielder could be bought.

Strikers:

Trundle and Adebola are getting on abit and will need replacing in the long term but can do a job for a season or two. Maynard looks ok for this level but signing a new striker is a must.

Players to sell: Sproule - nowere near good enough for this standard of football. Cashing in on Noble or Johnson would free up some money and wages to bring in a real quality midfielder.

Budget

At the start there is 1.36 million available for transfers which is the most i could get, with 5.53k left in wages.

If you are looking for a side with the potential to take up in the first season or two with a decent transfer budget, this is the team for you. Good luck and keep posting:thup:

I'm a Hull fan and after i watched you at Wembley (btw the atmosphere was great) i wanted too play a game with Bristol City on FM! I wish you hadn't sold Carle because he looked like a nice little player when i saw him at Wembley! Sproule was VERY fast and Mcindoe looked very dangerous when he got the ball!

Just Entering into October and sitting in 13th place but only 2 points seperate me from the play off spots.

citytransferset8.png

Solid enough start but am struggling with tactics but have just changed it and won the first game 2-0 away at Sheffield Wednesday so looking more promising.

I've been waiting for someone to start a city thread. So far I am in the 2010/11 season around November and currently sit 3rd in the prem after having 70million ( 40mill from the board and 30mill from Man City(!)) to spend close season. Have bought loads of Brazilians and Foreign players (Allessandro, Marquiniho, Bellied, Radoi, Ochoa, Defour).

First season used ame (?) tactic found in these forums. Finished in the play offs and won. I did edit some of the youth team players (Ribeiro, Artus and Wilson) before I started, I have watched the reserves and youth teams in real life for the last 2 years and these players really stand out so I thought I would replicate that in the game after being slightly disappointed with their CA's.

Second season created my own 4-1-2-2-1 formation and finished 8th. Signed Zaki, and a Romanian (Nicolaue) for cheap and they scored about 20 between them in the loan role up front. Signing Bellied and Radoi for 8mill each were probably the best signings.

Third season I am using moj's 'Role theory tactic' found in the Tactics forum and have adated it to suit my team and it is working wonders. Really getting into the game now. If you want any screenies just ask and I'll try and sort them out when I get home from work.

All the Best. Up the Ciderheads!

I am playing a clan game with bristol city, finished 2nd in my 1st season. Anyone got any tips on trying to keep City up in the prem?

Not there with City but when i've taken teams up before: Make sure you have a goalscorer who will get you aroun 12-15 goals, a solid centre back pairing and midfield. This would take up most of the money left then look around for other weak positions. Looking through Prem reserve sides for transfer listed players and look to use the loan market the best you can to bring in some quality young players. :thup:

Whats your thoughts on my team that got me promoted:

Gk Basso

DR Orr

DL Mcalister

DC Tordoya

DC Carey

MR Ljungberg / Yildrim

ML Mcindoe

MC/DMElliot

MC/AMC Borges

FC Tenorio

FC .......

Reseves

Hakola, Fernandez (GK), Ribero, Binya, Botero, Maynard, Puoso,

Basso will need replacing aswell with a better first choice keeper. Orr could do a job i imagine but maybe bringing in another if you have the money. Definately look at bringing in a new left back as Mcalister isn't premier league quality. A centre half is needed as Carey won't be good enough. I don't know enough about Yildrim to comment. Mcindoe is good enough as is elliott and Borges. Don't know anything about Tenorio so can't help there. In general you will need more strength in depth so bringing in loan players especially Arsenal :thup:

Right after my awful first attempt were i bought poorly and couldn't find a tactic that could get me any sort of run of results.

I decided to start over and here are my transfers:

citytransferswc0.png

Sitting nicely in 5th position aswell a massive 10 points behind 2nd place. Only 3 points seperate me from 10th position so the league is very tight bar the top two who are running away with the league.

Another red here, and I'm buggered if I'm playing city again. four attempts, four sackings :( all times really looked like i was getting a good basis for a side, hogan ephraim on the wing (1 mill from QPR) was looking great, shola ameobi on a free in second season was decent, and chris mccann (1 mill burnley) forming a good midfield partnership with elliot. alas, never was enough, best finish I got was 7th, still trying to work out a decent tactic. for the time being the cider is on ice while i recover my pride at summun like Man City.

CTID

End Of season: I managed to finish in 4th position in the league and met Derby in the play offs.

First Leg: I performed brilliantly and won 4-3.

playoffswt0.png

Second Leg: Finished 0-0 to send me through to face Ipswich in the final.

playofffinalpv6.png

Entering into August now and still trying to strengthen the squad because of the lack of quality in depth. I was only given 8 mil to spend which made me do some wheeling and dealing. Still hoping to exploit the loan market with some quality.

