FM09 - Official Sunderland Thread - More Irish Money

AcidBurn

sunderlandop0.png

w225.png

Sunderland Association Football Club is a professional association football team based in

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England, which plays in the Premier League. Sunderland have won

six First Division titles and two FA Cups, seven of which being won before the Second World

War, making them one of the most successful clubs in English football.

Prior to the Second World War, Sunderland were league champions six times: in 1892,

1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and most recently in 1936, when they became the last team wearing

striped shirts to win the league. They were elected into The Football League in 1890,

becoming the first team to join after the league's birth in 1888. Sunderland stayed in

the top flight until 1958, a record which only Arsenal, in 1992, surpassed. The club won

their first FA Cup in 1937 with a 3–1 victory over Preston North End. Sunderland's only

major triumph after the Second World War was the club's second FA Cup victory in 1973,

when the club secured a 1–0 victory over Leeds United thanks to Ian Porterfield goal.

They have a long-standing rivalry with local team Newcastle United, and the Tyne-Wear derby

has been contested since 1898.

The club's home stadium is the Stadium of Light, an all-seater stadium with a capacity of

49,000 into which they moved in 1997 after leaving Roker Park in order to increase ground

attendances. It is commonly likened to Benfica's Estádio da Luz, which translates into

English as "Stadium of Light". The stadium originally held 42,000, but the capacity

increased to 49,000 after redevolopment in 2000. It has hosted two England international

matches, a friendly against Belgium in 1999 and its first competitive match against Turkey

in 2003.

GK Craig Gordon

DR Philip Bardsley

DL George McCartney

MC Teemu Tainio

DC Nyron Nosworthy

MC Dean Whitehead (captain)

AMRLC Steed Malbranque

ST Djibril Cissé (on loan from Olympique Marseille)

AMLC Kieran Richardson

AMRC ST El-Hadji Diouf

MC Liam Miller

GK Darren Ward

AML ST Daryl Murphy

DLC Danny Collins

ST Michael Chopra

ST Kenwyne Jones

AMC Grant Leadbitter

CM Dwight Yorke (vice-captain)

AMLC Andy Reid

DR Pascal Chimbonda

ST David Healy

DC Jean-Yves M'voto

DC Anton Ferdinand

DF Peter Hartley

ST David Connolly

GK Márton Fülöp

DF Michael Liddle

MF Jack Colback

DF Michael Kay

MF Nathan Luscombe

MF Robbie Weir

MF Jamie Chandler

FW Martyn Waghorn

FW David Dowson

MF David Meyler

MF Jordan Henderson

MF Conor Hourihane

FW Rade Prica

GK Nick Colgan

The best lineup in my opinion is

GK - Craig Gordon

DL - George MCCartney

DR - Chimbonda

DC - Anton Ferdinand

DC - Nyron Nosworthy

ML - Richardson

MR - Diouf

MCd - Whitehead

MCa - Malbranque

ST - Kenwyne Jones

ST- Cisse

Looking at the starting lineup I would suggest that a DC is a top priority as Nosworthy is

not really that good someone with a bit of strength and pace such as Gioda or Fazio would

be the perfect partner for Anton Ferdinand. The GK is solid but may get unsettles if you do

not achieve something in the first few seasons. The FBs will need to be replaced in the future

if you are to go for a champions league place. Chimbonda if like real life tends to play his

way out of trouble and could be punished for that at the top level.

Midfield is strong but a real DM is needed as Whitehead although a good player is not that

good at the defending but better than the aging Dwight Yorke. A proper attacking MC might

be needed but Malbranque is pretty strong but I am not sure if he can manage at the top level.

Richardson will hopefully have some better stats than he had in FM08, a little injury prone

but he is a decent player and can take a wicked freekick. Diouf is a great player and should

be good enough for as long as you need him right upto champions league. Kenwyne Jones is a

great target man powerful in the air and a real physical handful for any defender. With Cisse

he has the perfect partner but will you make his move more permanent. On FM08 he could be

bought for £6.5 million while on loan, let his loan run out and he would cost you more than

£15 million. So are you going to make him a Sunderland player sooner or later or not at all.

