FM 10: Official Hibernian Thread - Splitting the Old Firm?

MeekoHFC

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL HIBERNIAN FM10 THREAD

HibernianFC_crest.png

THE CLUB

Hibernian Football Club are a Scottish professional football club based in Leith, in the north of Edinburgh. They play their home games at Easter Road Stadium.

THE HISTORY

Hibs (as they are sometimes know as), were formed in 1875 by Irish-born football enthusiasts who named the club 'Hibernians Football Club' which means 'Irish Football Club'. Mismanagement over the next few years led to the demise of Hibernians, who became homeless and ceased operating during 1891. A reformed club called Hibernian was established and they acquired a lease on a site in late 1892 that was to become known as Easter Road. Hibernian have won the Scottish League 4 times. The Scottish Cup 2 times (the last being in 1902) and The Scottish League Cup 3 times. Hibernian were also the first British team to compete in an European competition.

Under the guidance of fans favourite Mixu Paatelainen last season proved to be a frustrating season for the Hibees finishing in 6th place whilst rivals Hearts finished in 3rd. Fans did not take well to Mixu's style of football as the Hibs are known for playing a passing game. Mixu brought in some rubbish players and has left new boss John Hughes with alot to think about. Although Hughes so far has brought in quality players and spent his money wisely, can you guide them to split the Old Firm? Or even go one further?

CLUB INFORMATION

Club Name: Hibernian Football Club

Club Nick-names: The Hibees, The Cabbage, Hibs

Year Founded: 1875

Legends: Pat Stanton, Gordon Smith, Eddie Turnbull, Lawrie Reilly, Franck Sauzee

Icons: Tony Mowbray, Keith Wright, Jimmy O'Rouke, John Blackley, Willie Ormond, Bobby Johnstone, Alex Cropley

Favoured Personnel: None

Fierce Rivals: Hearts

Other Rivals: Aberdeen

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: £20

Average Season Ticket Price: £290

Season Ticket Holders: 9500

Estimated Value: £17.75 million (Loan Debt £4.3million)

Continental Qualification: None

Media Prediction: 6th

Squad Personality: Ambitious

Transfer Budget: £220k

Wage Budget: 37K per week

CLUB FACILITIES

Hibernian--Easter-Road-general-PA_1065585.jpg

Stadium Name: Easter Road Stadium

Capacity: 17,400 All-Seater

Year Built: 1893

Owned By: Hibernian

Training Facilities: Good training facilities

Youth Facilities: Good youth facilities + Youth Academy

CLUB KITS

Home (Green) and Away (White)

hibernian_0910-home.jpghibernian_0910-away.jpg

SQUAD ANALYSIS

I think the Hibs squad is capable of finishing third and with a few good signings in the defensive area the team could push for splitting the Old Firm. Hibs have good youths as always so try and look to nuture them into good players.

Club Captain - Chris Hogg

Vice Captain - Ian Murray

Star Players - Derek Riordan, Merouane Zemmama, Ian Murray

SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS

Graham Stack - I would look to keep Stack as he does look SPL material but has a high Eccentricity stat which may prove costly, could be a good back-up.

Yves Makubu Makalambay - Similar to Stack, Makalambay has a high eccentricity stat which may prove costly, although Makalambay is still only 22 and has time to improve, so possibly send him on loan.

Star Man: None

Youth Prospects: None

Recommendation: A good goalkeeper is needed if Hibs are to raise any challenge to the Old Firm. Good goalkeepers don't come cheap though so you should look to offload some of the deadwood to raise funds.

FULL BACKS

Kevin McCann - Out for 5 weeks although is only 21 and a decent prospect, there are not many right backs at the club so I would hold onto him unless you can find someone.

Ian Murray - Versatile player who can play in any part of the defence, or in a defensive midfield role. Use him wisely as his Work Rate and Team Work stats could be vital.

