FM10: Official Athletic Club Bilbao Thread - The Lions of San Mames

ArranoBeltza

Athletic_c_de_bilbao.png

Overview

Athletic Club, commonly known as Athletic Bilbao in English, is a football club from Bilbao in Biscay, Basque Country, Spain. The club has played in the Primera División of La Liga since its start in 1928. They have won La Liga on eight occasions. In the historical classification of La Liga Athletic Bilbao took 3rd place behind Real Madrid and Barcelona. The club also has a women's team, which has won 4 championships in the Spanish Superliga.

Athletic only signs professional players native to one of the seven Basque provinces: Biscay, Guipúzcoa and Álava, Navarre; and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre in France, although in recent times some players born in Cantabria and La Rioja, close to the Basque Country have played for the team. This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty. On the other hand, Athletic is one of only four professional clubs in Spain, with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Osasuna, which is not a sports corporation, so that ownership of the club lies in its partners.

Stadium

Sanmames.gif

Estadio San Mamés, AKA La Catedral (The Cathedral), is a football stadium in Bilbao, Basque Country. The stadium is the home of Athletic Bilbao, known as "Los leones de San Mamés-Bilboko leoiak" (The lions of San Mamés). They are known as Los leones because their stadium was built near a church called San Mamés (Saint Mammes). Mammes was an early Christian thrown to the lions by the Romans. The lions refused to eat Mammes and he was later made a saint.

Capacity: 39,750

The Squad (Bold= key player)

GK- Armando

GK- Iraizoz

GK- Iago

DC- Aitor Ocio

DC- Fernando Amorebieta

DC- Ustaritz

DC- Xabier Etxeita

DR- Iban Zubiaurre

DR- Andoni Iraola

DL- Xabier Castillo

DL- Koikili

DMC- Iturraspe

MC- Carlos Gurpegi

MC- Pablo Orbaiz

MC- Inaki Munoz

MC- Javi Martinez

MR- David Lopez

ML- Igor Gabilondo

AMC- Francisco Yeste

AMC- Oscar De Marcos

AMC- Joseba Etxeberria

AMR- Markel Susaeta

ST- Inigo Diaz de Cerio

ST- Fernando Llorente

ST- Gaizka Toquero

ST- Ion Velez

My XI (4-4-2)- Player instruction/duties are in brackets

GK (goalkeeper/defend)- Iraizoz

DR (wing back/automatic)- Iraola

DL (wing back/automatic)- Castillo

DC (central defender/defend)- Etxeita

DC (central defender/defend)- Amorebieta

MR (winger/attack)- Susaeta

ML (winger/attack)- De Marcos

MC (ball winning MF/defend)- Orbaiz

MC (box-to-box MF/support)- Martinez

ST (deep lying FW/support)- De Cerio (or Muniain- if I start Muniain, I play him as a poacher)

ST (target man/attack)- Llorente (if Muniain is in the lineup, Llorente plays in support rather than attack)

I use a direct, hard-tackling, counter-attacking style, with Llorente acting as my target man. I think these are the most important attributes when creating Athletic tactics, the rest can be tinkered with.

Key Youngsters

Jonas Ramalho (DR): Doesn't look like he'll be great, but can be a solid first-teamer

Iker Muniain (ST): Best youngster in the team. I brought him immediately to my first team and often use him as a deep-lying striker with Llorente against weak opposition.

Transfers

I tried to sell out Inaki Munoz, as he was surplus to my requirements. I didn't get any buy offers, but loaned him out to Osasuna- the fans and board weren't happy, but whatever. I also received many offers for Armando and, since he is old and in the last year of his contract, I decided to get rid of him. I got $350K for him, which is pretty good.

I have never used Ion Velez and don't ever have him registered- he is not really needed (especially if Muniain is brought to the first team or another striker is bought). I tried to sell him and didn't get any offers, but if you can get rid of him, you shouldn't need him.

In the buy department, it is essential to get a back-up right back, especially because I know I had some injury problems with Iraola, and because I didn't renew Zubiaurre's contract so he got stolen away from me. To fulfill this requirement, I trained Koikili at RB for some extra depth, and purchased Carlos Martinez from Real Sociedad (also have him training at LB for extra cover).

