"The club are projected to fail Barclays Premier League FFP player wage rise regulations"

....and I don't know enough about the rules surrounding FFP to know exactly why :(

I really didn't think as a club we were spending a ridiculous amount on wages. Would anyone be so kind to explain exactly why we're projected to fail and, more importantly, if I can do anything to stop it happening!

I've attached some screenshots so you can see our finances. Thanks in advance guys, it's our first year that we could realistically win the title and I'd hate not to because of a points deduction!!

NCFC_finances.jpg

NCFC_wages.jpg

NCFC_board_wages.jpg

Apologies for the double post. I've just stumbled across this screen which I've never looked at before.

ffp.jpg

£8 million a year over. How the hell will I be able to get this down considering we're past January?! And why did the board set a wage budget that even if I stuck to, would result in us failing FFP rules??

I wouldn't worry too much about that fella, I've had that a few times but at the end of the season when prize money etc comes in, it pretty much wipes out the "debt" and puts you back in the green..

At least it did for me in two different seasons.

Edit - even more so if you win the league, I think I got something like £130 million in tv/prize money etc, and of course it all counts as club income towards ffp

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed with the big chunk of money that comes in at the end of the season it'll all be sorted. I've prided myself on not giving anyone wages of 100k per week or over, so in my mind we were being pretty prudent compared to our peers.

I wouldn't worry too much about that fella, I've had that a few times but at the end of the season when prize money etc comes in, it pretty much wipes out the "debt" and puts you back in the green..

At least it did for me in two different seasons.

Edit - even more so if you win the league, I think I got something like £130 million in tv/prize money etc, and of course it all counts as club income towards ffp

Income is irrelevant when it comes to FFP wage increase rules. If the wageroll increases by more than the amount allowed then you'll get a fine.

Income isn't irrelevant, any additional income outside of domestic TV revenue can be used to increase the player wage budget & in theory this should include prize money,

That's not how it works, Barside. I have never been within £100m per annum of my wage budget, and never had less than £200m in the bank. In spite of that, I failed the Premier League wage FFP twice, because my wages increased beyond the percentage limit allowed. It's a pretty arbitary rule as I was living well within my budget.

If an increase in annual revenue is not being translated to an increase in allowable wage expenditure then that is a bug, I spotted a similar issue with FM15 when another forum member was kind enough to let me have a copy of their save & assumed that having raised it with SI that it had been addressed however I've not logged anywhere near the hours on FM16 that I would expect so never had the chance to check.

It is probably more an issue with how players on FM are more likely to work with a wage total well under budget, and the freedom to dramatically increase your wage total brings you in breach of the regulation because it's based on an increase on a total which was unrealistically low. I also wonder in my cases if it was due to players going out of contract and not being replaced until later in pre season, resulting in a perceived increase when in reality it was just a short period with a smaller squad.

That will be an issue, the way the rules are written encourages clubs to spend the maximum possible each season due to the limits being based on what the club spent in previous season so it is not worth holding back funds to spend at a later date because that will cause an breach of the spending limits & results in the associated penalties being applied.

Not much you can do now you're past Jan. You'll just have to take the financial hit. I can't remember how much it will be though. I know for a fact it won't be more than the amount you've overspent.

You can look this up in the leagues rule section.

Also, for those wondering, revenue can add to this limit. More income earns you the right to spend more than the cap as you actually have that money.

Income isn't irrelevant, any additional income outside of domestic TV revenue can be used to increase the player wage budget & in theory this should include prize money,

I know in-game it counts as prize money, but technically the Premier League doesn't have any - just increased domestic TV payments for higher league positions. Could this disreptency affect the interpretation of FFP rules?

The use of 'individual club revenue' is open to interpretation but having taken another read of the rules I believe it does mean that the merit payment cannot be used to offset an increase in wage expenditure above the allowed limits, also worth mentioning that the link above refers to rules that apply from next season & as such are not included in FM as they were agreed long after data & code locks.

The bug that I found last year was that projections did not include known but as yet unreceived future income or assumed income based on meeting competition targets & as a result it was setting the wage limits far below what their STCC threshold would actually be calculated at come the end of the season.

But financial fair play for wages is an increase per season. You can only increase wages by a certain amount. No matter what your income is. This is different to the profit/loss financial fair play. Like has already been said, I don't think the is a punishment for wages ffp

Have a read of the link provided by White Flag, revenue increases other than Premier Leaague TV rights can be used to offset an increase in wage expediture.

Archived