Paul Hanlon - 19 year old Hanlon can also play in central defence aswell as left back. Paul has good potential so I would use him as my first choice left back.

Lewis Stevenson - Lewis can also play in central midfield or on left midfield, best kept as backup.

Sean Welsh - A player just promoted from the U19 side, send out on loan and find a free transfer to replace his place.

Callum Booth - Another player just promoted from the U19 side, as you already have enough cover for left back I would send him out on loan.

Star man: Ian Murray

Youth Prospects: Paul Hanlon

Recommendation: If you can, buy a right back and use McCann as back-up. Send Welsh and Booth out on loan.

CENTRE BACKS

Chris Hogg - Hogg is a pretty solid centre back but is not that great in the air and is a very brave and determined player.

Soleymane Bamba - Bamba can also play in defensive midfield and has great physical stats. He is a strong centre half who will win the majority of his headers, one of the first names on the team sheet.

Darren McCormack - 20 year old McCormack has some really promising attributes so I would look to keep a hold of him as one for the future, use as backup for Hogg and Bamba.

Steven Thicot - Thicot has some pretty neat attributes although his physical attributes aint the best. Again, keep him for backup.

Star man: None

Youth Prospects: Darren McCormack

Recommendation: You must bring in one centre half, but to do so sell one of Chris Hogg or Sol Bamba first. Or you could sell both, and bring in an experience excellent center half and play him next to young McCormack. Only problem being this would leave you a bit short.

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS

Kevin McBride - McBride in my opinion is under-rated in the game, look to sell him for as much as you can get.

Patrick Cregg - Cregg is a fairly decent defensive midfielder although I would look to sell again or use as back-up.

John Rankin - Rankin is a good defensive midfielder with alot of energy and can hit an awesome shot with his left foot although I would use as back-up.

Recommendation: If you play a formation with a defensive midfielder I would suggest replacing these 2.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

Liam Miller - Miller has some good technical stats and good physical stats and I would look to use him as an experienced player alongside a youngster.

Recommendation: Bring in someone on loan for back-up.

WINGERS

David Wotherspoon - A very hot young prospect for the future, has some really good attributes and I would look to be using him as backup for Zemmama.

Merouane Zemmama - Skillful, strong, and an excellent passer of the ball, Zemmama is one of Hibs star players and should be held onto at every cost.

Daniel Galbraith - Fairly poor starts but is young and one for the future, use as backup for AML.

Star Man: Merouane Zemmama

Youth Prospects: David Wotherspoon

Recommendation: Unless you plan on playing Riordan left wing, I would try and get an AML on loan or on a free as Galbraith is not ready.

STRIKERS

Derek Riordan- Regarded by your assisant as the best player in the team, I would keep Riordan. Riordan can also play AML although his best position is up front.

Anthony Stokes- Stokes who just signed doesn't have the best technical stats although I would keep a hold of him and possibly partner with Riordan.

Colin Nish- If your are looking to play a short passing game Nish just doesn't fit the bill and I would look to sell or use as back-up

Abdesslam Benjelloun- Benjelloun has some good technical stats and is an ideal back up for Riordan and Stokes.

Kurtis Byrne- Byrne is another youngster and might benefit from sending him out on loan.

Star Man: Derek Riordan

Youth Prospects: Kurtis Byrne

Recommendation: Play Riordan and Stokes as your front 2 with Nish and Benjelloun as back-up, send Byrne out on loan.

It will be some task to try and split the Old Firm, but in FM anything is possible! Remember to post your tips, tactics, players or just tell us the story of your Hibernian career!

Good to see someone has started a Hibs thread, well done meeko. Good OP! Haven't really played with Hibs in the demo but will be starting with them when the full game is out. The Hibs research seems to be pretty good this year although I feel Mcbride and wotherspoon are quite under-rated. Also some of the players from the under 19's are missing. Any recommendations for signings or players to move on???

