FM 10: Official West Ham United

Jamie543

Welcome to the West Ham United Thread for Football Manager 2010

324102.png

History

West Ham United Football Club is an English football club based in Upton Park, London Borough of Newham, East London. They have played their home matches at the Boleyn Ground stadium since 1904.

The club was founded as Thames Ironworks F.C. in 1895 and was later reformed, in 1900 as West Ham United. They initially competed in the Southern League and Western League before joining the full Football League in 1919 and enjoyed their first top flight season in 1923, featuring in the first FA Cup Final to be held at Wembley that year against Bolton Wanderers. The club have won the FA Cup three times: in 1964, 1975 and 1980. They have also been runners-up twice, in 1923 and 2006.

In 1965, they won the European Cup Winners Cup, and in 1999 they won the Intertoto Cup. Their players are considered an important factor behind England's triumph in the 1966 World Cup, as England's captain at the time was West Ham's Bobby Moore, and both goalscorers were West Ham players.

They also won the inaugural Football League War Cup in 1940. The club's best final league position is third place in the 1985–86 (old) First Division.

West Ham currently compete in the Premier League, and finished in 9th position in the 2008–09 season. They have been members of the Premier League for all but three seasons since its creation in 1992, and their highest finish in the Premier League was 5th in 1998–99.

Football Manager Info

Nation - England

Year Founded - 1895

Status - Professional

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Will listen to offers

Legends – Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Trevor Brooking, Bobby Moore, Billy Bonds

Icons – Paolo Di Canio, Julian Dicks, Carlos Tevez, Frank McAvennie, Tony Cottee, Alvin Martin, Rio Ferdinand

Favoured Personnel – None

Fierce Rivals - Millwall, Tottenham, Chelsea

Other Rivals - Arsenal, Man Utd

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - £48

Average Season Ticket Price - £752

Season Ticket Holders - 26000

Estimated Value - £69m (Loan Debt: £71m)

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 9th

Stadium - Upton Park (London, 34980 all seater)

Training Facilities - Good training facilities

Youth Facilities - Excellent youth facilities + Youth Academy

Expections - Top Half, Continental Qualification, Title Challenge Or Winner

Transfer Budget - £0 for Top Half, £0 for Continental Qualification, £0 for Title Challenge, £0 for Winner

Wage Budget - £625k for Top Half, £650k for Continental Qualification, £675k for Title Challenge, £700k for Winner (£601,201 being spent)

Squad

Bold indicates a player is natural in a position

Italic indicates a player is capable of playing in a position

Red indicates a youth player is natural in a position

GK - Robert Green, Peter Kurucz, Marek Stech, Adam Street

DR - Jonathan Spector, Julien Faubert, Daniel Gabbidon, Valon Behrami, James Tomkins

DL - Herita Ilunga, Fabio Daprela, Manuel da Costa, Matthew Upson

DC - Matthew Upson, Daniel Gabbidon, James Tomkins, Manuel da Costa, Calum Davenport, Holmar Eyjolfsson, Jonathan Spector, Herita Ilunga, Radoslav Kovac,

DMC - Scott Parker, Radoslav Kovac, Mark Noble, Nigel Quashie, Holmar Eyjolfsson

MR - Valon Behrami, Julien Faubert, Jack Collison, Kieron Dyer, Mark Noble, Luis Jimenez, Junior Stanislas

ML - Luis Boa Morte, Jack Collison, Kieron Dyer, Valon Behrami

MC - Mark Noble, Scott Parker, Kieron Dyer, Nigel Quashie, Jack Collison, Radoslav Kovac, Luis Jimenez, Junior Stanislas

AMC - Luis Jimenez, Kieron Dyer, Mark Noble, Alsessandro Diamanti

ST - Dean Ashton, Guillhermo Franco, Alsessandro Diamanti, Carlton Cole, Zavon Hines, Frank Nouble

West Ham have no money when you start with them and with little chance of any money in January. You will need to sign a backup goal keeper as the current ones are not up to the job i would sign Henk Timmer. You might also want to sign a spare midfielder and striker on a free but remember to only offer these players 1 year contracts.