Your coaches suggest to you at the beginning that more cover in midfield is required. I bought Gorka Elustondo from Real Sociedad, but definitely take a look at Ander from Real Zaragoza.

Because I sold Armando, a back-up GK was needed. I found a good looking player in Iker Revilla of Atletico Madrid- he's 16 and according to my scouts is 3 1/2 stars of potential ability, and will become a "good Liga BBVA goalkeeper in the future" and better than Iraizoz (who performs better than his stats suggest for me- keep him). Revilla costs a bit much- I staggered $7.75mil over 30 months to get him (more than what was left of my transfer budget).

If you don't bring Muniain into the first team and (especially if you sell off Ion Velez as well) look for another striker. Aritz Aduriz and Joseba Llorente are good options, but may come a bit expensive.

Bottom Line

It is doubtful that Athletic will do much better than a top-half finish in the league, but with good enough coaching it is definitely possible. The key with this team is patience- regens will come and, with good coaching, Athletic can be restored to their former glory. My suggestions are to hang on to key players as long as it's practical and keep a close eye on youth (at the beginning, this basically consists of Iker Muniain).

This is my first team guide- how's my driving?

Suggested Tactics

My Basque 4-4-2

TG 4-2-4

Fal's 4-2-3-1

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know if in FM10 the whole Basque player issue's been solved? Eg, is it a nationality and can you only sign Basque players? Mind there's Basque people in Spain, France and even certain tiny areas in South America...

Good opening post as well! :D

Do you know if in FM10 the whole Basque player issue's been solved? Eg, is it a nationality and can you only sign Basque players? Mind there's Basque people in Spain, France and even certain tiny areas in South America...

Good opening post as well! :D

What do you mean by "issue"? In previous versions Athletic could only sign Basques (and non-Basque U-19 players). As with previous versions, players have Basque as their second nationality. However, most of the Basque players are from Spain and I have never seen a Basque regen from France or South America in FM09 (they may have existed, but I personally didn't see them).

Well, perhaps it's not really an "issue" but I just meant how it appears to be only Spanish Basque players you can sign. For instance Didier Deschamps was Basque I believe. I believe Bilbao has even had Basque Brazilian players over the years...

I'm not an expert but it would be nice if you occasionally can find at least some French players to sign? :)

Well, perhaps it's not really an "issue" but I just meant how it appears to be only Spanish Basque players you can sign. For instance Didier Deschamps was Basque I believe. I believe Bilbao has even had Basque Brazilian players over the years...

I'm not an expert but it would be nice if you occasionally can find at least some French players to sign? :)

There are some French Basque players- Stefane Ruffier of Monaco is the only example I can think of right off. However, as I said earlier, I have never seen a South American Basque player or a French Basque regen. Also, most of the French Basques that are in the game won't be too great as they mostly come from lower league clubs like Aviron Bayonnais.

I am definetly going to be playing an Athletic save some time in FM10. Does anyone have a scout report of Iker Muniain? Should at least have -9/-10, has looked brilliant so far and is already getting first team football for a top club in a top division. Got the Athletic vs. Gijon match on record, so maybe I will get another look at him then!

I usually play as Bilbao. Currently playing the demo with a 4.1.3.2 formation. After ten games in the league I am sitting 4th. I have played Munian in all my games this season and he currently has 12 goals in 16 games with an average rating of 7.43! Not bad for a 16 year old. Llorente is set as a target man with Munian set as poacher. His stats are not very good but for some reaon he won't stop scoring. Bring it on is what I say!!!!! I also think it would be good if you could sign Ander and have a first choice midfield three of Ander, Martinez and Susaeta but at the moment not been able to sign him. I reckon Bilbao are the best team to go, especially with the new stadium featured in this game! Can't wait til the full game is out, I reckon they are so much better than at the start of FM09.

I'm kinda ****ed- I was doing very well and beat Real Madrid 4-2 to fight my way into first place after the second week of November.

Then I removed my external hard drive and got the Blue Screen of Death :(. Oh well, I suppose if I did it once, I can do it again...

By the way, I also changed a couple things in my recommended XI, and added the player roles that I use.

