FM09 Official AFC Wimbledon Thread - The REAL Dons.

wimbledon.png

Full name: AFC Wimbledon

Nicknames The Dons, The Wombles

Founded: 2002

Ground: Kingsmeadow

Capacity: 4,700

Captain: Jason Goodliffe

Key Players: Jon Main, Danny Kedwell, Michael Haswell, Luke Garrard, Tom Davis

Transfer Budget: 10k (9.75k p/w Wage) - Top half finish

Media Prediction: 6th (Even though newly promoted)

Fierce Rivals: MK Dons !!!

League: Blue Square South

History:

Isthmian League Premier Division:

Third Place - 2008

Winner - 2005

Club Backgrond:

AFC Wimbledon and its supporters specifically regard the club as a continuation of the former Wimbledon FC, and consider that Milton Keynes Dons are not representative of the legacy and tradition of the club.

Facts:

The club currently hold the all-time English record for the most consecutive unbeaten league games by any senior football club, having achieved 78 league matches in a row without defeat over a period spanning three seasons.

The Kit (Sponsored by SI)

new_kit_2008.jpg

Current first team squad

As of 11 September 2008:

No. Position Player

- GK Andy Little

- GK James Pullen

- DF Michael Haswell

- DF Jason Goodliffe (captain)

- DF Luke Garrard

- DF Ben Judge

- DF Chris Hussey

- DF Michael Peacock

- DF Steve Gilbert

- MF Kennedy Adjei

- MF Sam Hatton

- MF Tom Davis

- MF Jake Leberl

- MF Luke Pigden

- MF Lewis Taylor

- MF Tony Finn

- MF Elliott Godfrey

- FW Dean Mason

- FW Belal Aiteouakrim

- FW Chris Sullivan

- FW Jon Main

- FW Danny Kedwell

- FW Chad Gould

Why Be AFC Wimbledon?

For the challenge of taking a recently formed club up the leagues to glory.

You can leave your mark on a club with growing history.

Tactics

I just play the normal 4-4-2. Its simple but effective for me, obviously i through in a couple of other things such as counter attack etc ;)

My Reccomended Started 11

GK- Little (alrite but new GK needed)

DL- Haswell (Solid defender, key player)

DR- Garrard (great player)

DC- Goodliffe (Good for 1st season)

DC- Judge (Good player but you may find a better DC)

ML- Hatton (Scores lots of wonder goals)

MR- Finn (scores vital goals)

MC- Davis (can control the midfield on a good day)

MC- Adjei (reliable when asked to hit the net)

FC- Kedwell (Lethal with Main)

FC- Main (Best Player IMO)

Tips:

-Arrange friendlies against big teams at your ground, you make good money from it

-You can get good feeder clubs ( I got Arsenal)

-Look out for people who are in Premiership clubs u18s since their contracts run out quick and they usually want to come. Snap them up!

My Reccomended Signings:

Zlatko Yankov - 42 year old bulgaian international (still plays for them) has 79 caps for them, good DC/DM/MC you can get him for free

Scott Brown - Good 23 year old GK for BSS side you can get him from cheltenham for really cheap, they should accept £0

Matty Collins - Good MC worth 12k but if you bid £0 Swansea will accept

Good Luck and Keep Posting On How Your Doing With AFC Wimbledon !!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

As the Blue Square South researcher. AFC Wimbledon are one of the easiest to get promoted out of the division, in terms of a challenge. However a great challenge none the less as they have great potential compared to many other clubs in this division!

what is classed as a senior club?

any pub team?

i'm sure there is a pub team like afc not in wimbledon that has gone longer than 78matches without defeat???

Barnesdon if you dont like afc wimbledon thats fine, but dont use the thread to start a pointless argument between mk dons and afc wimbledon !

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to start with AFC Wimbledon as my first venture in the new game. Only just completed pre-season but have already realised that Danny Kedwell seems like a quality player, he's scored a good few already!

Interested to hear from anyone who has also gone them, and finding out about transfer targets,. tactics etc.

I haven't got FM 09 yet, probs won't till March earliest. Will probs play as AFC or Bromley, or edit Cray into a playable (asap or via promotion from IPL) team. I bet Mainy will be top scorer a lot of the time, he's a class striker who we (Cray) should've had on contract, cos we never profited from that.

