FM15: Gateshead FC - Heed & Shoulders Aboves The Rest.

col_nufc1

Gateshead_FC.png

Gateshead Football Club.

After my SC Preußen Münster save now fails to load up, I am going to start a new save with Gateshead and it will be a one club save with the hope of eventually becoming one of the biggest teams in England, then Europe and finally World domination.

Countries/Leagues Loaded

All countries have leagues loaded down to their lowest level.

Argentina

Austria

Belarus

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

England

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Holland

Hungary

Iceland

Republic Of Ireland

Isreal

Italy

Mexico

Northern Ireland

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

Scotland

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine

USA

Wales

I have used a large database which gives around 139,000 players loaded at the start.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gateshead_FC.png

Gateshead Football Club.

Gateshead Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. The club participates in the Conference Premier, the fifth tier of English football. A previous version of the club was created in 1930 when South Shields F.C. relocated to Gateshead. They played in the Football League from 1930 until 1960, but were liquidated in 1973. The present club was formed in 1977.

Gary Mills is the current manager, taking over from Anth Smith who resigned in August 2013.

Early clubs in Gateshead – 1889 to 1924

The first-ever recognised club was Gateshead N.E.R. F.C., who were formed in 1889, playing in the Northern Football Alliance until 1903, however the earliest prominent club, Gateshead Town F.C. joined the Northern Football Alliance in 1905, they played their games at the Shuttles and Old Fold Park. The reputation of the club saw them join the North-East Counties League, turning professional and becoming a limited company in 1911. The club attracted large crowds at the time, including a reported attendance of 13,000. However, things started to backfire following a couple of seasons struggle, it was later decided that the club would not re-form after the end of the First World War. In 1919, a new club was reformed, originally known as Close Works, then eventually to be later renamed, Gateshead Town F.C.. Gateshead Town F.C. also played in the Northern Football Alliance League before folding in 1924.

South Shields F.C.

No club in Gateshead was the forerunner of Gateshead F.C. Gateshead Football Club started as South Shields F.C. which was formed in 1899 eight miles (14 km) from Gateshead in the town of South Shields by Jack Inskip. They played in the Northern Alliance then the North Eastern Leagues before joining the extended Football League Second Division in 1919–20. The mid-to-late 1920s saw South Shields struggling financially before in 1928 the club finished bottom and were relegated to the Third Division (North). After two unsuccessful seasons in the lower division, the struggling club took the step of not just leaving the Horsley Hill ground but of moving the club to another town in search of more support. Newcastle upon Tyne, was mentioned as a possible destination, but Gateshead was eventually chosen, mainly due to the enthusiastic support of the Gateshead Council.

Gateshead A.F.C. – Football League years – 1930 to 1960

After a six-year absence, the town of Gateshead had a new representative football club. A new stadium was constructed at Redheugh Park in the West end of Gateshead and South Shields F.C. was relocated. In August 1930, Gateshead A.F.C. started a new era when 15,545 supporters watched Gateshead beat Doncaster Rovers 2–1. Gateshead missed out on promotion, finishing runners-up decided by goal average at a time when only one promotion place was available. They were runners up again in 1932 and in 1950, but they still stayed in the lower divisions until the regional divisions were replaced by the third and fourth divisions in 1958.

In the 1950s, Gateshead enjoyed some relatively successful FA Cup runs. The 1951/52 season saw Gateshead drawn at home to West Bromwich Albion in the fourth-round. The game venue was re-located to Newcastle United's St James' Park, where 39,287 fans witnessed West Bromwich Albion coming out on top, winning the match 2–0. One of Gateshead's greatest ever seasons occurred the following year in 1952/53, the club reached the quarter-finals, having already beaten Liverpool 1–0 at home in the third-round. 15,193 spectators attended the match in the foggy Redheugh Park). Gateshead beat both Hull City and Plymouth Argyle away from home to set up a 1952–53 FA Cup sixth-round tie against Bolton Wanderers. A sold out Redheugh Park saw 17,692 fans turn up as Gateshead changed their traditional plain white shirts to an unfamiliar black and white stripes. At 0–0 late on in the match, Bolton defender, Eric Bell, handled the ball inside of the penalty area (Bell later admitted the offence), but the referee waved play-on and Bolton quickly broke away and England international Nat Lofthouse headed the ball past Gateshead goal-keeper Bob Gray to give Bolton a winning 1–0 lead. During this time the club regularly included the brothers Tom and Jack Callender, who's combined appearances for Gateshead, established a record for the most by two brothers at a single club. Jack Callender also set a personal record for the most Football League appearances for the club with a total of 470.