GGTTH!

im on Friday before the seasons starts, even though Hibs dont start until Monday. Great pre-season, no goals conceaded, loads scored. Havn't sold anyone, although all the usual subects are out on loan at my new Feeder Club, Airdrie United.

I have signed 3 free signings of Danny Mills, to cover the right back area, Rudi Skacel for left mid and although I dont think the squad needs another striker I could'nt resist signing Ebi Smolarek like Meeko said.

Unfortunately, Smolarek is now out for 9 to 10 months with a cruciate injury. Danny mills is out for up to 8 weeks with strained knee ligaments and just to top it off the only other decent right back, Kevin McCann is injured AGAIN until a possible come back against Celtic on the 30th.

Doing fantastic so far in my first season as Hibs. At the end of November I have 29 points from 13 games, second place in front of Rangers and behind Celtic. 22 goals scored, 5 conceded. I've sold Thicot, Benji and Nish for 2.1 million USD to Notts County, Peterborough and Middlesborough respectively. Welsh, McCormack and Currie are all out on loan. At the start I only brough in Elliot Omosuzi for right back and Ebi Smolarek for striker. Both have been terrific. Ebi's got 12 goals in 13 league games so far and Omo is doing awesome. Now approaching January, I've got Josh Lambo (GK) and Daniel Sjolund (MC) coming in for 45k and free. Sjolund should solve the problem of who partners Murray in the midfield. I'm using a 4-2-3-1 formation with the following players usually (Depends on who I'm playing)

-----------Stack-----------

Omosuzi-Hogg-Bamba-Hanlon

----------------------------

-------Cregg--Murray-------

Stokes---Zemmama---Riordan

----------Smolarek---------

As far as tactics go its pretty simple, a supporting and defending mid, attacking mid (Zemma), Riordan is playing as an inside forward and Stokes I mix it up depending on the opponents opposite back. Ebi is set to the 'poacher' role. This has been working pretty damn good excepting two 0-1 losses (To Rangers and Dundee Utd).

So yeah, thats about it. I'll give an update at the end of the season.

Had a good start with Hibs, am currently sitting 3rd about a third of the way in.

Zemmana in the hole is brilliant, he is sitting behind either Nish or Riordan for me, although neither are really good enough (i miss Fletcher!)

A new keeper would be a good idea, but otherwise pretty good strength throughout, except maybe centre mid, miller doesnt seem up to it, nor Rankin.

Just finished my first season, came 5th in the league and got beaten by Tic in the Cup Final, I really thought the 107 year wait was over but alas no. Pen & sending off in the first half followed by an O.G. in the 2nd, and going 3-0 down while chasing the game. After Bamba got sent off I went mad with him, fined him etc etc, now I face loosing him but still I can't forgive him for his sending off, and to make this worse he wasn't even the one who game the pen away, he was already booked and got a 2nd yellow for arguing with the ref :mad:

Anyway, update on transfers, I get loads of frees in the first year, Lauren (Ex Arsenal) as RB, Van De Mayde (Ex Everton) for a winger and a couple of others who didn't really feature (Nicola Ventola being one, who's season highlight was scoring 2 in the cup against Ross County, how the mighty have fallen). Didn't see anyone first season but send Wetherspoon & Bryne & a few others out on loan. Start of the 2nd season they gave me 1mil to spend, so sold McCormack for 2.5 along with Clegg & McBride for about 750k leaving me with approx 3.2mil to spend, which I have duly frittered away on 16yr old prospects and a MC for a club record 950k. I now as usual for me in FM have a first 11 and then the rest of the squad made up of youth prospects, just hope none of the first 11 get injured for too long. Played the first 2 qualifying round in the Europa Cup, beat some Lithuanian outfit 3-0 on aggregate, then got Brondby in the next round, but managed a 1-1 draw over there and smashed them 2-0 at the Leith Sansiro. I have Panitanikos (or however it is spelt) in the next round, then I think it's the group stages, fingers crossed for that tie but I'm not hoping for too much to be honest.