Will post screen shots of transfers when i've finished :thup:

big city fan here. any of you chaps at the gate today? i lold on hearing mcindoe and carle had a fight by the palace coaches. anyway...

naturally i started a city game as soon as the game was installed and it went pretty well. in my first season i finished in the playoffs and managed to scrape a win which was lovely. thankfully you get given a decent wad of cash when you get promoted and i sold more or less virtually my entire squad which freed up a pretty silly amount of money. i spent the vast majority of it of brazilian wonderkids (does anyone else think that the RIDICULOUS number of awesome south american kids / regens ruins the game a little?) and managed to finish about 12th in my first premiership season which i was pleased with. in my second season in the prem i was pretty ambitious with my goals which gave me more cash for transfers and wages which i proceeded to buy more incredible young players for relatively cheap. the weakest part of my team at this point was probably tomas kusczak from inter. with marquinhos, leo, and a hilariously perfect regen called Silva in the team i managed to win the fa cup and uefa cup and finished a respectable 8th in the premiership (does anyone know how the s**ting crikey i even got drawn for the uefa cup? i thought perhaps it was down to only getting one red card but it didn't actually say, just said that i'd been drawn for the 100th qualifying round etc). in my 4th season i wasn't as good and decided to take the chelsea job around january when it was offered to me. it was pretty boring and i ended up quitting the game.

The most interesting thing that came from the game was probably that when i went to chelsea keith millen took over and had a 'world class' reputation. haha!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in my third season at City. Mid-table premiership which i'm happy with. Need to get a new centreback at least but have no money after splashing £13m on Walter. Still, let me know what you think of my team and if you need any tips on getting City up just ask!

You reds!

cityml3.jpg

city1jk9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

(armchair) City fan here and just about to fire up a long term game with them however I have a few questions regarding the team. After City splashed out 2.25m on Manard surely irl he is much better than what the game currently has him at? I was thinking about perhaps increasing his CA and possibly his PA a bit more. If I were to do this what do you think his CA should be and what are his qualities as a player?

Also it was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread that Ribeiro, Artus and Wilson are all much better than what the game currently has them at and so perhaps should I look to increase their CA and if so any recommendations?

Tactics:

What formation/shape did you guys opt for with them? I am thinking along the lines of a balanced 442 using width as I would like to play a 451 Attacking style but I think that Trundle alone up front will not be enough to get a decent amount of goals. What do you guys think?

Would be great to get some feedback on this.

Transfers:

My aim at this moment in time will be to look to bring in some quality loan signings both young and experienced and start to invest in youth players and naturally progress them.

I think the following areas need strengthening are as follows:

LB, MC/AMC, ST, RW

I am not 100% on this but I think I will be looking to get rid of the following players to bring in some cash and help reduce the wage bill:

Adebola, Johnson, Noble, Brooker and Murray possibly Sproule depending whether or not I can find a decent replacement or not although I think too many changes could have a detramental effect on the side.

Will post back once I have started etc but would love to hear some feedback from some of you guys.

Maynard,Wilson and Riberio are underated imo i don't know what their CA or PAs are but i know they are a bit low. Not too sure about Artues though. Upto you on formation really depends who you sign but at the start 4-4-2 is the best option. Trundle plays well with someone up front not very well on his own from my experiences. :thup:

Well I managed to start last night (will post a more in depth write up later) and I adjusted the following players CA's and PA's:

Maynard CA >22, PA >8

Ribero CA >10

Plummer CA >13

Artus CA >10

(Edited the stats as was not thinking at the time, but of course some of you will not want to know the actual CA and PA of players and by me putting them in may ruin things for you so I have edited them out.)

What wth Rickie Lamberts CA being fairly higher than Maynards I felt it reasonably acceptable to have Maynard to be slightly better than Lambert. Comments welcomed as I hope I havent given myself an unfair advantage.

I tried to get Insua on loan but he opted for Southampton instead and also failed with attempts for Sturridge, Chad Evans and Chopra but I have managed to sign a striker on loan from SUnderland (Irish guy, can't think of his name) and I also signed Borges MC/AMC for 300k. Have recruited Gibson (Man Utd MC) on loan for the season.

I'm thinking about hauling Fowler in as he is a real poacher and would surely bag 12-15 goals this season although his low pace and acc is putting me off. Anyone had him and if so how did he do?

I opted for a 442 and at the moment it's working well with Trundle and Maynard banging the goals in albeit vs low opposition.

I'd agree with selling off Adebola, Noble, Brooker and Murray. Couldn't shift Adebola though, Brooker goes for £200k. Murray for the same. You can over £500k for Noble. I got rid of Wilson too. Johnson is ok, if you can get a fairly big offer I'd probably take it though. Sproule was excellent for me, his pace leaves defences for dead and he plays better that his stats suggest. Same for McIndoe on the left. Carey is quality despite the lack of pace and could do with a quick partner at centre back. Elliot is brilliant in midfield. Some of the players that it might be worth your time looking at : Tordoya, Robert Lewandowski, Cowie, Mascio, Connolly from Sunderland - I guess that's who you bought?, Chris McCann, Michael Morton and Pablo Herrera but obviously it's up to you.