Line Up

Robert Green
Herita Ilunga   Matthew Upson   Daniel Gabbidon   Julien Faubert

Jack Collison      Mark Noble       Scott Parker      Valon Behrami

Carlton Cole     Guillhermo Franco

i would rotate the strikers with Alsessandro Diamanti and Dean Ashton (when and if he gets fit) Additionaly i would train Luis Jimenez to play left midfield and i would try and give Junior Stanislas some games to help him develop

Youth

West Ham have a few youth players and former youth players who can turn quite well with the right guidance some players to look out for and give games to are:

James Tomkins

Junior Stanislas

Zavon Hines

Fabio Daprela

Frank Nouble

george moncur

Conclusion

This year looks to be the tougheist for the Hammers with no money and a sale looming over the club how will you do in charge? Good luck to any one taking the challenge come on you IRONS!!!!!

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THe team you start with is decent in some areas, but severely lacking in width/ decent wide players.

Diamanti Cole and Ashton are all reasonable striker.

Parker + Noble or Collison make a decent midfield

ilunga upson tomkins behrami/faubert are a sound defence. behrami is actually a very useful player as he can provide cover in a number of positions.

Green is obviously a good goalie, but no real back up.

I would highly recommend selling Kieron Dyer - he is old, injury prone and a wast of wages.

I would also sell gabbidon, because tomkins is ok and you need cash.

I personally also got rid of Spector, Quashie and Kovac (winter transfer break), + a few reserve and youth team players to try and rustle up as much cash as possible.

some good players (i signed) to look at include.

Sergey krivets - decent on left or right wing - available for ~500k

enyeama - decent cover goalie, with good profit making potential cost ~ 250k

peter masilela decent DL - with good profit maknig potential. m.haifa ~250k

Amr Zaki - cheap quality striker ~1.9mil

Stephen Appiah - decent midfielder available on a free - you will be able to sell for a good profit the following summer.

You need a left winger, Vicente is normally available from Valencia for under 1 mil, and Juan angel albin is available for around 4mil.

I bought Buonanotte for ~ 7mil. Because I had got rid of some wages earners beforehand this was possible with a wage budget adjustment.

Luis Jimenez is a good player, though i never found him very effective in the middle. I retrained him to play right wing, and he was effective in a role where i allowed him considerable freedom to cut inside.

I have just got up to January on the demo here are the results:

I have had a good start after 20 Premier League games im 9th in the league on 30 points with a goal difference of +7 having won 7 games drawing 6 and losing 6 im still in the Carling Cup and the FA cup 3rd round is just starting.

I didnt sell any players at the start of the game nore did i brign any 1 in the demo is almost finshed but it has gave me some insight as to what to expect from the full game

Just finished the demo with west ham, and must say i don't think i have done bad at all considering this is my first go at the demo i stuck with my first set of tactics i made :)

got to 10th after 20 games. Had a poor run towards the end with several key players injured :/ had 8 injuries at one point and quite a few were long term... but still I'm satisfied with 10th. Carlton Cole has been scoring for fun :) will post a few screenshots of my squad and league tables shortly.

On another note only reason I'm playing west ham is because I will be having a network game with a few friends once the full game comes out and we each drew a random team(no big teams allowed), i don't think I've done too bad considering, the others have PSG. Hull City and Doncaster Rovers.

Mon the Hammers!!

Kas

how did you bring in the player you have with no money?

Sold a couple of players and tweaked the wage budget :) got dzagoev and Buonanotte on loan for the season. signed Hamann on a free but that was in December for the Jan transfer window.

if i recall correctly Quashie went for £1m and Spector went for about £2.1m

Has anybody got a takeover yet? I have been running the demo whilst on holiday, both as West Ham manager and as unemployed. Most of the time someone takes over from the current board (but no one on the board could afford a takeover in IRL!) But last night I got an outside takeover at the end of Oct 2010 with great results:

v8ppv5.jpg

qn7dxt.jpg

16 million to upgrade the training facilities seems a bit steep!

2wq4gh1.jpg

And a 15million pound transfer budget which I upped to 16million by reducing the wage budget.

Apologies for the smallness of the screenshots

Note that there is now only a 12 million pound loan.

This owner is not Abramovich but it improves West Ham's position from the start!

Like I say, I have run the game through the 6 months about 6-7 times. Only once do I get a takeover like this.

The rest are internal takeover with no money. On one the same external buyer's name (Geoffrey Robinson) came up but the talks broke down but the WH chairman said he was "still in the background" or words to that effect. So a renewed bid might have happened after the first 6 months.

has anyone managed to get rid of dyer in the demo? no one puts a bid in to buy him :/ best i can get is Sunderland offering 50% wages and 500k upfront and 2.7mil further buy fee for a season loan :/

Transfers In:

Henk Timmer - Free

Emil Gargorov - £475k

Serginho Greene - Free

Transfers Out:

Nigel Quashie - £1M

Competitions

Carling Cup - I have played 2 rounds of the Carling Cup. 2nd round of the Carling Cup i was drawn with MK Dons who i beat 4-0 with Carlton Cole scoring twice with Jack Collison scoring and the final goal came from Julien Faubert.

