What is the point of the enhanced match engine?

I know that, ostensibly, it makes the game more realistic. The problem with that though, is that it creates problems during matches that we can't address with the tactical options available to us. The PS Vita game was much more interesting as you could change the course of a game with very defined instructions, the enhanced match engine on FMH presents better tactical approaches from opposition teams with a very very limited counter at our disposal

Yeah, i think Dean is right.

The new enhanced match engine is probably the start to more tactical options, so that in the future (FMH16 or 17) we can have a match engine closer to the one use in FM.

At this moment, we are in some limbo situation: We have the match engine, but dont have the tools (aka game options) to use it. Options like man marking, mentality for players, etc.

In any case, this enhanced match engine it's always better than the original one. At least now we have a glimpse of a tatical concept.

I quite like the engine; makes it feel like you're actually watching a game. Last season's engine had everything backwards, with left foot shots being reported as right foot, and random nonsense. I don't think we need massive more tactics (though maybe a man marking option would be useful). The whole point of this is that it's light touch, close to the old classic Championship Manager.

I quite like the engine; makes it feel like you're actually watching a game. Last season's engine had everything backwards, with left foot shots being reported as right foot, and random nonsense. I don't think we need massive more tactics (though maybe a man marking option would be useful). The whole point of this is that it's light touch, close to the old classic Championship Manager.

It doesn't feel like you're watching a game though does it? The opposition teams can make a lot of changes and we simply can't respond to them. Managing a big team means that teams will man mark and sit deep, and we can't tell players to roam from their position etc to draw the defence out,the match you'd watch is with one manager making changes accordingly, while the other sits on the bench twiddling his thumbs for at least 85 minutes hoping for some luck. I really enjoy FMH, and I dislike complaining about it. However the new match engine is just a let down for me. If, as the other members said, that new tactical options may appear in future games then it's even more confusing, shouldn't the tactics have come first to make the original match engine more realistic?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the above. The enhanced ME seems too difficult if I am playing with anything less than a top club as I can't react to any changes in the match and end up conceeding lots of soft goals. I create chances easily enough and score a fair share and that is using the 'balanced' mentality. Becoming defensive just invites more pressure on to me and attacking exposes my poor goalkeeper. That is about all that is available.

I havn't made it to christmas in my last few games. Its a shame as I find the game enjoyable, its just that no changes that i make seem a blind bit of difference defensively. The ability to control my marking may help.

I also find the fact that i cant speed up the original engine to be annoying. Playing with a top club is boring. Time to endure another disappointing 3 and a half months before getting the iron at West Ham....

I think those criticising the enhanced match engine are overcomplicating matters. It's there to enjoy a more realistic view of the match. If you have the settings on slow and extended then you are more or less watching a whole game. If you're losing, go attacking, if you're winning but are under a lot of pressure, go defensive. If the opposition starts getting more shots on goal, consider bumping up the midfield with an extra player and switch player roles from attack minded roles to defensive ones.

I have plenty of success with it.

• 9 months later...
  • SI Staff
Hi guys,

How do I get the new enhanced match engine on my iPhone? Is it an update? If so can I do it via my iPhone or does it need to be done via a pc?

Cheers

You can use the enhanced match engine by going to Preferences -> Starting Configuration from the main menu. This change will require you to start a new game (saves started in original match engine will still work but wont be enhanced).

Archived