Gateshead missed the chance to become a member of the new National Third Division, losing out by only one point. Gateshead were founder-members of the Fourth Division. The distance in travelling between the clubs of the new National Division proved difficult for many, but especially for one as far north as Gateshead. In the 1958/59 season, Gateshead finished in twentieth (20th) position at the end of the season, then the following season, the 1959/60 campaign, Gateshead finished the season even lower than the previous one, finishing in twenty-second (22nd) position. At that time, the bottom-four teams in the Fourth Division had to apply for re-election. Gateshead applied along with Southport, who applied for the third year running, and for the seventh time altogether. Oldham Athletic, who were also applying for the second year in a row, and Hartlepool United, who were applying for the fourth time. The Football League failed to re-elect Gateshead.

Post Football League and liquidation – 1960 to 1973

With no National League System in place at the time, the club played in various regional leagues before becoming founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968. The club played in the Northern Premier League for two seasons, 1968–1969 and 1969–1970 when they finished bottom of the division and were not re-elected. After a season replacing their reserves in the parochial Wearside League, the first team were accepted to play in the Midland League. At this point, the club was in severe financial difficulties and were eventually forced to leave Redheugh Park. They took up residence at the Gateshead Youth Stadium, however the new venue did not alleviate the financial problems. Gateshead A.F.C. resigned from the Midland League and went into liquidation in August 1973.

Alternative clubs – 1973 to 1977

The next year (1974) saw yet another Gateshead club formed, Gateshead Town F.C.. Gateshead Town F.C. only managed to complete one season in the Northern Combination League before folding again. The same year, history repeated itself when the reformed South Shields, members of the Northern Premier League, moved to the Gateshead Youth Stadium and became Gateshead United F.C.. Despite having relatively successful runs in the FA Cup, the club only lasted three seasons before they went out on existence as well in 1977.

Resurrection – 1977 to today

Four years after going into liquidation, Gateshead was reformed in 1977, this time as Gateshead F.C.. The club were immediately accepted into the Northern Premier League. By this time, their home ground, the Gateshead Youth Stadium, had been upgraded and renamed as Gateshead International Stadium with facilities good enough for a higher grade of football.

After six years of consolidation, Gateshead won promotion from the Northern Premier League to the Alliance Premier League in 1983, with a record tally of points and goals scored. With a relatively lucrative sponsorship, Gateshead spent several seasons in the Football Conference. However the sponsorship money dried up, and the club started to decline, spending the 2003–04 season in the Northern Premier League First Division. A 6th place finish was enough to gain promotion to the Premier Division due to the restructuring of the National League System.

A new board was appointed under the Chairmanship of Graham Wood, which saw Gateshead regain its momentum with the appointment of Ian Bogie as manager. On 3 May 2008, Gateshead beat Buxton 2–0 in the Northern Premier League Premier Division Play-Off Final and were therefore promoted to the recently formed Conference North.

Gateshead F.C. absorbed local club Low Fell Juniors to form Gateshead Juniors from the start of the 2008/09 season expanding the number of teams under the club banner.

Gateshead finished the 2008–09 season in the Conference North in second (2nd) place. They qualified for the play-offs along with Alfreton Town, Telford United and their semi-final opponents Southport. Gateshead beat Southport 2–1 on aggregate and won the Play-Off Final 1–0 against Telford, earning promotion back to the Conference Premier where they remain.

Gateshead announced on 13 October 2009 that they would be moving to a full-time employed playing squad for the beginning of the 2010–2011 season.

