do new rivarls form over the years with clubs?

In my Eastleigh save in 08 I got new rivals as I made my way to the premier league.

Are you sure?

During FM 08 days, I think SI even mentioned themselves that sadly this has not been introduced to the game yet.

I don't know about this new version though. Hopefully it's in but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong because in real life, these things do change in amounts of degree at least over the long-term.

I remember in 08 we had a rivalry against Lazio that started after we met in the Copa Italia and UEFA Cup a couple of times. I basically talked as much sh** as possible to see what would happen and we became bitter rivals.

My understanding is that although new teams do not appear in your "rivals" screen, you can become rivals with them: shown when transfer bids are rejected because of the rivalry which has developed thanks to fierce competition.

No, that's rivalry with the manager. If you've made enemies with him, he's unlikely to co-operate over any transfer. A rival club is also likely to refuse to sell you an important player, but that's a rival as set in the database at the start of the game.

So, new rivals didn't happen in previous versions, and I'd be surprised if that's changed. However, it is easily done in many in-game editors, and this is one area where I personally feel that using an editor is perfectly reasonable without being 'cheating' (with apologies to Nobby, but this isn't the LLaMa forum!)

arch rivals are normally based upon your local neighbours

Certainly that's not the case with Liverpool/Man Utd/Arsenal.

Ok, I get it. You said normally.

My understanding is that although new teams do not appear in your "rivals" screen, you can become rivals with them: shown when transfer bids are rejected because of the rivalry which has developed thanks to fierce competition.

I still think it would be cool to see rivalries developed in-game in the list.

For example there was no doubt that my Newcastle side was fierce rivals with Arsenal after we met in the Champions League final 3 times, finished either 1st or 2nd for five years in a row, and meet in the earlier stages (basically before quarterfinals) of domestic cup competitions.

*When I say 1st or 2nd I mean we finished 1st and they finished 2nd or vice versa... just wanted to make that clear.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it there's three different types of rivalry, taking Liverpool as an example:

1) Competitive rivalry. This is brought about purely by competition, without which there would be no reason for either club to give a crap about each other. If the teams were in different divisions or even on different planes of ability this rivalry would probably disappear. e.g. Chelsea.

2) Historical rivalry. This is basically a long-term version of 2). The two have been rivals for many years, even if not necessarily in direct competition, or even the same division. e.g. Man Utd.

3) Local rivalry. This is static and brought about purely by geographical factors, e.g. Everton.

It would be nice (admittedly maybe overkill) to see these different types implemented in the game. For example Liverpool and Everton will always be rivals no matter what. To a similar degree with Man Utd although this *could* change over many decades.

Meanwhile with type 1) rivalries, these should be very dynamic and purely governed by levels of competitiveness. They can then either disappear, or, if sustained over LONG periods of time, become type 2) rivalries.

The way I see it there's three different types of rivalry, taking Liverpool as an example:

1) Competitive rivalry. This is brought about purely by competition, without which there would be no reason for either club to give a crap about each other. If the teams were in different divisions or even on different planes of ability this rivalry would probably disappear. e.g. Chelsea.

2) Historical rivalry. This is basically a long-term version of 2). The two have been rivals for many years, even if not necessarily in direct competition, or even the same division. e.g. Man Utd.

3) Local rivalry. This is static and brought about purely by geographical factors, e.g. Everton.

It would be nice (admittedly maybe overkill) to see these different types implemented in the game. For example Liverpool and Everton will always be rivals no matter what. To a similar degree with Man Utd although this *could* change over many decades.

Meanwhile with type 1) rivalries, these should be very dynamic and purely governed by levels of competitiveness. They can then either disappear, or, if sustained over LONG periods of time, become type 2) rivalries.

very good call... i like it.

Archived