Something that is angering me (thoughts?)

Arsenal currently have Klopp as their manager (after i took over LFC and Wenger retired at the end of the first season). Klopp has them playing this defensive/counter attacking formation. The thing that really frustrates me about this isn't the fact that it's so defensive, it's that it's working without any decent defensive midfielders. They've played 20 games and only conceded 12 goals. Ramsey and Carzola are their main starters in that position. Neither have the abilities (in my opinion) to be able to do this position week after week and for it to work this well.

Anyone got any thoughts to add on this?

tumblr_nxoerkszXJ1r1ut21o1_1280.jpg

I believe Real Madrid also play without a real destroyer irl, their 2 midfielders are Kroos and Modric.

True, but real Madrid also have struggled to keep solid at the back. They've conceded 10 goals in 9 games. I have no problem with this working for the odd game, i just don't think attacking players would have the discipline in real life for this to work so effectively in the long term

This is strange. In my save he plays 4-2-3-1. I think 12 goals came from top teams like chelsea-city etc. Other teams must've been struggled to unlock this defence and Klopp hit them on the counter

Yeah, i managed to get a draw out of them by basically sitting back against them and giving them no choice but to attack. I couldn't believe this is how they set up for a home game against me (LFC). I was in shock

Perhaps it works because of the sheer volume of players deep? The two deep CMs don't have great defensive attributes, but (by memory) skills like Decisions, Composure, and Anticipation are fairly strong. And I think Ramsey has pretty decent Positioning. So they aren't tackling machines or marking players out of matches. They are staying in good, safe spots and they have a lot of support. If that's the case, the wide midfielders are staying deeper has to help. And their more attacking skills mean that once the ball is one, the transition game and counters can be lethal.

37 goals they've scored. Looking back, they've set up most of their games like this. Still, i don't see how they can be so solid at the back with those two midfielders expected to protect the back 4. Their average ratings are only 6.80 and 6.90, so they're not even performing that well

tumblr_nxpj7tDols1r1ut21o1_1280.jpg

Archived