My team on the whole line up like this

---------------Stack---------------

Lauren----Bamba-----Hogg-----Hanlon (DR-DC-DC-DL)

---------- Miller Zemmama------ (MC-MC)

Stokes--------------------Van De Mayde (AMR-AML)

-----------Deek--------Benji--------- (FC-FC)

Stack is about to be replaced in Jan when a free transfer keeper who is of much better ability comes in. Bamba has a sulk on due to me fining him so he wants away, Lauren is 35 now so he needs to be replaced, Miller is now out with the new club record signing fitting in there (whos name I can't remember), Stokes doesn't do too much so he'll be getting replaced with Wetherspoon, Van De Mayed is getting on now so he won't last long and Benj doesn't score enough so he needs replacing.

And before I sign off now, the highlight of last season was beating H*arts at Swinecastle 4-3 and seeing Deek hit a hat-trick :D, I can only imagine the glee on his face were that to happen in real life (don't ask me how the other results went against them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Long time since my last update, I'm through 5 seasons now and I've finally managed to split the old firm! Finished 2nd last year and had an assault on the champs league, which didn't last long, getting done over 2 legs by Fenabache, which sees me once again in the group stages of the Europa Cup.

So that's one 4th place finish, and 3 3rd place finished followed by a 2nd, let's hope I can bring the title back to Easter Road this year. The team is almost completly unrecognisable from the starting team, Hanlon is still my first choice left back and Stevenson plays most of the games in the middle of the park and Deek now languishes on the bench looking forward to a career in management once his playing days are through. Other than that there is nobody in the squad who was there from the start. My policy of bringing in up and comming youth seems to be paying dividents but as they start to mature, they are looking to move to bigger clubs. Still I will fight the good fight and make Hibs a force to be reckoned with in Europe as well as at home.

Oh and I forgot to say I have had the ground increased to 22650 capacity now and the board have plans in place to increase it again!

GGTTH:D

• 1 month later...

Well that's me finally won the league in 2015 / 2016. Finally broken Celtics strange hold on the title. So it's off to the Champions League for me again next season.

The only two players still at the club from the start are Paul Hanlon (who is due to join Fulham on a free in the close season) and Lewis Stevenson who rarely plays now, next year will probably see him leave the club and none of the old guard will remain.

The ground is now 25,000 but the council won't the board extend it further, so I need to stick with that and save up for a new stadium, which won't come quickly.

Is anyone else still playing as Hibs?

I've just started a game as hibs.. I'm a celtic fan though but got sick of winning the league all the time so decided to give it a bash with the other green and whites. trying to build a great young team over the next few years. first season just past jan and i'm 2nd and 1 point clear of rangers. but been a bit iffy at times. especially with bamba going off to the african nations!

• 3 weeks later...

My Transfers:-First Season:

In:

Elliot Omozusi (Free)

Glauber(Free)

Hamed Namouchi (Free)

Scott Robertson (Player-Exchange with Rankin)

Kamil Contofalsky (Free)

Out:

John Rankin(Player-Exchange With Robertson)

Steven Thicot-Lille-£300k

Makalamby-Standard-£60k

Nish-Coventry-£1M

My Usual Line Up:4-5-1

Contofalsky

Omozusi Hogg Bamba Murray

Robertson Miller Zemamma

Namouchi Riordan

Stokes

Bench:

Stack

Glauber

Stevenson or Cregg

Hanlon

Wotherspoon

Benji

Byrne

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a game on 10.3 with the Scottish pyramid file.

So far the ins and outs are...

OUT

C.Hogg - Ipswitch - £1m

D.Wotherspoon - Man City - £3.6m

IN

C.Vieri - Free - Back up striker

E.Davids - Free - Starting MC.

Lauren - Free - Starting DR.

