A Steam product code you activated has been removed from your account.

So, I have an issue with my copy of Football Manager 2016. I've preordered this version on one of local Russian websites ; price was only a little lower that Steam one, so I thought that seller is ok, plus he had good reputation.

However, today I logged in Steam and received message that my key is no longer valid and game is deleted from my account. I was told to contact with that seller, but I can't reach him anymore.

I just lost my game, that's it? It is extremely hard and almost impossible to receive refund from that website, since seller is no longer available.

I'm not sure that I should post about this problem here, but I'm just wondering, is anyone else having this problem?

Again, sorry if this is not the place to post about stuff like this; I already filed my ticket to Steam.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but on a FM-fansite I just read a comment from someone that his FM-license-key became invalid yesterday evening after updating to 16.3.

The lad had a screenshot posted as proof he wasn't running an illegal copy. It seems some Steam-users have issues with their registered key on Steam since updating to 16.3 yesterday?

Maybe you have the same problem?

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but on a FM-fansite I just read a comment from someone that his FM-license-key became invalid yesterday evening after updating to 16.3.

The lad had a screenshot posted as proof he wasn't running an illegal copy. It seems some Steam-users have issues with their registered key on Steam since updating to 16.3 yesterday?

Maybe you have the same problem?

With this info to hand, it may well be worth chasing steam for a response.

With this info to hand, it may well be worth chasing steam for a response.

I sent Steam a request to fix the problem 5 hours ago, but after figuring out the information from Stefaan's post, I added it in to my message to Steam Support. I also provided the key I used to purchase the game, so Steam will hopefully be able to tell that the code corresponds to a valid copy of Football Manager 2016 (I put in the code again, and I got a message back saying it was a duplicate, with the original person who used the key being myself). Here's a copy of the 2 messages I sent them:

"1 Message by you on Fri, Mar 4 2016 18:33

I purchased Football Manager 2016 from G2A with the following key - it was then promptly accepted by Steam.

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (changed from actual code used in message)

I have been playing this game since mid-December with no problems since.

However, today, I received a message from Steam saying my purchase was invalidated, and my ownership of the game was removed from Steam. I received no refund for the game, but I lost all rights to play it.

How can I get the game back? I already tried contacting the group I bought the key from, but I assume that I have already used the key and it's been nearly 90 days that I'll be unable to get a refund. Is there any way the game can be put back in my account? Thank you!

2 Message by you on Fri, Mar 4 2016 23:59

As an addendum, it seems as though everyone who bought keys from the same seller is having this problem. The keys randomly became invalidated after the game tried to go through an update yesterday, which makes me think that Steam had a bug that caused all of the keys bought from this seller to become invalidated. Please get back to me ASAP, and I hope you can correct this!"

Let's all try to keep each other updated! I made an account here because I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a problem I was having.

I can add that I was able to play FM yesterday, after 16.3 update arrived. I recieved message from Steam today in the morning.

Also, is everyone who is experiencing problems playing on a Mac? That could be another cause of the issue - maybe Steam thought the keys were for Windows-specific editions of the game?

I don't think that Mac/Windows is a problem. FM16 is a part of SteamPlay.

Steam Play allows you to purchase your games once and play anywhere. Whether you have purchased your Steam Play enabled game on a Mac or PC (both Windows and Linux), you will be able to play on the other platform free of charge.

Product keys are not split into PC/Mac versions, it does appear that the key could have been purchased from an unauthorised re-seller who were shifting region locked product codes or worse have used illegally obtained debit/credit cards to purchase products codes that they then sold at a knocked down price.

Although this is an issue between you & the retailer you could always contact Sega customer support to see if they are able to offer any assistance.

Product keys are not split into PC/Mac versions, it does appear that the key could have been purchased from an unauthorised re-seller who were shifting region locked product codes or worse have used illegally obtained debit/credit cards to purchase products codes that they then sold at a knocked down price.

If we are victims of retail fraud, I would be completely fine paying the difference between the price I paid and the retail price of the game in order to receive a code. However, as a college student with no money who has to pay for his own housing next year, the last thing I want to do is fork over another $50 to get the game. I'm in a real pickle... ;(

I do want to add, however, that the timing corresponds exactly with the update. I didn't get the message until my Steam reconnected with the internet and had 6 updates to download, including one for Football Manager 2016. This makes me think it's less likely for it to be fraud, personally.

• Administrators

To be honest I'm doubtful Sega will be able to do anything in this situation. Your best bet is to contact Steam but even then if you're buying a code from a dodgy supplier (which they no doubt are from your description) then as has already been said it was between you and the seller.

This is is why we always recommend using recognised websites and vendors when buying the game. Often when a deal is too good to be true it is. Really sorry to hear about this but dodgy cd keys websites are exactly that - dodgy and unreliable.

I also fell foul of the steam removal issue, having bought a cd-key from a third-party site - fortunately they promptly provided a full refund when I complained.

My question is, I have 350 hours on the game, and a long-term save game (saved in the steam cloud).

If I re-purchase the game, will I be able to continue on my original saved game or would I need to restart as the previous game was associated to the (now revoked) cdkey?

• Administrators

Your save game is kept entirely separate both on hard disk and via the Cloud (as it's linked to your account not the game) so should be available to you on reinstalling the game.

Not sure I'd have accepted another key form the same seller, what's to say the reason why the other key was deactivated (highly likely to be fraudulent payment by them to obtain the key) does not apply to the new key. Strikes me as fool me once shame on you (seller), fool me twice shame on me (you).

I hope for you that I am wrong on that but I would have pushed for a refund & then bought from an approved first party retailer.

Agree 100 percent. same thing happened to me a few years ago. I now pay the little extra and not worry if my game is going to be there when i want to play it next

Not sure I'd have accepted another key form the same seller, what's to say the reason why the other key was deactivated (highly likely to be fraudulent payment by them to obtain the key) does not apply to the new key. Strikes me as fool me once shame on you (seller), fool me twice shame on me (you).

I hope for you that I am wrong on that but I would have pushed for a refund & then bought from an approved first party retailer.

Unfortunately confidence scams prey on the desire to get a better deal & for the sake of €10-€15 it really doesn't seem worth the risk, saving that while putting €25 at risk makes no sense.

There is also the moral aspect of buying from sites that are consistently linked with poor procedures that open them to being used for criminal behaviour.

Archived