If i recall correctly Bixente Lizarazu was a french basque,as was the old Bilbao manager Luis Fernandez.Correct me if im wrong. :-0

Fernandez was not Basque (he was from Andalusia) and went to France when he was young to play for PSG. Lizarazu is a French-Basque, though.

I just finished the half-season that the demo allows, and have been doing great. I got a better than expected finish in the league, qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League, and my players are performing well (many are over-acheiving). Could do with a few less draws, though!

Here are some screens:

League Table

Results- all competitions and friendlies (pt.1, pt.2, pt.3, pt.4)

Fernando Llorente has been absolute gold for me, here's a screen of his stats.

Muniain hasn't done great (no league goals) but has been developing nicely. I have de Cerio tutoring him. Here's the screen.

I'm thinking I will continue this game I have going when the full version is out. I know it's with a small database, but since I can only sign Basque players that doesn't matter too much to me anyway.

Pantxi Siriex (Toulouse) also has Basque nationality - I have managed Bilbao and it is a great challenge, particularly when trying to find new players - Sociedad is the obvious team to sign players from - I have managed them too and so I am familiar with their players, but where else is a good source for Basque players?

Only other team I know is Real Union in the lower leagues but don't think they have any decent players...

I've seen Real Union get some pretty good regens in FM09, so we'll see if that continues this year.

where else is a good source for Basque players?

Osasuna has some decent options, Atletico Madrid has a couple, and Zaragoza I think has a couple noteworthy players. Really, though, when playing as Athletic buying players is not very important. I would say you'll probably make no more than 4 signings. The focus that of any Athletic player should be on developing youth and scouting for players to poach from other teams' youth systems.

OP: Not playing Llorente on the left wing :eek:

I haven't played as Athletic since FM07 (I still play that save after 27 days 18 hours) but I won 7 league titles and 3 Champions Leagues so I wouldn't say they cannot be better than a top half team.

I definitely don't think that they cannot be better than top half, but it's definitely a pretty difficult achievement- especially in the first season or two.

What's this about playing Llorente at LW???

Alright guys. Anyone moved into the new stadium yet? Are the finances building as a result? Also what formations are you using? I've trained Martinez into an AM C and he is ripping it up. Really enjoying playing as Bilbao it's a real challenge. I struggled against relegation in my first year but sitting 8th this season after stumbling accross a 442 by luck more than anything else. Llorente and Munain are great upfront and I don't think there is a more promising strike pairing on the game. Can't wait to move into the new ground...

Hi guys, just started a game with Athletic. What tactics are you all using? I can't find anything that is very consistant. Muniain is flying with 6 goals in 9 games so far. Llorente started well but is currently finding it hard to hit the net with 6 goals in 12. I'm 7th in La Liga with 9 points after 5 games, being beat by both Real Madrid and Valencia 1-0. Signed Jon Padilla from Osasuna, 16 years old and stats are pretty impressive, i'm hopeful!

Any tactic advice would be much appreciated! Cheers

Gonna start a game with Bilbao, can anyone give me a list of good basque players?

Ander from Zaragoza is pretty much the only decent one you can buy in the first season. You need to wait til the second season and start searching for Basque regens, usually get about one or two every season that will go on to be good Liga players. Good luck I'm close to finishing 3rd season, sitting 7th, about to move into new stadium. Awesome.

Ander costs way too much atm. They want 12m from me for him and I only have 3m left.

I signed him for £5mill upfront and £5mill over 48 months. The thing is with Bilbao, you have to just buy these players because basically there is no other alternatives. The pool of decent Basques at the start of the game who are prepared to join is very very very small...

Hi guys, just started a game with Athletic. What tactics are you all using? I can't find anything that is very consistant. Muniain is flying with 6 goals in 9 games so far. Llorente started well but is currently finding it hard to hit the net with 6 goals in 12. I'm 7th in La Liga with 9 points after 5 games, being beat by both Real Madrid and Valencia 1-0. Signed Jon Padilla from Osasuna, 16 years old and stats are pretty impressive, i'm hopeful!

Any tactic advice would be much appreciated! Cheers

Check out the tactics I put up in the first post- I used that in the demo and finished 3rd after the demo ended, and I use those tactics in my new full-version game and am sitting in 3rd once again.