A. Van Der Meyde - Free - Starting ML/R

I. Helguera - Free - Back up DC

M.Viduka - Free - Back up FC

Dady - Osasuna - Loan Fee £275k - Quick and good finishing Striker.

W.Gomaa - Al-Ahly - £425k - Top drawer DC although at 33 is getting old.

I just won the league and cup double with Hibs in my first season on 10.3. It was an epic comeback as I was 6 points behind with 5 games to go, and then going into the last match of the season, I was 3 points behind Rangers, but with a much better goal difference. I was away to Hearts, they were away to Motherwell...I won 1-0 and they lost 1-0, clinching me the title on the last day! I was delighted lol.

I sold pretty much my whole squad bar about 3 or 4 players before I started for a total of around £11m in straight cash sales, then spent around £26m on 48 month deals. Still managed to finish the season on a healthy bank balance of around £6.7m after the League Prize money etc. It payed off as I have an automatic place in the Champions League now next season. This is how I did it:

j8lcsg.jpg

My first 11 was (442)

GK- Smithies

RB- Yakubu

LB- Ball

CB- Toloi

CB- Ottesen

RM- Miller

LM- Rodriguez

CM- Trika

CM- Fathi

ST- Kadlec

ST- Meteeb/after January Yannis Tafer

Just got given a budget of £5.5m for the new season and my Champions League campaign, already tied up Ignacio Camacho on a free as well ;-) I'll update as I go. I've already sold most of last season's players for around £22m straight cash, and my bank balance is now nearly £30m, and got around £50m of 48month deals pending again to compete in the Champions League. I'm keeping a strict wage limit of £10k a week absolute max, which no-one is yet on. At least I have the guaranteed £6m Champions League group stage money to come after winning the league. My long-term aim is to win the Champions League with Hibs!

Okay, so 2nd season, I spent £126million on 48month deals, after selling nearly my whole squad again for £36m straight cash. It was a risk, but the Champions League money helped cover it. I won the domestic treble, finishing 23 points clear of Celtic in 2nd in the league. Champions League I got to the First Knockout Round where I lost to Roma 5-2 on aggregate, but I did a great job just getting through the group stage with such an unblended squad.

Just finished my third season now, didn't spent that much this year, just £42million on 48month deals while recouping £23m in straight cash sales. My total spend now in 3 years is £198m, and i've taken in £69m in straight cash sales. So a net spend of £130m. I'm paying about £4m a month in transfer payments, but the Champions League money is keeping me just about in the black. I won the Scottish Cup and Champions League (!), beating Man Utd 4-0 in the final, but lost out on a 3rd straight league to Celtic by 4 points. That was the price I paid for resting my first team before and after every European match, but hey, it paid off as I'd rather win the Champions League. Here's my first team squad if anyone's interested:

2v950xx.jpg

I only sign under-21 players unless it's a free transfer, as they're a lot cheaper and no established players will move to Scotland.

My first 11 currently:

Smithies

Jonathan

Toloi

Dalton

Diego Renan

Guiliano

Sandro

Carmona

Rodriguez

Kadlec

Neymar

7 Brazilians in the first 11!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know whats gone wrong, I am doing unbelievably bad, 2 bottom in december first season, I just play a standard 4-4-2 attacking, and have added a couple of decent players to the squad, don't have a clue why I'm doing so bad, will post screen of team in abit.

am a long distance hibs supporter and am enjoying my game with them. am half way through the first season and sitting 3rd. have kept the same side (am not a big believer in selling everyone) sent a lot of the young fellas out on loan (galbraith, welsh, byrne, mccromack). picked up a couple of old heads on frees (lauren & vieri) to add a bit of experience. am playing a fairly standard passing based 442 but have retrained zemmama to play wide on the left and cut inside (kind of like an inside forwards instructions but from the ML spot). going ok - dominate possession against all but the old firm and generally only lose when we squander a range of chances. anyway - my question is what instructions have you guys used to get the best out of riordan. I have tried a range of different setups - he is paired with a big striker (vieri/nish) for me and have tried him as an advanced forward/poacher and as a deep forward/treq. and he is regularly the lowest match rating and hasn't scored all year. i don't want to sell him because he is one of my fav players irl. any ideas?