Potential signings -

Vidal - LB, CB

Stelvio - DM

Kevin Doyle - ST

Stephen Hunt - AML

Samba - DC

Gioda - DC

Tales - AMC

Guilherme - AMC, ST

Luis Jimenez - Loan

Walcott - Loan

Also look for some good youth players to sign up as the U-18s team and reserves have not many if any stars at all maybe Waghorn with the right training could become a half decent player.

There are plenty of other Arsenal reserves and youngsters I will look to loan in the first

couple of seasons, Ramsey, Wilshere, Lansbury and Rhys Murphy spring to mind.

Transfer Budget -

£2 million - Avoid Relegation

£2.5 million - Mid Table

£2.7 million - Top Half

£2.9 million - Continental Qualification

£3.1 million - Title Challenger

£3.3 million - Winner

Wage Budget -

500k - Avoid Relegation

550k - Mid Table

550k - Top Half

550k - Continental Qualification

575k - Title Challenger

575k - Winner

Manager Start Date Leaving Date

Tom Watson August 1888 August 1896

Bob Campbell August 1896 April 1899

Alex Mackie August 1899 June 1905

Bob Kyle August 1905 March 1928

Johnny Cochrane May 1928 March 1939

Bill Murray April 1939 June 1957

Alan Brown June 1957 May 1964

Ian McColl June 1965 February 1968

Alan Brown February 1968 November 1972

Bob Stokoe November 1972 August 1976

Jimmy Adamson December 1976 August 1978

Ken Knighton June 1979 April 1981

Alan Durban June 1981 March 1984

Len Ashurst March 1984 May 1985

Lawrie McMenemy June 1985 April 1987

Denis Smith June 1987 December 1991

Malcolm Crosby December 1991 February 1993

Mick Buxton November 1993 March 1995

Peter Reid March 1995 November 2002

Mick McCarthy March 2003 March 2006

Roy Keane August 2006 July 2008

You July 2008 Unknown

The list of Sunderland managers is not exactly top class and the fans have been let down by

numberous managers in the past and become a yoyo club. Now in Roy Keane they have a passionate

manager that can restore the fans faith and consolidate them as a premier league side. Are

you up to the task of taking his place and making Sunderland a big club. The frame work is

here a brilliant chairman in fans hero Niall Quinn, a big ground to rake in the money.

Sunderland are there to be taken to the next level, dont know about you but I am determined

to become the best manager in the history of my favourite club.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set up a basic direct 4-4-2 and sold Miller for £1 million and Leadbitter for £3 million. Set the lowest expectation of avoid relegation then ask for more money and wages and the board raised them to £6 million transfer and 900k wage budget. Signed Jay DeMerit for £2.5 million, Chygrynskyi for £6 million, Marcelo for £4.4 million, Viana for £1.5 million.

Findng the game pretty hard at the moment beat Colchester only 1-0 in the cup from a Healy penalty in the league cup. In the league first game was a home match against Arsenal which after a fairly poor preseason I wasnt looking forward to at all but Richardson popped up with a stunning freekick to pick up a 1-0 win, we then went on to lose 2-0 to Man City at home to a Arshavin inspiried side.

I have noticed that in the first 3 games Ferdinand is not very good at all so I will e dropping him to the bench and playing Chygrynkyi and DeMerit at the back. This game seems pretty hard and has way too many injuries not really sure if that happens to everyone or if I have had some bad luck.

Injuries occuring at a drastic rate. Cisse, Richardson & Chimbonda out for a month before the start of the season. McCartney is a good LB. He was good for my Hammers side in FM 07. Anton was a great prospect in previous versions but his PA has been tonned down. Good to see Kenweyne Jones with better stats plus Cisse is really a bonus. Need a good CM. Trying to lure Fletcher somehow from United.

And also trying to ship out David Healy. Transfer system is really good. Each of my transfer-listed players is wanted by one or more clubs.

Someone said its possible to get Riquelme for £5 million I wish I had done that now I have Viana at CM with Whitehead, Whitehead has the best average rating for my team so far. Healy is the only striker who can score but I am going to stick Diouf upfront in the next game with Cisse. Just waiting for Kenwyne to come back from injury.

The trouble with demos is it makes you want the full game even more but we got to wait another 2 weeks yet.

Downloaded the FM09 demo, about to play Arsenal first game of the season, signed Demerit for £1.7 million, also signed Pablo Osvaldo on a season long loan from Fiorentina. Sold Murphy to Cardiff for £2.1 million, loaned out Waghorne and Chopra. Accepted Derby's £810K bid for David Connolly and looking forward to first game of the season.