When you try and make a bid it tells you that Athletic are not allowed to sign nonBasque players, or at least that's what it used to say.

It's the same way in FM10. I try it every time just to see, never works. Although, Athletic CAN sign non-Basque U-19 players as long as they're Spanish.

It's the same way in FM10. I try it every time just to see, never works. Although, Athletic CAN sign non-Basque U-19 players as long as they're Spanish.

This is quite exciting news! Is that how it happens in real life? Is it because they then develop Basque nationality or is it just a bug in the game? Quick response would be appreciated!!!! If it's just a bug I'm gunna be giving them a miss and just signing Basque regens.

This is quite exciting news! Is that how it happens in real life? Is it because they then develop Basque nationality or is it just a bug in the game? Quick response would be appreciated!!!! If it's just a bug I'm gunna be giving them a miss and just signing Basque regens.

It's not a bug- Athletic's cantera policy also extends to players that learned their football in the Basque country. David Lopez, for example, is from La Rioja, but is eligible to play for Athletic because he went through Osasuna's youth system.

It's not a bug- Athletic's cantera policy also extends to players that learned their football in the Basque country. David Lopez, for example, is from La Rioja, but is eligible to play for Athletic because he went through Osasuna's youth system.

So why can't you sign foreign youngsters then? This is a good thing. I take it they develop Basque as a second nationality? How long til they turn Basque? One year? Two years???? Thanks. Xabi

So why can't you sign foreign youngsters then? This is a good thing. I take it they develop Basque as a second nationality? How long til they turn Basque? One year? Two years???? Thanks. Xabi

I'm not sure why foreign youngsters can't be signed, and I really don't know if non-Basque youngsters bought develop Basque nationality, as this is my first long-term save with Athletic and I'm only in January 2010 right now. I assume they do, though, otherwise there would be problems renewing their contracts.

Anybody played Athletic longer know when/if non-Basque players signed gain Basque nationality? If there's no answer to this I will find out soon enough, hopefully (haven't been able to sign a non-Basque yet).

Former Villarreal left-back, Rodolfo Arraubarrena (Argentinian) has basque roots to name one from South America but there are a few more. There are some French ones as well of course.... Some already mentioned.

And of course Fernando Amorebietta has Venezuelan nationality as well.

Gonna start a game with Bilbao, can anyone give me a list of good basque players?

Xabi Alonso - start saving up

Mikel Arteta - start saving up

Raul Garcia - Javi Martinez is better

Asier Del Horno - possibly best LB

Xabi Prieto - decent AMR

Joseba Llorente - not as good as namesake Fernando

Aritz Auritz - must buy striker, pair with Fernando Llorente

Daniel Aranzubia - best GK

Probably Basque (he has a Basque name) - Cesar Azpiliqueta - young RB, not a priority as Iraola is immense

You can also buy Daniel Aquino and last year could sign Camacho from Atletico and Bojan from Barcelona, although Bojan never signed for me. This is because of the U-19 loophole. Just keep scouting Spanish regens and sign any player who even has decent potential to ensure Basque nationality, which they get as soon as they sign for a Basque club. Even if you sell a player to a non-basque club, they will retain Basque nationality forever, so if you decide to re-sign them later, they are an option.

You can also buy Daniel Aquino and last year could sign Camacho from Atletico and Bojan from Barcelona, although Bojan never signed for me. This is because of the U-19 loophole. Just keep scouting Spanish regens and sign any player who even has decent potential to ensure Basque nationality, which they get as soon as they sign for a Basque club. Even if you sell a player to a non-basque club, they will retain Basque nationality forever, so if you decide to re-sign them later, they are an option.

While I didn't actually expect to sign him, I tried to put in a bid for Bojan just to see if it'd work and it doesn't- maybe this has to do with him being on the senior team, I don't know. Aquino is still available, haven't tried Camacho.

While I didn't actually expect to sign him, I tried to put in a bid for Bojan just to see if it'd work and it doesn't- maybe this has to do with him being on the senior team, I don't know. Aquino is still available, haven't tried Camacho.

This is ridiculous though! This has to be a bug. I mean Bojan...WTF...Bilbao...WTF. Please tell me this is a bug...

Archived