finished first season, after finishing 7th in a dissapointing league campaign, I managed to win the scottish cup, beat rangers in the quater final and hearts in the semis after going down to ten men after 5 minutes of the game, beat kilmarnock 3-0 in the final and qualified for europe!

finished first season, after finishing 7th in a dissapointing league campaign, I managed to win the scottish cup, beat rangers in the quater final and hearts in the semis after going down to ten men after 5 minutes of the game, beat kilmarnock 3-0 in the final and qualified for europe!

try signing yaser al-qahtani i dunno if thts how u spell it if no go on saudi arabia and he'll be there hes a striker n youll need to pay about 2.5mil 4 him but he will score a bagful i have him on ma stoke game and hes scored 15 goals and some others players who will do a job are

Scott Arfield

Andy Dorman

Prince Buaben

Morgaro Gomis

Yousseff El-Akchaoui

Scott Robertson

Ebi Smolarek

Rudi Skacel

Danny Swanson

just following up on my earlier post with an update on my season - ended up finishing 3rd in my first season - 8 points behind celtic and 15 behind Rangers. Not too bad. Really enjoyed playing as Hibs because their strength is passing the ball around and it gives you the ability to play some really neat football.

i figured out the riordan riddle ok - complete forard-support and he played really well the second half of the season ended up with 14 goals after having 1 at the 20 game mark. zemamma and wotherspoon are awesome in the 'wide player who cuts inside and causes havoc' type role. zemamma was my clear player of the year and even better i managed to lock him up for another 4 years as everyone from cardiff city to athletico madrid were sniffing around him at the january window.

my biggest issue all year was placating the whiners in the squad who think they are better than they actually are - nish, stack, mccann, mcbride all complained pretty much non-stop for the second half of the year about not being first teamers but the fact was all were given opportunities but weren't good enough compared to the alternatives in the squad. I am in the process of off-loading all of them.

Players to surpise were lewis stevenson in the MC role who had a good year and kalambay who was just off the charts and helped the team give away the least amount of goals in the league. Liam miller was excellent in a deep playmaker role too and paul hanlon came along in leaps and bounds in the second half of the year and I recommend persevering with him.

Now the challenge begins I guess because I need to give the squad a little bit of a makeover to prepare for a fight on 2 fronts - europe and splitting the big two. I try to take a realistic approach to the game so I'm not going to ship out the whole squad and bring in the usual suspects that are mentioned in every team thread BUT I desperately need a goal poaching/advanced forward type that can finish the chances that the quick passing game produces. I played stokes and benji there this season and benji is gone cos I couldn't get a work permit for him and stokes ended up scoring only 8 for the season and seemed to squander a hatful of chances every other game. The other spot I need to add depth to is central midfield - would love a box-to-box type so I could make stevenson more of a squad player but obviously players with that level of ability don't come cheap so might have to just work on developing a few of the guys that are waiting in the youth squad.

anyway thats my hibs story so far.

• 2 months later...

Having made several different Hibs saves and losing interest I decided to play with the Editor and try to make it reflect the moment abit more, making Rangers and Hearts start to pay for there debt and several other clubs lower down aswell. Increased Celtics tranfser kitty as there obviously going to be looking for a revamp after Mowbrays disaster and added to Hibs transfer budget.