On 10 December 2012, manager Ian Bogie and assistant Terry Mitchell were relieved of their duties at the club. Reserve team manager Anth Smith named caretaker manager. Three days later, Smith was named permanent manager and given a contract until the end of the 2012–13 season. On 18 August 2013, David Rush, Smith's assistant, was named as caretaker manager after his resignation, before former York City manager Gary Mills was appointed on 3 September 2013. Mills took Gateshead to third place in the Conference at the end of his first season as manager, qualifying the team for the end-of-season promotion play-offs. An aggregate win over Grimsby Town took Gateshead to their first appearance at Wembley Stadium. However, on 18 May 2014, they lost 2–1 to Cambridge United, who were promoted back into the Football League after a nine-season absence.

Gateshead_FC.png

Career Achievements

[b]Season[/b]          [b]League[/b]                               [b]Position[/b]         [b]Achievement[/b]    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014/15         Vanarama Conference                 1st                 Champions & FA Cup 5th Round   

2015/16         League Two                          1st                 Champions & FA Cup 4th Round

2016/17         League One                          1st                 Champions & Johnstone Paint Tropy winners & FA cup 5th Round

2017/18         Championship                        1st                 Champions & FA cup winners

Gateshead_FC.png

Season Expectations 2014/15

Season expectations start of season 1.jpg

I have selected the minimum requirement of reaching the playoffs this season but I expect us to be aiming for the title, especially if we can raid Newcastle United for some of there younger players. Going off past saves as Gateshead on previous versions of FM, I am very surprised with the transfer budgets on offer as it's normally set to nothing until you reach League One/Championship.

Gateshead_FC.png

Summer Transfer Window 2014/15

Transfers at the start of season 1.jpg

I made full use of our link with Newcastle United signing another three players on loan from them to go with Adam Campbell and Callum Roberts who were already here on loan. I also tried cheeky loan bids for Rolando Aarons, Mehdi Abeid, Adam Armstrong and Gabriel Obertan and although Newcastle accepted the offers, the players turned us down unsurprisingly.

Lubomir Satka - Looks like a very classy central defender for this level and he should really be playing football at a League 1 or 2 club.

Frederick Champion - Will go into the U21's and we will see how he delevops.

Tom Eaves - Will be Adam Campbell's strike partner, hopefully they will form a deadly strikeforce for us.

Sebastian Czapa - The young Polish striker will be 4th or 5th choice but has potential to develop into a key player for us in the future.

Oliver Kemen - Very happy to have been able to sign the french midfielder who will be a key player for us.

Alex Gilliead - When he returns from injury he will be our third choice striker.

Benji Büchel - Signed on a free transfer from Bournemouth due to Adam Bartlett getting injured for about two months. He is slighly better than Bartlett, I think theres half a star difference in ability between them.

Gateshead_FC.png

August 2014

Results in August in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of August in season 1.jpg

A good start to the Vanarama Conference for us, we are unbeaten after the first six games although Macclesfield are already four points clear of us at the top of the table. Tom Eaves and Adam Campbell are banging in the goals for us upfront and long may that continue because I think this season is going to be tougher than I had first thought.

Gateshead_FC.png

September 2014

Results in September in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of September in season 1.jpg

There was good and bad news in September, first the good news is that we are now top of the Vanarama Conference and we have only lost just the once in 13 games. The bad news is that Adam Campbell sprained his ankle in the win against Lincoln City and he is out for the next two months. Hopefully Alex Gilliead or Sebastian Czapa can step up and replace the goals that Campbell was scoring for us.

I think I am going to have to delete a few of the Countries that I have loaded as the game is taking too long to process between fixtures and I haven't got the time or patience to wait. The following will be removed but it'll probably be at the end of the season when it takes effect.

Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Republic Of Ireland, Israel, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Wales.

It will leave me with these.

Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, England, Germany, Greece, Holland, Italy, Mexico, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, USA and Ukraine.

Gateshead_FC.png

October 2014

Results in October in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of October in season 1.jpg

Without injured Adam Campbell's goals we have been struggling to find the back of the net and have only managed to score more than one goal once in five games in October. We have still managed to pick up 7 points out of a possible 12 though and are 3 points clear at the top of the Vanarama Conference.