PS: Anyone remember the game at Hayes Lane in December 04?

im a Wrexham fan by trade lol, but like to catch your clubs results when i get the chance, so started a game with AFC Wimbledon affiliated with Spurs they sent me David Button, did v well in goal, managed to sign Matty Collins :D anyways long story short i got promoted to BSP via play offs

Now im taking a wages risk by signing the following

Bruno N'Gotty

Lee Canoville

Jamie Young

Scott Donnelly

Matty Crowell

Keiran St Aime

Mike Williams

added with last years Simon Spender, Galuppo, i fancy my chances of taking AFC Wimbledon into League 2 :D

erm THINK it was Jon Main but in jan i bought Galuppo and i had Sanu (i think) on loan from Arsenal, but surprise surprise he still scores when i play him off the bench in the BSP lol, annoying me now because i got a decent side but having a run of bad luck something like

Young, N'Gotty, Spender, Williams, Canoville, Garrard, Donnelly, St Aime, Crowell, Collins, Galuppo

Sean Coburn is a decent right winger he's done well for me. Struggling for centre halfs though the current ones at Wimbledon have no pace at all! Really wish I'd loaded players from other countries though as I can't find these obscure recommendations that people are making.

John Main is leading the league in scoring for me half way through my first season and Kedwell is lead in assists. Got a new Gk and signed matty collins to get another good mc. I also signed two young quick DC's which really helped out. Will say that the left back, Haswell???? has put in some brilliant performances.

John Main is leading the league in scoring for me half way through my first season and Kedwell is lead in assists. Got a new Gk and signed matty collins to get another good mc. I also signed two young quick DC's which really helped out. Will say that the left back, Haswell???? has put in some brilliant performances.

Interesting Jon Main is working for some of you - he's useless for me. The star man is Dean Mason - buckets of goals from this this 18 year old has taken me joint top of BSS after a third of a season. He often plays badly in the first half of the match, but if you put an arm round him and tell him you have faith in him then he plays a blinder in the second half.

I've been struggling to sign players. My scouts don't report on ANY players at all. Any tips on signings would be really helpful (will try to get a feeder club!)

Cheers everyone

Ah... there's nothing like the challenge of taking AFC all the way to the promised land of the Premier League :)

I'm an Arsenal fan but I prefer the challenge of playing as AFC Wimbledon. After requesting a Parent Club from the board, they came back with Arsenal, Spurs or West Ham... so the choice was an obvious one.. :D Arsenal sent me Francis Coquelin on loan straight away and have since sent me Henri Lanzbury too. I've been retraining Chris Hussey as an AML in my 4-5-1 formation and he's playing out of his skin... John Main is doing the job up front as a lone striker.

Ah... there's nothing like the challenge of taking AFC all the way to the promised land of the Premier League :)

I'm an Arsenal fan but I prefer the challenge of playing as AFC Wimbledon. After requesting a Parent Club from the board, they came back with Arsenal, Spurs or West Ham... so the choice was an obvious one.. :D Arsenal sent me Francis Coquelin on loan straight away and have since sent me Henri Lanzbury too. I've been retraining Chris Hussey as an AML in my 4-5-1 formation and he's playing out of his skin... John Main is doing the job up front as a lone striker.

Yes, Hussey is an excellent left winger. I haven't retrained him though, as he is also my back-up left back.

Main up front on his own? Goes against my 4-4-2 principles, and it would mean dropping the excellent Dean Mason, but might give it a try in the FA Trophy....

Got into the league :D

now comes the dear wages lol

ive signed some young guy from Lyon, which shocked me

Dean Beckwith and some guy called Robinson

aint going wages crazy cause i wanna consolodate myself in League 2 for about two seasons and build up some good cup runs, saved about 1.5 mil in 2 seasons after winning setanta shield and fa trophy and 4th round fa cup losses each year

I got Chelsea as my parent club. Very pleased with that. Not tried Hussey at left wing I might try re-training him. Can't really get Mason going either I'm opting for a 4-4-2 with Main and the formidable Danny Kedwell up front who has just scored me a hat-trick and is playing extremely well.

Still struglling for centre half's though. Can anyone recommend me any that are a big quicker than the current ones?

Hi guys. I've started a game as the real Dons, sitting 5th in the table with a game in hand (if I win I'll go up to third). I'm just at the beginning of December now and have a couple of recommendations for people starting as AFC:

1. Buy Wesley Barnard - He's a South African GK who has stats good enough for at least L2 in my opinion, plus he's free, can't argue with that!

2. Get a feeder club fast! - Definitely worth it for the loans. More or less any player in any of the reserve teams from the Championship and up will excel in the Blue Square Leagues. (I got West Ham and got Tony Stokes and Holmar Eyjolfsson)

3. Don't be afraid of going over your wage budget and sign a good scout - I got one called John Richards (he doesn't seem to be a regen) with 17/15 for JPA and JPP. He's found me at least 4 young players who will definitely star in my team in the future.

Flamin' scouts!! I have two - and have had them out searching from the beginning of the season - but neither has brought me back a single name. Anyone else had that problem?

I have just signed up Spurs as my feeder club after about a third of the way into the season (I didn't know about this function until yesterday! Doh!)