Created my Hibs game again trying to keep the changes to the squad small but have ended up making alot of changes in the lead up to the season as didn't think there was enough real quality to nail 3rd spot. Sold Rankin, Nish, Murray and Smith. Got rid of Ian Murray because I can never get him to perform for me and the 750k I got was to good to refuse as I usually sell him later on for pennys. Although his press comments about how he hoped to play in the green and white again may make me bring him back to end his career with the Hibs :)

Brought in:

Ross Forbes - Motherwell

Herve Bazile - Guingamp (Really recommend this players, he's 19 and has serious potential atleast for the SPL)

Wilfried Niflore - Litex (Another player I highly recommened, experianced striker that is a big unit and not overly expensive)

Iain Flannigan - Kilmarnock

Cedric Fabien - Stade Brestois 29 (If your looking for a LB/LWB thats better than Murray, for 60k you can't go wrong.)

Seamus Coleman - Everton (Expected him to take over the RB role but Steven Thicot is dominating it so far)

Frank Julienne - Stade Rennais

Siem De Jong - Ajax (Loan)

Decided I wanted to create a formation that got the best from Riordan and Zemmama who are usually hard to get to perform and have still been abit on and off so far. Settled team 8 games into the season is when fit:

Makalambay

Steven Thicot

Chris Hogg

Sol Bamba

Cedrid Fabien

Paddy Cregg / Kevin McBride (Sitting as a CDM)

Liam Miller (Sitting as a CM)

Anthony Stokes

Merouanne Zemmama

Derek Riordan

Wilfried Niflore

Sitting 3rd at the moment and pretty happy with how we've been playing, dominated Celtic but somehow lost 1-0 :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a new Hibs save in 10.3. I couldn't get the team right in 10.1/10.2. Decided to keep things somewhat realistic and not scrap the whole squad, just make changes where necessary. Sold Stack, Maka, Hogg, Ranken and Benji. Bought Oumar Sissoko (GK) from Nantes and Erwin Mulder (GK) from Feyenoord to get in decent goal tending talent. Also purchased Vadim Demidov (DC) from Rosenborg and Arnar Forsund (DC) from HamKam in Norway and Gary Irvine (DR,DM) from St. Johnstone to fortify the defense. Finally, bought Andrea Orlandi (AM RLC) from Swansea as a supersub/backup for the midfield and Andy Jackson from St. Johnstone for the attack (in 10.3 he's on loan and not available to me until June '10). Put Welsh on loan, but may recall him. Am now looking for loans to fill in gaps.

Did well in pre-season, and just won the first game of the SPL vs. Falkirk. I'm playing a Spanish-style 4-2-3-1 w. wingbacks and inside forwards on the wings. My first XI right now is:

Sissoko

Irvine - Forsund - Demidov - Murray

Miller - Bamba

Witherspoon - Riordan - Zemmama

Stokes

I play Stokes as a poacher and Witherspoon/Zemmama as Inside Forwards. Riordan is a Trequartista now, but I'm torn: should I keep him in this role or as another Inside Forward on Support duty? He really is the hub of my team. The real question is how my team is distributed in space - right now I'm sending the wingers into the box to join my poacher, so I don't really want Deeks to jam in there with them, but to remain hovering around the edge to pull strings or take shots. Is this the best role for Riordan? Should I stick him outside - he seems better suited for the middle...Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I have a bit of a career game going at the moment that has brought me to Hibs.

A quick recap of how I got where I am today...

1st Season - Rangers.

Won SPL & Scottish Cup

2nd Season - Rangers

Won SPL & Scottish Cup

3rd Season - Man City

Won EPL

4th Season - Man City

Won EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield

5th Season - Man City

Won World Club Cup then left for Hibs

5th Season - Took over at hibs who were 8th in the SPL. Confidence across the team was shot to pieces and for a while it looked like I couldn't recapture the success I had with Rangers and Man City. Brought in some players I had worked with at Rangers in the January window and managed to turn things around and grab 6th and the last Europa league place.

6th Season - Hibs

I will update this with a lot more detail when I get back but suffice to say with some amazing performances from Michael Eneramo I got out of the Europa league group and won the SPL.

Full update when I'm back on the desktop at home.

-Barry

Archived