We are also through to the 1st round of the FA cup after beating Wrexham in the 4th qualifying round. We play League Two side Northampton Town at Sixfields Stadium next month in what will be a tough game for us.

Gateshead_FC.png

November 2014

Results in November in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of November in season 1.jpg

We are still top of the Vanarama Conference after a mixed bag in terms of results, we won three games and lost two. Eastleigh could go top though if they win there game inhand on us as we are coming towards the halfway point in the season.

We beat Northampton Town in the FA cup 1st round quite easily and have setup a second round tie with League One side Rochdale.

Gateshead_FC.png

December 2014

Results in December in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of December in season 1.jpg

We have dropped to second place in the Vanarama Conference, although if we win our game inhand then we shall return to the top. Alex Gilliead has taken up the goalscoring mantle from the injured Adam Campbell and has scored a impressve six goals in December.

In the FA Cup second round we beat League One side Rochdale, I was hoping for a big team away from home in the third round but we got another side from League One in Leyton Orient :(.

A weakened side was to good for Vanarama Conference North side Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Trophy North first round and has setup a 2nd round tie with Woking. I will be putting out another weak side as there will be too many games for us anyway without playing in the FA Trophy.

Gateshead_FC.png

January 2015

Results in January in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of January in season 1.jpg

We only had three Vanarama Conference games in January due to the number of cup games we had to play but we still picked up six points out of a possible nine to remain in second place. We are now five points behind leaders Macclesfieldbut we still have that game inhand on them.

We have beaten another two League One teams in the FA cup in Leyton Orient and MK Dons in the third and fourth rounds. In the fifth round we play Championship side Derby County at the iPro stadium, we will no doubt get hammered off them and we had no luck in getting a big Premier League side to boost the clubs finances.

Our weakened side took a first team Woking side to two games in the FA Trophy before going out, which I am delighted with to be honest. It means the players have more time to recover after playing a ridculous number of matches recently.

Gateshead_FC.png

Winter Transfer Window 2014/15

Winter%20transfers%20in%20season%201.jpg

We signed two players in the transfer window both were transfer listed but had a asking price of nothing.

Magnus Okuonghae - He will be our fourth choice central defender.

Shaun Brisley - He will be our third choice central defender and will partner Lubomir Satka and Valentin Gjokaj at the heart of our defence.

Gateshead_FC.png

February 2015

Results in February in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of February in season 1.jpg

We are back at the top of the Vanarama Conference as our yo-yoing with Macclesfield continues in this exciting two horse race for the title. Macclesfield have a game inhand on us now and if they win it then they will go top with the season coming towards an end now. There is nine games left for us to push on and claim this title and not have to go through the rigmarole of the playoffs.

Our run in the FA cup came to an abrupt end after Derby County give us a footballing lesson at the iPro Stadium in the fifth round :o:(.

Good start to the season, for some reason whilst I have no family connections to Gateshead or ever been there I have a soft spot for them and keep an eye out for their scores on Soccer Saturday. I bet even though you lost to Derby, you still got a decent financial windfall from getting to Round 5 of the FA Cup.

Good start to the season, for some reason whilst I have no family connections to Gateshead or ever been there I have a soft spot for them and keep an eye out for their scores on Soccer Saturday. I bet even though you lost to Derby, you still got a decent financial windfall from getting to Round 5 of the FA Cup.

Thanks mate, we only made £215k in prize money from the FA cup run, I am not sure how much we got from gate receipts but I wouldn't of thought it would of been much when we played Wrexham, Northampton, Rochdale, Leyton Orient, MK Dons and Derby. With all due respect to them clubs they aren't big clubs that have big stadiums.

I've always had a soft spot for Gateshead too but that's probably due to me living not too far away but it's nice to see others taking interest in them :). Gateshead play some lovely football as well, especially for the level there at and that will probably be why more people are taking more interest in them possibly.

Gateshead_FC.png

March 2015

Results in March in season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference table end of March in season 1.jpg

We only had the three games in March but we won all of them to stay at the top of the Vanarama Conference. We are two points clear of Macclesfield and we have a game inhand on them now, we have also guaranteed a place in the playoffs.