Pre-season results:

Rochdale: W 6-0

Blackpool: L 2-1

Accrington W 3-0

I hope Kenwyne is looking poor dueto his injury. Good opening signings there Acidburn, I think it is quite laughable Chimbonda is rated as the best Sunderland player? How are you guys finding selling some of Sunderland's back up?

I kept the fullbacks for Sunderland but got Chygrynskyi to partner Anton in the centre of defense. Cant get into a game on the demo because of the injuries piling up to often and the fact my game will be over just looking at it trying to figure out who to buy and sell for when the full game is out.

Not sure how Chimbonda is rated as Sunderlands best player on my game the ass man said it was Diouf.

Just waiting for the missus to get back with the game so I can get started she has gone to get it while I was being tortured at the dentist. Should be back in 30 mins cant wait, will post an update soon in the hope of getting this thread going. It annoys me more people play as Newcastle than Sunderland seems strange to me.

There was issues, but once you have the game activated, there are no issues now, seeing as its been patched as well :D.

I would try and buy it now.

Signed quite a few midfielders for Sunderland so far, even Rivaldo, he should last another season, his attributes are amazing. :D

I started with the Lads with the new patch. So far I've made four signings, but I'm hoping for another central midfielder:

- Leonardo (1.2mil): Brazillian left winger from Ajax, his stats are in the right places for a winger and was cheap.

- Mirel Radoi (2.7mil): Not as good as he was in the demo, but he'll still walk into any mid-table Premier League team.

- Jelle Van Damme (4.6mil): Left back from Anderlecht to compete with George McCartney. He looks about on par with George, but he's better in the air.

- Haris Vuckic (1.5mil): Good Slovenian prospect at 15, scouts think he'll be a leading star some day.

Total: 10mil, which I think is decent business. Hopefully I'll have Emerson from Milan on loan before my first game against WBA to act as an anchor man.

Pre-season went pretty well, looked a little shaky against QPR in the first half so I switched to a standard 4-2-2 which did the business.

- QPR 1 - 2 Sunderland

- Ross County 0 - 2 Sunderland

- Northampton Town 1 - 3 Sunderland

- Stockport County 1 - 2 Sunderland

- Wrexham 0 - 2 Sunderland

Just started my game played 2 friendlies so far. Here is a screenshot of my transfers.

sunderlandtransfersvv5.jpg

w1024.png

Trying to get some more loanees in I felt we were desperate for a CB so I splashed out on Vermaelen as he looks really good and was awesome on FM08. Rivaldo still has a season in him I reckon, need another striker but have got only £1.3 million left just better hope Cisse and Diouf can do alright until Kenwyne returns and hopefully next season I can bring in a decent striker as I am not sure that Cisse is worth the £9.5 million agreed price.

just started my new sunderland game, got to 2017 on my 08 sunderland game, hopefully i can be as sucessful, having won 6 consecutive prem titles in that save.

So far ive signed, Kevin Thomson, Rodney Sneijder (good Ajax midfielder 17 years old), a CB called Kah i think and now trying to razvan (sp?) Rat.

Sold Murphy and Leadbitter but hanging onto stokes for now i think try get him trained up and sell him for more later.

still in pre season which started with a good strong home win over anderlecht (2-0).

then only managed a 1-0 vs crewe, then held to a 1-1 by rochdale and a 0-0 by nottingham forrest so im starting to worry slightly.

But there's still time to get the winning formula.

resultspt4.th.jpg

Been very up and down season in the results, beating chelsea 2-1 on opening day was amazing but then the following 3-2 loss to everton and losses to blackburn etc have definately made me re-evaluate how well we are likely to do this season.

transferslv0.th.jpg

Those were my transfers in the summer but ive got landon donnovan from LA Galazy joining on december 1st on a free so that should help bolster my attack. Cisse has been dissapointing to the say the least, healy has been poor and prica has hardly been worth anything so ive been struggling on wingers goals mainly because Jones is still not yet match fit. But he is returning to reseve games so in a week or two he will be back :D.

Come on the rest of you lets see how you guys have managed!!

I am currently 5 Prem games into my first season with the lads.