3rd round of the Carling Cup and im drawn against Swansea who i beat 2-1 with Guillhermo Franco and Jack Collison socring for me and Lee Trundle managed to get 1 back for them

Board Take Over

The board seem to be selling the club to a Consortium who say they will appoint Alan Shearer as manager if the bid gets accepted im hoping they wont replace me. As a result of this the board have now placed a transfer embargo upon the club

Summary

I have managed to play 8 Premier League games on FM10 and im currently 11th its been a tough start to the campaign as i have only managed 2 wins 3 draws and 3 lost. During the 1st transfer window i managed to sell Nigel Quashie for £1m to QPR the board left me with 75% of the sale so i purchased Emil Gargorov for £475k he gives me cover on the left and in the centre of midfield. I also signed Henk Timmer for a backup keeper and Serginho Greene as a backup defender.

not to bad jamie. I had a good pre season , took the lads to thailand for a team bonding session and played 4 friendlys and also played 2 friendlys behind closed doors against my reserves i did not concede at all in pre season. I did not sell anyone i just bought in Timmer and i resigned Cole to a new deal. First game at home in EPL i drew 3-3 with fulham...zamora with 2 late goals :( . Got Man U and Everton next it wont be easy.

I hate how the reserves and under 18s dont play the team i chose even when selected in team settings as i want the young lads such as nouble to get a decent run. Let us know how you get on Jamie....have you been taken over yet?

Im versing man u now..... :(

January Update

Board Take Over

The planned board take over collapsed which has left the club on the market hopefully i will get a new owner sometime after january.

Competitions:

Carling Cup

4th round i was drawn with Newcastle who i beat 2-1 with the goals coming from Jack Collison and Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll getting Newcastles goal

Quarter Finals i was up against Blackburn the game finshed 1-1 with Junior Stanislas scoring and Jason Roberts scoring for Blackburn. I won 4-2 on penaltes.

Premier League

After 21 games im 9th in the league on 27 points 7 wins 6 draws 8 lost

Summary

I very much dought i will be bringing in any new players this season due to not having new owners. My aim for the rest of this season is to try and stay above 9th

Decent start for me :)

I've just signed Christian Vieri and Simon Vukcinic cos i've found the current players are really good. Sold Gabbidon and Spector, got a current budget of £4.5M. I could do with defensive cover - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? :)

Anyways i've made a decent enough start; 1-0 vs Blackburn, 2-2 draw with Liverpool and a 2-2 draw with City. Not bad considering the teams? About to get a new owner, just one of my director so doubt i'll get a money boost.

Guillhermo Franco and Carlton Cole have been my best partnership, Zavon Hines is also impressed.

Be back soon for updates, any advice tho?

Cheers

I've found it hard to sell Dyer, even for 0. However, he did get upset that he was being sold. I took him off the transfer list but he asked to be transfer listed. Still couldn't sell him. Fined him for not turning up to training a couple of times.

I asked for a mutual termination and he only asked for 130,000! He said he was happy to leave.

So **** him off and he leaves for peanuts and frees up about 3million in transfer fees:thup:

I've found it hard to sell Dyer, even for 0. However, he did get upset that he was being sold. I took him off the transfer list but he asked to be transfer listed. Still couldn't sell him. Fined him for not turning up to training a couple of times.

I asked for a mutual termination and he only asked for 130,000! He said he was happy to leave.

So **** him off and he leaves for peanuts and frees up about 3million in transfer fees:thup:

good job ! :thup:

Cheers Jamie, i'll take a look at them ;)

7th after 8 games, not too bad eh? Struggling to find a good partner for Cole. He's scoring just about every game so i'll keep rotating the others.

Listen to this though, 20 mins into the game vs Aston Villa - Upson makes a vicious tackle and gets himself a straight red. But Collison (who's on a yellow card) is not happy! So he races up to the ref and tells him what he thinks, and gets a second bloody yellow! down to 9 men at 1-0 down :(, i was fuming. Never seen anything like it.

Still got a 2-2 draw tho so not too much complaints.. :)

Cheers

End Of Season Update

Board Take Over

The board take over finaly happend wasnt anything that brillant was just an internal promotion from within the new Chairman is called Nicky Ritchie so far he has offerd no money so i dont see how im going to compete.