Wow, brilliant run in FA Cup :eek: Such a shame you didn't get Premier League clubs :( Good season :D

Thanks mate, we had a easy run in the FA cup to be fair but I would of happily been knocked out in the third round if we got a big Premier League side away from home.

Gateshead_FC.png

Season Review 2014/2015

We had a great season in my first in charge of Gateshead, we won the Vanarama Conference and had a great FA cup run reaching the fifth round. Macclesfield Town who give us a hell of a fight for the title missed out on promotion after getting hammered in the semi final of the playoffs by Forest Green Rovers, who in turn lost the final after extra time against Eastleigh.

Vanarama Conference Table

Vanarama Conference table end of season 1.jpg

Vanarama Conference Player Stats

Vanarama Conference player stats end of season 1.jpg

The Squad

Squad end of season 1.jpg

Star Player

Adam Campbell end of season 1.jpg

The Future

Quite a few of the squad are out of contract and will not be getting them renewed, so we will see a massive turnover of players over the coming months. Obviously I will be trying to get some youngsters on season long loans from Newcastle United again as well as raiding the free agent market. Hopefully the board will give us a decent wage budget to be able to attract the players needed to perform in League Two, as I already have my eye on one or two players that could be huge signings for us.

Gateshead_FC.png

Summer Transfer Window 2015/16

Transfers at the start of season 2.jpg

Say hello to the Gateshead new boys for the 2015/16 season. As I said there has been a lot of movement bringing players in and letting players leave. I tried to sign a load of Newcastle United players on season long loans but after having the bids accepted the players turned us down, even the players we had on loan last season.

Jonathan Smith at the start of season 2.jpg

Ryan Williams at the start of season 2.jpg

Ryan Burge at the start of season 2.jpg

Joel Byrom at the start of season 2.jpg

Jonathan Franks at the start of season 2.jpg

Jason Taylor at the start of season 2.jpg

Simon Walton at the start of season 2.jpg

Daniel Nardiello at the start of season 2.jpg

Harry Worley at the start of season 2.jpg

Shaun Miller at the start of season 2.jpg

Marcus Williams at the start of season 2.jpg

Alfie Mawson at the start of season 2.jpg

Connor Randall at the start of season 2.jpg

Tom Eaves at the start of season 2.jpg

Roarie Deacon at the start of season 2.jpg

Modou%20Cham%20at%20the%20start%20of%20season%202.jpg

Kwame Thomas at the start of season 2.jpg

Gateshead_FC.png

August 2015

Results in August in season 2.jpg

League Two table end of August in season 2.jpg

We have made a great start to life in League Two and we are unbeaten after the first five matches and sit at the top of the table in August.

In the Capital One cup first round we beat Championship side Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. In the second round we played against Premier League oppostion in QPR at the International Stadium and they were too good for us beating us easily and sending us out of the competition.

Due to the number of games we played in August I had to play a weakened team against Bury in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy North 1st round. After drawing a pretty poor match we lost on penalties 24-23 :eek:, every player had scored for both sides until my goalkeeper Benji Büchel put his effort wide to send us out.

Gateshead_FC.png

September 2015

Results in September in season 2.jpg

League Two table end of September in season 2.jpg

September was a shocking month for us as we only pick up five points from a possible fifteen and drop to fifth place in League Two. We must improve quickly because our performances this month have just not been good enough, so hopefully it's just a blip and we get back to winning ways sooner rather than later.

Gateshead_FC.png

October 2015

Results in October in season 2.jpg

League Two table end of October in season 2.jpg

October was a much better month for us both in performances and in results. We won four games out of six, picking up twelve points in the process to move up a couple of places in the league to third place.

Gateshead_FC.png

November 2015

Results in November in season 2.jpg

League Two table end of November in season 2.jpg

We only had three games in League Two in November and we continued our good form by picking up seven points out of a possible nine. We are still in third place and four points behind league leaders Luton Town.

In the FA cup first round we beat Wycombe Wanderers to setup a second round clash with the team I turned down the managers job with AFC Wimbledon.

Archived