I made a couple of signings a cb who for life of me cant think of his name at min for 5 mil, who is fitting in nicely will find his name next time i play, Rivaldo for 750k and davids on free, both of which have scored winning goals in 1-0 wins over spurs and pompey. S

till have 4 mil to spend in Jan just need to find a player.

I have won 3, city,spurs and pompey a draw against fulham and defeat to everton.

I am struggling for goals, with Cisse being very poor, has anyone found a way to get the best from him. Hoping it might turn round up front when KJ gets back.

I cant get anything out of Cisse his speed should be able to get him a few goals but in my 3 starts and on the demo he has been completely rubbish, who is the CB you have I could do with a decent CB.

Cisse has been rubbish for me as well, he always hits his shots straight at the keeper. His pace is well under-rated in this game.

Played 3 in league and lost all 3.

Man Utd 2-1 Sunderland

Villa 1-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 0-3 Man City

I was only expecting a point at best anyway.

My strongest team if no one is injured:

Gordon

Chimbona/ A.Yakubu

Insua

Nosworthy

Ferdinand/A. Song

Emerson

Diouf

Leonardo

Malbranque/Reid

Stancu/Jones

Cisse/Jones

The CB was Aquivaldo Mosquera from Sevilla, playing him alongside Anton at min, has an av rating of 7.44 which although sounds poor is the highest of my side so far. I tried some new tactics, just waiting to see how they start to gel, not too many goals from it so far but not conceding many either.

Cisse is pathetic one on one always hits the keeper. I am thinking about dropping him for a few games. He has scored one so far in 5 prem games which although not bad doesn't tell the story of the amount of chances he seems to get.

SI implimented an awesome feature a few years ago. Its called the 'Save' function.

Really I never knew I just kept my computer on for weeks at a time. I was only on it for 2 hours never use autosave, wasnt doing that well anyway it was more of a game to see who I can sign and stuff like that.

I just cant succeed with Sunderland no matter what I do, think I will have a go as someone easier I have downloaded a few tactics and tried to create my own but I just cant do anything right its really annoying me.

The few I downloaded wasn't really working. I have since created my own and I'm undecided on it so far. I have just beating Bolton in 3rd round of league cup with a reserve side. I brought on Stokes and he did enough to stay in my squad, might even get a run out in my next games against Stoke. Really getting fed up with Cisse.

im hoping i can last till december with my job still, im sitting in 17th and things arent looknig up, got jones back but him a cisse together are producing nothing. All my goals come from midfield so im struggling to score, my defence looks shakey now due to low confidence but if i can get to december ive got landon donvovan coming on a free so fingers crossed he can turn around my lack of goals.

I am gonna start a proper game tomorrow and post how I do, really want a long term game just got to find or design a tactic that works.

Looking forward to you updating us tomorrow then.

Just got beat 2-1 away to Blackburn, poor performance, back down to 18th.

I feel I well be well under pressure after the next few games, can't believe how hard of a start I have had and now it will get even worse:

Chelsea (H)

Fulham (A)

Arsenal (H)

Spurs (A)

At least, I will have an easier run into christmas.

I am sitting 4th at the min, with 4 wins 2 draws and a loss, scoring 6 goals for and 4 against. As you can see im scraping wins by the skin of my teeth.

Highest scoring prem game was 2 - 1 vs stoke and one was a lawrence og.

Jones just come back to training hopefully he will work with his height and speed.

If anyone works out a strike partnership please let me know.

I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the game when I finally get it, sounds quite hard though.

When I get it, who do you recommend I sign?

I think a player for each Defense, Midifield and Striker is needed.

Leonardo is good but got injured for 6 months for me. Insua on loan maybe, and I got Stancu for the striker option, not as good as 08 though.

Got beat 2-0 at Spurs, but followed up with a good 4-2 win over Hull after being 2-0 down after 32 minutes.

Upto 18th from 19th. Stoke away next game.

Chimbonda has fell out with me after I warned him over recent poor performances, turned up to training late and then was absent, and Louglan said he was too cocky in the warm-up against Hull :o

That sounds like Chimbonda alright lol

In my game, I had too many leagues on (every single league in the game lol) and it took about 5 minutes to load each day. I got bored pretty quickly with waiting, so I'm going to start a new game tomorrow morning and pull a bit of an all dayer to catch up with people. Out of interest, what formation do people use? I used a 4-4-2, but in the few games I played it wasn't working all too well...

Archived