Haven't messed with the editor but can understand why you have, some of the City players have definitely been hard done by. Maynard needed improving.

Staff wise I got in Martin Wilkinson, Tony Whelan, Paul Haversham, Inaki Bergara and a fitness coach. Muxworthy went.

Anyway best of luck, keep us updated.

edit - had Fowler at Blackburn, he was in the reserves and didn't set the reserves league alight. I'm a Liverpool fan too and I hate to admit it but I don't think God would benefit City. He's also very slow and you already have Trundle.

Another City Fan here,

Haven't been able to find a thread for ages. Normally City are easy to manage, but this year struggle with just a million to start with and no room for wages!

Maynard is rubbish on it as is Sproule. The youngsters are no where near there real life quality. Hopefully the new patch at the end of Feb with all the Jan updates will help.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone absolutely not a Bristol City fan here. Was playing and game crashed so reinstalled and looking for new challenge. I am no pro no nothing just thought I'd give BCity a go, looks good.

Wish me luck, see everyone around@

Cheers,

ReeNah

Hi all how are we?

Well I am shattered, and here is my story guys...

I started off really bad, lost 3, drew 3 and won 1... Anyways was bad, news that I had a bad start was out. However I picked things up and started winning games. Basically at the end of the season I was 4th. I was very happy with the team and considering that my team couldnt score but won games on the back of our defense, we only conceded like 30 goals and only scored like 40 I think. Anyways 4th was good considering my start.

Well first play off, against Southhampton. I lost 1-0 away, but eh I had hope. Next game I score two early goals and I was flying. However after about 60mins Wright Phillips (who already scored like 2 on me during the season) scored one and I thought I'd lost because of home and away. To my surprise its not about home and away! WOOHOO!!! Anyways we scored twice in extra to win.

Alright, final playoff against Burnley. We smashing them, hit the cross by like 3 times, they have no possession, however we cant score. 80 mins, still 0-0. Then someone (forgot who probably right winger) does an early cross, noone close to the ball but flies right over my keeper straight into goal. Kill me now, and as I mentioned before, my team cant score right so I lost... Kill me now...

Anyways was devastated. Not a biggie I guess, definately get promoted next season, I hope.

Signings:

Freddy Eastwood

Some Argentinian winger, young (Trxoazd?)

Another Argentinian DMC (Zullicus?)

Coppinger

Damian Johnson

Sorry cant remember names...

(Dont really remember, at work)

Sold:

Many...

Got about 3m left, need a scorer bad.

Anyways, wish me luck!

Cheers,

ReeNah

Alrite I'm the only poster!

Anyways at work again.

Pretty much I got Viduka and Sol Cambell on free transfers so pretty happy. Only played one league match and both Viduka and Freddy the Eastwood scored on debut, won 3-2 aganist I dont remember. Anyways pretty happy I am huge Viduka fan hopefully he'll be the scorer that I needed.

So hows everyone else going?

Cheers,

ReeNah

Hello everyone,

Before I begin I would like to say this is my last post in this thread forever.

I have given up all hope in this team. Jeez the highs were high but the lows are just terrible...

Well I started the season on fire, Eastwood and Viduku were scoring freely, Freddy scoring in every game during the friendlies and in his first 5 or 6 games in the CCC. Was on fire coming first with 3 straight wins, was on top of the world I was. Thought I had this in the bag... Then the injuries struck, none of them were season long, some only 1 or 2 weeks but:

Viduka

Eastwood

Cambell

Carey

Elliot

everyone went down... From then on my season hit a downward spiral I couldnt recover from. I dont think I won a game for like 10 games straight and were getting some draws but I slid down to around 18th by mid season. I decided if I didnt get promoted this year I'll quit this team. Then we lost like 3-0, 4-2 and I had Hull up next (who are coming fist by a mile) so I have just decided to throw in the towel... Oh the misery, it could have been oh so different if I had not lost that final to whoever it was by concededing the worst goal ever scored...

Oh well, start afresh, I think I'm gonna go for a Newcastle start, and they forum is swamped to!

Anyway I have enjoyed my time here, thank you all for listening.

Have a great day and hope everything works out for all you guys in FM and in RL!

Cheers,

ReeNah

• 2 months later...

if that argie DMC is Zuculini, he turns into a leading prem player so good move.

just started a game and will keep you posted on what i do. atm i'm looking at free transfers which include ian harte and thomas gravesen

(trying to kick-star this forum again)

have made a few signings (3 loans and 1 free) as i have disabled budgets for first season. i have signed Charlie Adams from rangers who looks really good as well as insua from liverpool. liverpool (my parent club) also sent me San Jose, a young CB who could be used as back-up.

my only permanent signing, after taking a number of players on trial, was a South African called Lance Davids. he has a few caps and provides cover down right wing.

he is looks good physically and can cross well. fans were delighted at bargain buy!!

• 3 months later...

Archived