Competitions

Carling Cup

Semi finals i was up against Middlesbrough 1st leg was played at Upton Park i won 4-1 with Mark noble scorer and Carlton Cole getting a hat trick. David Wheater pulled 1 back for Middlesbrough.

2nd leg at the Riverside i drew 3-3 Carlton Cole Emil Gargorov and Alsessandro Diamanti the goal scorers and for Middlesbrough Josh Walker David Wheater and Leroy Lita. Final score 7-4 on agg

The final i was up against Everton who i beat 3-1 Valon Behrami scored twice and Daniel Gabbidon finshed it off the goalscorers for Everton Van Der Vaart.

FA Cup

3rd round i was drawn against Port Vale i beat them 4-0 Guillhermo Franco scored twice Leigh Mills scored an own goal and Carlton Cole completed it.

4th round up against Crystal Palace final score was 4-2 to West Ham Carlton Cole Valon Behrami Jack Collison and an own goal by Julian Speroni got our goals. Fred Sears ( yes ironic) and Johan Absalonsen got Palaces.

5th round against Derby i beat them 3-1 Guillhermo Franco scored twice and Mark Noble got our goals. Paul Green pulled 1 back for Derby.

6th round against Southampton final score 2-0 to West Ham Dean Ashton and Daniel Gaddidon got the goals.

Semi Finals against Chelsea final score 1-1 West Ham win on penalties

Final against Everton West Ham lost 3-0

Premier League

The season has finshed and i manged to finsh 9th i qualified for Europe due to my Carling Cup win. I finshed on 65 points. Top goal scorer was Carlton Cole finshing on 37 goals ( in all comps) in 50 apps followed by Dean Ashton on 14 goals in 22 apps.

Summary

I am happy with my 1st season in charge of West Ham i am hoping to build on this year im going to try and trim the wages down a tad as im a bit over at the moment. The board for some reason are adding more seats which is going to cost a heafty £7M which im not to happy about.

Sell Spector for 3.8mil (Sunderland) and Stanislas for 5.2mil (Man City, 4.3 up front with clauses), get rid of Quashie.

Bought in Ronaldo from Corinthians for 2 mil over 48 months (the length of his contract) and Van der Vart (loan) from Real for 1.3 up front and future fee of 7 Mill but did this towards the end of the transfer window as every one else seems to have been done spending.

Season 2010/2011 September Update

Season Expectations

I again selected a Top Half Finsh this gave me a transfer budget of £10M and a wage budget of £652,398k. Shortly after the board gave me my budget the ground upgrade was completed its now a 39980 all seater. My season tickets sales finshed at £21,269,710 up by almost £3M from the previous year The board aso increaed my transfer budget by an extra £5M due to financial improvements. So my final Transfer Budget is £15M

Transfers

In:

Luis Jimenez - £3M

Claudio Pitbull - Free

Craig Cathcart - Loan 600k

Martin Petrov - £1.5M

Out:

Luis Boa Morte - Free

Oliver Lee - Loan

Jordan Spence - Loan £525k

Josh Payne - Loan

Fred Sears - Loan

Terry Dixon - Loan

Manuel Da Costa - Loan £375k

and 7 other players where free transferd

hello. just got the game and have to say that this year's west ham is really harder than the previous few. But nonetheless its good fun and enjoying every moment of it.

JULY window

In:

Diego Gavilan, Independiente, 450k

Peter Masilela, Maccabi Haifa, 250k

Jorge Vargas, Free, Free

Bruno Silva, Ajax, 1.1m

Out:

Quashie, Wigan, 575k

Kearns, Coventry, 95k

Dixon, Stanislas, Da costa out on loan.

Now in Jan window, got taken over internally and requested the new board to give me more transfer budget, which they gave me a slightly healthy amount of 4m pounds. Dyer for some reason is currently the best performing player in the premier league (highest average ratings) and Franco is my top scorer.

4-1-3-2

Green

Illunga-Upson-Garay(Jan signing)- Faubert

Parker

Behrami-Dyer-Collison

Ashton-Franco

currently 9th in premiership and league cup semis.

yeah. it was the last wk of the transfer window cos i was sorta waiting for the takeover to push through but when i realised it won't happen so fast i sold as much as i can and at least bought in a few backups. thks for the stanislas tip though, don't know where he will fit in in my system. Hines is turning out great for me.

Archived