Anyway, they offered me a keeper, who decided not to come. Not a big deal as Andy Little is very good for me, and we are top of the table right now.

But can I expect to be offered players quite regularly?

I just bought Magno Viera last night and I have shot up from 12th in the BSS to 4th with the help of his goals. I'm playing him up front with Danny Kedwell though as Jon Main's goals dried up.

Still need a bleeding centrwe half though to play along side the wonderful Patrick Van Aarholt who I have on loan from Chelsea.

Can't beleive Andy Little plays well for you Cantonakeane, I was bottom of the league till I got rid of him! Got a Spanish keeper in called Jose Luis who started to get me clean sheets...

Funny, innit. I've also got Dean Mason playing amazingly, while Jon Main is appalling. Everyone else seems to have experienced the opposite! I don't know how this game works (I know nothing of these things) but I guess it's heartening that people can have such different experiences, because it shows the game isn't one-dimensional.

Anyway, I have just got this Magno fellah on loan, but I see you have brought him. Might be something to consider if he works out.

Off to get myself another parent club now, if I can....

Well I've just noticed after I got 2nd parent team (Fulham) that West Ham are no longer on my affiliated club list. But I never got a news item saying the link was terminated. So I don't know wether it's cos I had 2 parent clubs or what :|

Jon Main is a quality player in real life, far too good for Blue Square South, and that's probably why we couldn't keep him and he left for Tonbridge, then AFC Wimbledon I've always seen that as one of my club's biggest mistakes. The other was letting Leigh Bremner go but he's back now.

hello,

from Turkey,

I am a AFC Wimbledon sympathier from far far a away. And in real life, when i visited London, i visited The Fan`s Stadium, lucliky i was staying in a hotel close to Richmond / Kinstonian.

This sympathy has a long long story :)

And my team in FM09.. of course AFC Wimbledon :) ( also in 2006 , 2007 and 2008 after with a automatic promoting to BSS, i resigned my present club and took control of AFCW) I am in February of first seson and leading to BSS 16 points ahead of Bishop..

John Main is top scorer in league with a 19 hits ;) Also loans from clubs Rhys Murphy, goalkeeper Wilkinson etc.

My parent club is Arsenal and i got 5 very useful players as loan..Thanx gunners ;)

Andy Little is a rabbish and lots of reserve players are really wasting.. I will release the mas free at he end of season.. Luke Garrard (as DR), Husley (as DL/ML), Hasswell (as DL), Davis (MC), Hatton (MC) find places in first 11.. Garrard is vice captain.. and a har-worker of team!

I prefer young players from trial, scouting etc. instead of old players.. Mt tactic is 4-4-2 attacking,quick and closing down football with tight marking of opponent strikers..

Will share more in next days

Good news i am no longer a strulling cash strapped club (no offence to real dons fans, im a wrexham fan so i know wot its like :p) i got promoted back to back and now im in League 1 with a side im confident can consolidate my position in the league for a few seasons, somehow making a profit of 100-300 k a month dunno why lol

Heres my team

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=squadse2.jpg

After struggling to get any reall game going so far on FM09 i have looked upon the AFC Wimbledon thread hoping that i as many of you people have done take this once great side to new found hights.

Any help of signings, tactics, training or anything for that matter even staff recomendations would be helpful

i tend not to bother with training, but i might start doing, cant seem to stick to a tactic, yeah i taken them to new heights but its not easy and its not cheap, going into the red is essential if u wanna take the dons higher, and hopefully u can sign a gem and sell him for millions, erm sign guy called Galuppo big long name lol hell do u good

i tend not to bother with training, but i might start doing, cant seem to stick to a tactic, yeah i taken them to new heights but its not easy and its not cheap, going into the red is essential if u wanna take the dons higher, and hopefully u can sign a gem and sell him for millions, erm sign guy called Galuppo big long name lol hell do u good

This is the training I use - Tug's Training

http://www.freewebs.com/tugstraining/

ive started at AFC wimbledon and took them to the blue square premier now im sort of floating between 8th and 13th

signed charlie sheringham and hes been golden :D andy little is rubbish so signed a kid called lloyd rigby hes been awesome so far, as is haswell and garrard so im on the up!! :)

Good to see a number of people playing as The real dons. January 2009 and im doing well, first in the league, got to the second round of the F.A cup and In the Conference Cup 5th round, FA trophy 2nd round so overall i am doing very well. Top of the league by 13 points, with a goal difference of +29, Not scored an amazing amount at 33 but i have only conceded 4 goals in 20 games:D I have drawn 5 which i am disappointed with and lost 1 but i am 13 points clear and running away with it already! Up the DONS! Going all the way!

Archived